Uk Embassy Proof Of Income Letter

Just accessed the British embassy web-site: the rate for supplying 'proof of income' letters is now THB 2,408. http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/

Q: What is the current processing time for production of the letter? (I'm keen to avoid any log-jam arising from embassy closures on 13-15, 22,25 and 29 April for Songkran/Easter/Royal Wedding.

Q: Is the embassy really insisting on payment by Postal Order/Bank Draft and declining to accept cash? (Recent posts here are contradictory).

Many thanks.

My experience back in August was:

The lady said cash would have been fine, I arrived as they opened in the morning and she said come get it in the afternoon.The day I went I was the ONLY one there and I may have been lucky. I think the official answer is next day collection.

I supplied bank statements printed out from online account with my own summary page. Monthly "In's" total for 3 months, divided by 3 for average monthly, multiplied by 12 for average yearly figure. The Immigration guy used Bangkok Bank rate on the day for conversion in to Thai amount when completing paperwork. (assuming you want letter for visa that is).

Hope that helps.:jap:

Edited by CharlieH

Charlie did they not need letter from pension fund or employer?

Were just Bank accounts acceptable and were they in UK

Mine are in Oz only if i have to do days in BKK and MOFA letters its easier go with deposit in Thai Bank

I agree such fees like those for passport are outrageous

If they really are possible next day almost worth the 2 day drive from here

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Yang, yes you can pay by cash or credit or debit card at the counter, postal orders and bank drafts are only required if you apply by post.

I do agree that the fee of 2408 Baht is scandalous, though to be fair that charge is not set locally. All you are paying for is a locally employed member of staff, earning in the region of 1600 Baht per day, to enter the details on a template and get a consular official to sign it. Don't have a go at them though, it's not their fault, and of course the fee will be increased next month when they up all their charges. I would rather show my evidence to a Thai Immigration Officer and hand over a nice crisp 1000 Baht note, but hey ho.

Charlie did they not need letter from pension fund or employer?

Were just Bank accounts acceptable and were they in UK

Mine are in Oz only if i have to do days in BKK and MOFA letters its easier go with deposit in Thai Bank

I agree such fees like those for passport are outrageous

If they really are possible next day almost worth the 2 day drive from here

No didnt ask for any of that, were happy with just the printed Bank statements from UK Bank. (online)

Did mine last Aug.- , Asked for a.m collect after 1pm same day, cash accepted. I think the postal order, money order etc is for postal applications

Edited by Tafia

Went for proof of income letter 2 weeks ago.

RBS charged me 5 quid for posting 3 months of statements. The friendly lady at the Embassy counter, mentioned that if was online with the bank, downloaded statements would be accepted.

As per the website I obtained a postal order from Nana Post Office,[bt2315] The Embassy lady said that cash would have been accepted.

As I slowly walked away from the counter with my receipt and form for collection the following day,[afternoon] she looked at my hi-so walking cane and asked if i had an accident. I quickly explained I had recently had a hip joint implant fitted.

She said; You have come along way. Please wait 'over there' and my colleague will do your letter within the hour.'

40 min. later another lady came and handed me the letter, saying; 'Have a nice day.'

Now that's what I call service.

£50 for a form letter. What a rip-off. Totally shameful.

Gosh, I though the US income letter (a.k.a., another form letter) rising to $50 (approx £30) serveral months ago was shameful. Thinking about it some more, having to pay either of those prices for a form letter and a stamp/signature is shameful...but, hey, both the US and UK have some BIG deficits to overcome...I'm sure our embassies are just doing their part to lower the deficits through out pockets. :whistling: