A Thai Named Farang.

mstribling

If there is one thing i've learnt in Thailand, it's never to take for granted that when a Thai says " That's my Brother ", " That's my Sister ", " That's my Aunt " etc etc etc, it generally actually isn't..

I sometimes think that they just say things because they are too lazy to actually explain what the connection with that Person actually is..

My Thai second cousin calls me 'Uncle'.

(*by second cousin, I mean my Uncle's wife's sister's granddaughter. Yep.)

No no, it's laziness, i'm pretty sure of it..

The words " She's actually a Daughter of a Friend of my Mum's who she used to go to School with " does not translate from Thai >> English as " Sister ", yet it does for some reason & that reason being, i assume, is laziness..

No, in Thai they are constantly calling acquaintances and strangers alike older sibling, younger sibling, uncle, etc. When they say it in English they are just giving a direct translation of what the term of address they use in Thai.

If there is one thing i've learnt in Thailand, it's never to take for granted that when a Thai says " That's my Brother ", " That's my Sister ", " That's my Aunt " etc etc etc, it generally actually isn't..

I sometimes think that they just say things because they are too lazy to actually explain what the connection with that Person actually is..

iIt's not laziness, just that's how the langauge translates into English.

For example children are brothers or sisters if their parents are brothers / sisters, rather than the western definition of cousins.

Another example, I'm a grandfather although my own child is only 6 years old and has no children, and it's not an honorific title like 'uncle'.

The words " She's actually a Daughter of a Friend of my Mum's who she used to go to School with " does not translate from Thai >> English as " Sister ", yet it does for some reason & that reason being, i assume, is laziness..

I don't believe it when you say that, & not as a direct Thai >> English " Translation, that Thai's believe in their Language, that the Daughter/Son of their Aunt/Uncle ( or would she/he just be classed as an older Sister/Brother ?? ) would actually be their " Sister/Brother " as " Sister/Brother " is perceived to be in Western Cultures & i have had enough conversations about this with Thai's to know that it isn't actually so anyway.

Because of the direct blood lineage they consider 1st cousins to be the same as brothers / sisters, otherwise they'd have a word for cousin rather than the generic word 'relative'.

A have a female friend who's surname is "Thai". BTW, she's 100% farang.

You know Lucy Thai? Awesome!!!

Man, can't believe I missed out on that one!! Not sure if she's 100% Farang though.

My mate dated her for the best part of a year. She may well be 100% Asian but her attitude is 100% farang!

Later his wife came to pick them all up. She was definitely 100% Thai as was he. But that girl...

I did not get it I think

Could be second husband or not biolgical father, just a thought not casting aspersions.

Someone asked the girls name. Gaew.

I think maybe the dads father might have been farang. Hard to say.

Just thought it odd this farang looking girl with two Thai parents. Maybe she was adopted.

It is funny about their nicknames though.

Just thought it odd this farang looking girl with two Thai parents. Maybe she was adopted.

My understanding of nicknames is that they mean something attributed at the time of birth...i.e. Noi "little one", Nok "bird", Nam "cool water", so perhaps Gaew is the number 9, which is very lucky in Thailand. Just a guess.

mario299 :rolleyes:

Perhaps the mother was asked who the father was, answered "Farang". In comes papa, says "what!?" She tells him that's what everyone keeps calling him behind his back.

She was Greng Jai

He was Thai, so didn't protest or enquire further and became Farang

:)

Son, daughter, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, grandmother, grandfather, etc all have extended meaning for thai people and as such when it's translated it's not what we would expect. I've met a lot of each and it twisted my head in the beginning to actually figure out which was real family and not, but in Thailand it doesn't matter as much.

iIt's not laziness, just that's how the langauge translates into English.

For example children are brothers or sisters if their parents are brothers / sisters, rather than the western definition of cousins.

Another example, I'm a grandfather although my own child is only 6 years old and has no children, and it's not an honorific title like 'uncle'.

I don't believe it when you say that, & not as a direct Thai >> English " Translation, that Thai's believe in their Language, that the Daughter/Son of their Aunt/Uncle ( or would she/he just be classed as an older Sister/Brother ?? ) would actually be their " Sister/Brother " as " Sister/Brother " is perceived to be in Western Cultures & i have had enough conversations about this with Thai's to know that it isn't actually so anyway.

Because of the direct blood lineage they consider 1st cousins to be the same as brothers / sisters, otherwise they'd have a word for cousin rather than the generic word 'relative'.

So what's this then ??

• ลูกพี่ลูกน้อง -

lôok pêe lôok nóng

My understanding of nicknames is that they mean something attributed at the time of birth...i.e. Noi "little one", Nok "bird", Nam "cool water", so perhaps Gaew is the number 9, which is very lucky in Thailand. Just a guess.

In what sense would a Bird be attributed to a time of Birth then ??

Not attributed to a time of birth, but rather at the time of birth.....for example..."oh, my little one", or "oh, my little bird"...something like that...but as I said, just a guess.

mario299 :blink:

A have a female friend who's surname is "Thai". BTW, she's 100% farang.

You know Lucy Thai? Awesome!!!

Man, can't believe I missed out on that one!! Not sure if she's 100% Farang though.

My mate dated her for the best part of a year. She may well be 100% Asian but her attitude is 100% farang!

Sorry? Your mate went out with Lucy Thai? Really??????

Not attributed to a time of birth, but rather at the time of birth.....for example..."oh, my little one", or "oh, my little bird"...something like that...but as I said, just a guess.

mario299 :blink:

but a good guess :)

nicknames or 'chue len' are given by parents to babies. Quite why calling your kid 'frog' or 'bird' is meant to be cute, I've no idea, but there it is! Lots of Gop's and Nok's out there, also fruit seems to be popular.

Geaw is glass or crystal but duang geaw ดวงแก้ว is something like 'beloved' or 'dearest' I think, so maybe that's where it's use as a name comes from.

Having said that, there are meanings attached to English names, but once they become used repeatedly over the years, they just become regarded as names and the original meaning's often aren't even thought about. I have to say though, my g/f's sister's boy does look like a frog, in a nice way of course :)

I was reading something, somewhere, that there's a tendency to now use English loan-words for nick names, one example that was given was 'jet-ski' :lol:

Edited by bifftastic