Thailand Set To Raise Age Of Consent To 20 For Sex With Women?

Jingthing

I have just seen who the minister is. He is a dinosaur, who probably grew up in times when premarital sex was taboo so does not see any problem with his new suggestion. "If I didn't do it, you shouldn't either!!!!" His hands are probably heavily calloused too.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly, there are laws against prostitution too, but they are rarely enforced. If the Western governments could get away with prosecuting their own citizens for this, it would be something different, but there is no way that most of them can prosecute anyone if the Thai person is over 18 without changing their laws just for Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Next they'll start discussing banning spaghetti strap tops because they show too much. Oh, wait they already have discussed this. Some of these ministers are simply out of touch with reality. All that is needed is to teach sex ed. at school. Your typical kid out in the sticks knows to stick it in and wiggle it about but that is about it. Neither the boys nor the girls have any idea about contraception.

The people need to be kept in line with strict laws and severe penalties for breaching them. :Dave:

I went to a party and this hi - so teacher (50) l know turned up with a girl of about 16 on his arm, obviously a pupil.

Yep, and he is happily married. :huh:

There was a big fight next to the inlaws house a while ago. The daughter, 18, was slapped around by the wife of her teacher who accused her of having an affair with him.

The allegation was denied but a few days later the girl was expelled from school and it turns out she disappeared to 'Aunties' for an abortion.

The teacher is still gainfully employed at the same school.

The girls dad recently had a stroke and subsequently died. His wife said from the stress of the whole situation.

Next they'll start discussing banning spaghetti strap tops because they show too much. Oh, wait they already have discussed this. Some of these ministers are simply out of touch with reality. All that is needed is to teach sex ed. at school. Your typical kid out in the sticks knows to stick it in and wiggle it about but that is about it. Neither the boys nor the girls have any idea about contraception.

The people need to be kept in line with strict laws and severe penalties for breaching them. :Dave:

I went to a party and this hi - so teacher (50) l know turned up with a girl of about 16 on his arm, obviously a pupil.

There was a big fight next to the inlaws house a while ago. The daughter, 18, was slapped around by the wife of her teacher who accused her of having an affair with him.

The allegation was denied but a few days later the girl was expelled from school and it turns out she disappeared to 'Aunties' for an abortion.

The teacher is still gainfully employed at the same school.

The girls dad recently had a stroke and subsequently died. His wife said from the stress of the whole situation.

There you go. Where l am it is rife. :)

Stroke is a stroke, nothing to do with stress, but the thought of a money earner is for sure in the background. :D

Word is that the teacher is paying for the girl to finish her schooling elsewhere and he also bought her a brand new Honda Wave.

One thing I found amusing? is that when the wife was slapping around the girl she was screaming 'Why can't you girls leave my husband alone?'

Their fault not his.

Edited by apetley

2,000 Aborted fetuses found. So a Politician suggest raising the legal age to procreate to 20 from 15 (I believe that is what it said in the Bangkok Post, but I may be mistaken). Now everybody in Thai Visa is arguing about what a crazy idea it is. I agree that it is not a good solution. But why hasn’t anybody brought up the idea of educating the young instead of incarcerating them???

Ok now you can let me have it…..

If this law is brought in then Thailand would become depopulated pretty quickly leaving the place to we farangs. Doesn't the Minister know that this is a country of 14 year olds and governed by 16 year olds? Certainly his mental age seems to be adolescent.

If this is true, it would be a typically pigheaded moral crusade by the sexphobic and moralising in government, and completely useless (and therefore easy to do). Having the current age of consent has not stopped girls that I know of from becoming pregnant at THIRTEEN. With other laws moving towards not stigmatising the young pregnant girls on the books (the ones allowing continuing education) this kind of law would be in the wrong direction. The only things that work are education, support for female reproductive choices, birth control pills, and condoms.

And what is it the straight teenage boys are supposed to be doing (including the 18 and 19 year olds)? Oh, that's right: they never have sex anyway because it would be against 'traditional Thai culture'.

Feh.

Strangely many do. Seems since the introduction and ads on rubbers, many young ladies are raising cash for their school fees without worry. :huh: Seen loads of hi - so guys with girls in uniform in out of the way restaurants. No not me. :D

I think the highlighted portion specifically absolved you from culpability....

OK. Then there is nothing to argue about. Of course people should follow the law, whatever the law is. I also think most westerners think an age of consent as high as 20 is rather medieval. That would definitely be way higher than the international mainstream age of consent.

I don't even need to do a poll about this. I would bet the house most people here would consider age 20 a very high age of consent.

No, medieval would be about 12. But I imagine 20 would be the highest anywhere anytime. I may be wrong.

I find this amusing since I was chatting to a medical litigation Thai lawyer friend yesterday about the topic of the age of consent. He was clearing up the issue of parental consent from 15 to 20.

In any event, today's recommendation by the Minister seems to be a continuation of the general tendency towards the infantilisation of women and the angelification of childhood, two processes that Westerners will be familiar with, certainly in the UK and the USA.

No doubt if the Minister is successful in changing the law, in twenty years time, they will want to shift the age of consent to 25, since by then, women's maturation will be re-constructed to the age of 25.

I would like to humbly offer an alternative. Legalise abortion to the liberal levels of the UK. Problem solved. If you have a problem with abortion as a sin (perhaps you are a Buddhist) then don't have an abortion, but don't tell anyone else what to do.

If you tell me that you think abortion is murder then I don't believe you. Your current reaction to abortion in the UK and the USA is a disgrace. If I believed abortion was murder and saw 5 million (or whatever) annual abortions in the UK (compare childhood stranger-danger murders at around 10 a year in the UK) then I would not be able to sleep at night until I had stopped it. I would try to put together the elements for a coup d'etat in the UK to remove such a murderous regime. But you, the anti-abortionist, don't do that. Your position lacks sincerity.

Let's hope this Minister's idea is dumped (along with all the foetus bodies in the local temple) in the festering slum quarters that he is so concerned about.

So currently what is the age of parental consent? I thought it was 20 now.

Edited by mark45y

OK. Then there is nothing to argue about. Of course people should follow the law, whatever the law is. I also think most westerners think an age of consent as high as 20 is rather medieval. That would definitely be way higher than the international mainstream age of consent.

I don't even need to do a poll about this. I would bet the house most people here would consider age 20 a very high age of consent.

No, medieval would be about 12. But I imagine 20 would be the highest anywhere anytime. I may be wrong.

Yeah, I get your point, but you know what I mean, so easy on the pedantry.

post-37101-0-54476500-1293165121_thumb.g

Given the number of 18-19 year old girls working the poles in Nana Plaza etc such a law might serve well in protecting these girls from the consequent drug addiction and later emotional damage.

Just a thought folks from someone who has seen a friend's daughter go through this and the court case eventual guilty plea and four year jail sentence......thankfully now released but having lost a large part of her young life. Very sad.

I doubt there is much concern about 15 year olds having sex together.....same as there's little concern for the same in the UK or elsewhere.

yea take it with a pinch of salt, same as prostitution is illegal blink.gif

No, this is wrong. Prostitution laws aren't enforced. Underage sex laws ARE enforced. Of course the latter should be enforced, but objectively age 20 is too high an age to be considered underage.

"Hi-so teacher"? Isn't that an oxymoron?

"Hi-so teacher"? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Aren't all teachers hi-so?.....the status conferred is it not? :unsure:

Aren't all teachers hi-so?.....the status conferred is it not? :unsure:

Can't really see how you can confer the status of being a member of high society, either you are or you aren't, no?

Teachers might be respected but AFAIK they are not generally from rich / influential families (I guess it's not impossible but it sounds like an unusual career choice for somebody who comes from a wealthy background).

On the actual topic, I do think this proposed change in the law should be of very little interest to posters here, considering that the majority of us are old enough to have a child of 20 and some to have a grandchild of that age.

Edited by inthepink

On the actual topic, I do think this proposed change in the law should be of very little interest to posters here, considering that the majority of us are old enough to have a child of 20 and some to have a grandchild of that age.

Ever been to an a go go?

:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

Yeah, I know. This is a respectable forum. Nobody here goes to such places, but just in case ...

Edited by Jingthing

Ever been to an a go go?

Yeah, I know. This is a respectable forum. Nobody here goes to such places, but just in case ...

Yes I have but were I to indulge myself I wouldn't choose a girl half my age, although maybe that's a personal issue.

Ever been to an a go go?

Yeah ever been to an a gogo?

Please read my earlier post regarding drug use and naievety of a Thai 18-19 year old girl.

Ever been to an a go go?

Yes I have but were I to indulge myself I wouldn't choose a girl half my age, although maybe that's a personal issue.

Just curious, do you think that would make you morally superior to someone who "chose" a partner who was half their age (or more) but still of legal age? Or perhaps it's a matter of taste?

Just curious, do you think that would make you morally superior to someone who "chose" a partner who was half their age (or more) but still of legal age? Or perhaps it's a matter of taste?

Well we don't have to use the conditional tense as I have paid for sex in the past (only in countries where it is legal of course)...

I'm not sure if I would go as far as to say I felt morally superior to old men who paid to have sex with girls young enough to be their daughter / granddaughter but I found such liaisons rather distasteful, as I would in unpaid relationships too. Some people may find that odd, considering I was happy to participate in pay-for-play and they may well have a point!

I guess it is just my upbringing that leads me to feel that sleeping with an 18-20 yr old at my age (were I still single) would be "wrong" in some way, although I certainly wasn't brought up to think that prostitution was acceptable either so I cannot really justify my position on this, it's just how I feel.

Edited by inthepink

The whole concept of religion is built around not doing things that obviously feel good. Not doing things that everyone wants to do.

If you have a choice of sleeping with a beautiful young woman or an old ugly one only an insane man would pick the old ugly one except, and it is a big except if he was a moral man. If you got religion the old ugly one is obviously the right choice.

Muslims get 7 virgins when they die, I think. It would not be too cool if they tried to get them when they were alive. Everyone would say they were bad people. Except, if they lived in Thailand. 7 virgins is not much of a problem here if you have the cash. Ergo a lot of Muslim tourists coming to Thailand.

How many over 40 women compete in the Miss Thailand beauty pageant? Not many, I don't think, but if you are an old guy and have religion you know it is not a good idea to bed a Miss Thailand candidate. Miss Thailand is not going to sleep with a young guy because he doesn't have the kind of cash she wants so the poor thing goes without.

What kind of upbringing produces a moral mind set that tells a man an old ugly woman is better than a young beautiful woman? I would imagine it is the same mindset that tells a man one woman is better than two women. In bed A we have one middle-aged woman in flannel pajamas. In bed B we have two 20 year old Thai women in stockings and suspenders. Come on Jingthing do a poll. How many for bed A?