Lakeside-Restaurants - Doi Suthep

Drew Aitch

Hello Chiang Mai

I've often looked at the signs for those Lakeside Restaurants at the foot of Doi Suthep (Suthep Road end), but have not yet dined at any of them.

So i was just wondering if anyone here has been to either Galae Resturant of the Palaad Tawanron, and if so, would you mind posting your thoughts here?

Lakeside-Restaurants.gif

Thanks guys

Aitch

Both are nice Galae has a nice setting with lots of flowers planted & the food was good, More of a lunch setting IMO

Palaad is really cool with its views of Chiang Mai at night & more of a dinner spot IMO food good too

Both places I say good food but not great again just my opinion. Palaad is a nice setting at night with its music & romantic

I have been to Galae twice & both times had awful service and indifferent food.

The first time there were four of us, each with a different main course ordered. When we had consumed three main courses but were still awaiting the fourth we called a nearby waitress to enquire about the missing meal. She went off into the night & reappeared a while later to tell us that they did not have what we had ordered & that the kitchen was now closed. So we left somewhat unsatisfied & bemused.

The second time we had some European friends from the hospitality industry with us & they wanted to eat where they could see the city on their last night. This time there were eight of us & once again we only received part of our order. As the waiters/waitresses were nowhere to be found I climbed up the steps to locate the person in charge, who was leaning against a wall chatting to staff. When I stated that we were waiting for an order forty minutes after the order was placed I was met with incredulity, but I prevailed & he eventually accepted that we were missing two orders. As we were sick of waiting we paid for what we had received and left.

I returned the next morning to speak to the owner & was informed that the said person was in Pattaya. I requested that I be contacted to discuss my dissatisfaction. Eight weeks later I am still waiting & have no expectations of ever being contacted.

Palaad Tawaron trades on the spectacular view and offers average food and service. Acceptable possibly to tourists who know no better but not worthy of any real effort to go there if you want a memorable evening or lunch.

Chiang Mia has many better restaurants that these two.

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks ;)

Places to eat and their foods will always get a mixed review depending on a whole bunch of factors (can't please all of the people all of the time, and all that jazz!).

Having said that, the 2 of you who have responded on the above lakeside restaurants are not giving any feedback of outstanding recommendation, so it will be interesting if anyone else pipes in to the contrary.

I've visited both places before they opened for business, just to have a look around. I thought at the time that they would perhaps come into their own better at twilight, or after dark, especially Palaad, which seems to be confirmed by Mania.

I was hoping to see some menus and prices, but it was a bit early when I went sniffing around at 9:00 AM. The only staff visible were cleaners and a few gardeners. Can i assume these restaurants are pricey, or are they okay value for okay food & Service?

I've noticed another restaurant that I've yet to take a look at not far from Huai Kaew waterfall, but it's not lakeside of course. Even so, it looks like it too might have a nice viewpoint for customers. Anyone been there? I can post the name of it tomorrow if anyone is interested?

Food Reviews

There's been a plethora of cheap-eat reviews on this forum over the years, with a few local mid-priced restaurants & pubs thrown in amid the noodle stalls and chicken on a stick joints. But it might be nice to dig out some hidden gems along the outskirts and surrounding countryside for those of us wanting a change from central CM once in a while.

Of course, it's much quicker and cheaper to try out inexpensive grub at markets, street stalls, and food courts etc, but there's probably not so much feedback available on the scenic eating places dotted around the foothills of Chiang Mai. This is why sharing views on some of these charming, costlier establishments, might make this a useful thread for those of us interested ;)

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks ;)

Places to eat and their foods will always get a mixed review depending on a whole bunch of factors (can't please all of the people all of the time, and all that jazz!).

Having said that, the 2 of you who have responded on the above lakeside restaurants are not giving any feedback of outstanding recommendation, so it will be interesting if anyone else pipes in to the contrary.

I've visited both places before they opened for business, just to have a look around. I thought at the time that they would perhaps come into their own better at twilight, or after dark, especially Palaad, which seems to be confirmed by Mania.

I was hoping to see some menus and prices, but it was a bit early when I went sniffing around at 9:00 AM. The only staff visible were cleaners and a few gardeners. Can i assume these restaurants are pricey, or are they okay value for okay food & Service?

I've noticed another restaurant that I've yet to take a look at not far from Huai Kaew waterfall, but it's not lakeside of course. Even so, it looks like it too might have a nice viewpoint for customers. Anyone been there? I can post the name of it tomorrow if anyone is interested?

Food Reviews

There's been a plethora of cheap-eat reviews on this forum over the years, with a few local mid-priced restaurants & pubs thrown in amid the noodle stalls and chicken on a stick joints. But it might be nice to dig out some hidden gems along the outskirts and surrounding countryside for those of us wanting a change from central CM once in a while.

Of course, it's much quicker and cheaper to try out inexpensive grub at markets, street stalls, and food courts etc, but there's probably not so much feedback available on the scenic eating places dotted around the foothills of Chiang Mai. This is why sharing views on some of these charming, costlier establishments, might make this a useful thread for those of us interested ;)

Cheers

Aitch

Huen Huay Kaew is by the waterfall and I have eaten there many times. It has recently been expanded. I find the food quite good, although the service can be a bit slow. It is a good place to get out of the city on a hot day.

Palaad Tawanron is in a lovely location and has stunning views. The food is good and the strolling players are a nice touch. I would not call it pricey for the usual dishes. It gets very busy and you often need to book to guarantee a good table in the evening. I find the staff a bit precious.

I like restaurants where I can get away from the traffic :)

Rgds

Edited by Contractor

The first time there were four of us, each with a different main course ordered. When we had consumed three main courses but were still awaiting the fourth we called a nearby waitress to enquire about the missing meal. She went off into the night & reappeared a while later to tell us that they did not have what we had ordered & that the kitchen was now closed. So we left somewhat unsatisfied & bemused.

The second time we had some European friends from the hospitality industry with us & they wanted to eat where they could see the city on their last night. This time there were eight of us & once again we only received part of our order. As the waiters/waitresses were nowhere to be found I climbed up the steps to locate the person in charge, who was leaning against a wall chatting to staff. When I stated that we were waiting for an order forty minutes after the order was placed I was met with incredulity, but I prevailed & he eventually accepted that we were missing two orders. As we were sick of waiting we paid for what we had received and left.

I returned the next morning to speak to the owner & was informed that the said person was in Pattaya. I requested that I be contacted to discuss my dissatisfaction. Eight weeks later I am still waiting & have no expectations of ever being contacted.

Palaad Tawaron trades on the spectacular view and offers average food and service. Acceptable possibly to tourists who know no better but not worthy of any real effort to go there if you want a memorable evening or lunch.

Chiang Mia has many better restaurants that these two.

You actually made an appointment to complain? that's hilarious...I would not have contacted you either.LOL

I would say that the location and view from the Galae and the Palaad Tawanron are their best features.

I used to go regularly with a group of older expats, to the Galae but the complaints on food quality grew.

Service was good, mind you a Good Tip from the Old Hands certainly helped.

Palaad Tawanron food was OK but not outstanding and service was decent.

john

Had dinner tonight at Palaad Tawanron with a large group, mostly Thai people. The service was excellent; some in the group were catching evening flights and the staff did a great job of quickly serving a huge number of dishes. The food was good, but nothing spectacular. The view of the city was spectacular and the roving musicians a nice change from the blaring music you sometimes find in these sort of places. I wish we could have lingered longer, but had to see the visitors off to the airport. Most of the customers were Thai, but probably not locals. It's a good spot to take visitors or to have a romantic dinner in one of their quiet tables (away from large groups like ours!)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Palaad Tawanron in August, very few farang diners. Cracking views and the food is as good as in any large touristy restaurant. Book before you go so you get one of the tables with the views.

However, for some reason the best views are from the toilets. You get a few strange looks taking your camera into the toilet but there is a smoking area with ledge where you can stand the camera and get great long exposure shots of the city lights.

Every time I've been to Galae they've been missing dishes. Probably best to get there earlier so less chance of them running out.

There's got to be more lakeside places though right.. For example the place they bill as the 'floating restaurant' on the Sankamphaeng Road. Or for a proper lake, there's a nice restaurant at the far end of Huay Manao, Sanpatong District. (or may just be Mae Wang, who knows). Bet there's loads more. If smaller ponds qualify then perhaps the restaurant inside Ban Wang Tan.