American Football

ChuckZ

The Pats are ranked 7th. The Pats have played 6 games. Teams ranked 1-6 have played 5 games. I was watching the Patriots when they were called the Boston Patriots before the Super Bowl.

Yes, they are ranked 7th in AVG YDS rushing per game. Where were they before the Dallas game, when they played with their #1 RB, Maroney, Inactive; and their #2 RB, Morris, knocked out of the game in the 1st half? They were #1, Mack. #1.

In any case, even now, I'd hardly classify 7th of 32 teams as having "no running game".

I'm 64, Mack. I was born and raised in Boston. I became a Patriots fan in 1959, when it was announced that Billy Sullivan would create a team in the AFC for the city of Boston. I have been a Patriots fan for all of their 47+ seasons since then. Many good seasons. Many more bad ones. I waited 41 years for them to have a Championship team. Now that they have achieved that 3 times, I acknowledge that I'm "a bit sensitive" about unfair, and often uninformed, criticism of those achievements.

This is already one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. Only the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 70's have achieved more in one "era" (same HC, same QB) than have the Patriots. Bill Belichick, despite his less than endearing public demeanor, is, in fact, a genius within the context of NFL football. Tom Brady is, undeniably, one of the best managers of a game, and of any given individual play within a game, that has ever played the QB position. The combination of Belichick and Scott Pioli have done one of the best jobs in the history of the sport of identifying, and either drafting or signing players who understand, and fit into, the team philosophy they have created. The players they have made a part of this team all have a solid combination of talent, intelligence, desire, and selflessness. Those four things are the primary factors that have led to the success of this team. And they have done this in the Salary Cap era, when the turnover on all teams is far greater than it has ever been in the NFL.

No video taping, fiddling with audio systems, bad calls by officials, lucky bounces of the ball, or other ludicrous excuses or accusations, explain their success. The reasons are very clear, for those intelligent and objective enough to recognize them. For those who are not, see above. :o

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the Cowboys beat themselves. They had 12 penalties.

I didn't want to say it as it would sound like sour grapes, so I am glad you did. It was the penalties that really killed Dallas. The Pats are still a better team, but things like pass interference on the Cowboys goal line that replays showed didn't happen let this game get out of hand.

Hmm. I notice that you make no mention of the Offensive PI call against Moss on his TD reception, which was also labeled by Phil Simms as a bad call. That was an actual TD that was called back. The Pats had to settle for a FG on that drive.

Your alleged bad call (in the opinion of Phil Simms) was made on a 2nd and 7, at the Dallas 16 yard line, with Dallas leading, 24-21. Had it not been called, the Pats may have had to settle for a FG, to tie the game. On the other hand, they would have had a 3rd and 7. Given Brady's succes on 3rd Down in the game, it may also have simply delayed another Patriots TD. Fair enough? That call was made with 5:07 remaining in the 3rd Q. So, if the Pats had tied it with a FG at that point, what makes you believe that the eventual outcome would have been different? The TD gave the Pats a 4 point lead at the time. I'm afraid I have to say that you're way off base in claiming that the call "let this game get out of hand". The game went into the 4th Quarter with the Patriots leading by a TD. Was it "out of hand" at that point? Had you given up hope that the Cowboys had any chance to win, because the Patriots got a TD, instead of an almost certain FG, when the score was 24-21, Cowboys? :o

The call against Moss came in the 4th Q, with the Pats already leading 38-27. So, without the call, it would have been 45-27. With only 5:51 remaining when the call was made, neither Moss, Brady, nor any Pats fan, was too upset. We got the FG, to give us the 2 TD lead, with only 4:02 remaining. Not a problem. :D

So, thanks, PKG, for your acknowledgement of the Patriots greatness. Most non-Patriots fans choose to find reasons other than the talent, intelligence, and effort of the Patriots coaches and players, for the success of my team. Those who understand the game; have the objectivity to see the facts; and the character to suppress the envy and jealousy that can blur the truth, salute the Patriots' success, as I salute the success of the Steelers' of the 70's, the Cowboys of the 60's, and the 49ers of the 80's.

NFL football is a great game. All NFL fans should appreciate those who play it at the highest level, without regard to their personal loyalties and prejudices.

Patsfangr, somehow in all this you seem to forget that your almighty Patriots haven't beaten the Colts in over two years! You know I am a Cowboys fan and not a Colts fan, but the Colts are the reigning champions and they are still undefeated this year. Right now, until proven differently, the Colts are the best team in the NFL.

Don't you agree?

I agree with a couple of things you've said today, OMR.

First is that this was NOT an easy game for the Patriots. I acknowledged in my first post-game note that the Cowboys are for real, and have a number of outstanding players. This game was, indeed, not won until the 4th Quarter. It was won because the Patriots coaching staff made better adjustements than did the Cowboys staff; and because the Patriots have more outstanding players at key positions than do the Cowboys. I will be amazed if the Cowboys do not win the NFC Championship this year. Only Wade Phillips can prevent that, IMO. (STUPID decision to go for the FG, rather than the TD, late in the game, trailing by 2 TDs. Equally STUPID decision to stop running Barber with 1:40 Remaining in the 3rd Q! He had just made that great run where he punched Harrison in the head. They gave him one more handoff, which only netted a couple of yards. They didn't run him ONE TIME after that!)

Secondly, you are correct in stating that the Patriots haven't beaten the Colts in two years. But have you thought about the reasons why? For the past two seasons, the Patriots have not had anything close to a decent WR corps for Brady to throw to. Last year's crew was composed ENTIRELY of guys who are no better than #3 WRs on any team this season! This year, I think the quality of the receiving corps is obvious to any knowledgeable NFL fan. It is at least the equal of what Peyton Manning has had for his entire career. And he, by the way, has ONE SB ring. Brady has THREE!

The Indianapolis Colts are the World Champions. They will remain the World Champions unless and until another team wins the Super Bowl this year. Even if they lose, as I believe they will, in the Playoffs; they will still hold the title until it formally passes to someone else.

However, holding the title doesn't mean that they are, at every moment in time, the "best team in the NFL". The various ratings of the analysts and media sites acknowledge that. Check the "Power Ratings" presented earlier in this thread. Check the commentary of any NFL news show on TV or on the internet. Currently, the New England Patriots performance in this season makes them the "best team in the NFL." The Colts will have the opportunity to earn that designation on Nov 4, assuming that both teams win their next 2 games, as they should. (Although I would not be shocked by a Jaguars upset of the Colts next week. I can't see the Panthers doing it in Carolina, because they have no QB, and aren't as solid on D as are the Jags.)

I hope you understand my point there, OMR. The title is awarded once a year, and can only change hands after the Super Bowl. But the teams change so much every season, that recognition as "the best team in the NFL" is up for grabs every week. The Colts team we see now is not the one that won the Super Bowl. And, most assuredly, the Patriots team we see now is not the one that lost to the Colts in the AFC Championship last year. I know you will agree with that point. :o

Actually, both teams (Colts and Pats) are stronger this year. Nov. 4th will be a war, regardless of whether either wins their next two games. This is the game both teams have been pointing for and is the lead up to the Championship game (or should be).

one of their starting CB's being out and the other starting CB playing injured. Their secondary is weak and Brady exploited that over and over. When you have an injured conre

Also, the Cowboys beat themselves. They had 12 penalties.

I didn't want to say it as it would sound like sour grapes, so I am glad you did. It was the penalties that really killed Dallas. The Pats are still a better team, but things like pass interference on the Cowboys goal line that replays showed didn't happen let this game get out of hand.

Hmm. I notice that you make no mention of the Offensive PI call against Moss on his TD reception, which was also labeled by Phil Simms as a bad call. That was an actual TD that was called back. The Pats had to settle for a FG on that drive.

Your alleged bad call (in the opinion of Phil Simms) was made on a 2nd and 7, at the Dallas 16 yard line, with Dallas leading, 24-21. Had it not been called, the Pats may have had to settle for a FG, to tie the game. On the other hand, they would have had a 3rd and 7. Given Brady's succes on 3rd Down in the game, it may also have simply delayed another Patriots TD. Fair enough? That call was made with 5:07 remaining in the 3rd Q. So, if the Pats had tied it with a FG at that point, what makes you believe that the eventual outcome would have been different? The TD gave the Pats a 4 point lead at the time. I'm afraid I have to say that you're way off base in claiming that the call "let this game get out of hand". The game went into the 4th Quarter with the Patriots leading by a TD. Was it "out of hand" at that point? Had you given up hope that the Cowboys had any chance to win, because the Patriots got a TD, instead of an almost certain FG, when the score was 24-21, Cowboys? :o

The call against Moss came in the 4th Q, with the Pats already leading 38-27. So, without the call, it would have been 45-27. With only 5:51 remaining when the call was made, neither Moss, Brady, nor any Pats fan, was too upset. We got the FG, to give us the 2 TD lead, with only 4:02 remaining. Not a problem. :D

The penalties hurt the Cowboys as they came at bad times, but really, the Cowboys lost because Brady was able to exploit the Cowboys main weakness during this game. That being at the corner back position. One starting CB (Henry) didn't play due to injury and the other starting CB (Newman) was playing with a bad ankle. You couple this with Brady throwing to extremely talented wide receivers and you have an advantage that can't be overcome (and wasn't).

Totally unrelated, but a good time to throw it in. Romo had a horrible day throwing 5 interceptions against the Bills. I wonder how many people know that just 4 days earlier he was told that his father was diagnosed with cancer. These things never show up in statistics.

OMR and MACK, I want to calmly, and factually, address your references to the fact that the Colts have beaten the Pats for the last two years. Really, no anger here. I just want to present some facts for your review and comments. OK?

Let's begin with the most important of those games, last year's AFC Championship. Going into the 4th Quarter, after building a 21-6 lead at half time, the Patriots were leading, 28-21. The Colts won it, 38-34. The Patriots 1-2 starting WRs were Reche Caldwell, cut during pre-season this year, and Jabar Gaffney, signed off the street in mid-season, and now our #4 WR. The Colts, of course, had two guys named Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison.

During the regular season, Nov 5, to be exact, the Colts beat the Pats, 27-20. The Pats starting WRs in that one were Doug Gabriel, who was cut later in the season, and our "grand old man", Troy Brown. The Colts, of course, had Wayne and Harrison.

In the 2005 regular season, the Colts destroyed the Patriots, 40-17, on Nov 7. (Those early Nov meetings seem to be an NFL scheduling requirement!) :-) Wayne and Harrison accounted for 18 receptions, 252 yards, and 3 TDs in that one. The Patriots went almost equally to a trio of WRs; Brown, Deion Branch, and David Givens. They netted 14 receptions for 179 yards and 2 TDs.

You may recall that, in that season, neither the Patriots nor the Colts made it to the AFC Championship. The Colts were dumped by the Steelers, and the Patriots eliminated by the Broncos. So, despite the anomaly of the Colts ONLY dominating win over the Patriots since Manning arrived there, we'd have to say that this was an "off year" for both teams.

My point here is that the 2007 edition of the Patriots is far superior to any of the teams they've had during the Belichick era. Brady has never had a receiving corps like Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Watson. They have never had a LB corps like Adalius Thomas, Bruschi, Seau, Vrable, and Colvin. The margins of victory last year, and the improvements to the Patriots offensive and defensive rosters this year, give me a very high degreeof confidence that this season will see the Patriots resume the domination of the Colts that they had enjoyed through all of Manning's career, prior to 2005. The game is in the Indy dome. That will definitely aid the Colts. But I do not believe that they will be able to contain the Patriots awesome passing game any better than any other team has. They will, almost certainly, score at least as many offensive points as did the Cowboys (20). However, if neither team has any key players missing due to injury, I don't believe they can hold the Patriots to any fewer than 30 points. It's too early to predict a final score. Let's wait until a few days before the game for that. But, unless the Pats do suffer some major injuries, I'm confident that they will beat the Colts on Nov 4; and again in the AFC Championship.

That said, I sure do wish we'd drafted Addai, instead of Maroney. One is a warrior. The other is an injury prone ballarina!

Totally unrelated, but a good time to throw it in. Romo had a horrible day throwing 5 interceptions against the Bills. I wonder how many people know that just 4 days earlier he was told that his father was diagnosed with cancer. These things never show up in statistics.

I did see that note during the Bills game. I completely agree that Romo showed a lot of professionalism just to show up for that game. He's a ###### good young QB. I expect him to be right there in the competition for All Pro over the next few years. Even in this game, I thought he played very well, given the D he was up against.

No negatives about Romo from me. Nothing but compliments and respect. I hope his father is able to achieve a complete recovery from the Cancer.

The penalties hurt the Cowboys as they came at bad times, but really, the Cowboys lost because Brady was able to exploit the Cowboys main weakness during this game. That being at the corner back position. One starting CB (Henry) didn't play due to injury and the other starting CB (Newman) was playing with a bad ankle. You couple this with Brady throwing to extremely talented wide receivers and you have an advantage that can't be overcome (and wasn't).

C'mon, OMR! Depth is part of a team! The Patriots played that game:

- without Richard Seymour, thier best DL, and an All Pro

..... our DL still outplayed the Cowboys OL

- without Laurence Maroney, their #1 RB

..... our running game still ate up the clock in the 4th Quarter

- with the 1st half loss of their starting RB for the game, Sammy Morris, and their #1 TE, Ben Watson

..... again, the running game succeeded late, and Brady threw a TD to our #2 TE, Kyle Brady.

The plain truth is that the Patriots are the better team. They have better coaching. They have a better receiving corps. They have a better QB (if only because of experience, since Romo IS good). They have a better DL. They have a better OL. They have a deeper secondary (Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Wilson, Sanders, Harrison, gives us 6 "quality starters"). They're just better, OMR. I'm not dissing the Cowboys. But the 2007 Patriots are a better team than the 2007 Cowboys.

Pats

It does look like your team easily man handled the cowboys(who some say are the best in the NFC)........

The Patriots won, however, given that the Cowboys were ahead in the third quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th quarter your comment above shows that either you didn't see the game or you don't understand it.

The Pats were clearly the better team, but there was nothing easy about it.

Cry me a river man

It wasn't close, the Pats were playing with them. T.O can stay quite for very much longer before he blows up.

:o

PKG

Pats

It does look like your team easily man handled the cowboys(who some say are the best in the NFC)........

The Patriots won, however, given that the Cowboys were ahead in the third quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th quarter your comment above shows that either you didn't see the game or you don't understand it.

Cry me a river man

It wasn't close, the Pats were playing with them. T.O can stay quite for very much longer before he blows up.

PKG

Oh, so you didn't see the game but still feel qualified to comment on it.

I do hope your beloved Steelers are competitive this year in the big games they will have coming up. They can make the AFC more than just a two horse race as that is what it looks like the NFC is becoming.

Pats

Cry me a river man

PKG

Oh, so you didn't see the game but still feel qualified to comment on it.

I do hope your beloved Steelers are competitive this year in the big games they will have coming up. They can make the AFC more than just a two horse race as that is what it looks like the NFC is becoming.

Oh I saw the game. If you take off your rose color glasses you would have seen that the Pats beat the boys like a red headed step child. I am not taking anything away from the boys, as they played the Pats better than anyone else has so far this year. What would they say in Texas? Beat,em like a rented mule! :D

If Greenbay can find somekind of running game the boys season would all but be over.(except the crying)

PKG

To: True Visions

For your information, the Sunday night games and Monday Night Football games are scheduled by the NFL to be high profile games usually involving teams with wining records and established worldwide interest. Not only do these schedules benefit the fans it is an advantage to the networks and advertisers as well. These games were shown live on Monday and Tuesday mornings which were convenient for the fans here in Thailand... Surely some monies can be found and dedicated to buy a few NFL games...

Your consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

I received this response from True Visions regarding Sunday/Monday night football:

Dear Sir:

We are terribly sorry for late reply. Please be advised that eventually, the negotiation is over and we are not able to obtain the license for four NFL games a week. We have only two games through the whole season that are on Monday Morning at 0.00 am and 3.00 am. We are not able to secure the right from ESPN that live NFL games on Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

NFL Week # 7

Mon 22 Tennessee at Houston (L) 00.00 TS 4

Mon 22 Chicago at Philadelphia (L) 03.15 TS 4

TrueVisions is striving to offer the best of our service to subscribers. We sincerely apologize if this should disturb the viewing experience and assure that this was never our intention. We will strive to improve of our sports program line-up consistent with what the subscribers told us about their viewing interests. Your suggestions are appreciated and will be referred to the program providers for further consideration.

Should you have any further enquiry, do not hesitate to contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

We are so grateful for your trust in our service and support us all time.

Best regards,

True Visions

Disappointed but not surprised...fortunately I wasn't holding my breath!!!

Edited by mauiguy90

Oh I saw the game. If you take off your rose color glasses you would have seen that the Pats beat the boys like a red headed step child. I am not taking anything away from the boys, as they played the Pats better than anyone else has so far this year. What would they say in Texas? Beat,em like a rented mule! :o

PKG

Whatever. At least my team didn't get beat up by the Arizona Cardinals! The Steelers will have a chance to show what they are made of this year when they play the Patriots on December 9th. If you want to see a team get crushed, watch that game.

Maui Guy,

I received the same email, word for word, earlier today, and it didn't entirely mesh with my questions. Now I understand.

Ah well. Back to the current method, apparently, where anyone who spots a game posts it here on TV. They also told me in that email that their schedules are printed two months in advance, which is why they're often wrong.

At least they answered quickly. We must be making some noise. I mentioned that the only reason I subscribe to Gold and not Silver is for the NFL, so they could lose some money. Everybody else who writes, mention that too.

Michael

Bill's tight end Kevin Everett briefly stood up with the aid of a walker. Congrats.

That's really great news! The kid obviously will never play football again. But at least he should be able to have a somewhat normal life, if his mobility continues to improve.

Such serious injuries are very much the dark side of the sport I love so much. I wish there were some way to completely eliminate them; but, of course, the nature of the game, the hitting that makes it as much fun for us to watch as it is, makes injury an unavoidable eventuality.

The very best to Kevin Everett!

We are terribly sorry for late reply. Please be advised that eventually, the negotiation is over and we are not able to obtain the license for four NFL games a week. We have only two games through the whole season that are on Monday Morning at 0.00 am and 3.00 am. We are not able to secure the right from ESPN that live NFL games on Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

Doesn't surprise me either. ESPN doesn't want to run the NFL games (for whatever reason), but neither do they want anybody else to run them.

My recent correspondence regarding the NFL games on True Visions:

Dear grantbkk:

We are terribly sorry for late reply.

Please be advised that eventually, the negotiation is over and we are not able to obtain the license for four NFL games a week. We have only two games through the whole season that are on Monday Morning at 0.00 am and 3.00 am. We are not able to secure the right from ESPN that live NFL games on Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

NFL Week # 7

Mon 22 Tennessee at Houston (L) 00.00 TS 4

Mon 22 Chicago at Philadelphia (L) 03.15 TS 4

TrueVisions is striving to offer the best of our service to subscribers. We sincerely apologize if this should disturb the viewing experience and assure that this was never our intention. We will strive to improve of our sports program line-up consistent with what the subscribers told us about their viewing interests. Your suggestions are appreciated and will be referred to the program providers for further consideration.

Should you have any further enquiry, do not hesitate to contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

We are so grateful for your trust in our service and support us all time.

Best regards,

Service: Correspondence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 14 October 2007 06:28 PM

To: Truevisions_Care; True/AsiaNet

Cc: Truevisions_Care

Subject: Complaint (constructive) and Suggestion

To: Kantima Kunjara, Director for Communications

Chulathai Salidupta, Senior Manager for Programming

Dear Sirs: I really don’t want to seem like a pest, however I want to address your companies decision not to purchase additional American football (NFL) games for the 2007 season. In years past UBC and last year True Visions had four games per week on your live sports schedule. This year you have added several sports channels but cut the number of live NFL games by 50% to two.

For your information, the Sunday night games and Monday Night Football games are scheduled by the NFL to be high profile games usually involving teams with wining records and established worldwide interest. Not only do these schedules benefit the fans it is an advantage to the networks and advertisers as well. These games were shown live on Monday and Tuesday mornings which were convenient for the fans here in Thailand.

The Sunday night game this week between the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers was a very important game and went down to the last second of play. The Monday Night Football game between the Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Cowboys was a come from behind victory that turned out to be the best game so far this year. True Visions show dozens of live sporting events from around the world every week. There are not very many live sporting matches on Monday and Tuesday mornings. Perhaps the taped broadcast of the regional badminton match could have been preempted to bring live NFL games to Thailand.

If ESPN and/or Star Sports do not want to schedule the games I would hope your company would buy the feed or run a tape immediately after the game is over. True Visions is a popular topic of scorn, at least here in Bangkok, when it comes popular programming. To improve the company image you must improve programming content. By my count, True visions and its parent company, Charoen Pokphand Group, have recently contributed more than Bt100 million to political parties here in the Kingdom. Surely some monies can be found and dedicated to buy a few NFL games.

Your consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

grantbkk

This is the week when the Dolphins finally win one. And remember, Pats fans, you read it here first.

This would be surprising, but Brady did come out of the Cowboys game banged up (shoulder) and is listed as probable, which mean he will play, but probably not at 100%.

LOL! Brady has been listed as "Probable" on every Patriots Injury Report for the last two years. It's a running joke among Pats' fans. He does, in fact, have a chronic pain in his shoulder; but it's been diagnosed as nothing that will get worse by playing with it. Brady doesn't want to risk surgery, since, according to him, the pain is no big deal. But many of us believe that it does sometimes affect his throwing motion, causing some of those periods when he seems off target for several consecutive throws. It seems that it has to "loosen up" at times, usually at the beginning of games.

As for the game in Miami, it has always been a tough one for the Pats. In 2004, for example, the Pats were 12-2, and the Dolphins were 2-12, when they played in Miami. The Dolphins killed them! It seems to be a match up thing. The biggest problem we have is with Taylor on our LT, Matt Light. Taylor spends WAY too much time in the Patriots backfield.

But I think there's just too much of an overall talent mismatch this year for the Dolphins to have any real shot at winning. They have one player on offense, now that they've traded Chambers. The Pats will focus on containing Brown, and the Dolphins, no matter how well they contain Brady, will not be able to do enough offensively to win. I will not be at all surprised, however, if this is the first game of the season in which the Patriots are held below 34 points. I'll go with Patriots 27 - Dolphins 13.

Here is a preview of the game stats.

Brady- 8 TD passes and 550 yards.

Pats Deafense- 4 interceptions and 4 fumble recoveries. 28 points

Dolphins rushing -13 yards passing- 7 yards

Joey Porter injured his lips from talking too much smack. Out for the season!

There will be a lot records broken in this game.

PKG

I can't think of anyone on the Dolphins who can rush for 13 yards in a single game. Surely that's gonna be a team effort.

Umm, does the name Ronnie Brown ring a bell?

Let me again remind you guys that the Dolphins ALWAYS play the Patriots tough in Miami, regardless of the records of the 2 teams. This will NOT be a walk over. It will, almost certainly, be closer than the game against the Cowboys. I'm predicting Patriots 27 - Dolphins 13. If the Dolphins hadn't just traded Chambers, it would be closer.

Don't forget that the Patriots will be without RBs Laurence Maroney and Sammy Morris. They will also be missing TE Ben Watson. They still have too much talent for the Dolphins, barring injuries during the game, or ridiculous bad calls, or freak turnovers. But it will not be easy!

And that's from the most dedicated Patriots fan in Thailand!