Cheap Taxi In Front Of Home Works, Illegal?

Dutchman6

I think we all know the blue bahtbus that goes in circles for 10 thb but is also parked in front of places like Carrefour, Tesco and Home Works where it targets destinations carrying your big stuff starting at 200thb. Now there's also this group of guys sitting at the entrance of Home Works that don't wear the "uniform" and don't make use of the official looking "bahtbus" yet drives in regular vehicles. I get them to drive for 150thb but they didn't even know the way in town and were very clumsy with my stuff, now I'm wondering, are these a bunch of illegal renegades going round which I should better avoid or just a small official group just going for Home Works? My thai lacks to get the answer.

If the vehicle has a yellow license plate it is a legally registered taxi. Vehicles processing white with blue lettering license plates are also legally registered to charter passengers. Vehicles possessing white with black lettering license plates, are illegal to charter passengers.

Edited by BB1950

They (or just him is not clear to me) drive golden/brownish pickup trucks, will have a look at the plate next time!

and what if plate not right--------------------you want to confront them / argue get yourself walloped and go monkey house to pay money to them-------------i think not

keep away from them and keep nose out of thai business or they get you believe me

I always though the white plate with blue lettering meant it is a pickup truck for 2 people only (work vehicle).

There is a white plate with green lettering that I have seen on many work (commercial) vehicles, but I have seen them carrying more than two people. Sometimes a whole work team.

I see you are a recent member my friend. So maybe you are new here. A bit of advice, keep a low profile, do not ask Thais about things like the legality of their business. This is not Europe. Take care not to be ripped off, well not too often anyway. Those guys have seen a way to make a bit of cash so you have to admire them for it.