Thai Democrat Party Seeks Court Ruling On 2nd Case

webfact

DISSOLUTION THREAT

Party seeks court ruling on 2nd case

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Democrats ask if EC has followed legal process

The ruling Democrat Party has sought a Constitution Court ruling on whether the Election Commission had followed the proper legal procedure before bringing to court the second dissolution case against the party.

Chuan Leekpai, chief of the Democrat defence team, submitted the relevant documents to the court on Thursday, lawyer Chaivat Triyasunan, who is part of the team, said.

In the petition, the Democrats argued that the EC chairman, in his capacity as the political party registrar, did not make a decision on whether the party was guilty before the election commissioners voted to bring the case to court. As a result, the lawsuit filed by public prosecutors before the court was deemed to be incomplete and could involve a similar issue over legality as in the first dissolution case against the Democrats, which was rejected by the court last Monday.

Chuan explained that the request was not intended to pressure the court to drop the case but rather to ask for a legal interpretation whether both the political party registrar and the EC are empowered to file a dissolution case against his party, the Thai News Agency reported.

A Constitution Court source said that it was likely the judges would consider the Democrat request at a meeting with the two parties in the case scheduled for Thursday.

In the second case, the Democrat Party is accused of unlawfully obtaining Bt258 million in concealed political donation from TPI Polene in 2005. In the first dissolution case, the Democrats were accused of misusing Bt29 million in political campaign funding. The court rejected the first case on grounds it was filed with the court after the 15-day legal deadline of learning about the alleged offence.

The opposition Pheu Thai Party yesterday called on the Democrats to return the Bt29 million to the EC. "There are still many people who are in need. Although it's not a large amount of money, I think it can be spent to help relieve people's problems," deputy Pheu Thai spokesman Jirayu Huangsap said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-05

"The opposition Pheu Thai Party yesterday called on the Democrats to return the Bt29 million to the EC. "There are still many people who are in need. Although it's not a large amount of money, I think it can be spent to help relieve people's problems," deputy Pheu Thai spokesman Jirayu Huangsap said."

I thought Democrats have been doing great job helping to relive people's problems as is,and funny enough i do not recall PTP making this kind of statements when it came to Mr T's money who among many things failed to pay some taxes which is money to help relieve peoples problems

"The opposition Pheu Thai Party yesterday called on the Democrats to return the Bt29 million to the EC. "There are still many people who are in need. Although it's not a large amount of money, I think it can be spent to help relieve people's problems," deputy Pheu Thai spokesman Jirayu Huangsap said."

I thought Democrats have been doing great job helping to relive people's problems as is,and funny enough i do not recall PTP making this kind of statements when it came to Mr T's money who among many things failed to pay some taxes which is money to help relieve peoples problems

Why not call on all their PTP ammat to give back the alpine land.

I think PTP suffers from self serving selective memory!

"The ruling Democrat Party has sought a Constitution Court ruling on whether the Election Commission had followed the proper legal procedure before bringing to court the second dissolution case against the party."

I will make a wild guess that the CC will rule procedure was wrongly followed.Simply a technicality which would nullify any action.

Alternatively delaying tactics could carry on for some time,to the upcoming election perhaps? :whistling:

"The ruling Democrat Party has sought a Constitution Court ruling on whether the Election Commission had followed the proper legal procedure before bringing to court the second dissolution case against the party."

I will make a wild guess that the CC will rule procedure was wrongly followed.Simply a technicality which would nullify any action.

Alternatively delaying tactics could carry on for some time,to the upcoming election perhaps? :whistling:

Actually, they would want it resolved before a new election is called. If an election is called, or indeed run, and THEN the Democrats get disbanded, there maybe problems in getting non-banned MPs into other (new or otherwise) parties and many by-elections required if the election has already occurred.

And given the previous case, there is no point going through the whole case if the legal processes haven't been followed.

and add in his pseudo ex-wife's 756 million baht tax evasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Can Thai Visa tell me what this artical has to do with "Big C Wins Bid For Carrefour Business In Thailand:" ?

Nothing. Where does it suggest that it has?

Its the headline on the link in the email named "Recent postings at Thaivisa Forums / Week in review "

Ahhh ... so it is. Obviously someone's attached the wrong link when they sent out the email.