Falang, 2Nd Class Citizens?

fredtitmus

Foreign residents in Thailand seem to have amazing double standards.

Many feel entitled to make sweeping generalisations about the whole nation, based on the Thai people that they come into contact with on a daily basis, some of whom may not be very friendly or particularly intelligent. This is something you could do in any country however, including the one you grew up in. It is understandable of course, but not reasonable or logical.

This error is compounded by the fact that a lot of Westerners find themselves mixing with the worst class of people that Thailand has to offer - a function of their own behaviour and status in my opinion. To infer from their experiences that all Thai people must be the same as the ones they know is a mistake.

At the same time, they expect Thai people to ignore the fact that the majority of foreign visitors behave like uncouth pigs, and believe they should worship the mighty Westerner who is selflessly contributing to the Thai economy.

When it comes down to it though, somebody who spends their life worrying about how they are perceived and whether or not they are respected is a little sad in my opinion.

The poster who commented about the way that some Westerners dress affecting the way they are treated has a valid point though. To try and belittle him by suggesting he should be concentrating on studying all the females instead is a facile and diversionary argument and misses the point. I think what he was trying to say is that many foreigners who whine about the lack of respect they receive from Thai people look like something the cat dragged in and would command no respect wherever they lived. Not a case of 1st class or 2nd class with these people; no class would be more accurate.

Edited by inthepink

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many feel entitled to make sweeping generalisations about the whole nation, based on the Thai people that they come into contact with on a daily basis, some of whom may not be very friendly or particularly intelligent. This is something you could do in any country however, including the one you grew up in. It is understandable of course, but not reasonable or logical.

This error is compounded by the fact that a lot of Westerners find themselves mixing with the worst class of people that Thailand has to offer - a function of their own behaviour and status in my opinion. To infer from their experiences that all Thai people must be the same as the ones they know is a mistake.

At the same time, they expect Thai people to ignore the fact that the majority of foreign visitors behave like uncouth pigs, and believe they should worship the mighty Westerner who is selflessly contributing to the Thai economy.

When it comes down to it though, somebody who spends their life worrying about how they are perceived and whether or not they are respected is a little sad in my opinion.

The poster who commented about the way that some Westerners dress affecting the way they are treated has a valid point though. To try and belittle him by suggesting he should be concentrating on studying all the females instead is a facile and diversionary argument and misses the point. I think what he was trying to say is that many foreigners who whine about the lack of respect they receive from Thai people look like something the cat dragged in and would command no respect wherever they lived. Not a case of 1st class or 2nd class with these people; no class would be more accurate.

Hear, hear . . . just what I was going to say, but was too lazy to type :)

Bring it on flamers! lol

Bring it on flamers! lol

+1

Pink has it spot on. Perfectly written piece.

I've mentioned sub-cultures before. Well, the sub-culture many Western men ignorantly (or more kindly, unwittingly) marry into to is directly comparable to the low classes in their own countries, the 'whole families dependent on welfare as lifetime career options' sub-class, pervasive in countries like the UK.

Judging the cultural traits of an entire population based on this defies logic. You wouldn't judge the whole of the UK based on one feral 'chav' family.

Same goes for the elites. We have them in the UK/US. Thailand has them. They are the robber baron class.

Bring it on flamers! lol

+1

I've mentioned sub-cultures before. Well, the sub-culture many Western men ignorantly (or more kindly, unwittingly) marry into to is directly comparable to the low classes in their own countries, the 'whole families dependent on welfare as lifetime career options' sub-class, pervasive in countries like the UK.

Judging the cultural traits of an entire population based on this defies logic. You wouldn't judge the whole of the UK based on one feral 'chav' family.

Same goes for the elites. We have them in the UK/US. Thailand has them. They are the robber baron class.

You have some very good points but I am not sure you are that well researched. "The whole families on welfare" are not directly comparable with "the Thai sub culture they marry into" It is much more than a matter of class in Thailand, it is an ingrained response. It is where you stand in the hierarchy and not any perceived class.

A very good post but "same goes for the elites" is way off. Dangerous for me to go into it but I met a member of the elite and was god smacked at the reactions of other Thais. It's not class, it's a fearful (in western eyes) feudal response

( I'm using the Thai definition of elite. So my apologies for any Thais that think being hi so is the same)

Edited by caf

Bring it on flamers! lol

+1

You have some very good points but I am not sure you are that well researched. "The whole families on welfare" are not directly comparable with "the Thai sub culture they marry into" It is much more than a matter of class in Thailand, it is an ingrained response. It is where you stand in the hierarchy and not any perceived class.

A very good post but "same goes for the elites" is way off. Dangerous for me to go into it but I met a member of the elite and was god smacked at the reactions of other Thais. It's not class, it's a fearful (in western eyes) feudal response

( I'm using the Thai definition of elite. So my apologies for any Thais that think being hi so is the same)

I'm not sure the West is that much different. Perhaps the masses are more ignorant of their position in what is a hierarchy and the governments willingness to use force to protect the elite that control them. They are ignorant of their own feudal circumstances.

What I was getting at was there are sub-cultures in this country that are bone idle and will live off handouts, same as our own, yet Westerners ignorant of the language and culture here fail to recognize them as they would, immediately, back home.

Yup. It's like if someone went to Las Vegas and married a hooker, then moved in to her the trailer park filled with meth addicts that her family lives in, and based their perception of America on that experience.

Yup. It's like if someone went to Las Vegas and married a hooker, then moved in to her the trailer park filled with meth addicts that her family lives in, and based their perception of America on that experience.

Succinctly summarized.

in my experience it is the selective PC types who get all up in arms about the word 'farang' as if it some dastardly linguistic connotation designed to insult. Further evidence for 'conspiracy theorists' who are convinced that Thailand has it in for all whities (sorry those of European extraction).

some people (like me) who have been exposed to different cultures and not moved from Boise, Idaho or Little Rock, Arkansas to Pattaya are completely lost when they hear "Mummy, Mummy... these racist Thais called me again a Farang".

i am a foreigner when not in my home country. period! calling me a foreigner when in another country is nothing but the truth. period! that's why in India and Pakistan i am called a "Ferangi", in an arab country a "Franjee" in Iran and Afghanistan a "Ferang" and in Thailand a "Farang". notwithstanding the fact that inspite of being a German, people insisted that i was "English" in three different west african countries. perhaps the reason why i am not offended being called a foreigner is that i don't have any inferiority complexes because i am a foreigner.

:jap:

p.s. i prefer being called a "foreigner" instead of being labelled "alien"... even though Klingons are aliens on planet Earth :lol:

If you look through Thai eye's

This is what 99% of all falangs does not understand

We complain about how Thai people do things,

We throw money around and take there women,

These above things are key to understand, but most of us are totally unaware of.

A lot of us would get pissed off, If in our country, there was all of a sudden a group of people, lets call them "Falingos", that were spread out in our home country.

There were a few things that they all had in common.

1. Even the poor falingo had a salary ten times better than the poor average man in your own country.

2. Most of these falingos was walking around, with a girl from your own country.

3. Most of these falingos looked down on your own people, and complained ALOT about your country.

Of course there would be some people in your own country that would not really like the falingos. In fact, i am sometimes amazed, how much we can get away with, without getting our ass kicked.

Edited by ayayay

At first I felt sorry for the Mr mak mak but even a blind man would notice the difference. Smell and touch still being available to the blind. It must be a very severe handicap. Poor fella. It is a wonder he can type.

Or...........maybe his preferences and personal opinions are just different than yours. People are allowed to have preferences. Shocker, I know. ;)

Miss Universe contest. There accepted standards of beauty that have to do with symmetry, shape and other universally accepted criteria.

There are women in any culture who at 16 years of age know they will never have to work a day in their lives.

They know that men of all ages will fall all over themselves just to gain a glance or touch or smile.

If one is a world traveler he has figured this out.

Thailand is what it is and has always been what it is because of its women.

If aliens with six legs and arms came down from outer-space they would take back with them, one Chicago style pizza and 20 Thai women. The only really great things that earth really has to offer.

speaking of which, anyone tried this pizza style, home made, always a challenge.

grille/broil pizza inc toppings in pre-heated iron skillet first few minutes, then, set skillet on gas hob to char bottom. worth a try, who knows .. .

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html

I have 12 years of living and working in Thailand.

Might I ask us all to separate the people of Thailand we meet from the obvious unfairness of the government laws.

Thai people are very very fair and just in dealing with Farangs. Sure, you will run into a jerk sometimes but not likely less often than you would in a city back in your home nation.

There is a class system here. The Australians and Yanks are not used to that because they do not have that in their own nations. But most nations do have that and so we see the boys from The UK being well aware of how to deal with it. That does not mean they like it but they do not fight it either.

My experience in life has taught me that home has a huge advantage for all of us should we choose to use it. When I live in the city where I was born, everyone treats me with a bit more respect than I get treated outside that area. So the Thais are NO different that way.

Where I worked in Thailand we found the turnover for Farang to be HUGE! Most people who come here leave after one or two years. In fact, more than half leave before one year is up. The disadvantage here are huge unless you happen to be in a unique spot. The pay is low. The language takes years to learn like any language. You cannot vote. You cannot own land. if you have children here, they will be Thai of course so you must go home if you want them to be your own nationality.

Will a farang be voted in as Governor of Bangkok like Arnold was voted in as Governor of California? NO

Will a Woman run the Parliament as Thatcher did in THE UK? NO

BUT--Idiots will not get your nation into wars every few years here either.

If you are a high tech worker, it is easier to work in other nations.

If you want to get rich, go to other nations.

If you like beautiful mountains and land, go go go.

However, if you love it in Thailand and stay out of trouble, you can live a good life.

The Thai people in the government will help you find ways to stay that are without needed money in the bank or a job.

THERE are laws in Thai immigration that help those who Thais want to help you know.

Good luck and Peace

We are not citizens at all.

There you go, we are not 2nd class, 3rd class, etc. we are not citizens of Thailand period. We are visitors only, even if we have been here for 20 years, we're still visitors. We can go back to our home countries anytime we want. They are already there. Saying that, I think we should keep it in mind that we are visitors and act accordingly.

I consider myself a Thai dweller, I can come and go as I please.

Now , My Thai Friend wishing to have the same freedom of International Travel that I have is totally out of luck, I was born in UK so I'm very free to move around the world with little hassle, my friend from Thailand experiences the total opposite, hurdles at every junction. his Thai Passport was a huge barrier.

I really can't understand all the fuss about what the Thais think of the Farangs amongst them,so we are considered lower than second class citizens,so what,they are misguided,and I dont lose any sleep over their extreme Nationalism,either.

Given the choice How many Expats would swap Places,Circumstances, and Lifestyle with the average Thai? I suspect not too many.

Although Tv has a regular Thread that pops up from time to time, which has a large following,judging by hits achieved,concerning obtaining Thai Citizenship.

Well if some Expats desire Thai Citizenship,then all I can say is go for it, for me it would be a futile exercise, and not a worthwhile achievement in the slightest,...IMO

Yes I know, two of the small benefits of Thai Citizenship are: no more Visa's,and the right to buy land in Thailand. As for being a better class of person,they will never be classed as Thai,or accepted as a true Thai.

So hardly worth the Effort and Disloyalty to your own Country and Birthright ,is it?

Edited by MAJIC

Thailand is ethnocentric. Not as bad as Japan or Korea but still ethnocentric. Most foreigners come here wearing their culture like a turtle wears a shell some even come from other countries like Australia and the US to impose their values on Thai society in a legal sense and arrest Thais for violating Australian and American laws. NGO's and do gooder governments just can't seem to leave Thailand alone. Thailand deported hundreds of Hmong people back to Laos because they remembered when the Hmong were responsible for heroin smuggling and production. The US and all the other Western nations including the UN went ballistic. Thailand didn't care. The same with the recent refugees sent out to sea to die. There is good and bad in the country. It would be nice to only talk about the good and accept the good and somehow change the Thais to eliminate the bad and to conform to western culture.

Even rich educated Thais believe in ghosts and make offerings to inanimate objects. Is it silly? It is part of Thailand. If you are sick in a government hospital the Thai person will be treated before the Falang given equal sickness. In some cases, if you make it on the inside of a Thai family or government institution you will be treated better than Thai people and given a god like status.

For example if you learn how to dance Thai dances and do so at a country concert you will be treated like a rock star. If you do something out of character, like being honest in a business transaction the Thai person will never forget.

The ethnocentrism works both ways. Thais don't expect loyalty or heroism from non Thais. If you show Thai people loyalty and or heroism they will grant you a larger status than a Thai person.

The door swings both ways. It is very difficult for most western people to understand the nuances of Thai culture when they conflict with long held western belief systems.

Very well put mate..about sums it all up..definitely one of the best posts on the subject I have read...thanks..

loved the bit about dancing...lol happened to me at a scout camp...scoutmaster gave up his "armchair" to me at the "official plastic table" ....maybe I was an entertaining oddity ...but it was fun....

I recently had a conversation with a 30-ish Thai woman -- Chula graduate, Chartered Accountant/CPA and impeccable spoken English... She asked me 'So what is it you actually do in Thailand?' and I told her.

She said, 'That is very surprising.' I said 'Why is that? Because persons such as yourself think all Westerners are here solely to chase young Thai women and drink beer?'

Her answer: 'YES.'

So for most of us, there is nowhere to go but UP.

I recently had a conversation with a 30-ish Thai woman -- Chula graduate, Chartered Accountant/CPA and impeccable spoken English... She asked me 'So what is it you actually do in Thailand?' and I told her.

She said, 'That is very surprising.' I said 'Why is that? Because persons such as yourself think all Westerners are here solely to chase young Thai women and drink beer?'

Best school in the country and she still held the same ignorant stereotype? That says a lot. About the education system in Thailand.

Because persons such as yourself think all Westerners are here solely to chase young Thai women and drink beer?'

Best school in the country and she still held the same ignorant stereotype? That says a lot. About the education system in Thailand.

Best school indeed. She was not far off. :whistling:

Got nothing to do with the education system - what do you think, there is a subject "What farang's do when in Thailand 101"?

As others have said, contrary to what the conspiracy theorists believe, most Thai's don't give two hoots about what the average (usually very average) Joe Farang gets up to.

The exposure they do have to it from all the rather obvious places.

in my experience it is the selective PC types who get all up in arms about the word 'farang' as if it some dastardly linguistic connotation designed to insult. Further evidence for 'conspiracy theorists' who are convinced that Thailand has it in for all whities (sorry those of European extraction).

some people (like me) who have been exposed to different cultures and not moved from Boise, Idaho or Little Rock, Arkansas to Pattaya are completely lost when they hear "Mummy, Mummy... these racist Thais called me again a Farang".

i am a foreigner when not in my home country. period! calling me a foreigner when in another country is nothing but the truth. period! that's why in India and Pakistan i am called a "Ferangi", in an arab country a "Franjee" in Iran and Afghanistan a "Ferang" and in Thailand a "Farang". notwithstanding the fact that inspite of being a German, people insisted that i was "English" in three different west african countries. perhaps the reason why i am not offended being called a foreigner is that i don't have any inferiority complexes because i am a foreigner.

p.s. i prefer being called a "foreigner" instead of being labelled "alien"... even though Klingons are aliens on planet Earth :lol:

But the problem I have is that the word doesn't mean foreigner, it means white foreigner

And they have a different word to describe foreigners who are black or any other shade of skin colour.

If they called every foreigner by the same name it wouldn't be racist and most of us would no longer care.

But the problem I have is that the word doesn't mean foreigner, it means white foreigner

And they have a different word to describe foreigners who are black or any other shade of skin colour.

If they called every foreigner by the same name it wouldn't be racist and most of us would no longer care.

oh, boo hoo. What is your point - that you are somehow held down and repressed by this term?

In Australia/NZ and the N.America the term 'Asian' generally is used to refer someone with olive and yellow skin. Have you never used the word 'Asian' before? In Britain, it is generally used to describe someone from the subcontinent.

Ditto with African. Or are we going to go all PC there too? Should white South Africans get all worked up, how about those of Indian extraction.

Farang has become shorthand for someone of European extraction. So what? It isn't a term that is used in a derogatory manner most of the time.

If you are going to be consistent, write us a list of all the terms you'd rather not use where you can parse the meaning and perceived insult to the nth degree.

Edited by samran

Most people judge others based on their personal qualities. If you are worthy of respect than you will be respected, it you act like an idiot than... Thai's are no different from any other human.

Yes there are folks who look for differences that can be used to put another person beneath themselves but those are insecure people and they demonstrating their insecurity everytime they do it. Someone just the other day said "Thais are lazy" I'm not going to be the PC police but I wanted to ask if he knew every single Thai? All of the Thai's that I know personaly are far more hard working than any of my American friends. Just look at the waist size of most Americans and judge who's lazy.

My experence living in Thailand is that I am treated like royality by my TW's family and with respect by my Thai friends. My wife, who has lived in the US and has US citizenship agrees that people are the same everywhere in roughly the same proportions. If you lie down with dogs you will wake up with fleas.

When you meet successful, happy Thai's you will see that they got that way the same way you or I might get that way, by judging others on their individual merits.

As for being a second class citizen, I fit into the same social standing as in the US in terms of education and income. I have the exact same rights and opportunities as I do in the US so what does it matter?

Well said, Trisailor. I couldn't agree more.

And, in reply to MrsMills... What you said is SO true.

Now , My Thai Friend wishing to have the same freedom of International Travel that I have is totally out of luck, I was born in UK so I'm very free to move around the world with little hassle, my friend from Thailand experiences the total opposite, hurdles at every junction. his Thai Passport was a huge barrier.

I have several Thai friends who would love to come to Canada for a visit, but can't do so because the paranoid Canadian authorities have set such high standards that any working class Thai can't visit Canada on a holiday. I've offered to pay the plane fare and provide accommodation for my friends and a personal guarantee of their returning to Thailand, but they can't get a permit to visit unless they own million baht properties in Thailand. Even then it is difficult. And, I'm not talking about young women, although I could include them in the group. I'm talking about male fishing friends with limited resources.

As a British Commonwealth citizen (Canadian, but it applies to Kiwis and Aussies as well) I can travel anywhere in the world with no complications. And, I don't even have to show any sign of financial wealth. All I need is a passport and an airline ticket.. Americans can do the same... even the scummiest, drunken, low life carpet baggers with not a pot to piss in can visit Thailand with just a passport and a plane ticket.

I have several Thai friends who would love to come to Canada for a visit, but can't do so because the paranoid Canadian authorities have set such high standards that any working class Thai can't visit Canada on a holiday. I've offered to pay the plane fare and provide accommodation for my friends and a personal guarantee of their returning to Thailand, but they can't get a permit to visit unless they own million baht properties in Thailand. Even then it is difficult. And, I'm not talking about young women, although I could include them in the group. I'm talking about male fishing friends with limited resources.

As a British Commonwealth citizen (Canadian, but it applies to Kiwis and Aussies as well) I can travel anywhere in the world with no complications. And, I don't even have to show any sign of financial wealth. All I need is a passport and an airline ticket.. Americans can do the same... even the scummiest, drunken, low life carpet baggers with not a pot to piss in can visit Thailand with just a passport and a plane ticket.

It's true, I have seen them here :lol:

Been to Dubai lately Ian?

Been to Dubai lately Ian?

No, and I have no intention of EVER visiting a place built for the wealthy, and most often on the backs of under paid foreign worker who very often are not paid at all.

Sounds like Las Vegas.

Anyways my point was they (UAE) just imposed a visa fee of 1,000 Dollars on CDN's because of some row over landing rights in Canada for Emirates and Etihad.

To start things right the word is not falang, are you Thai where you can not use your tongue to pronounce FARANG !!:annoyed:

Have you EVER heard a Thai say the word FARANG? No I didn't think so. If you are going to say a Thai word (and this IS a Thai word), it only makes sense that you pronounce it properly in Thai, in which case FARANG would be more properly spelled FALUNG, to more closely match the proper pronunciation. Just like you would never hear a Thai say THONGLOR; Thais say TONGLAW. This is just a case of foreigners improperly translating Thai into their own tongue.

The English have been notorious for mispronouncing and mistranslating foreign words for centuries. When did the Chinese change the name Peking to Beijing, or the Indians change Bombay to Mumbai, or the Portuguese change Lisbon to Lisboa? The Answer is NEVER, these were always the correct names going back centuries, it's only now that these incorrect pronunciations and spellings are being corrected.

My Thai teacher taught me to say farang with an R and she was horrified that any farang should ever pronounce it falang. Falang is the hick pronunciation, don't delude yourself. If you want to speak bargirl Thai, go ahead, you baa falang!

Edited by Jingthing