Well That'S It Then - No Nrl For Aust Expats

Once again we Australian tax paying Expats have been screwed by our inane government and the power of the dollar. All the rights have been sold of to a Pay for View company who have denied the rights of the ABC to broadcast into Asia.

Any one expecting to see NRL on the ABC via PSI or any other free to air satellite provider may as well stick to the Badminton on TrueVison and I believe the AFL will receive the same fate in August.

Effin ars#holes!!

I dont think its the dollar as Australia Networks most profitable revenue stream was advertising during sports.

There is a small group of us on facebook (Expat Rugby League Fans in Asia 2011) who have been corresponding with Graham Annesley and the NRL trying to undertsand what has happened.

In a nutshell Kevin Rudd and DFAT have decided that Australia Network is not a sports channel and should be focused on the millions of fans of 5 year old Home and Away reruns in Asia. Australia Network offered the NRL a 2 delayed game a week deal. The NRL was hoping to get more games on Australia Network and delayed signing with Setanta until the last minute, I dont think it is a commercially lucrative deal.

Be angry at K Rudd and be angry at TrueVisions who despite what Setanta claim, have no plans to carry the channel......

Sad state of affairs but there is always nrlfix.com who carry all the games live

I dont think its the dollar as Australia Networks most profitable revenue stream was advertising during sports.

There is a small group of us on facebook (Expat Rugby League Fans in Asia 2011) who have been corresponding with Graham Annesley and the NRL trying to undertsand what has happened.

In a nutshell Kevin Rudd and DFAT have decided that Australia Network is not a sports channel and should be focused on the millions of fans of 5 year old Home and Away reruns in Asia. Australia Network offered the NRL a 2 delayed game a week deal. The NRL was hoping to get more games on Australia Network and delayed signing with Setanta until the last minute, I dont think it is a commercially lucrative deal.

Be angry at K Rudd and be angry at TrueVisions who despite what Setanta claim, have no plans to carry the channel......

Sad state of affairs but there is always nrlfix.com who carry all the games live

I can't register with nrlfix.com,it keeps coming up access denied to a proxy server??, i have found a bar in patts showing the warriors/eels game live on saturday(9am) and storm/eagles game live 3.30pm,so no friday night games,but a few on saturday.I have a mate who is investigating another bar that apparently streams fox from oz so might be able to watch games there as well??

Yeah I got the NRLfix shutdown notice this afternoon...happy days!!

To all our members and NRL fanatics: Unfortunately we have had to close our site due to copyright infringements (refer to Copyright Act 1968-Sect 132A1). I can't go into detail of what the Nrl Partnership have done, but I have no choice but to shut the site down. Firstly I would like to thank Azsportza for the amount of work he has put into the site and to all of the staff involved in the site, It wouldn't be where it is without all your hard work. I think we can all agree that the Nrl has made a mistake because at the end of the day all we wanted is to give people around the world the opportunity to watch Nrl hassle free. We have never made $1 off the site it was all for the fans. We hope that you have all enjoyed our site while it was running, and the administrators want to thank you all for your contributions and support.

You can catch the NRL on Astro Supersports if you are willing to persevere; I know its not the same as the coverage in the league heartlands of ITV Granada, or the UAE, but still... stop grizzling.

How do you think I feel, listening to the Wire on the Wireless over the Internet of a Saturday night? With the transmission buffer stopping every ten seconds. Bloody rugby league!

SC

Yeah I got the NRLfix shutdown notice this afternoon...happy days!!

To all our members and NRL fanatics: Unfortunately we have had to close our site due to copyright infringements (refer to Copyright Act 1968-Sect 132A1). I can't go into detail of what the Nrl Partnership have done, but I have no choice but to shut the site down. Firstly I would like to thank Azsportza for the amount of work he has put into the site and to all of the staff involved in the site, It wouldn't be where it is without all your hard work. I think we can all agree that the Nrl has made a mistake because at the end of the day all we wanted is to give people around the world the opportunity to watch Nrl hassle free. We have never made $1 off the site it was all for the fans. We hope that you have all enjoyed our site while it was running, and the administrators want to thank you all for your contributions and support.

Update,i have just come back from a bar in pattaya that live streams all friday night games,me and a mate watched the bronco/nth queensland game live and the replay of the south/roosters game both great games,tomorrow have the saturdays games live as well,for more info please pm me,would be great to have a rugby league supporters crew patronising this bar

All the matches are also free to view to on the Setanta Sports Asia feed at the moment via satellite.

See their schedule on this link - www.setanta.com/asia/TV-Listings/

So if you have an old Australia Network dish or a PSI / Dynasat move dish, simply get your satellite installer to reposition the dish to Measat 3a C band satellite. Or do it yourself.

You will need to upgrade your set top box to a HD set top box (as this can not be viewed with the old standard definition set top boxes). If your installer can not provide you with a HD set top box, we have them all pre-tuned with Setanta on this link http://www.jsat.tv/fta-satellite-packages/movedish-hd-upgrade.html which we can EMS to you.

Remember: Setanta is currently free to view but it will not be this way forever.

Edited by jsat

You can catch the NRL on Astro Supersports if you are willing to persevere; I know its not the same as the coverage in the league heartlands of ITV Granada, or the UAE, but still... stop grizzling.

You're assuming that I can actually get Astro...I can't and even if I could coverage is extremely limited due to the clashes in timing with S15 rugby (yawn). I have no clue what the Wire is except a half decent US TV series.

There are MANY people grizzling all around the region and rightly so. The NRL has, in the last 2 days launched this: http://www.livenrl.tv

Not sure if anyone has subscribed? If so how is the experience? Better than iSetanta? (wouldnt be hard) Its on the expensive side but I would pay it if I knew it was decent.....I can live without rugby or head to the pub when the test matches are on mid year but I am suffering greatly having no NRL this year...

Well, that settles it :bah:.

Will not stay in LOS if I cannot get my AFL and NRL games.

I guess we have been spoiled by Aust Network over the years. I got more games to watch in LOS than I do in Brisbane.

look on the bright side ,,, we might get all the AFL games every week until August,,,then miss out on the finals ,,, about NRL ,, l was starting to enjoy watching that more than the AFL ,,, they seem to have less grey areas with the rules compared to AFL ,,which l think has become very frustrating to watch ,,, l hope somehow we can get a free to air coverage of both or either ,,,,BUMMER

then miss out on the finals

I'm sorry.. what?

That's it, I'm moving.

As for the NRL, it is utter <deleted> - agreed. Australia network, as you rightly say, is stupid. It does a crap job of entertaining/informing Australian's abroad and promoting the country in the region. On both counts it fails.

But seriously, what happens come AFL finals time? I solved the problem in India for a few years by renting a hotel room with the right cable channels and making a small bender of it. What's the sitch here in BKK? If that's a thread hijack tell me to bugger off and I'll make another one.

W

Can you provide a link for this information?

• 4 months later...

You can tell any bar owners who are interested that 1st Setanta is 14.95 a month - not expensive, though it is a major piss off when they show 15 minutes of Rugby or S14 ? ads at half time in an NRL game, no course we dont want to see the commentary & replays of the tries, seen em once - dickheads. The other option is Bigpond sport, I am told by a bar owner here who has it - only $91.00 AUD a year for all AFL & NRL games, not too bad. I watch games there, all good & live not delayed due to other crap we dont care about !