Jet Airways

rocketmanbkk

Just seen some cheap flights from LHR - BKK via Mumbai.

Any news on them? Anyone flown that route? i have a child.

I don't want to be sat on a plane full of Indians, sorry, but it's the truth. I stayed at a hotel 3 years ago where they went for their package in Pattaya and they were the rudest, most ignorant idiots I have seen in Thailand.

I am not racist but would rather avoid them if their planes are full of them!

I hear Jet are quite good but would like to know the truth about the passengers.

Cheers

fly kingfisher, excellent airline...

i note you say you dont like a plane full on idians, but it is a hell of a lot better then a plane full of pakistians !

Have you ever been on a flight full of Pakistanis?

I fly frequently between Bangkok and Europe with Pakistan Airlines in both Economy and Business Class and it is really OK. I make about 4 trips a year.

The Pakistani's are not as bad as you make them out to be. The service on board is always good, and there is no Booze. That's a plus. I don't know how many horrible flights I have had on western or European airlines - this caused by drunk Swedes, Finns, Russians etc. stumbling and falling down in the aisles.

Cheers,

Let's not let this thread degenerate.

Family came over LHR - BOM - BKK on Jet. LHR - BOM was OK, decent aircraft, food passable. BOM - BKK arrggggh, it's a 737, cheap sticky plastic seats, awful food.

Crew on both flights were good with the kids (2 and 3) but children's meal was poor (awful) and the regular food too spicy for them. Mumbai airport is a dire place, even after a recent partial refurbishment, luckily stopover is only a couple of hours which will be just enough to see you through the draconian but ineffective security (don't even think about buying duty free at LHR).

I've flown BKK - BOM and back on Jet (cheapskate company I work for), I will not be flying with them again.

I've not flown Kingfisher on international but if their domestic service is anything to go by they'll be pretty OK :)

I flew the route with Jet last year, a lot of Indians (Indian Airline) no problems with them all ok. The flight plane, staff all ok, not keen on Indian food but got by.

A mention of Kingfisher I see, well, they have re scheduled my return flight from Mumbai giving me just 1 hour to change over, the flight time in LHR has not changed, just in flight for another 50 mins. I now wait to see if I make that flight to tell the world whether or not they are a 5 star airline as claimed.

I will fly direct next time and avoid re scheduling and possible events in other countries it is probably worth paying for.

A colleague of mine flew with Jet from Bangkok to London via Dehli.

As ex cabin crew on UK charter ops his comments were:

1) Flight. On time

2) Aircraft. Appeared well looked after.

3) CC. Crap.

4) Food.... OK as a vegetarian.

5) Fellow Passengers. The most uneducated, ill dressed and smelly that he has ever encountered in 10 years of CC work.

6) Transfer at Dehli. Nightmare

7. Security at Dehli. Nightmare

8). Would he fly again with Jet... Never again.

Just his opinion.

Personally I have flown Pakistan Airways, but only internally. The curry for breakfast on the Lahore- Islamabad sector in C was a surprise the first time but looked forward to after that.

Personally I have flown Pakistan Airways, but only internally. The curry for breakfast on the Lahore- Islamabad sector in C was a surprise the first time but looked forward to after that.

That reminds me of the last time I flew Lahore Islamabad, on my way from Bangkok to Oslo, via Peshawar and Islamabad. There was this stewardess on that short flight. She was so gorgeous I could not literally keep my eyes off her. This was on a small 50 seater turboprop... my fellow passengers were a cornucopia of foreign embassy staff...

During the entire one hour flight I took every opportunity I had to peer between the seats in front of me just to get one more chance to see her exotic beauty... she was that gorgeous. It made me feel good just to look at her face, she was a drop dead gorgeous beauty.

Consider that I live in Thailand and I am already rather laissez-faire when it comes to gorgeous women. However, when in Pakistan I am always gobsmacked. When was the last time any of us in Thailand saw a beauty we couldn't take our eyes off of.

Cheers,

Edited by 96tehtarp

Done the trip twice, Jet and Kingfisher pretty much same same. It was fine. Planes are fine staff are fine, I liked the food, other passengers didn't smell any worse than I do. Mumbai is a pain in the arse but bearable.

It's fine, if you want to give a different airline more money because you don't want to sit with Indian people than that's your choice.

You say you don't want to sit with Indian people then why are you even looking at an Indian airline? Obviously there will be Indian people on an Indian plane going to India!blink.gif

Edited by bifftastic

Mumbai airport is a dire place, even after a recent partial refurbishment, luckily stopover is only a couple of hours which will be just enough to see you through the draconian but ineffective security (don't even think about buying duty free at LHR).

I agree that the security is draconian and horrendous. Would you kindly share with us why you think the security is 'ineffective'?

Mumbai airport is a dire place, even after a recent partial refurbishment, luckily stopover is only a couple of hours which will be just enough to see you through the draconian but ineffective security (don't even think about buying duty free at LHR).

I agree that the security is draconian and horrendous. Would you kindly share with us why you think the security is 'ineffective'?

Regarding security on board flights to and from Thailand and Europe I would like to mention again Pakistan Airlines,

Once when I was near an Airbus A310 on the ground at the Islamabad Airport... the captain approaches the aircraft. He's got four stripes and the hat with scrambled eggs on top. The coolie security guard stops the captain dead in his tracks with his Kalashnikov and asks for his "Captain"'s credentials.... then he asks for ... pay attention now all and everybody... the coolie armed with an AK-47 asks the captain for "his papers" verifying that he has authorisation to be near -or- on - or pilot - that specific aircraft on that specific date....

Yea.... so what if you are a Captain. Are you authorised to be near this aircraft today and now?

security doesn't get better that that when even a Captain is grilled by an K-47 wielding Coolie.

Cheers,

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I didn't mean the post to sound racist and I accept there will be indians on a flight to India. What I don't want is to be the only whitey there as, again, not wanting to be too rude, but they do have different ways and smells to westerners, I am just digging the hole bigger here!!

Anyway, Jet are 100% off the list.

I usually fly EVA but over Easter they are expensive = £650+. Thai have flights at £565 but no IFE ! yes, too fussy I hear you say, I am!!!

I'll keep looking, no urgency.

Thanks again.

i know you have already made up your mind and thats fine but...

blimey you guys are fussy. i have flown jet airways LHR - BKK via BOM twice and sure i do get the smell refference but really thats just down to a plane full of people eating curry. Main points are it was a very gd price (£380), it was on time, short stop over that was easy to navigate and the plane was fairly modern (there was a seat with a telly on & somewhere to pee). what more do you need? ive flown with ba, qantas and emirates before and apart from emirates where i was excited to use the big new airbus and get a glimps of the baji dubai tower nothing justifies the extra cost.

just my thoughts

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I didn't mean the post to sound racist and I accept there will be indians on a flight to India. What I don't want is to be the only whitey there as, again, not wanting to be too rude, but they do have different ways and smells to westerners, I am just digging the hole bigger here!!

Anyway, Jet are 100% off the list.

I usually fly EVA but over Easter they are expensive = £650+. Thai have flights at £565 but no IFE ! yes, too fussy I hear you say, I am!!!

I'll keep looking, no urgency.

Thanks again.

:lol: someone, please take that shovel off him!

Flown with jet return to LHR and also MAN via Brussels. Jet are a good airline. The staff are excellent both on the ground and in the air and the food is passable (is there really any good airline food?). The BKK to Mumbai leg is the worse of the two due to it being an older plane, the Mumbai - LHR has always been a brand new plane with good legroom. They are consistently on time and the only real issue is Mumbai airport which is bearable. The last two times we've flown our connecting time has been so short that it's been a case of get off one plane, walk through the security and the terminal and board the next. Security in Mumbai is a bit of a ball ache as it's split separate male and female and the queues can be quite long. The only real complaint I've ever had is with the other passengers trying to unpack the overhead lockers as soon as the wheels have touched down and it can be a bit of a stampede trying to get off, but if you're patient there's no issue.<div><br></div><div>I'm using Jet again this year as I have miles to spend and a free upgrade, but I have noticed that their prices are creeping up and actually if it wasn't for the upgrade and miles I would be flying Qatar this year as they are over 100 quid cheaper.<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

I went from BKK to LHR on Jet once, stopover in Delhi as I recall. Can't complain about the airline or the flight - it felt like a typical budget carrier. Not at all like Korean Air or the other nicer Asian carriers, or even Thai Airways, but better than a typical US carrier and perfectly satisfactory for a cheap flight. I thought the food was quite good, considering. Although, they ran out of the chicken meal right before they got to me - I think they were expecting a lot more vegetarians (common in India). The vegetarian dish was quite good though so no actual complaint there.

My complaint is with my fellow passengers. I would have vastly preferred that they were Indian - they were mostly UK students who must have gotten on the last possible connection from Koh Samui or Phuket or someplace like that to BKK - no time to change clothes or take a shower apparently. They all smelled awful and were half naked (it was mostly guys, so no silver lining there) like they were still on the beach. On top of that, they were quite rude not only to me, but also to the stewardesses (who were very nice). There must have been 40 or 50 of them - a huge percentage of the passengers on the flight.

I felt ashamed, actually, that since I was sitting next to some of the students that the stewardess who was passing out customs forms assumed that I was with them and didn't give me a form (being UK citizens they didn't need the customs form, I'm young too but I'm from the US) so I had to get up later to try to find one, which meant interacting with and squeezing past the smelly students (I had the window seat).

I think it's obvious that you expect certain types of people to be more common on the cheapest flights - and Jet often has the cheapest flights for that route - so you take your chances. Otherwise, though, as I said - no complaints with the airline itself, I thought they were pretty good. The airport in Delhi and security there felt strange, indeed - army soldiers with AK-47s all over the place - but other than having a long queue for the security line they were efficient and professional (which is more than you can say for e.g. the TSA in the US), just as in China or Japan or Korea when I've had connecting flights there. It was strange looking out the window during takeoff and landing and seeing a huge slum built up all the way to the edges of the runway, but that's another matter.

I've been to BKK 3 times. February and October 2009 and new year 2010/2011. First and last times were with Jet and middle one with Etihad. Both were good but my preference would be Etihad due to the flight times. With Etihad and I assume with other Middle East airlines it 2 fairly equal legs of 6 to 7 hours. LHR - BOM - BKK it's around 9 hours LHR - BOM then about 4 and a half BOM _ BKK. I think it's worse going the other way as the longest flight is the last one.

Abu Dhabi airport is better than Mumbai although that was better this time. Only worry with Abu Dhabi the stories about people getting stopped for cannabis joints stuck to the bottom of their shoe, a couple of poppy seeds from a bread roll at LHR and others.

I was lucky the last time as I got upgraded to business class from LHR to BOM. My original seat was near the back and it's quite difficult trying to get to the front when everyone is going the other way.

The Jet aircraft did seem a little older this time but were still OK. I was impressed the first time by the fancy blue plates but they seem to have gone. Never had a problem with Indians and never noticed a smell. I thought the food was good as well but then I live and eat in Isaan when I'm there so I've learned to be understanding of strange food.

A colleague of mine flew with Jet from Bangkok to London via Dehli.

As ex cabin crew on UK charter ops his comments were:

1) Flight. On time

2) Aircraft. Appeared well looked after.

3) CC. Crap.

4) Food.... OK as a vegetarian.

5) Fellow Passengers. The most uneducated, ill dressed and smelly that he has ever encountered in 10 years of CC work.

6) Transfer at Dehli. Nightmare

7. Security at Dehli. Nightmare

8). Would he fly again with Jet... Never again.

Just his opinion.

My gf's brother and mother flew to visit us in London with Jet and their feedback was exactly the same. They really were upset about the transfer/security at Delhi which was describe as 'awful, the worst we ever had'.

They were slightly unhappy about some of the passengers as well....

g.