90-Day Reporting By Mail - Pattaya?

SurfRider

According to an article in the Pattaya Times newspaper, a new process for 90-day address reporting by mail has been approved by the new Chief of Chonburi Immigration ( see instructions below )

Has anyone tried this? It appears to have one major omission - how they get the slip back to you that needs to be affixed to the back cover of your passport, telling you when to when next to report.

The new, approved alternative process for 90-day report of stay, TM. 47is as follows:

1). Download the TM. 47 Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days at http://pattaya-times...ng-form-by-mail or use a form obtained from any Thailand Immigration office.

2). Complete the form in block print letters making sure it is easy to read and sign it on the "Signature" line. No photo necessary, but copy your passport photo page and the passport page with the most recent entry stamp.

3). Put the form and passport copies in a regular business envelope

4). Simply affix a 5 baht Thailand Post Office stamp onto the envelope and mail it before your 90-day reporting is due.

5). Mail it to: Chonburi Immigration, 74/265 Moo 12, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260.

http://pattaya-times...ing-by-mail#191

I think the correct procedure would be like this:

1). Fill in the TM-47 form, download it or get it from an immigration office

2). Copy your passport photo page and the passport pages with your visa and permission to stay stamps and a copy of your arrival card.

3). Attach a self addressed envelope with a 5 baht stamp affixed to it

4). Put the form and the copies and self addressed envelope in a regular business envelope,

5). Mail it by registered mail to

Chonburi Immigration,

74/265 Moo 12,

Nongprue, Banglamung

Chonburi 20260

Edit:

Send it from 7 days before your reporting date is due.

The article reads as blatant advertisement of Drew Noyes and his company.

How will you prove you send the form? Immigration will surely, sooner or later, ask for proof, and you don't have any!

I have just contacted Immigration to clarify the new procedure which they confirm can be done, however there was no clarification how they will return the slip of paper to you to confirm your next due date for the 90 day reporting. I guess this could be easily solved by enclosing a stamped self-addressed envelope.

At the British Honorary Consulate, I will be recommending to anyone who asks that, for now, people should continue to report in person. Desk number 3 at the Immigration Office is normally the quietest of all of them and from personal experience I am normally in and out within minutes.

A good idea, but needs clarification of the entire procedure before it can be promoted, in my opinion.

Howard Miller

British Honorary Consul

The slip for registered mail proves you send it. A self addressed envelope with 5 baht stamp on it will get it mailed back to you.

Reason I posted a slightly different version from the article

The same procedure is used in Bangkok:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to 90 DAYS REGISTRATION,
    IMMIGRATION DIVISION 1
    120 MOO 3, CHAENGWATTANA ROAD,SOI 7,
    LAKSI, BANGKOK. 10210

Actually a slip for registered mail only proves you sent a letter to Immigration. Immigration could always claim the envelope was empty or that the form was incorrectly filled out. No, the way things are organized here I wouldn't trust such as system. Better to be safe and go to the office and have the slip countersigned immediately, that way there are no doubts.

The slip for registered mail proves you send it. A self addressed envelope with 5 baht stamp on it will get it mailed back to you.

Reason I posted a slightly different version from the article

The same procedure is used in Bangkok:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to 90 DAYS REGISTRATION,
    IMMIGRATION DIVISION 1
    120 MOO 3, CHAENGWATTANA ROAD,SOI 7,
    LAKSI, BANGKOK. 10210

This may work in Bangkok but the system has yet to be proven here in Pattaya yet. For that reason I will not be recommending the service to anyone yet, even though it appears to be a great idea and a good start from the new Immigration Chief here in Pattaya.

I received this comment from Drew Noyes:

I have set a meeting with the new Immigration Chief this afternoon for clarification of assurance the TM 47 forms will be processed without fail and establish the need for a return confirmation if requested by the applicant.

Please post this to ThaiVisa and tell Phil Connors I said the article is proof the new Chief is service oriented and very interested to help us all, problem usually is people complain, but few do anything to improve the system.

I will update you on my findings. Drew

"How about getting rid of the rule instead? ... just doesn't make any sense."

Following on that theme, why not get rid of the requirement to do visa runs every 30 or 90 days for people who are saddled with that burden?

What's the difference between a Thai Immigration office in Pattaya and one on the Cambodian border? - other than a few hundred kilometers and one day of your life wasted bouncing between pot-holes in an old van with no shock-absorbers.

Immigration could capture a HUGE amount of revenue by simply charging visa-runners 2500 Baht to do the ritual in Pattaya, as opposed to Cambodia.

How about getting rid of the rule instead? Having to go every 3 months just to confirm the address is still the same just doesn't make any sense.

Have to agree. Here in Phuket they don't even want the TM47 completing - they just sign and re stamp the old one. No record is made of your visit, so what's the point. Bureaucratic nonsense!

"How about getting rid of the rule instead? ... just doesn't make any sense."

Following on that theme, why not get rid of the requirement to do visa runs every 30 or 90 days for people who are saddled with that burden?

What's the difference between a Thai Immigration office in Pattaya and one on the Cambodian border? - other than a few hundred kilometers and one day of your life wasted bouncing between pot-holes in an old van with no shock-absorbers.

Immigration could capture a HUGE amount of revenue by simply charging visa-runners 2500 Baht to do the ritual in Pattaya, as opposed to Cambodia.

The point of the visa run is to leave the country. How can you do that in Pattaya? :rolleyes:

"The point of the visa run is to leave the country. How can you do that in Pattaya?"

True, but the real point is that the requirement to leave the country for 15 minutes and waste one day of your life is pointless!

Have you heard of any other south-eastern Asia country that has such a requirement?

When I lived in the Philippines, you renewed your visa every six months by taking it to a travel agency of your choice - they batched them and a courier took them to Immigration and secured the stamp.

Total cost, US$15 and they would deliver the passport to your residence for an additional $2.

I lived and had a business there and never even knew where the Immigration office was located.

"The point of the visa run is to leave the country. How can you do that in Pattaya?"

True, but the real point is that the requirement to leave the country for 15 minutes and waste one day of your life is pointless!

Have you heard of any other south-eastern Asia country that has such a requirement?

When I lived in the Philippines, you renewed your visa every six months by taking it to a travel agency of your choice - they batched them and a courier took them to Immigration and secured the stamp.

Total cost, US$15 and they would deliver the passport to your residence for an additional $2.

I lived and had a business there and never even knew where the Immigration office was located.

But the Philippines 'get-around' is illegal. No matter where you live in the world, you need to leave occasionally if you're not resident.

"But the Philippines 'get-around' is illegal. No matter where you live in the world, you need to leave occasionally if you're not resident"

Check your incorrect facts and assumptions. I have a friend there who has had a business since 1985 and used the 6 month renewal option for years.

He only switched to a two year validity plastic credit-card type of visa when it became available and has one of his employees renew it every two years.

"But the Philippines 'get-around' is illegal. No matter where you live in the world, you need to leave occasionally if you're not resident"

Check your incorrect facts and assumptions. I have a friend there who has had a business since 1985 and used the 6 month renewal option for years.

He only switched to a two year validity plastic credit-card type of visa when it became available and has one of his employees renew it every two years.

So your friend is cheating the system to renew is visa every two years :lol:

"So your friend is cheating the system to renew is visa every two years"

It seems that no matter how many ways things are explained to you, you still don't understand.

There's no cheating - it's a legal 2 year visa that any Expat can get.

But, this thread isn't about Philippine visas, so why don't you consider hanging it up?

Here are the amended rules for 90-day reporting by mail at Pattaya / Chonburi Immigration and a link to more detailed information from the meeting with Drew Noyes and the new Immigration Chief.

The reporting must be mailed at least 7 days prior to the reporting date

1). Download the TM. 47 Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days at http://pattaya-times...ng-form-by-mail or use a form obtained from any Thailand Immigration office.

2). Complete the form in block print letters making sure it is easy to read and sign it on the "Signature" line.

3). No photo necessary, but copy your passport photo pages (usually two pages including signature) and the passport page with the most recent entry stamp and the white Departure Card TM 6 immigration stapled in your passport on your last arrival.

4). Foreigners must provide proof of residence IF YOU APPLY IN PERSON OR BY MAIL. The same rules apply whether mailed of submitted in person, so this is important for all foreigners on one-year visas.

If you stay at a guest house, hotel or apartment you only need to provide a business card of the name of the guest house, hotel or apartment

If you stay in a house, townhouse or condominium you can provide any ONE of the following as evidence of your address:

· Letter from owner of the house stating you live there

· A copy of the house book of wife if living in house with wife's name in it.

· A copy of the house book of your Thai relative living with you. The house, condo, shop house or townhouse can be owned by someone else or a Thai company. The only requirement is the name of your Thai wife; husband or dependent child is in the book.

· Any bill or bank statement that shows you receive mail at the address. Examples are electric bill, cable TV bill, telephone bill, internet service provider bill, or receipt from landlord.

· Also, savings account or investment account statements can also be used to verify address.

· A copy of the lease for your residence with your name listed as a tenant.

5). Put the completed form the "Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days" (TM.47), passport copies, proof of address and stamped, envelope with your address on it in a regular business envelope

6). Simply affix a Thailand Post Office stamp onto the envelope and mail it 7 days before your 90-day reporting is due.

7). Mail it to: Chonburi Immigration, 74/265 Moo 12, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260.

Police Colonel Chusak says it is not necessary to send the letter by registered mail, EMS, FedEx. DHL, UPS or by other courier. Just mail it by the Thai Post Office.

Make sure you include a self-addressed stamped envelope in the envelope you mail to Immigration so the bottom portion of the TM. 47 forms can be returned. The "Receipt of Notification" can be mailed back to you so you know when to report again and also know your report has been field by immigration.

If you have a new visa and/or never submitted a "Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days" then just submit a copy passport first photo page, copy of current visa and a copy of white Departure Card TM 6. If you have submitted a "Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days" then send the notice "Receipt of Notification" stapled in your passport with the new application and proof of your address.

In the return, stamped envelope you provided to Immigration with a stamp on it you will receive back the "Receipt of Notification" from the bottom of the new form you completed and mailed to Immigration. You will also receive a new, blank form to use the next 90-day reporting.

If you move to a different area where foreigners report to a different Immigration, then simply get the address of the new Immigration office and mail the same documents and form in the same manner to them.

http://pattaya-times...il-or-in-person

I read an article in the Pattaya Times that clearly stated you do not need to report every 90 days if you have a 'yellow book' (house registration for foreigners).

I spent a few days getting a yellow book and took it to Pattaya Immigration. The Immigration officer told me I still need to report every 90 days - but now I need to take a copy of the yellow book with me each time.:(

In everything I've read and heard from Expats over the past 6 years, every Farang is required to report their current address every 90 days -- no exceptions. - no matter the color of whatever book you have. This requirement appears to be universal throughout Thailand.

If you have such an article from Pattaya Times or any other source, you should post the source here so they can be held accountable if they published incorrect information.

It *DOES* appear that the new Immigration Chief has imposed more stringent rules than have been required in the recent past-- in that he will require proof of address for 90-day reporting.

This was done in the past, a couple of years ago, but eventually went the way of many other minor changes to regulations in the past and was no longer enforced. This falls into the category of requiring a copy of both sides of a valid current credit card which also went out the window after only a few months of enforcement.

after many years of dealing with bureaucracy here, i will be continuing to turn up to report

i for one like to know its been done properly and in person

visiting immigration is not a hardship anymore

its a few minutes out of a day if you pitch it right

Howards right in that the 90 day desk is the quietest and quickest in there

we are supposed to be retired so what does a few minutes matter.......

@SurfRider - I was doing my 90 days recently and was not asked for any proof of address.

@timekeeper - Not everybody are here on a retirement visa. Granted, 90 days is a quick in-and-out but living near the lake like yourself it's still a long drive into Immigration and back just for that.

@SurfRider - I was doing my 90 days recently and was not asked for any proof of address.

@timekeeper - Not everybody are here on a retirement visa. Granted, 90 days is a quick in-and-out but living near the lake like yourself it's still a long drive into Immigration and back just for that.

do you have to report for 90 days for anything else?

is it not only retirees that have to report every 90 days?

however, yes you are correct its a bit of a drive but i think its better to see it actually done in front of me rather than rely on the vagaries of the post office and immigration officers who will likely get to processing it when they can

that way i have peace of mind in 5 minutes not be worrying for 5-7, days, months or even years to see if it was delivered/dealt with.

granted i am a belt and braces kind of guy but its an attitude that has served me well here..........

do you have to report for 90 days for anything else?

is it not only retirees that have to report every 90 days?

however, yes you are correct its a bit of a drive but i think its better to see it actually done in front of me rather than rely on the vagaries of the post office and immigration officers who will likely get to processing it when they can

that way i have peace of mind in 5 minutes not be worrying for 5-7, days, months or even years to see if it was delivered/dealt with.

granted i am a belt and braces kind of guy but its an attitude that has served me well here..........

We married lads have to report every 90 days too, but it's no hardship, even the annual extension is simple and swiftly handled by the team at Jomtien, a far easier job these days than it ever was in soi 8 !!!!!!

"you are correct its a bit of a drive but i think its better to see it actually done in front of me rather than rely on the vagaries of the post office and immigration officers"

No doubt about that-- but what about people who are physically handicapped or live way out in the hinterlands, where a journey into the "big city" is a hassle?

The silly requirement to report an address that never changes every 90 days could easily be done on-line. About 4 years ago, Immigration announced that this service would soon be offered and there was even coverage on TV of computers that were donated to Pattaya Immigration for this purpose. Like many other "good ideas" here, it never happened and probably never will.

"you are correct its a bit of a drive but i think its better to see it actually done in front of me rather than rely on the vagaries of the post office and immigration officers"

No doubt about that-- but what about people who are physically handicapped or live way out in the hinterlands, where a journey into the "big city" is a hassle?

The silly requirement to report an address that never changes every 90 days could easily be done on-line. About 4 years ago, Immigration announced that this service would soon be offered and there was even coverage on TV of computers that were donated to Pattaya Immigration for this purpose. Like many other "good ideas" here, it never happened and probably never will.

Surfrider, you are correct, it was remiss of me not to consider handicapped folks, sorry

i agree, for them, this could be a genuinely helpful upgrade to the system

i hope it can be made to work