Beach Rubbish At Layan

Wellington

"Might as well close this now as nothing to discuss. "

The last post in an earlier thread stopped any further debate over what seems to me to be a burning issue .

How can the Phuket authorities allow their workforce to so blatantly desecrate any pristine beaches

Armed with the truck no. plate will someone go to the Governor and show the evidence?

I wonder.

As so many people on this forum remind us ad nauseum that "we are guests in this country", then it follows that the Thais are free to <deleted> it up to their hearts content.

If they can't see the connection between preserving the environment and the desirability of a destination to tourists, then more fool them.

Armed with the truck no. plate will someone go to the Governor and show the evidence?

I wonder.

Why don't you go report it yourself.

I wonder ?

I knew Khun Wichai, but the new man is not known to me so it makes sense for someone who can get his ear;

Doesn't it?

Here is a link to the video in question as reported by a local news source that is referred to by Thai Visa as a forum strangely..

Hard to keep up with the rules.. but I hope this post is not in violation and I think this is an important video to see.

This guy was on Layan beach and saw lots of trash bags. Then he saw the "authorities" dealing with the trash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6G_AFVZsEw

Edited by LivinginKata
utube link substituted

I wonder.

Why don't you go report it yourself.

I wonder ?

Instead of a reply like this ^ why did you not use your time to email a link to the Governor.? Why not did the OP not email a link to the Governor? Why does this happen?

I'm off now to find an email address for the Governor to email a link...wai.gif

Here is a link to the video in question as reported by a local news source that is referred to by Thai Visa as a forum strangely..

Hard to keep up with the rules.. but I hope this post is not in violation and I think this is an important video to see.

This guy was on Layan beach and saw lots of trash bags. Then he saw the "authorities" dealing with the trash.

Haven't read this thoroughly, but do we know this is authorities and not a private company with a contract to keep this area clean?

It's terrible either way, but would be much better if it was just an unscrupulous private company, with staff that wanted to get the job done quickly so they could start their weekend.

In broad daylight I cannot believe it somebody should do something about this. It must be criminal even in Thailand. Makes me think that there is something more sinister in the bags that the landfill would not accept? is there not an outbreak of Distemper on Phuket at the moment? are the Soi Dogs still in large numbers? Makes me feel sick and certainly wont be visiting that Beach. Another very large Nail in the Coffin!

I have now emailed the Governor's office, although I don't know if anyone will take any notice! It would be better if everyone emailed the office with a link to the video and it might stand more of a chance.

Moderators, Am I allowed to post a link to the 'contact us' section of the Phuket Provincial Governor's Office???

Moderators, Am I allowed to post a link to the 'contact us' section of the Phuket Provincial Governor's Office???

No. Read Thaivisa rule 29) Not to lobby members. I'm sure anyone really interested will find the link Ok. Google is your friend.

Can't be <deleted> with rules so here it is .......... only joking. Okay no lobbying blah, blah, blah. But if anyone is actually INTERESTED and find just watching a video and making comments on a forum is amount to doing jack, they can PM me and I'll send details...

TTFN

No. Read Thaivisa rule 29) Not to lobby members. I'm sure anyone really interested will find the link Ok. Google is your friend.

Google is your friend very easy to get the E mail I have sent a link to video to the Governor and also I have sent it to Tourism Thailand, Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth this will now go round the world. Hopefully that will bring the culprits to Justice. Somehow I do not think that he will want Tourism Thailand and of course Greenpeace and FOTE breathing down his neck.I have also sent it to a contact who is very senior in the Thai Royal Navy who I am sure will be very interested.

We have to stand up in what we believe in especially in this case.

Google is your friend very easy to get the E mail I have sent a link to video to the Governor and also I have sent it to Tourism Thailand, Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth this will now go round the world. Hopefully that will bring the culprits to Justice. Somehow I do not think that he will want Tourism Thailand and of course Greenpeace and FOTE breathing down his neck.I have also sent it to a contact who is very senior in the Thai Royal Navy who I am sure will be very interested.

We have to stand up in what we believe in especially in this case.

If anything were to happen (and that's a huge if) it would just be a 'Nothing to do with us, the people involved have been fined/punished' etc etc. and then it will be forgotten in about 30 seconds.

However, I fear it will just be, quite simply, forgotten in about 30 seconds. sad.gif

Admire your efforts though. thumbsup.gif

at the end of the day, most of the thai's couldnt give to hoots about the enviroment or what they are destroying, they simply havent been educated to understand...

to get the thais to listen, or to take action , you have to look at the situation differently

the land they are dumping this rubbish from is the beach.... now the beach and all beaches in phuket are owned by one person ( due to TV rules i wont mention, but i am sure we are all aware whom i am speaking about )

Now with the above, this person is DISRESPECTING the owner of the land by dumping waste and causeing enviromental damage to the area ( which the owner of the land has many charites to combat this behaviour )

so , reading between the lines, email the goverment offices with - Goverment officals disresecpt owner ( name ) Land ....... and just see how quick they are to react

the thais wouldnt see it this way untill someone put it under there noises, and thais being thais in all levels WOULD act under the information provided , due to the nature and owner of the land

well that my 2 cents

There was a story a few years back about someone taking pics of dumping trash behind the Toyota dealership on bypass road. The road that runs parallel to bypass. The pics were sent to the authorities in charge of enforcing tipping lawbreakers.

The result was that the pics did not help, even though it had the license plates of the truck, because THE OFFICIALS HAVE TO PERSONALLY WITNESS THE EVENT to bring any charges. Pics and videos are no good.

Only in Thailand!

There was a story a few years back about someone taking pics of dumping trash behind the Toyota dealership on bypass road. The road that runs parallel to bypass. The pics were sent to the authorities in charge of enforcing tipping lawbreakers.

The result was that the pics did not help, even though it had the license plates of the truck, because THE OFFICIALS HAVE TO PERSONALLY WITNESS THE EVENT to bring any charges. Pics and videos are no good.

Only in Thailand!

I remember that; sickening

But if the Gov. will not act because he only sees a video, you must persuade someone in his office to go to the beach and dig a little to find what is buried.

He must easily be able to trace the owner of the truck from the no. plate and take it from there.

No?

As Thailand are trying to get UNESCO status for Phuket beaches it may be an idea to email them. Jetski and Tuk Tuk rip-off videos would be ideal to send too as they come under the 'Patong Beach' etc.

Also while we are at it, has anybody got any footage of fishermen in the Similan Park? That could be sent too as the government are also trying to get the same status for there, right?

Hit Thailand where it hurts and we all know action will be taken!

Couldn't find a contact address but here's contact page link: (we can post links right?) http://www.unesco-ci.org/knowledgebase/contact.php

Otherwise if the link is removed; Google UNESCO, click on the first result link, click the 'communication and information' link around the top right hand side of the loaded page then head to the bottom of the next loaded page and find the CONTACT link.

your looking at all the very expensive deluxe hotels in phuket laguna near golf course down to bang tao incl pavillions £££ which pretty much overlooks the digging spot ... laguna club , best western , outrigger , amora , palm beach , sunwing , dusit thani , kris , and many more etc in area .

and the building of the immense new shangri la which has foundations laid for a couple of years but stalled is right on top of it .

mai khao turtle sanctuary signs a few miles up the road state the following timelines for the breaking down man mad rubbish , its on their great signs displayed on promenade road :

glass bottles : 1 million years

plastic bags 20-1000 years

aluminium cans 80-100 years

nylon [fishing lines] 30-40 years

cigarette butts 1-5 years

foam packaging/floatation - never breaks down !

img263.imageshack.us/i/maikhao3.jpg

img5.imageshack.us/i/29390069.jpg

So what are the hotels up there? I would be happy to send them a link to the news story or trip advisor (can we say those words here)

thread where the story started ..

mai khao turtle foundation made a reply :

cheers rob

Sawasdee ka Khun Rob,

Thank you very much for your email and Video…

I feel so sad after I saw this video.

I will forward this to Government organization in Phuket that we work with,

National Park, Marine and Coastal Resources Conservation Center,

Natural Resources and Environment office, and try to find out what we could do to stop this…

I also know some hotels around that area. I will try to check who did it.

We can’t let something like this happen in Phuket.

If you have more information or any update situation in that area,

Pls contact me by email or mobile phone.

And if you find they do something like this again.

Pls call me! I will bring some government organization to see this.

Best Regards,

Aim

===========================

Khemwalai Theerasuwanajak (Aim)

Coordinator

Mai Khao Marine Turtle Foundation

Turtle Awareness Center,

Turtle Village, Mai Khao, Thalang, Phuket

Tel/Fax: 076 314 825

Mobile: 086 689 2230

mai khao turtle foundation made a reply :

cheers rob

Sawasdee ka Khun Rob,

Thank you very much for your email and Video…

I feel so sad after I saw this video.

I will forward this to Government organization in Phuket that we work with,

National Park, Marine and Coastal Resources Conservation Center,

Natural Resources and Environment office, and try to find out what we could do to stop this…

I also know some hotels around that area. I will try to check who did it.

We can’t let something like this happen in Phuket.

If you have more information or any update situation in that area,

Pls contact me by email or mobile phone.

And if you find they do something like this again.

Pls call me! I will bring some government organization to see this.

Best Regards,

Aim

===========================

Khemwalai Theerasuwanajak (Aim)

Coordinator

Mai Khao Marine Turtle Foundation

Turtle Awareness Center,

Turtle Village, Mai Khao, Thalang, Phuket

Tel/Fax: 076 314 825

Mobile: 086 689 2230

So this has turned very positive.Great news.

I am so glad that there are still people who really care for our environment

I wonder why Phuketgazette dont have anything about this :(

they will do in about 5 or 6 days, then we will get a Breaking News email regarding this topic.....

Phuket Gazzette are very very slow in reporting, normally 2-3 days behind the PW ..... maybe they need a staff re shuffle