Is It Racist To Not Be Attracted To Certain Racial Groups?

Jingthing

Post #60: You really should write novels. You are wasted here... Re: Fran Lebowitz and on almost the same novel subject (from Wikipedia):

For more than twenty years she has been famous in part for not writing Exterior Signs of Wealth, a long-overdue novel purportedly about rich people who want to be artists, and artists who want to be rich.

Or as the voluble Ms. Lebowitz has herself stated: Words are easy; books are not. ... but note that she is represented in her writing and speaking engagement endeavors by the William Morris agency.

http://www.wma.com/fran_lebowitz/summary/

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the others who have said that just because you have preferences for a certain type of partner, that doesn't make you racist, as long as you are not nasty towards the races that you don't prefer. Living here, it's obvious that many western men prefer Asian women. I've never once considered those guys to be "racist." Similarly, I am not really attracted to most East Asian men (especially Thai) at all. I don't consider myself a racist - it's just my preference. If I met an amazing Thai man who possessed all of the qualities I was looking for in a man, sure, I'd consider dating him. I wouldn't automatically discount him because he's Thai, but I probably wouldn't ever start pursuing a Thai man because I probably wouldn't feel that instant attraction. As a Caucasian, I'm also not attracted to the blue eyes, blond hair kind of guy. I would much rather date a Hispanic, black, west Asian, or Arab-looking man. Just like most people, I like what I like, and I think that's ok. I'm not going to go around bashing and degrading Thai and Scandinavian-looking men just because I'm not attracted to them.....that might be racist. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, JT. But then you're using that word "racist" that brings up all sorts of confusion, as well as negative connotations. To simplify, I think it's more the "reasons" why you'd be attracted to certain racial groups. If your "reason" for being attracted to Thai women is simply because you prefer that Thai look vs. other physical features, nothing wrong with that. But if you say your reason is that your women back home are just bloody awful (fill in the blank with how awful) and that Thai women are somehow not like that, then you're being dishonest, and perhaps somewhat "racist."

Another example: If you don't like rap music because it just doesn't appeal to you from a musical standpoint, that's fine. But if you say you hate rap music because you hate black people, well, that's a whole another matter.

By the way, I know several gay farangs living in Thailand and never thought to ask the question. Why do gay farang men in Thailand prefer Thai men vs. farang men from back home? Just curious.

By the way, I know several gay farangs living in Thailand and never thought to ask the question. Why do gay farang men in Thailand prefer Thai men vs. farang men from back home? Just curious.

Many are so called rice queens and many are not. This is Thailand, so Thais are available. In my view most of the gay expats in Thailand would be similarly enthusiastic about Mexican men if they were living in Puerto Vallarta, or Brazilian men if they lived in Sao Paolo. I reckon most gay expats here are NOT exclusive rice queens. Maybe someone should do a poll.

I suppose the point is that we all have 'features' that we find attractive.

But the question is - is that preference inate, or is it steered by racist prejudice?

I don;t find curly hair attractive. Is that racist?

I don't want a lady who is looking for a smoked sausage supper; is that racist?

SC