Lifan Custom V250

PaulD

I've started this thread in hopes that someone else on the bike forum can let me know about their experiences with this twin. I just joined because I saw about Lifan Dealers in Chiang Mai. Someone posted that Honda wanted 120,000 baht for the non-ABS one, so I went over there and that's what they said. I don't mind be taxed for being a foreigner, but 20,000K turned me off the Honda people here. I ended up buying the Lifan 250 to pick up on Christmas Day based only in impressions I gained from the thread listed below and from seeing the thing.

I posted first impressions in a note, post #56 of the thread which I put below. It was on a Lifan thread about dealers, but has pictures and some useful information as well as the usual fluff and arguments about Chinese bikes. Whatever the gamble with this Chinese bike, I have 20,000K in my pocket to throw at the problem, and that's not including the other 22,000 I didn't spend to get the Honda CBR 250 R.

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/375872-lifan-lf250-b/page__pid__4113782__st__50#entry4113782

I just did 200kms today, and yesterday I received an English language Owners Manual. There is at least one other in English that differs somewhat, and I have the Thai one as well. I have yet to sort these out.

We have wonderful circles to travel out of Chiang Mai for bike testing. I went north from town on the 1001 to Phrao, then over to Chiang Dio (excellent lunch at a Nest there) and returned on the 107. These present varied conditions.

First, the speedometer is accurate – maybe 1km fast in some situations, compared to a borrowed gps at 60, 80, 90, and 100. Second, I was wrong about the fuel. The 9.5 liters I had mentioned is in addition to the reserve, given as 2.6 liters. So far, I have 300 kms on the first tankful and have not reached the reserve. Manual claims around 2.3L/100K in economy cruise, which nobody will ever use, whatever it means. I'll post more later on my mileage.

In addition to earlier comments, I can say something about torque, such as it is - lower and middle rpms. This operator finds himself shifting up to get more acceleration when in a higher revving gear. For sports bike riders, folks accustomed to the little CRB's, this is clearly counter-intuitive.

So is steering. I chided "news" for claiming that the rear tire does not want to follow somehow. The thought comes from the fact that the bike is not in any way a sports bike, where the driver and bike are one. In these highway cruisers, the steering seems ahead, part of a different bike almost, an articulating bus or truck. Once you are comfortable with that "feel," however, the bike is nicely balanced and handles well. You do not have the sense of being up and over the steering axis. You follow it from behind and steer. I liked it for me.

Now I've done some "higher speed" stops (80, 90, 100). It is early to conclude anything, but the rear drum brake is no powerhouse yet. Both together, however, suit my expectations.

The bike is broad, and sports riders will immediately notice the fat tank, or the broad reach on the handle bars. Or amazingly low seating position. Underway, however, I think that the overall balance of the bike is reassuring to those of us who grew up on old BSR's and Nortons and those Harleys with springs under their leather seats.

Handbook tells me to break in the bike at about the 80% rpm mark and less. No indicator for that, however. The analog speedometer shows 120km/h as a red line. So I took 80% and while driving figured out that in fifth gear 80% of 120 is 110. (I really like to ride this bike.) But in the process, I confirmed that upper rpm's are not where the power grows. Getting higher will be one of those waiting games, not like a screamer at all.

I still have found not one thing wrong, personal adjustments aside. For the long run, I've no idea about odds.

Finally, a note on suspension. I find the front a bit spongy when braking, but very useful otherwise and it did not bottom at all. The spring and shocks on the rear are adjustable, the book says, and need to be set to a stronger position (by the dealer, the book says) for my weight. I bottomed once and it is a bit bouncy as well at the present

factory setting.

post-120309-0-59004800-1293530731_thumb.

Edited by PaulD

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good report on a bike most of us haven't seen yet, Paul.

If in fact it's a Yamaha 250 "clone", and it sounds like it is, using original Yamaha tooling, I think it will do well.

There are plenty of Phantoms here in Pattaya, and as word get out, that's a good-sized base of potential customers. Word of mouth reports like yours will help to get that word out. So please continue to update us as you get more miles(kilometers) on it.

Did I miss seeing warranty information?

Did I miss seeing warranty information?~ bobbin

I thought I mentioned on the earlier post that they say 2 years on the engine and vague oral promises on the frame. This is another part of the gamble, of course, that you don't get with the big three - or some others, Tiger I have read. As it is now, though, I'm glad I didn't get the cbr 150, so far, it seems, maybe.

Nice looking bike Paul.

I think this bike will suit "grown up" gentlemen much better that the new Honda CBR 250. The riding position looks just right for comfy cruising up to 100 km/h.

May I ask, how much did it cost, I am bit confused when I read your OP.

Safe riding.

Nice looking bike Paul.

I think this bike will suit "grown up" gentlemen much better that the new Honda CBR 250. The riding position looks just right for comfy cruising up to 100 km/h.

May I ask, how much did it cost, I am bit confused when I read your OP.

Safe riding./quote

===========================================================================================

78,000Baht all in, including registration, green book, govt. basic insurance. I paid 3350 for the large (Chinese) top box and the frame construction and installation from other locals, because dealer wanted 3600 for a large top box (not Givi) alone and quite a bit more for a chrome luggage carrier of great glitter and little promise of staying that way.

Edited by PaulD

Cool, that is only slightly more than a PCX and you get double the engine size and much more touring capabilities.

Time will tell if it is robust, but with only 18 horse power and as I can understand made in Thailand sounds pretty bullet proof to me.

Cool, that is only slightly more than a PCX and you get double the engine size and much more touring capabilities.

Time will tell if it is robust, but with only 18 horse power and as I can understand made in Thailand sounds pretty bullet proof to me.

Are you serious, compare something called Lifan to a Honda?? Even my spell checker goes red when i put Lifan in :blink:

Lucky you got 2 years on it, you might need it :( , you dont need it on the big 3 :whistling:

Are you serious, compare something called Lifan to a Honda?? Even my spell checker goes red when i put Lifan in :blink:

Lucky you got 2 years on it, you might need it :( , you dont need it on the big 3 :whistling:

HD,

You are sooo right. It is a gamble. But the word "might" is correct. Lifan sounds strange to me, and we don't know about longevity in this climate particularly. However, I've almost 70,000 baht in hand over buying the Ninja 250, a comfortable bike that rides sweet enough for me (so far) and has some torque, if not so fast as even the old Honda cbr150, and a corporation behind it trying to build (I think) a reputation.

Kind of buying a Japanese (big three plus several others) car. Question is about the stage of the corporation development. I hear people say that this is the Century of China, but it doesn't help in this case, even if that prediction comes true.

FUEL REPORT - forgot to mention that the only gasahol advised for this bike is 95. While benzine 91 is OK according to the dealer, owner's manual says 93 octane. So there are savings in fuel to be had with the new Hondas, no question. I should gas up tomorrow and get an initial sense of mileage.

Starting to feel that I'm the only one in Thailand riding this bike, though I've seen two others. Too busy riding or the holidays? Maybe we're illiterate.

Edited by PaulD

Okay, so lets not compare. Who cares. Certainly not PaulD because he has bought one. Enjoy yourself and your new bike. There will always be naysayers. If it endures the climate here for only a few years or many, it does not really matter. At that price, I would be happy with 3 or 4 years without any major repairs. I am sure you will have lots of fun with it.

Really ... major chinese manufacturers are fast become household name brands in the western

world (think Haier Lenovo etc.) and have for many years been producing parts for Japanese

European and American motorcycles including of course Honda and Harley Davidson.

Japanese motorcycle manufacturers received a similar sceptical reception when emerging in the

global marketplace. I suspect that in the coming decade chinese bike manufacturers will achieve

an accelerated level of consumer confidence that will eventually lead to factories such as Zongshen

and Lifan to mergers and aquisitions of smaller "boutique" brands such as Harley Davidson and even

the big 3?

With the local production facility and a growing dealer network I imagine PaulD will soon have quite a

number of fellow owners to compare notes with.

Edited by ThunderDuck

Really ... major chinese manufacturers are fast become household name brands in the western

world (think Haier Lenovo etc.) and have for many years been producing parts for Japanese

European and American motorcycles including of course Honda and Harley Davidson.

Japanese motorcycle manufacturers received a similar sceptical reception when emerging in the

global marketplace. I suspect that in the coming decade chinese bike manufacturers will achieve

an accelerated level of consumer confidence that will eventually lead to factories such as Zongshen

and Lifan to mergers and aquisitions of smaller "boutique" brands such as Harley Davidson and even

the big 3?

With the local production facility and a growing dealer network I imagine PaulD will soon have quite a

number of fellow owners to compare notes with.

Sure in a decade or 2, people have been saying that for so many years ;) , Lenovo was bought from the West, what did the Chinese invent? they are "trying" to copy 20-30 year old bikes, that’s about it, not much but copy from China, but hey no problem if you want copy, as for stuff been made in China all big companies have been doing that for so many years, but remember that when they do it they have people from West to overlook that it’s done to their standard, have you ever seen any copy stuff from China last a long time?? :)

Lenovo was bought from the West, what did the Chinese invent?

"China has been the source of many significant inventions, including the Four Great Inventions of ancient China: papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing (both woodblock and movable type). The list below contains these and other inventions. The Chinese invented technologies involving mechanics, hydraulics, and mathematics applied to horology, metallurgy, astronomy, agriculture, engineering, music theory, craftsmanship, nautics, and warfare. By the Warring States Period (403–221 BC), they had advanced metallurgic technology, including the blast furnace and cupola furnace, while the finery forge and puddling process were known by the Han Dynasty (202 BC – AD 220). "

Extracted from the introductory paragraph of the wikipedia list of chinese inventions which may be found here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

Interestingly enough the list includes chain drive, belt drive and high alcohol beer!

Lenovo was bought from the West, what did the Chinese invent?

"China has been the source of many significant inventions, including the Four Great Inventions of ancient China: papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing (both woodblock and movable type). The list below contains these and other inventions. The Chinese invented technologies involving mechanics, hydraulics, and mathematics applied to horology, metallurgy, astronomy, agriculture, engineering, music theory, craftsmanship, nautics, and warfare. By the Warring States Period (403–221 BC), they had advanced metallurgic technology, including the blast furnace and cupola furnace, while the finery forge and puddling process were known by the Han Dynasty (202 BC – AD 220). "

Extracted from the introductory paragraph of the wikipedia list of chinese inventions which may be found here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

Interestingly enough the list includes chain drive, belt drive and high alcohol beer!

Yeah but things sort of dropped off for a while. But does it matter, motorcycles don't need to be invented. They just need to be put together right. China is building rockets, I am sure they can work out how to build a simple cruiser bike.

I think the little Lifan C 250 will be just fine, it is not exactly rocket science to build a simple bike like that as canuckamuck correctly states, LOL :rolleyes:

But lets see, when posters here get some miles on their Lifan's and give us some feedback.

I must however admit that as a Harley owner/fan that I was chocked to read on CNN that HD will start assemble bikes in India :( , but only for the local market (for now).

I am a fan of the Lifan LF400 and this 250cc looks to be a nice slightly larger replacement for my Phantom (if it ever blows up within the next year). I'm patiently waiting for the bigger cc Chinese bikes to be imported to Singapore.

A few 125 to 150cc models have been shipped in already but compared to the venerable Japanese models they are still expensive and are suffering from some durability issues - the electrics hate tropical monsoons! These problem bikes are of the Zongshen brand but I'm expecting more from Lifan - they were and still are a manufacturer for industrial machinery (as I've read here in Thaivisa) and I love simple "industrialist" bikes.

"These problem bikes are of the Zongshen brand but I'm expecting more from Lifan "

I think that all the half decent Chinese brands are actually suffering from being copied by other Chinese factories. Both Zongshen and Lifan have released press releases detailing this. The Zongshen's here in Thailand SEEM to be ok..

I am a fan of the Lifan LF400 and this 250cc looks to be a nice slightly larger replacement for my Phantom (if it ever blows up within the next year). I'm patiently waiting for the bigger cc Chinese bikes to be imported to Singapore.

A few 125 to 150cc models have been shipped in already but compared to the venerable Japanese models they are still expensive and are suffering from some durability issues - the electrics hate tropical monsoons! These problem bikes are of the Zongshen brand but I'm expecting more from Lifan - they were and still are a manufacturer for industrial machinery (as I've read here in Thaivisa) and I love simple "industrialist" bikes.

Hi Kalyan

If you do blow up your Phantom and we can find a way to import it you could always buy mine. B)

Arrived at 332 kms today and purchased 95 gasahol. Mileage was at least 36 k/l, with 2/3 of it easy (+-90) driving. For the first 300kms, that's quite surprising, I thought. Going to continue to keep the figures for 5 tanks or so. Rear brakes already seating better. I do not know if they offer other than black colors, but between the chrome and the paint, there's a lot to keep clean - silver's paint's my choice, on a bare bike with no spokes (all opposite to this model). But there is the undoubted hum, more like a mechanical whir, of the twin. that is very satisfying - smooth too. Without stressing, you can put the kidz in the rear mirrors in ten meters. Third gear does them all in.

100 in 4th at the end of its poop, but not whining yet. 5th a calm middle range murmur. Very steady in all regimes so far.

"The bike is cloned after the Yamaha Virago 250 and many parts are interchangeable between the two." Yahoo contributor.

I keep finding the above asserted all over the U.S. internet. Rich-BKK has denied that is a direct clone, but reports that some permissions were given. Engine specs that I've seen are identical. But I do not suppose that this assures manufacturing or assembly standards, even if the tooling is original.

You're making it sound better and better, which is no bad thing.

Appearance wise the Lifan looks a bit like a cross between Steed and Daystar with Phantom handlebar risers so it would blend in perfectly to the other small customs :)

Hi Kalyan

If you do blow up your Phantom and we can find a way to import it you could always buy mine. B)

LOL after drilling holes in the airbox to get rid of some flat spots in the torque curve it seems more than eager to run quite fast. I've been waiting for it to blow up for ages because it's like, twice as loud as a normal Phantom. Nope, just keeps going and going. The other small bikes wonder why I keep up easily with tuned KRRs, SPs, etc and overtake them uphill.

I wanted my Dad's CB250 for Lifan-like performance as the above review, but then I need to upgrade my license for anything above 250cc.

Lifan does go 120, but as posted, that's the red line on the speedometer and anyway, I had not the patience. 5th gear has push at 70, more at 80, and not a lot, so far, after 110. I mentioned before that my speedometer is accurate to +or- 1 km/h from 60, and each 10 up to 100 - basically, identical to gps on the flat and straight.

Went by shop in Chiang Mai. No bikes - all sold. They have ordered 15! All are black. However, one new owner has the bike in back being painted green, as black is a bad color for that buyer. Somehow I don't think that the bike went to a Ninja wanna-be, or a farang of any kind.

Nobody else out there riding the Lifan Custom 250?:huh:

Edited by PaulD

I am confused about having a redline on a speedometer. If I buy one of these I am going to add a tach and find out the real redline (engine revs).

I doubt the bike would actually redline at the top of fifth gear, maybe if you were going downhill. I'll bet the bike goes more than 120.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Paul, long time not read anything from you...

Please keep us up-to-date with your experience...

Not much to report as I have a life in addition to biking, let alone Lifan.:rolleyes:

The rear brakes have seated better and the manufacturers struck it lucky or even know what they're doing, because the brake pedal, which had been at a high angle, is now natural. Still do not get a massive amount of stopping, but in unified braking from 90, I'm still satisfied.

I had posted 36k/l, but that was in country leisurely touring, mostly (but very early on). I find (actually someone else was driving :whistling: that it gets less in city traffic, but I'll have to measure more to be accurate. In this connection, a trivial matter is that the fuel knob points upward for reserve and downward for on and forward for off. I think that counter-intuitive, but it's easier to learn when someone else is walking the bike.

Coming up against 1,000 kms, I'm waiting to go in for the license and green book to get back from Land Transportation. Thereafter, on trips, I should be able to gather some facts to add. But for a slight emission of smoke from the upper pipe at a joint at high speeds, I find nothing to fix, adjust, or improve.

Edited by PaulD

I see so many Platinum or JRD Riders here in Thailand,

but I am really surprised, that there is only one Lifan-V-Custom 250 - Rider only here.....?

The Lifan v 250 is a fairly new Bike from a manufacturer that has only recently started selling Bikes in thailand (but used to sell engines since a while)...i am sure you will see more of them around.

To be honest i hardly see any Platinums in my Place...some jrd's only.

mbox.

Edited by mbox