Two Work Permits ?

Does anyone know the legalities of the following:

1) I have a 2 year non immigrant "B" visa with a BOI supported 2 year work permit for my normal 9-5 job.

2) As a sort of hobby I am making a "small" coffee shop at home (I live in a nicely located shophouse) I want to be able to work in the evenings and weekends in my coffee shop.

Question is: how do I do this to stay legal? will my present normal & legal documents allow me to do this on the side? I dont want to make this into a company and make a big deal out of it, I just want to do what the Thais do.

Any advise on the simple way to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Normally it is legal to have two employers, as long as the first employer agrees. But in your case, who is going to be your employer for your coffee shop?

Setting up a business (which must be in majority Thai owned) will probably not be worth the headache that comes with it, besides that you will not get a work permit for tending costumers.

<br />Normally it is legal to have two employers, as long as the first employer agrees. But in your case, who is going to be your employer for your coffee shop? <br /><br />Setting up a business (which must be in majority Thai owned) will probably not be worth the headache that comes with it, besides that you will not get a work permit for tending costumers.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Actually I dont need to serve the cakes and coffee as my Thai son (17yrs) can do that with his girlfriend, but I will be doing things behind the scenes and paying for everything.

Most small shops are not registered businesses they just start selling as individuals and never have problems. I want to make sure I am not raided at my home and ripped off by immigration, I just want to know what the legal safeguards are?

Indeed, most small shops are not registered or anything. But you are a foreigner and require a work permit to work. And for a work permit you need to have an employer, which you cannot be your self. You can work for your wife, if she has two Thai employees (your son and his girlfriend) and pays taxes etc for them.

That might not be very profitable.

Bottom line is "You cannot do it".

Unless you want to lose the good legite job it seems you have already?

Don't know how long you have been around here but these Thai owned businesses get away with it because they are just that......Thai's. Also don't think that they don't pay the local police. Thats what those mail boxes are on every small shop you see mate.

You don't get 2 work permits, what they do is they will take your first work permit and put an "extension" in it to work at the other place. You will need: 1) permission from your employer who's responsible for the first job 2) the coffee shop must be legally setup as a company (not married) or in your wife's name (if married). Depending on the labor dept. involved, they won't require 4 workers or 2 Mil baht capitalization on the company. I did it for myself. They're usually pretty lenient on the 2nd job, if the first is setup well.

You don't get 2 work permits, what they do is they will take your first work permit and put an "extension" in it to work at the other place. You will need: 1) permission from your employer who's responsible for the first job 2) the coffee shop must be legally setup as a company (not married) or in your wife's name (if married). Depending on the labor dept. involved, they won't require 4 workers or 2 Mil baht capitalization on the company. I did it for myself. They're usually pretty lenient on the 2nd job, if the first is setup well.

Thanks, I think your advice sounds like it could work out, I will go and meet with a lawyer regarding this path of action. :jap: