New Interpretation On 90 Day Reporting By Immigration Officer?

I have just returned home after obtaining the rest of my one year extension based on marriage at my local Immi. office (Kanchanaburi).

Whilst there, the officer asked me when my next 90 day reporting date was. I told her that it was 12th January. She said that I could do it now if I had the form with me. I said that I thought the rules were up to 7 days before and/or up to 7 days after. She informed me that I could report up to 15 days before but not any days after the date. I did not argue the case and filled out my TM 47 there and then.

This might be of significance to those that deal with the Kanchanaburi office.

Looks like yet another interpretation of the rules by an upcountry office or perhaps an individual officer. :unsure: :unsure:

Yeah but both of these reports are linked to a visit to immigration for another, more important reason, so you can't extrapolate a general policy change from that.

Point taken Jingthing but what was of more concern to me was the officer saying that there was no leeway for reporting late.

Yeah but both of these reports are linked to a visit to immigration for another, more important reason, so you can't extrapolate a general policy change from that.

Point taken Jingthing but what was of more concern to me was the officer saying that there was no leeway for reporting late.

Don't report late then.

Don't report late then.

I don't but it was more of a warning to others who deal with the Kanchanaburi office that might and find that they are fined 2,000 baht.

I have also been given an opportunity to do my 90 report at the time of visa extension on a couple of occasions over the years. Make sense and saves extra effort for the applicant and the officers.

BB

Edited by Badbanker

It's a new law for the 90 days reporting (andI prefer this new one). You can report 15days before the date till 7 days after. It's not a new interpretation, and I think this new law going in the good way for us.

But well, very annoying to report every 90 days (and stress too). I hate to wait 1 hour at the "country" immigration check point of Nakhon Pathom for just this stuff cleared in 1 min by the officer...

I seriously doubt that it is a law - the old seven day window was not. Please cite your source for the above post as people could be very inconvenienced if it is not a uniform policy.

I have lived in Thailand for about 19 years on a 1 year B visa and and work permit. I have never once did the 90 day reporting. Is this really required? Surely, somebody would have told me or fined me upon renewal of my visa over the last 10 years?

Gil

Some officers are human and considerate, others are just robots without feelings. Smaller offices tend to be more human, you can chat and joke with the staff. Sure there are rules but to a Thai rules are just suggestions, not things to enforce.

It's a new law for the 90 days reporting (andI prefer this new one). You can report 15days before the date till 7 days after. It's not a new interpretation, and I think this new law going in the good way for us.

But well, very annoying to report every 90 days (and stress too). I hate to wait 1 hour at the "country" immigration check point of Nakhon Pathom for just this stuff cleared in 1 min by the officer...

In Western countries, only Ex-Cons or people on criminal probation are required to report in this way. So, naturally, many foreigners dislike being treated like a criminal.

A lot of immigration offices only allow you to report up to 7 days after the due date if you go in person, not if you do it by mail.

It's six days, not seven. The day it falls due is counted as day one.

Don't people ever listen? I've been here a long time. This is how it works. It cost me B2000. I learned the hard way.

I have yet to risk reporting even the next day after the due date. Too "thrifty" to risk a fine for something so trivial.

I can confirm that I got exactly the same information of the ability to report 15 days PRIOR to the renewal of the 90 days at the local Hua-Hin Immigration office only about a month ago. Late and you'll be fined as stated.

In Western countries, only Ex-Cons or people on criminal probation are required to report in this way. So, naturally, many foreigners dislike being treated like a criminal.

That's the same feeling I get when in Thailand -- I wonder if there is actually a purpose to 90-day reporting, other than being an (as usual) income-generator form the farang ATM's.

That's the same feeling I get when in Thailand -- I wonder if there is actually a purpose to 90-day reporting, other than being an (as usual) income-generator form the farang ATM's.

Funny thing is that the 90-day reporting is free... so I really don't get the point.

It's certainly an inconvenience, and in my view utterly pointless, but it doesn't cost anything so I don't understand your point - unless you don't comply with the regulation of course.

Maybe, just maybe, one day we will be able to report online - I can dream.

A lot of immigration offices only allow you to report up to 7 days after the due date if you go in person, not if you do it by mail.

It always worked out for me pretty well by mail. :jap:

Yes, a lot of offices allow you to report by mail 7 days before till 7 days after. But as said, there are immigration offices that only allow for up to 7 days after the due date if you report in person.

Funny thing is that the 90-day reporting is free... so I really don't get the point.
It's certainly an inconvenience, and in my view utterly pointless, but it doesn't cost anything so I don't understand your point - unless you don't comply with the regulation of course.

Believe the point is this was not required until fairly recently and many, many people have had to pay 2k or more fines for them not being aware of the new enforcement. Not to mention those who forget, get sick, in accident and such that now have a new deadline every 90 days. Although I can understand the desire to keep address information current I believe the comparison to ex-convict reporting to probation officer is valid and the fact no simple method, such as internet, has been adapted for this housekeeping process is a real shame.

^^^^^

Sorry lopburi3 the point I didn't understand about the post I quoted was the inference that reporting was introduced as a cash cow, which it clearly isn't.

There was an earlier post inferring that few if any other countries have this requirement, that is not strictly true. The UK, for instance, has a number of Reporting Centres, I seem to recall about 14, in fact there was one near where I worked in Croydon, I daily passed the line of reportees waiting to report to the UKBA. It's not however a like for like comparrison as this was for Asylum Seekers who needed to report to their caseworkers to ascertain if their circumstances had changed and sometimes to notify them of the results of their asylum claim. I know that frequently reportees were detained from these reporting centres so, unlike Thailand, there was actually a reason for it.

Intersting. I did my 90 report in Bangkok about two weeks ago and they told me that there is no leeway if you report late. Also told me I could not change my retirement visa to the type where you are supporting children even though both are Non-O visas. Also told me that the papers I received from the court giving me joint custody were not valid to support a claim for the supporting the family visa and I needed 'more writing' on the court documents. I asked what else they wanted added and the lady replied 'more writing'. I said I don;t think I would far with the court without being more specific and she said 'You don't understand'. I said 'You are right I don't understand but never mind, I will do what I can'. I will go to a different office. I went with my 2 year old (one of three kids).

I was also advised in order to get the family visa I would need to exit Thailand without a re-entry stamp to cancel my Retirement Visa and then re-enter on a 15 day visa, make the application and they would see if they would grant a new visa which would take a month. I said well if I only have a fifteen day visa the other visa would not be ready until the tourist visa expires and that doing that might affect a later application for residency. I didn't get an answer except - well it's not my responsibility - it would be another officer dealing with that.

It reminded me of the UK where you are sent from pillar to post with rather unhelpful officials. Anyway I got my 90 day reporting done so it was not a complete waste of a day.

The change in extension reason should be when new application is due. If not they would likely have to start over with a new entry as they said. All such extensions of stay take a month (or more) before being approved - but they provide a stamp allowing stay until approval is received. Retirement is much easier of them and application and requirement is simple and does not require visits to home and such paperwork and can be approved at local level. If you do not meet retirement extension of stay requirements at next application time you should make the change then.

You can not 'go to a different office' as all extensions must be done in your physical residence area and will be checked.

This thread covers the 90 day reporting to different immigration offices but nothing Ive seen refers to airport immigration. I would be 2 days over my 90 day reporting when I fly out of country next month. Does anyone know if the airport immigration rules are the same? I certainly dont want to stand in line for my 90 day renewal then two days later fly out of country.

If anyone has tested this or knows the answer please let myself and everybody else know

Thanks