American Football

ChuckZ

The only thing I know how to do in these situations is blame the coaching. The Cowboys have two head coaches with Phillips for the defense and Jarrett for the offense. Then, we have Jerry Jones who just today publicly called Marion Barber a sissy for not playing Sunday. He does this before the three most important games of the season. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I don't know much about Jarrett. I do know that I've always considered Wade to be Bum's idiot son. As for Jerry Jones, I think I've expressed my opinion of him often enough here. His action doesn't surprise me at all. Truly stupid. I wonder if he's trying to copy the Parcells tactic of jabbing at his players to motivate them? Problem is that Jerry Jones is no Bill Parcells! (Or Jimmy Johnson, for that matter.)

Jarrett is paid the same salary as Wade Phillips, and although not given the title of head coach, he is given some forgettable title that in reality means head coach of offense while Phillips is head coach of defense. Moreover, Jarrett has been promised the full title when Phillips leaves.

Jarrett is a former NFL QB and has been sought after for many head coaching opportunities, hence, the high salary and funny title. The problem he has is his play calling capabilities suck. He is the one responsible for giving Barber 8 carries a few weeks ago and is currently being crucified on Cowboy blogs for his horrendous play calling on Sunday. The Steeler's DB's were playing very soft on Sunday, but Jarrett never took advantage of it and he even had Witten totally confused.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I know how to do in these situations is blame the coaching. The Cowboys have two head coaches with Phillips for the defense and Jarrett for the offense. Then, we have Jerry Jones who just today publicly called Marion Barber a sissy for not playing Sunday. He does this before the three most important games of the season. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I don't know much about Jarrett. I do know that I've always considered Wade to be Bum's idiot son. As for Jerry Jones, I think I've expressed my opinion of him often enough here. His action doesn't surprise me at all. Truly stupid. I wonder if he's trying to copy the Parcells tactic of jabbing at his players to motivate them? Problem is that Jerry Jones is no Bill Parcells! (Or Jimmy Johnson, for that matter.)

Jarrett is paid the same salary as Wade Phillips, and although not given the title of head coach, he is given some forgettable title that in reality means head coach of offense while Phillips is head coach of defense. Moreover, Jarrett has been promised the full title when Phillips leaves.

Jarrett is a former NFL QB and has been sought after for many head coaching opportunities, hence, the high salary and funny title. The problem he has is his play calling capabilities suck. He is the one responsible for giving Barber 8 carries a few weeks ago and is currently being crucified on Cowboy blogs for his horrendous play calling on Sunday. The Steeler's DB's were playing very soft on Sunday, but Jarrett never took advantage of it and he even had Witten totally confused.

While I thought TO's comments about Romo and Witten drawing up their own plays was over the top, I was surprised to find out that Romo has since commented that he and Witten "haven't drawn up that many plays." Also, apparently TO's comments are shared by some of their other receivers (Crayton and Williams) who have also met one on one with Jarrett about this.

Never a dull moment with the Cowboys.

The AFC EAST is featured on TrueVisions "live" broadcasts tonight. The schedule, for you addicted night owls, like me, is:

029: BUFFALO BILLS @ N.Y. JETS (15-DEC-2008)15-Dec-2008 01:00

030: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS @ OAKLAND RAIDERS (15-DEC-2008)15-Dec-2008 04:15

The AFC EAST is featured on TrueVisions "live" broadcasts tonight. The schedule, for you addicted night owls, like me, is:

RAIDERS WIN THE SUPER BOWL ! RAIDERS WIN THE SUPER BOWL ! (year 2020)

Boy we suck, but at least not as much as the Lions....

Edited by huggybear

RAIDERS WIN THE SUPER BOWL ! RAIDERS WIN THE SUPER BOWL ! (year 2020)

Boy we suck, but at least not as much as the Lions....

Well, that's true this year, Huggy. But did you see the graphic that the announcers commented on toward the end of the game? With yesterday's loss, the Raidahs are the first team in NFL history to lose 11 games or more in 6 consecutive seasons!

I have to tell you that, as a Patriots fan since 1960, who watched Al Davis bunch of hoodlums play the dirtiest football in the history of the NFL for most of their first 30 seasons, I couldn't be happier. I was at the game in which Jack Tatum crippled Daryl Stingley with a viscious clothesling, WELL after the ball was bouncing on the ground beyond him. I was at the 1976 playoff game in which Phil Villiapiano broke Russ Francis' nose with an elbow strike, on the opposite side of the field from the play. That was the same game in which Referee Ben Drieth cost the Patriots a win that would have sent them to the Super Bowl (which the Raidahs ultimately won) with his TOTALLY BOGUS call of 'Roughing the Passer' (Kenny Stabler) against Patriots DT Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton.

Davis, from his position of power in those early days of the AFL, and through the first several years of the merger, intimidated the league office, and league officials, even more than his headhunting hoodlums intimidated opposing players. I'd be happy if Raidahs never won another game, as long as Al Davis is at the controls.

With the bullsh*t from that back-stabbing snake, Eric Mangini, the Jets have finally overtaken the Raidahs as the team I hate most in the NFL. But I still enjoy watching the Raidahs get their asses handed to them; because I know how much Davis hates seeing it.

Living in So Cal for over 30 years, I knew a lot of Raiders fans. In my circle, they were all nice folks, as I'm sure you are, Huggy. But, as I used to tell them; "while most Raiders' fans are NOT hoodlums; most hoodlums are Raiders' fans." That was true because it was the mentality that Davis' tactics appealed to. They played football like viscious thugs during their "glory years"; well beyond the rules of the game, and of sportsmanship.

OK. Raiders rant over. Sorry about that! It just has to be let loose every now and then. :-)

Sorry to remind you...but football is a contact sport, and people do get injured from time to time... Just ask the Patriots and their layed up quarterback. As a native Californian, and longtime 49ers and Raiders fan, I don't think anyone can fairly argue that the Raiders thru their history have been any substantially more egregious about these things than any number of other teams. If you want to go back hunting in history for big/disputed hits, pretty much everyone has them sometime.

For much of their history, the Raiders fielded some excellent football teams and rosters of great/famous/respected players, including a past tendency to take on the "bad boys" that other teams discarded and make them good, contributing, respected and feared members of the silver and black. Sadly, those days are pretty much long gone now. These days, the Raiders just throw money at mediocre players who consistently fail to perform at all.

Having put that on the record, now, the main point of my post was to say what a hoot it was listening to the commercial break commentary between the two network announcers that (while not broadcast in the U.S.) seems to show up in our audio...because we don't get the commercials here. Hearing color commentator Rich Gannon (who used to QB for the Raiders) throroughly trash his former team on the QT was pretty amusing, not to mention the announcers getting into a profanity laden argument with their control room about something or another, which also came thru in our audio... It meant staying up from 4 am to 7 am in the morning, but it was a blast to hear. For the broadcast, they're keeping a very even, balanced tone. But during the breaks, they're trashing the Raiders up one side and down the other.

And, as a longtime fan, all I can say is, the trashing is deserved. The Raiders are (and have been for some years) a miserable team. Unfortunately, I remember back to the days of Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunket, et. al. So never get that out of my blood. But..you should hear the radio webcast of the Raiders fan show produced independently in the Bay Area. Listen to that, and you'll hear some REALLY LOUD gnashing and crying these days... It's been a very long dry spell...

Sorry to remind you...but football is a contact sport, and people do get injured from time to time... Just ask the Patriots and their layed up quarterback. As a native Californian, and longtime 49ers and Raiders fan, I don't think anyone can fairly argue that the Raiders thru their history have been any substantially more egregious about these things than any number of other teams. If you want to go back hunting in history for big/disputed hits, pretty much everyone has them sometime.

For much of their history, the Raiders fielded some excellent football teams and rosters of great/famous/respected players, including a past tendency to take on the "bad boys" that other teams discarded and make them good, contributing, respected and feared members of the silver and black. Sadly, those days are pretty much long gone now. These days, the Raiders just throw money at mediocre players who consistently fail to perform at all.

Having put that on the record, now, the main point of my post was to say what a hoot it was listening to the commercial break commentary between the two network announcers that (while not broadcast in the U.S.) seems to show up in our audio...because we don't get the commercials here. Hearing color commentator Rich Gannon (who used to QB for the Raiders) throroughly trash his former team on the QT was pretty amusing, not to mention the announcers getting into a profanity laden argument with their control room about something or another, which also came thru in our audio... It meant staying up from 4 am to 7 am in the morning, but it was a blast to hear. For the broadcast, they're keeping a very even, balanced tone. But during the breaks, they're trashing the Raiders up one side and down the other.

And, as a longtime fan, all I can say is, the trashing is deserved. The Raiders are (and have been for some years) a miserable team. Unfortunately, I remember back to the days of Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunket, et. al. So never get that out of my blood. But..you should hear the radio webcast of the Raiders fan show produced independently in the Bay Area. Listen to that, and you'll hear some REALLY LOUD gnashing and crying these days... It's been a very long dry spell...

Aww, come on, JF. Since you, like me, go back to watching the Raiders in the days of Lamonica, Stabler, and Plunkett; you KNOW that they were universally regarded as a dirty, cheap shot, team on defense back then. Their offenses were always filled with highly skilled, exciting players. Their defenses were always filled with players like Tatum, Villapiano, Davidson, and others; who would take every cheap shot opportunity they saw. And you also know that, as I said, Al Davis was a bullying, manipulating S.O.B., when he weiled great power in the AFL, and for a few years after the merger. Davis is getting back what he deserves for those years.

But I have to agree with you on that commercial break commentary. It was hilarious! Usually, the TrueVisions broadcast goes to silence during those breaks. This week, for whatever technical reason, they kept the audio feed alive. (It may have been them; or it may have been a US crew error.) That has happened a couple of times before, but never with such "interesting" conversations to listen to! :-)

OMR, my sympathies to you, as a fan. None, of course, for Jerry Jones!

This game gave a whole new meaning the nickname "Doomsday Defense" for the Cowboys!! How does a team allow back-to-back, 75+ yard runs in a game of that importance?

What an incredible 4th Quarter!

And what an incredibly gutsy performance by Ravens WR, Derrick Mason! The guy was in agony with a shoulder that has kept him out of practice throughout the season. All he did was catch 6 passes, for over 60 yards, score a TD, AND recover a fumble that, at the time, could have put his team in danger of turning over the lead to the Cowboys. No matter who you were rooting for, if you're a football fan, you gotta give it up for Mason.

And I am almost as sorry as you are about the outcome, OMR. A Cowboys win would have given my Patriots a MUCH better shot at a Playoff spot. Now, we have to hope that at least one of either the Jets or Dolphins lose this week; and that, if only one of them loses, that team then beats the other next week. All that, while the Patriots win out. It's a reach. But anything is possible in the NFL. Even scoring back-to-back TDs on 75+ yard runs!

Trouble in paradise, OMR? Did you see this report on the TO-Witten feud?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

No trouble in paradise that a defense couldn't have fixed this morning. Anyway, my season is over. No more heartaches on the Cowboys this season for me. Now, I can sit back and root for whoever wins the NFC and goes to the SB.

Who are you picking for the AFC champion?

Anyway, my season is over. No more heartaches on the Cowboys this season for me. Now, I can sit back and root for whoever wins the NFC and goes to the SB.

As I understand it, the Cowboys season isn't over. They, like my Patriots, need "help"; but I believe they still have a shot at a Playoff spot.

As for the AFC Champion, it's hard to say. I don't see any "great" team this year. The Steelers have a great defense; but even that unit can be had, if the opposing QB gets good protection. Tennessee is solid, but underwhelming. The Colts have really come around, as Manning put the injury behind him; but also have defensive holes. And, of course, the Patriots aren't dead yet. Until their fate is decided; I'll just withhold my pick. :-)

How good is true about the afternoon replays? I've heard they have been pretty unreliable in the past...

Nothing's perfectly reliable about the TrueVisions schedule; but the replays usually do show.

Schedule of 'live' and replays for this week:

031: PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ TENNESSEE TITANS (22-DEC-2008)22-Dec-2008 01:00 034: BUFFALO BILLS @ DENVER BRONCOS (22-DEC-2008)22-Dec-2008 04:05 031: PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ TENNESSEE TITANS (22-DEC-2008)22-Dec-2008 18:30 034: BUFFALO BILLS @ DENVER BRONCOS (22-DEC-2008)22-Dec-2008 21:30 031: PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ TENNESSEE TITANS (22-DEC-2008)23-Dec-2008 02:00 031: PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ TENNESSEE TITANS (22-DEC-2008)23-Dec-2008 08:00 034: BUFFALO BILLS @ DENVER BRONCOS (22-DEC-2008)23-Dec-2008 10:30

Guys, I have to tell you that any of you who claim to be real NFL fans can NOT fail to subscribe to NFL Game Pass next season.

Man, watching these critical games at the end of the season just cannot be over priced! And, if you're a fan of a specific team, which I assume most of you are, how can you not be willing to spend $230 for a season to see every game your team plays?!!! When I saw that the new software/server/whatever that the NFL is using for this, I couldn't resist. As a rabid NFL/Patriots fan, I consider this the best decision I've ever made!

Seriously, I wouldn't miss watching this Giants/Panthers game for anything! As I said, I'm a Patriots fan. But I am also a 50+ year fan of the NFL. This is great stuff!!!

Anyway, my season is over. No more heartaches on the Cowboys this season for me. Now, I can sit back and root for whoever wins the NFC and goes to the SB.

As I understand it, the Cowboys season isn't over. They, like my Patriots, need "help"; but I believe they still have a shot at a Playoff spot.

As for the AFC Champion, it's hard to say. I don't see any "great" team this year. The Steelers have a great defense; but even that unit can be had, if the opposing QB gets good protection. Tennessee is solid, but underwhelming. The Colts have really come around, as Manning put the injury behind him; but also have defensive holes. And, of course, the Patriots aren't dead yet. Until their fate is decided; I'll just withhold my pick. :-)

The Cowboys aren't eliminated yet, but they don't have the team to win in the playoffs. Now, ahead of them are the Eagles, Tampa Bay and Atlanta. They play the Eagles next week, so that part is in their hands, but then TB and Atlanta are not (even though they beat TB earlier this year when their defense showed up). This year's Cowboy team is one of the most talented they have had for a long, long time, but there is so much dissension on the club that they battle themselves more than the other team.

There is no leader on the defense (I have said this before). Their head coach is a useless as a head coach and some of the players are openly at odds with the defensive coordinator (one of Phillips guys). Their defense can't play 60 minutes without embarrassing themselves someplace. They all want to make the big play and in doing so, leave gaps all over the field (i.e. the two long runs by the Ravens). On offense, thankfully TO has the personality to open up and voice what all the receivers (other than Witten) have been thinking. In addition, Garrett has yet to put together a decent game plan.

This team is badly in need of some coaching changes and an off season to think about what could have been. Garrett will be head coach next year so we will see who he brings in for the defense.

In the AFC I like the Steelers.

I believe we've seen a preview of the NFC Championship, but next time my kitties will force out just enough "bad Eli" for us to squeak on down to Tampa and lose to whatever the AFC coughs up. Anybody looking better than Pittsburgh? Well, maybe the Raiders.

Bad Michael! No donut!

The Cowboys aren't eliminated yet, but they don't have the team to win in the playoffs. Now, ahead of them are the Eagles, Tampa Bay and Atlanta. They play the Eagles next week, so that part is in their hands, but then TB and Atlanta are not (even though they beat TB earlier this year when their defense showed up). This year's Cowboy team is one of the most talented they have had for a long, long time, but there is so much dissension on the club that they battle themselves more than the other team.

There is no leader on the defense (I have said this before). Their head coach is a useless as a head coach and some of the players are openly at odds with the defensive coordinator (one of Phillips guys). Their defense can't play 60 minutes without embarrassing themselves someplace. They all want to make the big play and in doing so, leave gaps all over the field (i.e. the two long runs by the Ravens). On offense, thankfully TO has the personality to open up and voice what all the receivers (other than Witten) have been thinking. In addition, Garrett has yet to put together a decent game plan.

This team is badly in need of some coaching changes and an off season to think about what could have been. Garrett will be head coach next year so we will see who he brings in for the defense.

Due to my dislike for Jerry Jones, I was smiling happily when he hired Bum Phillips' idiot son as his HC. Wade was a joke in Buffalo as HC. I have no idea why Jones thought this guy could handle that job; unless, of course, he had to take anybody who was willing to work for his egotistical, interfering a$$! He's getting from Phillips exactly what I thought he'd get - incompetence at that level.

I also think that Romo is either overrated; or still has a long way to go to become a truly great NFL QB. He flushes too quickly from the pocket, and doesn't seem to realize that he lacks the ability to throw accurately on the run.

Still, the Cowboys would have been better if Barber hadn't gone down with that toe injury. That was another dumb reaction from Jerry Jones. Didn't he see what the toe did to Tomlinson; who has proven many times over that he's a tough S.O.B.. You try cutting sharply, and pushing off, with a very painful toe injury, Jerry. What a <deleted>!

Due to my dislike for Jerry Jones, I was smiling happily when he hired Bum Phillips' idiot son as his HC. Wade was a joke in Buffalo as HC. I have no idea why Jones thought this guy could handle that job; unless, of course, he had to take anybody who was willing to work for his egotistical, interfering a$$! He's getting from Phillips exactly what I thought he'd get - incompetence at that level.

I also think that Romo is either overrated; or still has a long way to go to become a truly great NFL QB. He flushes too quickly from the pocket, and doesn't seem to realize that he lacks the ability to throw accurately on the run.

Still, the Cowboys would have been better if Barber hadn't gone down with that toe injury. That was another dumb reaction from Jerry Jones. Didn't he see what the toe did to Tomlinson; who has proven many times over that he's a tough S.O.B.. You try cutting sharply, and pushing off, with a very painful toe injury, Jerry. What a <deleted>!

I have made my comments already on the coaching and we agree.

On Romo, for some unknown reason people think they have to compare him to the second coming. He is an excellent NFL QB, but he is not the greatest QB of all time and shouldn't be constantly compared to those who might be. We are lucky to have him and if he were available on the market (which he is not), there would be a long line of NFL coaches trying to sign him despite the fact that he isn't perfect.

One more thing on Romo. He is tremendously accurate throwing on the run. So much so, that defensive coaches continually look for ways to keep Romo in the pocket to prevent him from playing what they call "street ball" where he excels. However, Romo slips and slides and beats their pinching game plans. This not only avoids sacks, but gives his receivers more time to get open. Although he has great speed, he doesn't turn it up field like Tark used to. These days QB's are told not to run, but with Romo's speed he could really open things up if he took off 4 or 5 times a game.

For those of us without the Field Pass, or torrents, etc, who rely on local provider TRUE VISIONS for the two Sunday afternoon games, the broadcast sked for the final regular-season games is real head-scratcher.

I sent them a complaint, as follows.

Dear True Visions,

Regarding the two NFL games which are broadcast on TRUE VISIONS, would you kindy explain the decision-making process for which games are shown?

My goodness, next week's games are the last of the regular-season, and the games listed on the promo spots I have seen are a pair of games with just about ZERO implications for teams trying to win a playoff spot on the final Sunday of the regular season.

The first game, Carolina at New Orleans, doesn't mean much, the Panthers are already in the playoffs. They can win the divsion--a win means they are divsion champs--but it's a far less compelling game than several others. (The Saints don't have any chance of making the postseason.) Meantime, in that first time-slot, there are New England at Buffalo (the Patriots must win to have a chance for the playoffs, Buffalo's capable of denying them), N.Y. Giants at Minnesota (Vikes capture their division with a win), Chicago at Houston (Bears need to win to stay alive), and even if the Tennessee at Indianapolis game doesn't mean much for two teams that have locked-up their playoff positions, it could be a preview for a little bit of a postseason matchup.

But it is in the second time slot where TRUE really, and I mean truly, drops the ball. How can you show Seattle at Arizona? What the heck?

That is an insult to NFL fans! The game means NOTHING. While at the same time, Denver at San Diego is winner-take-all for the division, a playoff-game in effect. Also, Miami at N.Y. Jets is HUGE. (The Dolphins take the division with a win, and if the Patriots or Colts lose, the Jets can make the playoffs if they win.) Even Dallas at Philadelphia could be very meaningful for one of those teams, and each must win to have hope.

Why the heck are you giving NFL fans Seattle at Arizona??? Such a dud game for the last broadcast of the regular season. How do you arrive at such a decision to air that game?

I WILL NOT be watching that game, and am ticked off at TRUE VISIONS for a sour conclusion to the regular season.

Well, what a way to finish the season, huh?

Hope they don't mess up the playoffs, but I can't be confident they'll get that right, either.

For those of us without the Field Pass, or torrents, etc, who rely on local provider TRUE VISIONS for the two Sunday afternoon games, the broadcast sked for the final regular-season games is real head-scratcher.

Dear True Visions,

Regarding the two NFL games which are broadcast on TRUE VISIONS, would you kindy explain the decision-making process for which games are shown?

My goodness, next week's games are the last of the regular-season, and the games listed on the promo spots I have seen are a pair of games with just about ZERO implications for teams trying to win a playoff spot on the final Sunday of the regular season.

The first game, Carolina at New Orleans, doesn't mean much, the Panthers are already in the playoffs. They can win the divsion--a win means they are divsion champs--but it's a far less compelling game than several others. (The Saints don't have any chance of making the postseason.) Meantime, in that first time-slot, there are New England at Buffalo (the Patriots must win to have a chance for the playoffs, Buffalo's capable of denying them), N.Y. Giants at Minnesota (Vikes capture their division with a win), Chicago at Houston (Bears need to win to stay alive), and even if the Tennessee at Indianapolis game doesn't mean much for two teams that have locked-up their playoff positions, it could be a preview for a little bit of a postseason matchup.

But it is in the second time slot where TRUE really, and I mean truly, drops the ball. How can you show Seattle at Arizona? What the heck?

That is an insult to NFL fans! The game means NOTHING. While at the same time, Denver at San Diego is winner-take-all for the division, a playoff-game in effect. Also, Miami at N.Y. Jets is HUGE. (The Dolphins take the division with a win, and if the Patriots or Colts lose, the Jets can make the playoffs if they win.) Even Dallas at Philadelphia could be very meaningful for one of those teams, and each must win to have hope.

Why the heck are you giving NFL fans Seattle at Arizona??? Such a dud game for the last broadcast of the regular season. How do you arrive at such a decision to air that game?

I WILL NOT be watching that game, and am ticked off at TRUE VISIONS for a sour conclusion to the regular season.

Hope they don't mess up the playoffs, but I can't be confident they'll get that right, either.

Easy there, rwilem. True Visions doesn't select the games to be broadcast here. They always broadcast the "national" games that are broadcast on (US) Sunday afternoons by CBS and FOX. Those schedules may be changed by those networks as a result of the standings. But they, too, have limitations. The TV contracts specify that there must be some minimum level of exposure for all teams. The networks are allowed to "flex" some games, and, in fact, have done so this week by moving the Jets - Dolphins game from it's original 1:00 PM start to the 4:15 start time.

So hang on for a couple of days, and check the schedules on TrueVisions site again near the end of the week. You may get a pleasant surprise. In fact, don't bet on even that schedule being correct. Sometimes, TrueVisions isn't on top of it enough to pick up the US network changes. Your best bet, if you're an "overnighter" like me, is to just tune in at 1:00 AM next Monday morning, and see what you get. Same with the 4:15 game.

In any case, as I said, don't blame TrueVisions. They have no input at all to what the US networks broadcast nationally; and that is the feed that they get here.

I have made my comments already on the coaching and we agree.

On Romo, for some unknown reason people think they have to compare him to the second coming. He is an excellent NFL QB, but he is not the greatest QB of all time and shouldn't be constantly compared to those who might be. We are lucky to have him and if he were available on the market (which he is not), there would be a long line of NFL coaches trying to sign him despite the fact that he isn't perfect.

One more thing on Romo. He is tremendously accurate throwing on the run. So much so, that defensive coaches continually look for ways to keep Romo in the pocket to prevent him from playing what they call "street ball" where he excels. However, Romo slips and slides and beats their pinching game plans. This not only avoids sacks, but gives his receivers more time to get open. Although he has great speed, he doesn't turn it up field like Tark used to. These days QB's are told not to run, but with Romo's speed he could really open things up if he took off 4 or 5 times a game.

I don't really see that "tremendous accuracy" on the run from Romo, OMR. I'll grant you that he's better than most; but no QB can throw as accurately on the run as he will with his feet set. I think you'll find that most of Romo's INT's come when he throws on the run. I still say that he leaves the pocket too quickly, and that means he's throwing on the run more often than necessary; which reduces the number of throws made with maximum accuracy, from a set position.

As for his running, I agree with you that he could be a very dangerous weapon if he ran downfield more often. But I fully understand the reluctance of all teams to allow their QBs to do much of that. Better than average QBs are a very valuable commodity. Today's defensive players are so dam big and fast, that the collisions downfield can end a QBs season, if not his career, with one hit. The slide rule helps a lot, of course; but it's still dangerous for a QB to be exposed to all the chaos past the LOS. What fan doesn't have his heart in his mouth every time his team's QB takes off downfield?

I don't really see that "tremendous accuracy" on the run from Romo, OMR. I'll grant you that he's better than most; but no QB can throw as accurately on the run as he will with his feet set. I think you'll find that most of Romo's INT's come when he throws on the run. I still say that he leaves the pocket too quickly, and that means he's throwing on the run more often than necessary; which reduces the number of throws made with maximum accuracy, from a set position.

Patsfangr, the fact is that most of Romo's interceptions actually happen when his feet are set (he throws high). Watch him more closely next time. Romo is a wrist passer (which is why strong armed QB's could have played through the pinkie injury, but Romo couldn't). He often completes passes when throwing from either the back foot, on the run or both feet off the ground and all of his passes are short armed (no follow through - not needed).

Actually, Romo's throwing arm is one of the weakest in the NFL, but the Cowboys are usually close to the top in plays over 20 yds. Watch his long passes (usually less than 50 yds in the air) and you won't see a whole lot of air under the ball. He has an extremely quick release (like most wrist passers) and he gets by on is ability to throw accurately on the run, backing up or both feet completely off the ground. At this, he is the best in the NFL. Couple all this with this quickness (he makes his OL look better than they are because he is really tough to sack) and you have one of the most exciting QB's to watch in the NFL. They don't always win (for sure), but they are always fun to watch.

Dear True Visions,

Easy there, rwilem. True Visions doesn't select the games to be broadcast here. They always broadcast the "national" games that are broadcast on (US) Sunday afternoons by CBS and FOX. Those schedules may be changed by those networks as a result of the standings. But they, too, have limitations. The TV contracts specify that there must be some minimum level of exposure for all teams. The networks are allowed to "flex" some games, and, in fact, have done so this week by moving the Jets - Dolphins game from it's original 1:00 PM start to the 4:15 start time.

So hang on for a couple of days, and check the schedules on TrueVisions site again near the end of the week. You may get a pleasant surprise. In fact, don't bet on even that schedule being correct. Sometimes, TrueVisions isn't on top of it enough to pick up the US network changes. Your best bet, if you're an "overnighter" like me, is to just tune in at 1:00 AM next Monday morning, and see what you get. Same with the 4:15 game.

In any case, as I said, don't blame TrueVisions. They have no input at all to what the US networks broadcast nationally; and that is the feed that they get here.

I fully agree. The original line up is posted early in the year, but national games televised in the US (and in Thailand) often change in the end of the year based on how important they are to the playoffs. For example, the Cowboys/Eagles game time was just changed to the second game when originally slated for one of the earlier games under the NFL's flex schedule. This may affect what games are then televised in Thailand. Time will tell.

Patsfangr, the fact is that most of Romo's interceptions actually happen when his feet are set (he throws high). Watch him more closely next time. Romo is a wrist passer (which is why strong armed QB's could have played through the pinkie injury, but Romo couldn't). He often completes passes when throwing from either the back foot, on the run or both feet off the ground and all of his passes are short armed (no follow through - not needed).

Actually, Romo's throwing arm is one of the weakest in the NFL, but the Cowboys are usually close to the top in plays over 20 yds. Watch his long passes (usually less than 50 yds in the air) and you won't see a whole lot of air under the ball. He has an extremely quick release (like most wrist passers) and he gets by on is ability to throw accurately on the run, backing up or both feet completely off the ground. At this, he is the best in the NFL. Couple all this with this quickness (he makes his OL look better than they are because he is really tough to sack) and you have one of the most exciting QB's to watch in the NFL. They don't always win (for sure), but they are always fun to watch.

I humbly defer to the dedicated Cowboys fan on that, OMR. You have certainly seen a lot more of Romo than have I. I will, as you suggest, watch more closely next time for those subtelties in his passing game. I fully concur, as I noted before, on his quickness. He does an incredible job of escaping from pass rushes that would almost certainly sack most other QBs. That alone makes him fun to watch, as were Fran Tarkenton and Archie Manning, way back when. But I still think he often leaves the pocket too soon.

Thanks, patsfang.

A check of the website today shows--and you'll like this--NE at Buffalo for the first game, and Dallas-Philly the second. And yes, the NFL has moved the Den-SD to the SNF slot, which wasn't reflected in the Yahoo sports week 17 sked I was looking at when I wrote them yesterday.

But I have to tell you, as far as which games TRUE gets or what the NFL provides them with, I don't think that is right about us here getting the 'national' broadcasts of the networks. That NE-OAK game few weeks back was certainly was not a 'national' broadcast, and neither was the Buffalo-Denver game this past weekend. (Ian Eagles and Soloman Wilcotts are not your "A" team.)

We do get a fair share of them, no doubt, but there are some so-so matchups aired here. But I do remember a couple seasons back, in week 16 they had an utterly meaningless St. Louis-Oakland game, so I wanted to tell them at least one fan wasn't happy with the schedule that was being promoed on the channel for week 17. (I mean, Seattle-Arizona?)

But it looks OK now, and maybe my input had a little effect? As I say, I just hope they don't screw up the first round of the playoffs. NBC has the first two widlcard games, I think they came through via GOAL TV last year. No GOAL TV this year, so...???

I'll be very surprised, not to mention extremely disappointed, if TrueVisions doesn't broadcast all of the Playoff games. They have done so for the two NFL seasons that I've lived here.

I have the NFL Game Pass package. But that is only good for regular season games. They are offering a Playoff package for $60. However, I'm not planning to get that unless my Patriots make the Playoffs, as long as the games are all on TrueVisions. The only reason I'd want it would be for the replay on demand feature that comes with that package.

I'll be very surprised, not to mention extremely disappointed, if TrueVisions doesn't broadcast all of the Playoff games. They have done so for the two NFL seasons that I've lived here.

I have the NFL Game Pass package. But that is only good for regular season games. They are offering a Playoff package for $60. However, I'm not planning to get that unless my Patriots make the Playoffs, as long as the games are all on TrueVisions. The only reason I'd want it would be for the replay on demand feature that comes with that package.

Well, when my dolphins beat the jets and the ravens win, it will be a mute point. oh, and watch out for those bills, looked very good last week in beating the broncos away. :o

A Christmas game this year would make no sense for timing. They want all the last games to be on the same day now. Just watch basketball instead.

Oh, and as for that Truevisions letter someone sent. I'm sure they're just shaking their heads with a letter like that. "Playoffs? Division? What is he talking about? What is NFL? I don't understand. I guess I'll just respond, 'Please power off your unit, wait a few minutes, and turn it on again. That should clear up the problem and you can watch your football. Thank you for watching True Visions.'"

:o