Age Of Thaivisa People In Chiang Mai

alexpoker

Whats your age?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alex,

I'm sorry to guess that many of us locals might think that contributing to this poll might involve a gamble of some sort. Your being new in the community might be a factor too.

Still, the information you seek is easy to obtain, and probably with more accurate results. Might easily be more fun as well.

As pointed out above, a similar poll was taken not long ago. In general, using the search function can be profitable.

There is an expat club in town that meets the last Saturday of the month. Just stopping by and studying the membership at 10:25 or so (don't have to join necessarily) should give you an idea.

Demographics are difficult to trust, though, unless one does a fair sampling. You don't need to purchase anything to see a group of regulars gathered around at Mad Dog, for example. This is on the west side of the eastern moat, southerly on Moon Muang, and an easy inspection in that it is open to the road. If you visit toward evening, you could nearly complete your research by wandering east on our Loi Kroh Road, not far on the other side of the moat.

Churches, of course, will not escape your survey, and then you should have collected a better understanding than you are likely to do here, just now.

Best of luck,

Alex,

I'm sorry to guess that many of us locals might think that contributing to this poll might involve a gamble of some sort. Your being new in the community might be a factor too.

Still, the information you seek is easy to obtain, and probably with more accurate results. Might easily be more fun as well.

As pointed out above, a similar poll was taken not long ago. In general, using the search function can be profitable.

There is an expat club in town that meets the last Saturday of the month. Just stopping by and studying the membership at 10:25 or so (don't have to join necessarily) should give you an idea.

Demographics are difficult to trust, though, unless one does a fair sampling. You don't need to purchase anything to see a group of regulars gathered around at Mad Dog, for example. This is on the west side of the eastern moat, southerly on Moon Muang, and an easy inspection in that it is open to the road. If you visit toward evening, you could nearly complete your research by wandering east on our Loi Kroh Road, not far on the other side of the moat.

Churches, of course, will not escape your survey, and then you should have collected a better understanding than you are likely to do here, just now.

Best of luck,

Hmmmm........ Been here for 3+ yrs and never been to the expat club meetings or to Mad Dog.... So I guess my age would not balance the poll quite evenly if Alex were to take your approach.

If this thread did one thing it re-opened the topic of a month ago... Thanks Mestizo.

One and twenty

When I was one and twenty, I heard a wise man say

Give pounds and crowns and guineas, but not your heart away.

Give pearls away and rubies, but keep you fancy free

When I was one and twenty, no use to talk to me.

When I was one and twenty, I heard him say again

The heart from out of the bosom is never given in vain

Tis paid with sighs a plenty, and sold for endless rue

Now I am two and twenty and oh tis true, tis true.

A. E. Houseman.

dingdong,

Just trying to give the fellow a useful idea. Perhaps he'd get to count you in church, or on Loi Kroh. All I was suggesting anyway, was to use the search function and look at farang hot spots - just random locations - in order to build an impression that might be superior to the low number of responses to his survey.

Or, perhaps I don't understand. Certainly, as you've not been to them, you're not suggesting that two of the institutions I suggested might not be representative of Thai Visa Chiang Mai's average (or median) age?

In my very wide experience of travel I believe it doesn't really matter what age a person is. Some people are interesting and others aren't. Some folks have dried up minds and bodies in their twenties while others are still very much alive well into their eighties. A poll only gives you a generalization. Common sense would tell you that most foreign expats in Thailand would be well past middle age (40 to 60). There just aren't that many jobs available for young foreigners. And, even that doesn't mean a thing. Most of us just don't have TIME for many good friends. We might have a lot of acquainteaces, but only a few friends that we can spend any appreciable time with. I find just 3 or 4 good friends are all I need.

And, if you are married, then your friends are cut even further.

The strange thing is I actually in many ways agree with Ian (whom I respect personally, yet often disagree with!)

There is a large disconnect in Thais after finishing school. They rarely form lasting intense friendships past that point in life.

I have 6 close friends (one of which is my partner in life) that should I need anything: from a million baht ___ that would never be asked for; to a shoulder to cry on _____ that has been asked for several times just this week after we lost so many nurses in Christchurch! who would not ask a question and just come to my aid ... as I would them.

Sawasdee Khup, Khun Alex,

A similar poll was done here on this forum last year. But, we voted, on this poll, even though you did not have a category for chimeric beings whose virtual age would be the sum of their component beings' ages. We regard our virtual age as 147, the sum of the current human meat-package's biological age plus the age, at physical death, of the Orangutan whose soul/mind fused with ours, rendering us a twosome forevermore, until the human's meat-death do us part.

We can say we believe strongly that everyone who voted last year is, biologically, older now, but we would also say that a poll here on TV CM is most probably not a "reliable" (in the statistical sense of that word) source in terms of making any broader estimation of the total Chiang Mai expat population (that topic has been discussed at length in a recent topic here on this forum).

And may we note, as Bob Dylan rhapsodized:

"Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats

Too noble to neglect

Deceived me into thinking

I had something to protect

Good and bad, I define these terms

Quite clear, no doubt, somehow

... chorus ...

Ah, but I was so much older then

Iā€™m younger than that now"

There is no doubt that Bob Dylan, during his secret trip into the depths of the almost impenetrable Borneo forests, guided by native shamans, when wracked by dengue fever, feverish, and near-death, received direct spiritual transmission of the truths of the great Orang teacher, Ur Orang, praise be unto his name. Such truths self-evident in the quote above from one of Dylan's greatest masterpieces, "My Back Pages."

best, ~o:37;