Laptop Virus

oldgent

Eset which is the company that does the Nod 32 anti virus has a very good on line scanner that is free. Go to their website and run the scanner and see what it can do for you first. Thai computer shops tend to just wipe your HDD and reinstall the OS as a quick fix.

How do you know you have a virus ?

There are also some free anti virus software available on line as well.

Good luck

Sawasdee Khrup, OldGent,

Suggestions:

1. repost this query on the main ThaiVisa forum for computers: you'll have a wider audience for possible responses.

2. post more details: there's viruses, there's malware, there's trojans, there's rootkits. describe what's going wrong in using the computer right now, what AV, firewall, anti-malware protection you have installed now. describe what AV software you have now and have recently "run" ... that detects anything ... reports.

3. consider going on-line, and allowing Emsisoft to do an on-line scan : Emsisoft

ioho Emsisoft will find more "false positives" than almost any other AV software, but it also, in our experience, can get at, and kill, rootkit hacks, which are the most difficult form of malware to evict.

4. immediately back up all your data, text, graphic files, e-mail, everything important to you to external storage. worst case is you will have to reformat the drive and re-install the OS. Got your original OS install for an Acer Aspire on hand ? Hope you do, because some of the Acer laptops in that series do some complex stuff with partitioning the hard drive so that you can use the computer as a media player without booting into the OS.

5. Contact Acer Chiang Mai out on Huay Kaew to investigate whether they can get you a special OS install package for your model, if required. Our experience with going directly to Acer here in Chiang Mai is that they are quite useless for anything out of warranty, but, hopefully, your mileage may vary, and perhaps your notebook is in warranty (?).

And, of course, hope you do, get some recommendation of some local resource who can help you, but in our experience many local farangs posing as computer experts don't have a clue when it comes down to something as "evil" as a rootkit hack. And we don't pose as one of those, either: we just had good luck using Emsisoft which we ended actually buying.

good luck, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, OldGent,

Suggestions:

1. repost this query on the main ThaiVisa forum for computers: you'll have a wider audience for possible responses.

2. post more details: there's viruses, there's malware, there's trojans, there's rootkits. describe what's going wrong in using the computer right now, what AV, firewall, anti-malware protection you have installed now. describe what AV software you have now and have recently "run" ... that detects anything ... reports.

3. consider going on-line, and allowing Emsisoft to do an on-line scan : Emsisoft

ioho Emsisoft will find more "false positives" than almost any other AV software, but it also, in our experience, can get at, and kill, rootkit hacks, which are the most difficult form of malware to evict.

4. immediately back up all your data, text, graphic files, e-mail, everything important to you to external storage. worst case is you will have to reformat the drive and re-install the OS. Got your original OS install for an Acer Aspire on hand ? Hope you do, because some of the Acer laptops in that series do some complex stuff with partitioning the hard drive so that you can use the computer as a media player without booting into the OS.

5. Contact Acer Chiang Mai out on Huay Kaew to investigate whether they can get you a special OS install package for your model, if required. Our experience with going directly to Acer here in Chiang Mai is that they are quite useless for anything out of warranty, but, hopefully, your mileage may vary, and perhaps your notebook is in warranty (?).

And, of course, hope you do, get some recommendation of some local resource who can help you, but in our experience many local farangs posing as computer experts don't have a clue when it comes down to something as "evil" as a rootkit hack. And we don't pose as one of those, either: we just had good luck using Emsisoft which we ended actually buying.

good luck, ~o:37;

thanks guys I got my lady to take it to a little computer guy in Lamphun he fixed the virus but she could not tell me what kind of virus it was. 200 baht it cost but once you get them they keep coming back . I will keep the advice you gave me. thanks again

thanks guys I got my lady to take it to a little computer guy in Lamphun he fixed the virus but she could not tell me what kind of virus it was. 200 baht it cost but once you get them they keep coming back . I will keep the advice you gave me. thanks again

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun OldGent,

Glad to hear you are "out of the woods," but may we suggest you still go to the Emsisoft site, run the free on-line scan (it may take a long time), just for your "peace of mind."

We use a combination of MSSE (free, from Microsoft) as our main AV protection, with the free version of Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner. The first incarnation of Microsoft's AV program (which we paid for in the US) was a dog, and we were actually one of the few mortals who actually ended up getting a full refund of what they paid for it (we had friends inside MS raising hell for us, is why). However, the current incarnation of MSSE, now maybe three years "ripe," is excellent, and gets rave reviews from professional Windows programmers on some technical forums this old soi orang's human component is still minor-key active on.

Other people will, of course, swear by Avast, Kaspersky, or (gasp), even Norton. In any case, ioho, MSSE free is world-class, and Malwarebytes updates their "bad stuff" database with an amazing frequency, and sometimes catches something that MSSE misses. Just this Sunday completely un-installed a Norton paid legit "suite" from a friend's computer, cleaned his registry, de-fragmented his hard-drive, and then installed MSSE, and MalwareBytes: his computer now boots faster, hard drive has about 4 more gigs available on it, and he no longer receives constant obnoxious irrelevant prompts from Norton popping up from the system tray every other minute (and nope, we ain't advertising here, we only did this for a close friend).

We should probably expect a flame shortly, from a Norton "true believer" :) ioho Norton is a bloated pile of junk.

We use Emsisoft only when we "sense" that something's gone really weird, but since we are not using Torrent, and not downloading a bunch of dangerous hacked stuff, and use all the browsers we test on with maximum security settings, that's very, very seldom.

best, ~o:37;

You may want to try downloading an MS release, KB890830 v3.16, whilst not a full blown anti-virus program it is an excellent tool for detecting and eliminating a limited number of the harder to fix viruses, including NOD32 and conficker.AH, it's worked very well for me recently. As for Norton, have to agree that it is seriously lacking, AVIRA however works well in my experience.

No virus scanner will offer 100% protection, windows malicious software removal tool certainly not. It is not a virus scanner and certainly not up to date with monthly updates.

Use a anti-virus program and combine that with once in a while a free online scan from another company.

thanks to all but the number 1 spot goes to orang 37 you are good . got the little lady to download EMSISOFT. and then scan for virus it picked up 8 all Trojan i think Trojan-downloader.win.32.banload ik if that makes sense to you. not sure what the computer guy done but he didnt detect all the viruses. many thanks mate

You may want to try downloading an MS release, KB890830 v3.16, whilst not a full blown anti-virus program it is an excellent tool for detecting and eliminating a limited number of the harder to fix viruses, including NOD32 and conficker.AH, it's worked very well for me recently. As for Norton, have to agree that it is seriously lacking, AVIRA however works well in my experience.

hi chiang mai AVIRA is the one that is installed on the laptop

hi chiang mai AVIRA is the one that is installed on the laptop

I had become somewhat lax about my PC security over the years until a couple of weeks ago two things happened, the first was that I picked up several viruses and secondly, my Gmail email account was hacked. Those things made me reconsider my own behavior and the way in which I use my PC. I would always have the latest operating system updates, always used an up to date anti-virus program and I always used a software firewall - but I was also doing silly things such as using the PC in "Administrator" node all the time, I allowed "shares" and I had unnecessary services running such as "Server". I've now changed all those things and my PC is about as secure as it possibly can be, that doesn't mean to say that I wont get hacked again or that I'll never get another virus, but at least I've reduced the risk of those things as far as possible. So I don't think the problem so much is with products such as Avira which I tihnk are pretty good, the problem is more likely to have been me so you may want to consider those things also.