Need Onward Ticket For Tourist Visa, Kl Embassy?

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur this week to do a visa run, to get a tourist visa after a year on a non-O from Hull. Do the Thai embassy there require proof of a ticket out of Thailand within those 60 days or not? I've searched this forum and the Internet but can't find a definitive answer (I saw one person report they weren't asked but this was a while ago at the time of the red-shirt troubles). Has anyone been recently?

(And, if they insist, is the embassy in an area with an Internet cafe where I can book a cheap one. What's the best option? A cheap one-way AirAsia ticket or is there a good refundable option somewhere?)

Any help here, I'll be grateful. Never done a visa run to KL, have done them in Penang, Saigon, Phnom Penh, Hong Kong, Singapore and they're all different. Saigon was especially weird because they insisted on seeing a ticket out of Vietnam (not Thailand, Vietnam!)

I'm English, have just the non-O in my passport, no tourist visas.

Hi Euro82,

I guess I'll find out tomorrow as nobody has answered.

I'll report back .. really. (I'm sick of seeing so many posters asking a question, not getting an answer, saying they'll report back what happened .. but not doing it!)

Luckily my hotel's near the embassy should I have to go back for something. But even then, I'm not sure what to do. Waste money on a cheap AirAsia ticket? I've heard some guys say 'fake a booking number/reservation' in Word. I wonder if they ever check it.

Thank you Bibblies, your report will be very much appreciated :) Good luck!

Hi Euro82,

I'll report back .. really. (I'm sick of seeing so many posters asking a question, not getting an answer, saying they'll report back what happened .. but not doing it!)

Luckily my hotel's near the embassy should I have to go back for something. But even then, I'm not sure what to do. Waste money on a cheap AirAsia ticket? I've heard some guys say 'fake a booking number/reservation' in Word. I wonder if they ever check it.

about the fake resrvation... I dont know, Im pretty sure it would work but I wouldnt dare to do it...

Hi Euro82,

I had Tourist Visas from KL twice in 2010 - both times I had a flight confirmed out for 90 days later (to apply for next visa!, always on the lookout for Air Asia discount flights well in advance) so handed over a copy with my application - they didn't give it back either time so presumed it was required. Note I used a ticket for 90 days on basis I can get 30 day extension on TV.

Last week in Penang did the same but got the air ticket back as 'not required'.

So I cannot give you a definitive answer - what applied July/Oct last year may be different this week. The two times I've been I've found the KL place good to deal with.

One note: first time I went, old to come back next day 2.30pm to collect, got there to find they'd been open earlier for collection, so in October went just after 2 and sure enough the doors were open for passport collection. May have just been lucky, but worth asking them esp if you are flying out that evening.

And note two: we saw quite a 'scene' in October, a visa applicant minus required documents, shouting at he lady behind the counter, asking if they had heard of the United Nations (never understood that part) . . . last seen being walked off by security. Not entertaining, I think everyone there was very embarrassed at his 'performance'.

Enjoy your trip to KL.

Thanks for the report, genghis61. Strange that they kept your 90 day ticket proof. Strictly speaking, a 30 day extension isn't guaranteed, is it? So if they want to be strict, they should surely be looking at a ticket within 60 days.

Anyway, reporting back...

I didn't need to show an outward ticket. I handed them just the form, my passport and a photo and they didn't ask for more. Back tomorrow 2.30pm to collect.

I find it strange that any country would ever want to see an outward/return ticket when I think about it. After all, if you're planning to go to that country to work forever, you could just buy any cheap ticket out and never use it, just staying in the country forever. And if you ever tried to go out, they could catch the overstay at passport control.

thanks Bibbies and genghis61!

Dont forget to report tomorrow what was the outcome :)

Thanks for the report, genghis61. Strange that they kept your 90 day ticket proof. Strictly speaking, a 30 day extension isn't guaranteed, is it? So if they want to be strict, they should surely be looking at a ticket within 60 days.

I didn't need to show an outward ticket. I handed them just the form, my passport and a photo and they didn't ask for more. Back tomorrow 2.30pm to collect.

I find it strange that any country would ever want to see an outward/return ticket when I think about it. After all, if you're planning to go to that country to work forever, you could just buy any cheap ticket out and never use it, just staying in the country forever. And if you ever tried to go out, they could catch the overstay at passport control.

Your line: " Strange that they kept your 90 day ticket proof "

That is where could be the risk to be caught "red handed" they could check confirmation fromairline.....!!:ermm:

I am flying to KL on the 8th of march from Philippines and then flying into Thailand on the 11th. I have a return ticket back to London from Philippines dated June 1st.

Hopefully this will be good enough to get a TV.

hi,

most probably you will not need a onward ticket. the last years i had applied in KL for TV more than a few times and i never had to show anything (just passport, pictures, application). 3 weeks ago I was in kota bharu for a TV and they gave me a problem. i managed to get one because i had a very recent thai-hospital bill and i said, that i must go back for treatment and checkup immediately and i dont know how long i have to stay. so, they gave me at the end a TV. but i would never go again to kota bharu for a TV.

I am flying to KL on the 8th of march from Philippines and then flying into Thailand on the 11th. I have a return ticket back to London from Philippines dated June 1st.

hi,

most probably you will not need a onward ticket. the last years i had applied in KL for TV more than a few times and i never had to show anything (just passport, pictures, application). 3 weeks ago I was in kota bharu for a TV and they gave me a problem. i managed to get one because i had a very recent thai-hospital bill and i said, that i must go back for treatment and checkup immediately and i dont know how long i have to stay. so, they gave me at the end a TV. but i would never go again to kota bharu for a TV.

Thanks for that, I will also report back once I've finished applying for my TV.

hi,

Thanks for that, I will also report back once I've finished applying for my TV.

it is everyware they use more strict rules , even in my home consulate , before for ED visa no income , now 30000 bath , no problem for that but it means they are closing gaps more and more , before multiple visa no problem at my consulate , now travel plan & tickets .

So i think whe should learn to live with it :ermm:

It should be 20,000 baht and that is for any non immigrant visa. Often not asked but always required.

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

I know you are right , even checked it on Thai embassy from my country , i think they can not follow the changes anymore , the proof of income is not problem as i have more , just want to point out that they never ask before and now so inquisitive.

Even they say it is illegal to use the crossing border system for the 14 days stay( "severe measures risking "their words )

, seems they are not aware that rule X days in X period is abolished ! or i emailed with a newcomer on the consulate.:whistling:

No problems i am now preparing just a 1 year multiple entry Non Immigr O. as pensioner the consulate way 1250 € income needed , Holland (on website)an Belgium consulates seems same amount , and allowed mixed income to proof .

If you apply early enough for a TV , you will have time enough to get an onward ticket if they require to see one.

It is a gamble every time if they will ask for a ticket onward or not ask.

Your Ticket from the PI on June 1 is interesting, but what plans or arrangements do you have to travel out of Thailand.

You could always purchase a open ticket or specific date out of Thailand to the PI (if that is your routiing etc) if you don't already have some type of onward ticket.

If you apply early enough for a TV , you will have time enough to get an onward ticket if they require to see one.

It is a gamble every time if they will ask for a ticket onward or not ask.

Your Ticket from the PI on June 1 is interesting, but what plans or arrangements do you have to travel out of Thailand.

You could always purchase a open ticket or specific date out of Thailand to the PI (if that is your routiing etc) if you don't already have some type of onward ticket.

I was going to apply on the 9th and I'm hoping that I will get my visa the next day. I have a vague plan to get out of thailand at the moment, I want to either travel overland to Singapore or fly there, then fly to Philippines the next day.

I just had a look at the thai embassy website.

Holiday/ Vacation purpose

1. Visa application form duly filled out.

2. Applicant’s passport valid not less than 6 months. Copy of passport.

3. (4 x 6 cm.) 3 Photograph(s) of the applicant, taken within the past 6 months.

4. Original letter indicating reason and duration of visit.

v Letter from the company certified by authorized director and affixed by the seal of the company, form 49 of the company (For applicant holding employment, professional and dependent pass) or

v Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. (For applicant holding student pass) or

v Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card certified the true copy. (For applicant who married to a local).

5. Original and copy of return flight ticket to Thailand.

NOTE

**Company’s documents shall be certified by authorized director with the seal of the company**

**Upon application time make sure you do not have any valid Thai visa on your passport**

CONSULAR OFFICERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REQUEST ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS FROM VISA APPLICANTS AS DEEMED NECESSARY

Visa Fee

Single Entry: RM 110

Consular Hours

Visa Application: 09.30 -11.30am

Visa Collection 14.30-16.00pm (on the next working day)

Open on Monday to Friday. Close on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays

For further enquiry, please contact: 603-2143 2127, 2413 2107 and 2143 2125

Remarks:

*Applicant must apply in person* and must have all required documents ready for submission. Only properly completed application forms will be accepted.

I thought the visa was free and what's all this about a letter? :blink:

Christ, another fairly simple request not really answered simply on this forum.

The answer is no they do not request an onward ticket. I last went 2 months ago and a friend who went 2 weeks previous. Unless things have changed in 2 weeks, that is your answer.

Why do Expats on here quote Embassy messages, official info over complicate things and talk about stuff that is not relevant. If we all thought that official info and Embassy info was 100% then we wouldnt ask questions. If you don't know or haven't had the experience then don't comment. We all know that those official notices and information don't mean anything. The best info when it comes to Visa info in Thailand is always and will always be recent real experience.

So what if its free because its temporary who free for any other reason, bottom line is its free at the moment and thats all someone cares about at the moment. Just useless complication.

Lopburi, you can see he is British (visa from Hull) so why mention home nations, just more complication. Highly, highly unlikely a Malaysian national is reading this.

Edited by probert

Because it explains the post above mentioning a letter requirement would not apply to him or other third country nationals.

That he had a visa from Hull does not make him British; but he clearly stated he was in OP.

I've only skim-read this thread, but here's my 2c:

I'm an Australian national and I went to KL to renew a tourist visa. They granted me a 60 day tourist visa without proof of an onward journey. That was about a month ago.

Be aware that KL process tourist visas over 2 business days (unlike Penang which does them the same day), which can make a big difference when you factor in weekends and public holidays (like Mohammed's B'Day which I had no clue about until it occurred).

Also note the pickup and collection times - 11am-12.30pm or so for drop offs and 2-4pm for pickups from memory.

Good luck.

I've only skim-read this thread, but here's my 2c:

I'm an Australian national and I went to KL to renew a tourist visa. They granted me a 60 day tourist visa without proof of an onward journey. That was about a month ago.

Be aware that KL process tourist visas over 2 business days (unlike Penang which does them the same day), which can make a big difference when you factor in weekends and public holidays (like Mohammed's B'Day which I had no clue about until it occurred).

Also note the pickup and collection times - 11am-12.30pm or so for drop offs and 2-4pm for pickups from memory.

Good luck.

Wish there was a like button on here. Thats the kind of answer that people need. Direct, relevant, recent and free of jargon.

Edited by probert