All Banks Now Require A Work Permit To Setup A New Account?

I tried to open a secondary bank account today at a kasikorn branch which didn't require a work permit before. The teller told me the bank's policy has been updated and all kasikorn branches now require a work permit to setup a new bank account.

Did anyone here open a new bankaccount without work permit in the last month or so? Please PM me.

This is most strange as it defies all logic!!!!

How about someone with a retirement extension to his/her visa and is about to settle in Thailand? This person will not be interested in a Non-Imm. "B" visa and certainly not interested in a work permit being a retiree!!!!!!! If it's "money in a Thai bank" that's being used as the financial criteria, then the person needs to be able to open a Thai bank account..

Try another branch or even another bank!!

How about someone with a retirement extension to his/her visa and is about to settle in Thailand? This person will not be interested in a Non-Imm. "B" visa and certainly not interested in a work permit being a retiree!!!!!!! If it's "money in a Thai bank" that's being used as the financial criteria, then the person needs to be able to open a Thai bank account..

Retirement visa is classed the same as a work permit... any visa that is Not just a tourist visa should do the trick...

This 'rule' was introduced about 1996 / 1997, Kasikorn have ignored it up to now.

Just try a different branch until you have success.

This "rule" was introduced by the Bank of Thailand much later than the dates you quote.......... my recollection was that the confusion started around 2004. Some banks ignored it, some banks complied and other banks hadn't a clue what it was all about and what had to be done. Then all banks moved into ignoring the rule very quickly and the BoT rescinded the rule shortly afterwards. Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank,, Bank of Ayuddyah, Krung Thai Bank and others ignored it, In fact, a friend of mine opened a savings account with the Siam Commercial Bank four years ago and he had only a 30-day entry stamp.

This 'rule' was introduced about 1996 / 1997, Kasikorn have ignored it up to now.

Just try a different branch until you have success.

This "rule" was introduced by the Bank of Thailand much later than the dates you quote.......... my recollection was that the confusion started around 2004. Some banks ignored it, some banks complied and other banks hadn't a clue what it was all about and what had to be done. Then all banks moved into ignoring the rule very quickly and the BoT rescinded the rule shortly afterwards. Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank,, Bank of Ayuddyah, Krung Thai Bank and others ignored it, In fact, a friend of mine opened a savings account with the Siam Commercial Bank four years ago and he had only a 30-day entry stamp.

I guess you just arrived in 2004 then?

I had a bank account in Bangkok in 1995 and I moved to Pattaya in October 1996. When I wanted to buy a condo in Pattaya in 1997 and open a local account the bank refused without a work permit as the new 'rules' had been introduced by the Bank of Thailand.

The banks go through phases where they 'forget' about the 'rules' and then 'remember' them again.

No doubt people who have arrived in Thailand now will remember it as the year that the confusion started, but the banks have been confused about the issue for a long, long time already.

this is interesting !

I could understand the situation for the retirement VISA. would other non-immigrant O have the same status as the work permit ?

Retirement visa is classed the same as a work permit... any visa that is Not just a tourist visa should do the trick...

A Work Permit has been required at all Banks for at least the last 6 years, just some Banks/Branches chose not to enforce this rule.

As some have said already, if you don't have a WP, keep trying different branches until you get one that will overlook the requirement. I've found Kasikorn Bank to be one of the easiest to deal with so far and whoever you choose it does make life a little easier if you take a Thai with you to deal with it all.

I agree with this post. I had the same experience a couple of years ago and pointed out that I was retired and did not need to work. Further that the Thai government required me to show them my bank account details each year in support of my retirement visa. They then opened a bank account for me. I also had the same problems with internet banking but again pointed out that as I was retired I did not have any need for a work permit and again I got internet banking.

and how, pray tell, does one get a retirement visa without a thai bank account showing a balance of 800,000 Baht? :whistling:

I guess you just arrived in 2004 then?

Wrong!!! November 28th, 1991 actually, with only one two-week trip back to the UK. But, there again, it's not the time that is important.. Never mind, it's not as important as you seem to think it to be as you used the words "...........just arrived in 2004......".

Happy days.

And how, pray tell, does one get a retirement visa without a thai bank account showing a balance of 800,000 Baht? :whistling:

Perhaps by showing a 65,000 baht/month confirmation of income letter to Immigration. :whistling:

Sorry Naam. Couldn't resist it!! :wai:

and how, pray tell, does one get a retirement visa without a thai bank account showing a balance of 800,000 Baht? :whistling:

Well it is like this.

You can't open an account without a retirement visa in your passport.

You can't get a retirement visa without 800k in your bank or an account that shows evidence of you having a regular income.

We call it 'Catch 22'

The Thais call it 'method for preventing any more ageing, pot-bellied farangs from retiring here'.

Banks in Thailand are very feudalistic. For example, despite all the branches of Kasikorn being a part of kasikorn, the understanding of how to deal with foreigners is pretty much up to the local branch manager's discretion. Some mangers understand that you don't need a work permit to open a personal account (you do for a business account). Most don't understand. Tellers definitely don't understand. Most branches in and around heavy foreign areas DO understand. All the banks circulate their branch managers on a regular basis. A bank can one day allow foreigners, the next day with a new branch manager, not allow, and vice versa.

You should ask to speak to the bank manager. most Bank managers have as one of their metrics a measurement on how much they have increased their branch's total deposits. Smart ones are willing to take on foreigners. If despite this, he/she refuses, smile and simply go to the next bank.

Retirement visas (O-A visa) are only available from your home country; no Thai bank account required. Retirement extensions in Thailand (different methods available) usually do require a Thai bank account (always for the 800K and combo methods).

And how, pray tell, does one get a retirement visa without a thai bank account showing a balance of 800,000 Baht? :whistling:

Perhaps by showing a 65,000 baht/month confirmation of income letter to Immigration. :whistling:

Sorry Naam. Couldn't resist it!! :wai:

no need to apologise :lol: question: does this non O-A allow you to stay in the country for one year without any visa runs?

I opened a new account at Bangkok bank 10 days ago with no problems whatsoever. Yes, try elsewhere.

ive just opened an account with the Kasikorn ,5 mins ago,with no problems,Ive got just 1 day left on a type o visa.They issued me with a card , pin and a paying in book.Much faster than the UK.Try another branch seems good advice to me...

I have accounts with over a dozen local banks, and only one of them was opened with a work permit.

The key is being relaxed and friendly, it's all just routine - of course being all dressed up for your approaching business meeting, and having a decent wad of cash you're ready to deposit doesn't hurt. . . Sometimes you can even get away with a casual "oh I don't have it on me at the moment" if it's an older manager with whom you've established a decent rapport - it gives them big face to show they have the discretion to bend the rules for their new farang friend. And as others pointed out, if you get turned down at one branch just go to another.

Some people say I've been here for too long 8-)

I recommend opening at a branch in a shopping center near a BTS station that has extended hours - usually 363 days per year until 8pm - as there are quite a few transactions that require your returning to that "home branch".

Note that I've been also asked to produce the WP long after the account's been opened, and had the *&%#^ pinhead close it on me because I was then temporarily on a tourist visa 8-(.

Just opened a secondary bank account with bangkok bank today at there main branch in silom! no problems account issued is savings it allows debit and online payments but doesnt offer internet banking. i did try TMB, and 2 braches of Kasikorn, which declined unless you have a work permit or wife! So yes hunting around is the best bet.

no need to apologise :lol: question: does this non O-A allow you to stay in the country for one year without any visa runs?

Yes.

Again, often those using the pension method (65K per month) are STILL required to prove existence of a Thai bank account for retirement extensions.

Edited by Jingthing