Vientiane On The Darkside?

anothertorres

When you're on your way to The Aqua Demi Bar

don't you judge me! :) heh, but seriously, i've never been to this Aqua Demi jimpjoint, any good? and thank you!

and just to button up this awesome thread-of-the-day, i decided to put gas in the bike and take a ride down (130baht to fill it? inflation is a bitch). so, from Soi Nong Prue, head towards Sukhumvit on NPW. pass Crossroads (you know you know where Crossroads is) and keep straight on NPW. it's a half mile (i dunno, 42 kilometers or something like that, i not speak english good) down on the right side.

food!

Edited by anothertorres

food!

And, so how was the "food" -- good, bad or awful????? Inquiring minds want to know!!

we went and woohoo! it's fantastic. equally as awesome as the location on Pattaya Tai. i know it sounds silly, because surely the last thing we need is another Thai restaurant, but i'm so happy to have a Vientiane so close to the house.

tl;dr - if you like Vientiane, you will like this Vientiane.

food!

And, so how was the "food" -- good, bad or awful????? Inquiring minds want to know!!

we went and woohoo! it's fantastic. equally as awesome as the location on Pattaya Tai. i know it sounds silly, because surely the last thing we need is another Thai restaurant, but i'm so happy to have a Vientiane so close to the house.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll give it a try. I have never been to the Vientiane Rest on Pattaya Tai -- just too many good restaurants on the bright side, and we prefer those with a view of the ocean. The "Dark Side" has seen a minor explosion of restaurants in the last 2+ years, but all swim in total mediocrity (or worse) with a very few exceptions (I have not tried Oscar's yet, but it is on my list). We have gotten to the point where we travel the extra distance to eat in Pattaya (or Naklua or Baan Amphur) or eat at home. So, the possibility of having a good restaurant close gives me some hope.

just arrived back from Vientiene on the site of old fishing park on NumPlabWaan

i would comment thus:

good parking with security

staff welcoming

nice ambiance

excellent service

reasonable prices

very professional

the only drawback was the food wasn't that great

my wife said it tasted like they were still training the cooks

maybe we will try again in a month or two.....

^ OK, that sounds like a plan. To be honest, the first time I ate at Vientiane was at their south-end of WS location quite a few years ago and it was really, really good. Maybe ate 5 or 6 times there. Then they moved to Pattaya Tai and started off good but my wife agrees that our last couple of visits (over 8 months ago), the (sea)food wasn't fresh and some servings had shrunk. It will be interesting to see if the new location gets it right and maintains the quality. We will check it out next month.

^ OK, that sounds like a plan. To be honest, the first time I ate at Vientiane was at their south-end of WS location quite a few years ago and it was really, really good. Maybe ate 5 or 6 times there. Then they moved to Pattaya Tai and started off good but my wife agrees that our last couple of visits (over 8 months ago), the (sea)food wasn't fresh and some servings had shrunk. It will be interesting to see if the new location gets it right and maintains the quality. We will check it out next month.

They moved to the South Pattaya Road location from their old location opposite Soi Post Office.

They used to have both the South Pattaya Road and Walking Street restuarants at the same time.

Have they closed the WS location down now?

food!

Thanks for the heads up. We'll give it a try. I have never been to the Vientiane Rest on Pattaya Tai -- just too many good restaurants on the bright side, and we prefer those with a view of the ocean. The "Dark Side" has seen a minor explosion of restaurants in the last 2+ years, but all swim in total mediocrity (or worse) with a very few exceptions (I have not tried Oscar's yet, but it is on my list). We have gotten to the point where we travel the extra distance to eat in Pattaya (or Naklua or Baan Amphur) or eat at home. So, the possibility of having a good restaurant close gives me some hope.

Dao Cafe, Tocino, Swiss Paradise, Huge Food, Basta Pasta, Courtyard, New Inn, Aqua Dynie, and now Vientiene...it's more like being spoiled for choice on the Farside.

Dao Cafe, Tocino, Swiss Paradise, Huge Food, Basta Pasta, Courtyard, New Inn, Aqua Dynie, and now Vientiene...it's more like being spoiled for choice on the Farside.

Rather, your choices, I think, are spoiled, in some cases badly.

Only a real nutter would drive from the Farside to Baan Amphur for a decent meal.

Only a real nutter would drive from the Farside to Baan Amphur for a decent meal.

using your guidelines i must be a real nutter then

occasionally i drive from Mabrachan to Rayong to go No. 43 Italian Bistro to get revitalise my tastebuds on some real Italian food

i need to, most of the restaurants on the Darkside are utter dross .......

It is a little heavy on seafood with a limited selection of non-seafood dishes. Food excellent, service Thai-style and good value for money (considering that seafood is not cheap anywhere). The Tocino is actually called Ticino; a fantastic website with maps and the works under www.ticino.co.th/en.

And no, nobody has to drive to town for decent food; the dark side is maturing into a culinary treatcool.gif

It is a little heavy on seafood with a limited selection of non-seafood dishes. Food excellent, service Thai-style and good value for money (considering that seafood is not cheap anywhere). The Tocino is actually called Ticino; a fantastic website with maps and the works under www.ticino.co.th/en.

And no, nobody has to drive to town for decent food; the dark side is maturing into a culinary treatcool.gif

Words from a poster with a vivid imagination and moribund taste buds...... The term "the Dark Side" is apropos for the restaurants located there, but hope springs eternal. For the restaurants located on the Dark Side, they are very lucky that so many people will sacrafice quality for convenience.....

• 2 months later...

Words from a poster with a vivid imagination and moribund taste buds...... The term "the Dark Side" is apropos for the restaurants located there, but hope springs eternal. For the restaurants located on the Dark Side, they are very lucky that so many people will sacrafice quality for convenience.....

Aficionados of food definitely dont have to go downtown. Albeit downtown being better for the Cheapies but quality and service, parking and ambiente - all rubbish. And the gourmet temples on the bright side come at a premium (a small Singha at Baht 165 at Casa Pascal cannot be a bargain - ever drank an Illy espresso @ Baht 180++ at Mantra?).clap2.gif