"Members Only" Agoda Rates

hyperdimension

Agoda is an online travel agent that is paying commission, meaning the hotel is paying agoda and in turn people who promote them.

Like most of the airlines the best deals are direct with the hotel. Just mention you saw it online and they will cut you a deal to save the booking cost and commission.

@ the OP; I wasn't aware that TV member got special rates at Agoda, think you are mistaking there.

He is not mistaken, I got a global email announcing these special "TV members rates", in fact I got one a couple of weeks ago as well.

Like the OP I noticed that the "TV members rates" were exactly the same as those offered to anyone who logged onto the Agoda main site.

Regarding the observation made by "WilliaminBKK" I have tried his approach a number of times and each time I have been advised to book via the agents site as they couldn't undercut, or even match, the price offered by sites like Agoda even after I pointed out that they wouldn't have to pay the agent any commission and would actually get the money immediately, maybe I was unlucky.

@ the OP; I wasn't aware that TV member got special rates at Agoda, think you are mistaking there.

He is not mistaken, I got a global email announcing these special "TV members rates", in fact I got one a couple of weeks ago as well.

Like the OP I noticed that the "TV members rates" were exactly the same as those offered to anyone who logged onto the Agoda main site.

Regarding the observation made by "WilliaminBKK" I have tried his approach a number of times and each time I have been advised to book via the agents site as they couldn't undercut, or even match, the price offered by sites like Agoda even after I pointed out that they wouldn't have to pay the agent any commission and would actually get the money immediately, maybe I was unlucky.

My mistake, never received such a mail. :jap:

When trying the direct approach , staff of hotels made a lounge PC available to me, or directed me to the nearest internet place and told me what booking site to use which was the cheapest one for that moment. Never have been able to undercut prices at the hotel itself. Out of season is a different matter.

It drives me crazy as well, when the front desk person says book on this website vs direct, the hotel is paying on average $10 for the booking plus all of the commission.

Things are changing, remember when airlines would tell you to book with a travel agent, who then would buy from a consolidator?

Whenever I want to book on one of those so called amazing offer web sites I google XXX affilate programme and then I know there is money on the table, i call direct.

I want to be the hotels guest and customer.

Agoda is an online travel agent that is paying commission, meaning the hotel is paying agoda and in turn people who promote them.

Like most of the airlines the best deals are direct with the hotel. Just mention you saw it online and they will cut you a deal to save the booking cost and commission.

Maybe in some areas, but not on Phuket. Booking a hotel with one of these online booking agencies will yield better rates than a booking directly with the hotel.

Yes totally agree.

I booked into a hotel in Phuket using Agoda. I had booked for 4 nights by mistake as I actually wanted 5 nights. I asked at reception and they told me the price. I told them I could get it cheaper at Agoda and the girl told me she couldn't do it for that price but I was welcome to use their computer to book for the extra night and print the ticket to their reception.

Wonderful service from the girl, but surely this is an issue management should have worked out by now.

Maybe they're cheaper for only certain hotels? How do Agoda verify if it's a TV member browsing the site anyway, e.g. if I were to forward the email onto someone else (who's not a TV member) and they clicked the link, would they see the same rates as I do? If so, what privilege do TV members get that everyone else doesn't get?

Maybe they're cheaper for only certain hotels? How do Agoda verify if it's a TV member browsing the site anyway, e.g. if I were to forward the email onto someone else (who's not a TV member) and they clicked the link, would they see the same rates as I do? If so, what privilege do TV members get that everyone else doesn't get?

None whatsoever !!

Once I had booked a hotel through Agoda and at check-in I asked the girl at the front desk if I could book straight with the hotel at the same rate. The answer was ; NO !!

Later I had a conversation with the assistant manager and lo and behold she agreed that the whole thing was not very logical, but that the instructions from the owner/manager were very clear.

Most of the big hotel chains now offer the cheapest prices on their own websites (Accor - Holiday Inn etc) for their hotels, and I think the others will follow.

What I don't like about sites like Agoda is that you have to be very careful checking if service charge and taxes are included yes or no, and they are not very forthcoming with this info.

Yermanee

They are hyprocrital fraud agency.

Would it be ok if you expanded on that to explain your view? I'm interested as to why you come to that conclusion.

They only deal with sites that are Travel agency or Travel Related sites, that is what they told the Site Director for pro-endeavors who has more visible travel related info there then here. But for this site to get the approval to act as an affliated, when it is not "a travel site or a travel related site" except for a few banners. And both sites are hosted in Singapore.

Someone's scratching someones back.

Likewise, I've always done a better deal with the agents than the hotels direct. I've even booked the first couple of nights through an agency and then asked the hotel to match it, not even undercut, and they can't/won't.

I've also found that hotel websites are more expensive than agencies' sites. That's obviously not everybody's experience.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I use Agoda alot, found them the cheapest & cheaper than hotel listed rates.

If you have an account you collect points and have discounts off your bookings.

Not cheaper for Tune Hotels and some budget Hotels but they say they have a pricing policy

if you find cheaper they will refund the difference. With those book direct with Hotel.

Same for hostelworld.

Maybe it is just me but when I saw ago on here at special member's rates I thought I would book my hotel in Bangkock last time I went. I saw that the rates were the same and as I do not like misleading claims booked on the original site.

Even if it was the same but they had not claimed to be special I would have booked on the TV site to give George the benifit as I would with buying products from pwoplw I knew slightly.

Miscleading or exagerated claims do not work.

I own 2 (small) hotels and I use online agents such as Agoda to sell my rooms. Agoda has a 'lowest price promise' and runs automated software clients that continuously monitor my hotel prices on other online agent web sites and on my own hotel web site. I receive an automated email from this 'agent' to warn me if they find my hotel price at a lower rate than offered to Agoda.

So I cannot undercut the Agoda rate on my web-site, although for 'walk-ins' I can negotiate whatever price I want.

Agoda does provide my airport hotel with the majority of online bookings, so although I have to pay them a rather high commission, the quantity of bookings justifies this.

Interestingly, Agoda also seems to employ a 'loss-leader' policy of selling my rooms at a price lower than what I receive from Agoda! This is fine by me, but does frustrate some of the other online agents who are unable to copy this policy.

Simon

Simon,

My understanding is your website is permitted to offer specials and you wont get that love note from Agoda. If you participate in a Wotif or Expedia sale then you are in deep water with Agoda. I know it is a fine line. As a side note, there are Provinces in Canada that are investigating those 'only offer prices" with us rules the OTA's attempt to enforce.

When you factor in the GDS cost, commission, not owning the client do you still feel it is worth it ?

Cheers,

William

I have found asiarooms.com is often cheaper than Agoda.com and to my surprise cheaper than the The Accor Club for Accor Group Hotels might only be a few 10's Baht in it but when you promise the lowest rate it has to be the lowest not just a statement. You always need to shop around online not just assume a site is always cheaper. I have also negotiated directly with the hotel and undercut the online rate by 100 Baht a night but only after staying a few days and wanting to extend.

I have found asiarooms.com is often cheaper than Agoda.com and to my surprise cheaper than the The Accor Club for Accor Group Hotels might only be a few 10's Baht in it but when you promise the lowest rate it has to be the lowest not just a statement. You always need to shop around online not just assume a site is always cheaper. I have also negotiated directly with the hotel and undercut the online rate by 100 Baht a night but only after staying a few days and wanting to extend.

I agree with your approach "berryw52". I use asiarooms.com, agoda.com and the official hotel websites to book my room. Sometimes the hotel websites have better rates but often the agoda and asiarooms rates are 10% cheaper. I didn't notice my room to be of inferior quality when I booked from agents and not directly from the hotel websites. Maybe I was lucky. It really pays to spend some time and compare the rates from different sites like you said.

Max2010

Often the biggest problem with booking through an agent is that the hotel feels less inclined to give you a decent room. The agent is their customer and you are not. You are just someone who shows up with ticket for a cheap room.

I use Agoda for the majority of my hotel bookings and half the time have received an upgrade to a better room than booked.

Often the biggest problem with booking through an agent is that the hotel feels less inclined to give you a decent room. The agent is their customer and you are not. You are just someone who shows up with ticket for a cheap room.

You are wrong.

Agoda and similar sites have review pages and after your stay you are asked to submit a review, therefore someone booking through a site such as Agoda is more likely to leave a review for the world to see than a walk-in or direct booking customer. A better room often means a better review.

As to the original post, very interesting marketing by Thai Visa. They've signed up as an affiliate and get a small commission for every booking made following a click from the TV website or email flyer. At least I assume it is TV and not an individual. So if you want to help the site cover some costs then use the link if you're going to book with Agoda. But there's no special discounts, as has previously been mentioned.

Another good agent is WOTIF.com, they have a mystery 5 star for B2900 in the Sukhumvit area right now

I booked directly with President Palace Hotel, Soi 11, Sukhumvit over the Christmas Holidays (they were cheaper than Agoda). For 2500 Baht, I got a big Superior room with 2 Queen Size beds, unlimited local beers and cocktails at their pool bar (1130-1730 hrs) and a free airport pick-up. They are located 5 minutes walk from Nana station BTS Skytrain. The hotel is 4-5 Star. the food was OK but you can find Aussie BBQ restaurant, Indian and Middle Eastern (Soi 3 is next street) within a walking distance. Of course, if you are not satisfied, you can hope to Emporium Mall ,2 stations away , to eat and shop better. Those who dig the Go-Go scene, they will find plenty of action at the Nana Square nearby.

Max2010