Australian Great Escape.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...you try 119-5....lets hope it p1sses down tomorrow :D

3 wickets for golden finger :D

Geez Lamps 60 million people and you cant even scratch up a decent 11 to play cricket ,oh well you lot are trying anyone so maybe a couple of girls might help :D

At least they might put Warnie of his game :D

The many stages of English cricket:

1. The Aussies are out of form, too old, over the hill and going to be slaughtered by our new warriers.

2. The Aussies will make less than 200 we will get 450+.

3. Thank god for the South African!

4. Lets hope it p1sses down tomorrow.

I happened to be in town yesterday and stopped into robs down under bar on suk soi 7/1 ... much pleasure when I realised he has managed to get the cricket live on television ... and even more when I realised I was surrounded by poms :D:D:D

a very good excuse to sit there for a while and have a few beers ... I imagine the english cricket supporting fratenity are now praying for rain.... :o

... I imagine the english cricket supporting fratenity are now praying for rain.... :o

No; we are praying that Jones and Pieterson get 150 runs each. When they get out, then we'll pray for rain. :D

Its raining now, 10:05 BST. Good honest English drizzle.

No doubt about you Brits, When yer going to get a hiding you call in the thirteenth Man to bail you out :D Suppose when you got 60,000,000 people praying for a miracle somethings gotta happen. :D

... I imagine the english cricket supporting fratenity are now praying for rain.... :o

No; we are praying that Jones and Pieterson get 150 runs each. When they get out, then we'll pray for rain. :D

No doubt about you Brits, When yer going to get a hiding you call in the thirteenth Man to bail you out :D Suppose when you got 60,000,000 people praying for a miracle somethings gotta happen. :D

Cor; am I p1ssed off now. I dreamt that Jonsey & Pieterson got 150+ each and steered England home by 5 wickets. You Aussies get all the luck.

The "Power of Pray" ........... :D:D

Edited by dereklev

Ashes umpire admits he got it wrong

Date: 24/07/05

By Paul Mulvey

Umpire Rudi Koertzen admitted to Brett Lee he made a mistake in rejecting an lbw appeal when an attempted yorker almost turned into another beamer from the Australian paceman.

Lee's attempt at a sandshoe crusher to Kevin Pietersen during the third day of the first Test at Lord's stayed mid-air after he flung it at 90mph (144.81kph) and smashed into the stunned English batsman's thigh in front of the stumps.

At least it stayed low enough to avoid a repeat of the high beamers he hurled at New Zealand's Brendon McCullum earlier this year and at Marcus Trescothick in the one-day series against England three weeks ago.

Instead, it should have brought Lee a wicket and sent England crumbling to 6-123 in its chase for 420.

"I think Rudi just lost it, he said that he didn't really pick it up," Lee said.

"He said he may have got it wrong, he apologised.

"But umpires do make mistakes as everyone else does. In that type of situation the ball's going at a pretty decent pace.

"I was disappointed the wicket wasn't there, but I wasn't annoyed with Rudi, I know that's the way it goes.

"I was trying to hit him on the full on the toes and it just went a little bit higher than what I expected to do.

"I was hoping for a wicket, turned around pleading to Rudi, he obviously saw it some other way."

The precocious Pietersen was shocked by the ball which trapped him plumb in front and which television replays showed would have hit middle stump.

He then stared down Lee and the pair exchanged words after Pietersen was beaten outside off stump with the next delivery.

Lee has made a huge impact in his first Test in 19 months, bowling with pace and menace to take three first innings wickets and another pair on the third day, sparking England's second innings collapse to put Australia in sight of victory.

As Trescothick and Andrew Strauss looked settled at 0-80, Lee forced Strauss to fend off a short ball and he sprinted from his follow through to dive head first and take a brilliant catch off his own bowling.

"I looked up and knew it wasn't going to reach to Gilly (Adam Gilchrist) and midwicket wasn't really going to have a go at it so I thought I'd better put it back in first gear and see if I can get there," he said.

"It was lucky the ball fell in my hand nicely."

He was enjoying his 38th Test, his first since January, 2004.

"I'm pretty happy to be back in Test cricket," he said.

"I've been wanting to be back in this seat for about 19 months.

"Back playing wearing the baggy green is a very special moment

But that is one of the nice things of cricket, its from the opinion of the umpire. That is what makes the game. Does anyone really want to have computers all that nonsence running the game.

Sure everyone will make a mistake, so what. That time it went Englands way, next time it will go another way.

Dar's rejections frustrate Warne

By Adam Cooper

Shane Warne has admitted to frustration at having umpire Aleem Dar constantly reject his confident LBW appeals.

Warne's three wickets after tea on day three of the first Ashes Test at Lord's proved his spell over England was as strong as ever, but he was far from happy as he had several confident leg before shouts turned down by the Pakistani umpire.

Dar calmly refused Warne's sustained, vociferous appeals, and the legspinner had arms in the air in anguish, shook his head and at one stage put a hand over his mouth.

"Yeah, I thought a couple of them were pretty close, I suppose that's one way you can put it," Warne said later.

"At one stage I suppose I didn't think we were playing them."

Two of Warne's big appeals came when England openers Andrew Strauss and Marcus Trescothick did not offer shots to big-turning leg breaks, while Trescothick conceded he was in strife when he was hit in front last ball before tea to a delivery that went straight on.

"Very concerned, I didn't pick it to be honest," Trescothick said.

"I thought I hit it. But then I saw on the replay it was very close (smirking).

"There you go, not a lot else to say really."

Warne did question Dar over why some of his appeals were turned down, although it was unclear what was said.

The pair famously exchanged words in Brisbane last November, when Dar penalised Warne for bowling legside wides against New Zealand.

When Warne questioned those decisions, Dar said they were for negative bowling and told Test cricket's leading-wicket-taker: "You look after your job and I'll worry about mine."

Warne put a diplomatic spin on his disappointment at Lord's.

"Look, it's always pretty tough with an inside edge or if it goes straight or did it pitch outside," he told Channel Four.

"It's a real tough job and it's a real hard job to go to the umpires and you've just got to hang in there, all you can do is appeal when you think they're out.

"I thought I had a couple of close shouts and I just wanted to stay as patient as I could and try and execute my plans to each of the batters I had, and I thought I did that OK."

Warne also had a confident leg before appeal turned down in England's first innings on day two, when Kevin Pietersen was ruled not out by South African umpire Rudi Koertzen.

Pietersen later said he was lucky not to be given out.

Copyright © 2005 AAP

More Sport stories

Return to Home

More news...

Top stories National

World Business

Showbiz

Adelaide fishing news

The best catches of the week in South Australia with Seven News presenter Melody Horrill.

More

Weeknights at 6.30pm

The chaos and confusion that roundabouts are causing every day.

Visit Today Tonight

Lleyton and Bec online, plus the latest on the Space Shuttle.

More

Tell us what you know

Do you have a story for 7news to investigate?

We want to hear about it.

Email us here

England taught to respect their elders

By Adam Cooper

The Dad's Army jibes haven't worked, so England might have to change tack and respect their elders for the remainder of this Ashes cricket series.

Australia's two 35-year-old warhorses Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne have been the dominant players over the first three days of the first Test at Lord's and for now, England cannot claim the world champions have lost their aura.

McGrath took five wickets on day one to crush the home side's first innings and Warne again mystified England's batsmen with three wickets after tea on day three.

That doused any dreams the challengers had of pulling off Test cricket's biggest run-chase and ending Australia's 71-year unbeaten run at Lord's.

Chasing an improbable 420 to win, England was 5-156 at stumps on day three with Kevin Pietersen (42 not out) and Geraint Jones (six) again faced with salvaging an innings steamrolled by a familiar foe.

At least two England players, opener Andrew Strauss and paceman Matthew Hoggard, said in the lead-up to the Ashes opener that some Australian players were getting on in years, and that collectively the side had lost its aura.

Former England captain Nasser Hussain also flamed the fire by claiming Warne was not the bowler he was a decade ago.

But the legspinner, who is Test cricket's leading wicket-taker and with McGrath shares almost 1,100 wickets and over 250 against England, proved he had a leading part to play on his fourth and final Ashes tour despite the personal pain caused by his separation from wife Simone.

Warne took three wickets in 31 balls when he had Marcus Trescothick caught at slip, mesmerised Ian Bell with a topspinner that trapped the youngster in front and had danger man Andrew Flintoff caught behind.

"Every time I play these days if I don't bowl that well or the statistics don't show I've bowled that well, they say 'You're no good any more', and I have a good day and they say 'Look, he's bowling as good as he ever has'," Warne told Channel Four.

"I'm pretty happy with the way they're coming out. I can always tell with my shape, if I'm getting that drift and that spin like that (on) a two-and-a-half, three-day wicket then I think they're coming out OK."

Fast bowler Brett Lee, whose diving caught and bowled to remove Strauss kickstarted an English collapse of 5-39, said his colleagues drew extra motivation from constantly being retired off.

"It always seems when somebody tries to write Shane Warne off or Glenn off, that they always come back bigger and better," Lee said.

"We always try to hunt in packs and I think we've done that pretty well so far."

Trescothick was lucky to survive a Warne appeal for leg before last ball before tea and later conceded he did not pick the topspinner, which hurried onto him.

"You always knew that the legspinner could turn, but also his backspinner or whatever it is is going to be a challenge as well," he said.

England has tried to take reputations out of the contest by playing the ball and not the man, but Trescothick said it was difficult to overcome.

"I've played 11 Tests against them now and every time I go out to bat it's always going to be tough work," he said.

The highlight of Lee's first Test in 19 months was the peach he delivered to bowl England captain Michael Vaughan, although he was denied a wicket late when umpire Rudi Koertzen missed a fast full toss that struck Pietersen plumb in front.

"He said he may have got it wrong, he apologised," Lee said of Koertzen.

"He's an umpire and umpires do make mistakes as everyone else does, and he knows that in that type of situation the ball is going at a pretty decent pace, so it is hard to pick up the ball sometimes.

"I was disappointed ... but that's the way it goes."

Copyright © 2005 AAP, Seven Network (Operations) Ltd

More Sport stories

Return to Home

More news...

Top stories National

World Business

Showbiz

Adelaide fishing news

The best catches of the week in South Australia with Seven News presenter Melody Horrill.

More

Weeknights at 6.30pm

The chaos and confusion that roundabouts are causing every day.

Visit Today Tonight

Lleyton and Bec online, plus the latest on the Space Shuttle.

More

Tell us what you know

Do you have a story for 7news to investigate?

We want to hear about it.

Email us here

WELL DONE you Aussie gits. Wasn't even close in the end.I'm not having that dream again.

MMM gits lamp, you mean, Greater Intelligance Technically Superior :o

And why not....what did you think I meant? Grandads Inside for Thieving Shirts :D

It was a great contest, both at Lords and on Tv. Not all bad for England, the form of Harmison and Pieterson bode well for the future.

I think there will be a little less amunition handed to the old fellows (McGrath, Warne and McGarth) by disrespectful English in future.

Bring on game two!

WELL DONE you Aussie gits. Wasn't even close in the end.I'm not having that dream again.

MMM gits lamp, you mean, Greater Intelligance Technically Superior :o

And why not....what did you think I meant? Grandads Inside for Thieving Shirts :D

It was a great contest, both at Lords and on Tv. Not all bad for England, the form of Harmison and Pieterson bode well for the future.

I think there will be a little less amunition handed to the old fellows (McGrath, Warne and McGarth) by disrespectful English in future.

Bring on game two!

Yes; I liked it on Thai Visa better than on the box. Special thanks to Yourself,Ozzie,Burnsie,Fatso,Nightcruiser,Stumonster,Sidney Tom and the rest of you shower for making this moment so special.

Sorry ; forgor Tornies razor sharp wit.

Edited by lampard10

MMM gits lamp, you mean, Greater Intelligance Technically Superior :D

Bring on game two!

Yes; I liked it on Thai Visa better than on the box. Special thanks to Yourself,Ozzie,Burnsie,Fatso,Nightcruiser,Stumonster,Sidney Tom and the rest of you shower for making this moment so special.

Sorry ; forgor Tornies razor sharp wit.

Typical....that reads like some kind of suicide note...ur pi#s weak Lampard.....so what ur team got annihilated...so what, thats sport.....they have 4 more chances to beat Australia......u and the rest of the Poms where mouthing off big time when the one day games where on......and Im sure that u will again, if ur team happens to win a test this series.....so dont go jumping in front of a tuk tuk just yet ( if u do can I be there to see it )... take it on the chin and dont be such a wank#r......

oh ah Glenn McGarth...say oh ah Glenn McGarth (sing it Lampard)...

:o:D:D:D:D

Cricket: McGrath skittles England for first test win

Glenn McGrath celebrates taking the wicket of England's Ashley Giles with team mate Simon Katich (left). Picture / Reuters

25.07.05 7.35am

By Tony Lawrence

LONDON - Glenn McGrath took four wickets for three runs and nine victims in the match as Australia crushed England by 239 runs in the first Ashes test at Lord's.

England's only realistic hope of avoiding defeat, having limped to 156 for five on the third evening with 420 needed for victory, lay with the weather and their prayers were answered as Sunday's first two sessions were washed out by rain.

When the fourth day finally got underway with 42 overs left, however, the home side collapsed to 180 all out without a fight.

Their last five wickets tumbled for 22 in just under eight overs, with the final four batsmen all making ducks.

Opening bowler McGrath, who claimed five wickets for two runs in an extraordinary spell in the first innings to pass 500 test wickets, took four for 29 from 17.1 overs to complete match figures of nine for 82.

Leg spinner Shane Warne took four for 64 in the second innings.

"Glenn was fantastic and Warney was just great," said Australia captain Ricky Ponting.

"Glenn's spell on day one was probably the turning point. Glenn McGrath is always turning big games."

England skipper Michael Vaughan said: "McGrath and Warne were outstanding and put the batsmen under a ###### of a lot of pressure."

Pressure, he added, had probably also been a factor in his side dropping six catches in the game.

Kevin Pietersen permitted English supporters a thin smile, completing his second half-century on his debut and finishing on 64 not out.

Ponting opted to open hostilities on Sunday with McGrath at the Pavilion End and Warne, who had bamboozled the English top-order on the third day, from the Nursery.

McGrath made the breakthrough in his second over.

Geraint Jones, on six overnight and the last batsman of note apart from Pietersen, played an inexplicable shot off the 15th ball of the day when he attempted to pull McGrath and lobbed the ball to Jason Gillespie at mid-on.

Two balls later it was 158 for seven as Ashley Giles drove off the back foot and edged to Matthew Hayden at gully.

A few more spots of rain caused another 10-minute delay but McGrath was soon back in the groove, trapping Matthew Hoggard lbw for another duck with a fine off-cutter.

Pietersen reached his 50 off 68 balls including a six and five fours but Steve Harmison went first ball to Warne without offering a stroke.

Pietersen swept Warne off middle stump for six but it was all over when Simon Jones slogged at McGrath and was caught by Warne at first slip.

"It's a sensational place to play, especially on a wicket like that," McGrath said. "When you hit the deck the slope helps my type of bowling.

"Taking 500 wickets was a special feeling, something I will always remember."

Australia have not lost at Lord's for 18 tests, stretching back to 1934. They have won five of their last six games at the home of cricket.

The second test of the five-match series starts at Edgbaston, Birmingham, on August 4.

and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

Its called soap and deodorant Lamps :o  :D  :D

Don't you start..........I have enough with my bloody missus. She starts complaining I smell when I come out the shower. :D

try the equation I use to explain it to the girlfriend.

man = men

mai men = katoey :D

Fittingly, however, man of the match McGrath, who ended with overall figures of 9-82
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/4711875.stm

Glen McGrath - the best bowler in the world

and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

Don't you start..........I have enough with my bloody missus. She starts complaining I smell when I come out the shower. :D

man = men

Fittingly, however, man of the match McGrath, who ended with overall figures of 9-82

Only now...I hate to admit this, but the best quick bowler I have ever had the pleasure to watch was D.K Lillie.(fot)

man = men

Only now...I hate to admit this, but the best quick bowler I have ever had the pleasure to watch was D.K Lillie.(fot)

For once I have to agree with you Chuchok! Although, Richard Hadlee was up with the best I have seen.

Why are you being nice to Aussies mate? Is it united against the old enemy?