Australian Great Escape.

Is there some place a dimwitted American like me can go to get a brief jargon-free explanation of this game including information on what all the numbers in the score are? I'm used to games where each team ends up with one number that is their score. The team with the highest number wins.

:o

It's easy...........come on mate.

The team that's out is in. When a batter gets out, he must go in and another one comes in until he is out. When the whole team are out, they must all go in then come out and await for the team that was out to go in. When the second team is out, they all go in and have tea. The first team come out again and wait for the second team to go in again, unless they have too few runs, in that case the team that was out first tells the other team to go back in until they are out. When this team is out and they have more runs, then the first team must go in again and if they do not get out they win. Unless of course it rains. Then both teams, ie the team that is in and the team that is out, both go in until the rain stops then they come out again.

There Mike simple isn't it?

:D:D:D:D

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there some place a dimwitted American like me can go to get a brief jargon-free explanation of this game including information on what all the numbers in the score are? I'm used to games where each team ends up with one number that is their score. The team with the highest number wins.

buadhai, do a Google> Cricket+explanations all the explanations are a bit long winded but you gotta remember that the game was invented by the British so what can you expect. :D

In test cricket The match consists of two innings which means one team has to dismiss the other team twice (twenty dismissals) to win the game.If neither team can accomplish this within the five days the game is a draw. It is still a numbers game as the team that dismissed the other team twice still has to score more runs than the total of the oppositions two innings. (easy huh )

the scores>

England 92/7 Ha Ha Ha means 7 poms were dismissed for a grand total of 92 runs when play resumes today Australia have to dismiss 3 more Poms to end that innings,the runs scored by both teams carry over into the next innings and they do it all again.

Look at a bowlers stats and you will see,

Bowlers name O(overs bowled M(maidens bowled) R(runs scored off his bowling) W(wickets taken) Econ (is the average number of runs scored per over)ie. 10 overs bowled 30 runs scored =Econ rate of 3. Note.a maiden is a 6 ball over where no runs are scored

Batsmans stats> Batsmans name R (total runs scored) B (number of balls faced)

4s(number of 4s hit) 6(number of 6s hit) % is number of balls faced divided by runs scored.ie 10 balls faced ,10 runs scored =100%

A four is when the ball hit goes over the boundry, touching the ground in the process. a six is when the ball clears the boundry on the full (like a home run)

hope that helps.(note. if I got something wrong Lamps will let me know about it :D )

buadhai, do a Google> Cricket+explanations all the explanations are a bit long winded but you gotta remember that the game was invented by the British so what can you expect. :D

In test cricket The match consists of two innings which means one team has to dismiss the other team twice (twenty dismissals) to win the game.If neither team can accomplish this within the five days the game is a draw. It is still a numbers game as the team that dismissed the other team twice still has to score more runs than the total of the oppositions two innings. (easy huh )

the scores>

England 92/7 Ha Ha Ha means 7 poms were dismissed for a grand total of 92 runs when play resumes today Australia have to dismiss 3 more Poms to end that innings,the runs scored by both teams carry over into the next innings and they do it all again.

Bowlers name O(overs bowled M(maidens bowled) R(runs scored off his bowling) W(wickets taken) Econ (is the average number of runs scored per over)ie. 10 overs bowled 30 runs scored =Econ rate of 3. Note.a maiden is a 6 ball over where no runs are scored

4s(number of 4s hit) 6(number of 6s hit) % is number of balls faced divided by runs scored.ie 10 balls faced ,10 runs scored =100%

A four is when the ball hit goes over the boundry, touching the ground in the process. a six is when the ball clears the boundry on the full (like a home run)

hope that helps.(note. if I got something wrong Lamps will let me know about it :D )

No; the only thing I can add to that is

COME ON ENGLAND

Edited by lampard10

A note before you cricket puritans blast me,all the explanations I found on the web were, for a cricket newbie utterly confusing and long winded so I have tried to explain the basics leaving out all the nuances of a test match. :o

:D Could you give all of us an explanation of why all American games seem to score over 100 and have teams of 70? :D Only joking matey

the scores>

But where will I find the Sticky Wicket?

Langer gone for 6 oz 18 for 1 run out

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm beginning to understand.

But, what do the numbers in daleyboy's post (above) mean? And, does the "oz" stand for ounces or Australia?

Finally, why does the pitcher (of course, I mean "bowler") seem to throw like a girl?

But, what do the numbers in daleyboy's post (above) mean? And, does the "oz" stand for ounces or Australia?

Finally, why does the pitcher (of course, I mean "bowler") seem to throw like a girl?

The bowler is not allowed to throw the ball.....the arm should be straight and not bend or flex during the delivery, the ball must be bowled with an overarm motion.

Oz is Aussie.....oz is ounces

What a first day it was aswell... Love cricket, every form of it too, although must admit twenty20 is by far the most exciting, however it does upset the tradionalists..

Going to Edgbaston on the 4th to cheer on the barmy army, 1 of few positive being away from Thailand I suppose...

As for the greatest sporting spectacle, I had the incredible experience of being at a Boca Juniors - Riverplate game a few years back, now that is what a sporting spectacle should be!!

Come on England!!

.....the arm should be straight and not bend or flex during the delivery,

And in Shane Warne's case full of smack. :o

Lampie,

Oz....213/3.....lead of 248.......with 7 wickets in hand......even Johnny is on the plonk....lol....

come to Pattaya next week......I always buy losers one beer....... :D

Ok buadhai let me explain for you. The 6 is for 6 runs, the same as in baseball when a guy gets all the way round and gets a run. This 6 is the score for that particular person. The 18 is how many runs in total the team have, and the 1 is for how many people are out so far. The oz is my fault it should have been Oz. Hope this makes things a little clearer for you matey any more help needed let me know. :o

Well Lamps, looks like your boys will be chasing up to 400, over 2oo overs to do it in but if the wicket starts to take spin ,could be a tough ask. Aussies are still moving along at near one-day rate,maybe they want a day off on the turps.

Well Lamps, looks like your boys will be chasing up to 400, over 2oo overs to do it in but if the wicket starts to take spin ,could be a tough ask. Aussies are still moving along at near one-day rate,maybe they want a day off on the turps.

It's certainly turning into a corker. At the mo, still anyones game. It all depends on this first partnership.

It's certainly turning into a corker. At the mo, still anyones game. It all depends on this first partnership.

Yep,looks like the pitch is playing well judging by the way the Aussie tail-enders went ,so dont think it will be long before they give Warnie a trundle. :o

Anyones game! When England/Sud Afrika is chasing the second highest 4th innings winning score ever? An early good start won't do it boys. (he says hoping he won't have to eat his words sometime tomorrw)

I have a question... why do we have about 4 threads on this forum for the same subject? I don't know where to put my next disparaging remark!

Shane Warne has just come on and is turning them about 2 ft. There has been 3 or 4 lbw appeals already. The last, just before tea, was absolutely out (middle stump) Maybe the umpires feel they have to offset Englands inept catching in this match.