Canon Lens - Buy Here Or I'M Germany/Austria?

CanInBKK

I'm looking to buy my next L series Canon lens but don't know where the pricing is best? Should I just buy here or wait until my trip to Europe next month? I have no idea how the pricing in Europe compares to Thailand so any input would be great.

just my experience - camera and accessories are expensive in Thailand, some popular lenses are close to international pricing. depends on which L lense you are aiming, those latest one are selling as gold here.

sometimes while travelling in Europe or Japan, think about buying some latest gadgets there. eventually all time checking between shops, and can't reach best local offer :-(

It's been my experience that cameras and lenses are cheaper in North America, even thought they may be produced in Japan. It's also been my experience that cameras are more expensive in Thailand than elsewhere.

However, if there is the possiblility that something might go wrong and you need warantee replacement then it's much easier dealing where you bought the item. Of course, Thailand has had some funny stories where that is concerned. Although many things are cheaper in China where a lot of stuff is produced, their warantees are worth zilch.

I used to shop at Fotofile in the 90s, but their prices now are really high compared to Hong Kong. For HK you can check pretty accurate street prices here.

I always compare against the B&H price, which is usually about the best price you will find from a reputable worldwide dealer. Then I just make the call whether I need the gear enough to pay the local premium.

B&H was my shop around the corner in NY, loved it. Question= if you order from here how to get it shipped the most efficient way, cost and deliverywise??

But I should add for the OP my experience for Germany. Buy in Germany, bought my L lenses there, much bigger market for such high price product.

Edited by THAIPHUKET

I used to shop at Fotofile in the 90s, but their prices now are really high compared to Hong Kong. For HK you can check pretty accurate street prices here.

I always compare against the B&H price, which is usually about the best price you will find from a reputable worldwide dealer. Then I just make the call whether I need the gear enough to pay the local premium.

That's exactly what I do.. B&H isn't always the cheapest per item, but on average they provide the best prices and are a great guideline. And there almost always will be a local premium..

An option is a shipping service. I use this one all the timeand I've never been disappointed.

If you are going through Hong Kong, I second what Koknia says. USA prices may not equivalent. Check list and website at the link for Hong Kong prices and locations - same as Koknia's. I used the website extensively before I purchased.

I bought my Mark DII in Hong Kong for $17200 HKD = $2200US. It's at about $2675US on Amazon now.

http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

If you are going through Hong Kong, I second what Koknia says. USA prices may not equivalent. Check list and website at the link for Hong Kong prices and locations - same as Koknia's. I used the website extensively before I purchased.

I bought my Mark DII in Hong Kong for $17200 HKD = $2200US. It's at about $2675US on Amazon now.

http://www.ygdragon....cameraprice.htm

The 5d Mark II is about $2300 here in Thailand.. and $2400 at some places in the states.

Prices most often are stuck in stone, but after the first year they become a lot more fluid.