Pattaya Jet Ski Scam

Lovedog100

Yes I know that there is another Jet ski post. This is a good video and should be seen and not buried eight pages back. It's one of the two groups that rent jet ski's across from Mike Mall in Pattaya. There used to be one group of scamers working that part of the beach. I guess it got so profitable that there is two groups there now. I have personally watched several people pay for the same damage, several days in a row. I wish Thai Visa would allow pictures to be posted. The people being scamed and threatened in this video are Indian. Maybe that is why they were charged less. I've seen several Russian's pay 60,000 baht and more for damage that was already there. For those of you that will say this isn't the norm, I invite you to sit on the beach across from Mike mall and watch. Especially towards the end of the day. The police or the tourist police will show if called. Obviously they get a cut of the action. With the tourist police, it's always the same Thai guy that shows up and tells the victims to pay.

Interesting, not long ago the Pattaya ex-pats club had a Thai attorney speak and bring up the subject. He said not to get the police involved, because they just take a cut of the money. He said that it's a civil matter, not a criminal matter, and the police have no jurisdiction. That may be true. But from what I've seen, the tourist will call the police out of fear for their life, or the jet ski scammers will call the tourist police just to have someone in uniform tell the tourist to pay the money. Either way, the jet ski guys make a big payday. I'm sure that they make more money from one scam a day, than for renting the jet ski all day long.

In short, if you feel that you have to rent a jet ski, do not do it across from Mikes mall. Try another location, and have them beach the jet ski and take pics of it before you go out on it. You often rent while the ski is in the water, however when you return it, they beach it and look for scratches below the water line. The jet skis are beached several times a day, and sand is abrasive. Of course there are scratches.