How To Replace Broken Tiles Without Draining Pool

simon43

I have heard that this is possible. My swimming pool has several broken white tiles on the floor, where it seems that there was an air pocket in the concrete under the tile - and some fat elephant has stood on the tile and broken it!

I'm loath to drain the pool unless it is absolutely necessary. Is there a procedure that I can follow to replace the broken tiles whilst the pool is full? The pool is in Phuket. Where can I buy the necessary tile glue from etc?

Thanks for any advice

Simon

There is a marine glue available from specialty houses available, but its really only good for 3-4 tiles. Requires scuba, and unless you cold hold your breath for a LONG time, or its in the shallow end. Usually, the broken tiles are in the deep end (water weight). And the grout cannot be replaced, which makes the tile standout a bit. We have had limited success, but in reality, we drain, repair, and refill.

Best,

Gil

Pooldoctor, thanks for your reply. There are 2 broken white tiles in about 1 meter of water. Only the corner of each tile is broken (about 4x4cm).

I want to do a temporary repeair (since it is high season and my hotel is very busy - and then drain the pool in low season for a permanent repair).

Do you know the name of the special glue, and where I can buy it in Phuket? As for scuba gear, I've worked before in the pool by using an airtube and some weights to keep me on the bottom - not difficult :)

Simon

Pooldoctor, thanks for your reply. There are 2 broken white tiles in about 1 meter of water. Only the corner of each tile is broken (about 4x4cm).

I want to do a temporary repeair (since it is high season and my hotel is very busy - and then drain the pool in low season for a permanent repair).

Do you know the name of the special glue, and where I can buy it in Phuket? As for scuba gear, I've worked before in the pool by using an airtube and some weights to keep me on the bottom - not difficult :)

Simon

you mentioned an air pocket earlier, this is probably not an air pocket, but water that has got underneath the tiles. If you go down to the area on the floor of your pool with a chisel or screwdriver you'll probably find that is more than 2 tiles.

I've used a glue from the plumbing section of the hardware store, it is green colour on the outside and white in the middle, it comes in a sealed tube. you break a piece off and massage it in your hand until totally white and it is ready to use underwater, you have 10 minutes or so before it goes off. If you have gear to stay underwater and some patience you could fix the area if it is only 10 tiles or so. including using the glue to grout in between the tiles. I have done this and it looks great.

Ideally as the pooldoc says drain and fix is the best solution.

The only problem you are going to have is leaving it longer more tiles will get water under them

• 3 months later...

Well, just a quick follow-up about my tile repairs. I purchased several sticks of the marine putty from HomePro and set to work on the broken tiles. Since my pool is not deep - 1.4 metres throughout, it was possible to simply take a deep breath, swim down to the area under repair, push the putty into the hole and then come up for air, and then repeat until the hole was covered.

I can say that this putty was very easy to use, and it did not stick to my fingers, but remained sticking to the pool floor/adjacent tiles without any problem.

The repaired areas are visible, but look much better than prior to the repair.

So I definitely recommend this marine putty

Simon

• 3 months later...