Renew 5 Years Driving License

Felt 35

Thanks again!

What does the immigration want for the proof of address notification? Last time I used the income certification from my Embassy where my address is stated, but I mean to have seen they no demand a letter from the landlord. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

What does the immigration want for the proof of address notification? Last time I used the income certification from my Embassy where my address is stated, but I mean to have seen they no demand a letter from the landlord. Is that correct?

Think it's called Residency Certificate. Usually need to show your house rental contract and letter from landlord/copy house paper.

Thanks again!

Think it's called Residency Certificate. Usually need to show your house rental contract and letter from landlord/copy house paper.

Certificate of Residency. I got one a few weeks ago using only my rental agreement. 300 Baht. It takes about 5 minutes. See the people at the front counter at Immigration.

Front counter, officer left side handles this and 300 baht/no reciept

Actually it's free. Had no problem when the back office issued, but these days it's the officers on the front desk that usually demand 500 baht. Last time I pointed out there is no charge and the officer agreed. God knows what future trouble I will incur.

Actually it's free. Had no problem when the back office issued, but these days it's the officers on the front desk that usually demand 500 baht. Last time I pointed out there is no charge and the officer agreed. God knows what future trouble I will incur.

:( Something never change....must be 4-5 years ago last time I went there and mean to remember a couple of woman issue this document in a shack outside the main immigration, think they charged hundred Baht!

I've got a one year licence coming up for renewal. I'm aware of what paperwork I need, but, I am unsure of when to go to the Land Transport Office to renew.

A check of previous threads show some posters saying you have to renew before the expiry date and some posters saying you have to wait for the licence to expire and then you can renew, which doesn't make sense, but, TIT.

If anyone has renewed their licence lately, can you tell me when you renewed, in relation to the expiry date?

I've got a one year licence coming up for renewal. I'm aware of what paperwork I need, but, I am unsure of when to go to the Land Transport Office to renew.

A check of previous threads show some posters saying you have to renew before the expiry date and some posters saying you have to wait for the licence to expire and then you can renew, which doesn't make sense, but, TIT.

If anyone has renewed their licence lately, can you tell me when you renewed, in relation to the expiry date?

I waited until the day after my licence expired. You will be issued a 5 year licence, linked to your birthday, ie expires on your next birthday + 5 years later.

I waited until the day after my licence expired. You will be issued a 5 year licence, linked to your birthday, ie expires on your next birthday + 5 years later.

Exactly what I did last time so get nearly 6 years.

I thought the new rules were so you now could renew your driving license up to 3 months before it expires.

I leave for Europe 10 days from now and wanted to renew my driving license before I leave because return is end of May and my driving license expires mid May.

I`m sure I have seen something about this, maybe it was in the motor forum!

I thought the new rules were so you now could renew your driving license up to 3 months before it expires.

I leave for Europe 10 days from now and wanted to renew my driving license before I leave because return is end of May and my driving license expires mid May.

I have renewed later than one month after expiry but that was then & this is now & as you may well be aware all government agencies change the way they do things at any time.

1 year license was previously impossible to renew before expired. Now it can be renewed while still valid, and your new 5 year will be valid for 5 year pluss the time to your birthday, IOW expire on your birthday +5 years from renewal.

5 years I do not recall the time frame, but would assume 3 months before expire should work fine

I Found this tread about the same subject

It says some have done it 60 days before it expire.

Anyway, I come to think about something which maybe will make me have to start on scratch again! I got new passport a couple of months ago so the passport number on my current driving license is not valid. Anyone who knows what the procedure is when wants to renew a driving license and the passport number differ from the one on the soon to be expired license!

I Found this tread about the same subject

Anyway, I come to think about something which maybe will make me have to start on scratch again! I got new passport a couple of months ago so the passport number on my current driving license is not valid. Anyone who knows what the procedure is when wants to renew a driving license and the passport number differ from the one on the soon to be expired license!

There are too many variables for anyone to answer accurately & besides what was good before may not be good now. I feel it would be much simpler for you to go the centre & ask. That way you can be assured you will only need to go one more time. Make sure you ask what time you have to be there in order to complete all the formalities as will most likely have to sit through the video presentation along with various tests.

I Found this tread about the same subject http://www.thaivisa....rivers-license/

I always keep copy of my old passports, as everything here in LOS is reg on passportnumber, like bankaccounts, vehicles, driverslicenses. I know some have had problem transfer vehicle as they cant provide copy of Passport with number matching passportnumber in reg book.

If your permit to stay is transfered from old passport to new passport, old passportnumber is in Immigration stamp for permit to stay in new passport

I always keep copy of my old passports, as everything here in LOS is reg on passportnumber, like bankaccounts, vehicles, driverslicenses. I know some have had problem transfer vehicle as they cant provide copy of Passport with number matching passportnumber in reg book.

If your permit to stay is transfered from old passport to new passport, old passportnumber is in Immigration stamp for permit to stay in new passport

I have my old passport here so hope that will do. Haven’t been to the transport office jet, but got me a medical certificate and the letter from immigration today. Trying to figure out what time on day I shall go to renew the license. Previous I would automatically have gone in the morning but my wife have recently been there and updated registration for a couple of motorbikes and got the impression that the whole place was more quiet in the late afternoon!

I have my old passport here so hope that will do. Haven't been to the transport office jet, but got me a medical certificate and the letter from immigration today. Trying to figure out what time on day I shall go to renew the license. Previous I would automatically have gone in the morning but my wife have recently been there and updated registration for a couple of motorbikes and got the impression that the whole place was more quiet in the late afternoon!

0930-1130 most applicants are busy testing theory or riding skills, so should be good time to make a simple renew

Report from renewal of 5 years car and motorcycle license at the transport office in Phuket today.

The woman at the information counter at first rejected to renew two licenses which is still valid for nearly 3 months and in Thai/English said “could expire one year”

I`m far from fluent in Thai and got a bit confused there. Can be the 5 year license can expire with nearly a year or it was here who had a bad day! I did not take my change on that one and show here my ticket out next week and with a return late May and repeated a few times that I even may have to stay longer time abroad and she finally gave in and after the movie I got my new licenses and they let me even keep the old ones!

What I would recommend:

First, come no later than 0900 Am. You will have to take an eye test and watch an hour long movie.

Documents she wanted for me was copy passport (photo page and page with Visa and latest entry; prove of address from immigration and your old driving license. She pushed back the medical certificate! 2 copies of each document for each license.

I paid 555, - for the renewal of the car license and 305, - for the renewal of motorbike license all with a receipt.

220, - for the photo session and processing of the certificate also with receipt for the 200, - No receipt for the 20, - but with a handsum when I walked out it was worth it. :rolleyes:

Only five of us in the TV room so unless someone jumped the TV show, not busy regarding 5 year renewal. I don`t know the situation regarding expiration day on the licenses to the other foreigners in there.

Report from renewal of 5 years car and motorcycle license at the transport office in Phuket today.

The woman at the information counter at first rejected to renew two licenses which is still valid for nearly 3 months and in Thai/English said “could expire one year”

I`m far from fluent in Thai and got a bit confused there. Can be the 5 year license can expire with nearly a year or it was here who had a bad day! I did not take my change on that one and show here my ticket out next week and with a return late May and repeated a few times that I even may have to stay longer time abroad and she finally gave in and after the movie I got my new licenses and they let me even keep the old ones!

What I would recommend:

First, come no later than 0900 Am. You will have to take an eye test and watch an hour long movie.

Documents she wanted for me was copy passport (photo page and page with Visa and latest entry; prove of address from immigration and your old driving license. She pushed back the medical certificate! 2 copies of each document for each license.

I paid 555, - for the renewal of the car license and 305, - for the renewal of motorbike license all with a receipt.

220, - for the photo session and processing of the certificate also with receipt for the 200, - No receipt for the 20, - but with a handsum when I walked out it was worth it. :rolleyes:

Only five of us in the TV room so unless someone jumped the TV show, not busy regarding 5 year renewal. I don`t know the situation regarding expiration day on the licenses to the other foreigners in there.

Thanks for the info. Did the eye test include the colour test as well?