All Banks Now Require A Work Permit To Setup A New Account?

This 'rule' was introduced about 1996 / 1997, Kasikorn have ignored it up to now.

Just try a different branch until you have success.

This "rule" was introduced by the Bank of Thailand much later than the dates you quote.......... my recollection was that the confusion started around 2004. Some banks ignored it, some banks complied and other banks hadn't a clue what it was all about and what had to be done. Then all banks moved into ignoring the rule very quickly and the BoT rescinded the rule shortly afterwards. Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank,, Bank of Ayuddyah, Krung Thai Bank and others ignored it, In fact, a friend of mine opened a savings account with the Siam Commercial Bank four years ago and he had only a 30-day entry stamp.

I guess you just arrived in 2004 then?

I had a bank account in Bangkok in 1995 and I moved to Pattaya in October 1996. When I wanted to buy a condo in Pattaya in 1997 and open a local account the bank refused without a work permit as the new 'rules' had been introduced by the Bank of Thailand.

The banks go through phases where they 'forget' about the 'rules' and then 'remember' them again.

No doubt people who have arrived in Thailand now will remember it as the year that the confusion started, but the banks have been confused about the issue for a long, long time already.

Was asked for a WP in 2002 at several banks along Sukhumvit Rd.

This is most strange as it defies all logic!!!!

How about someone with a retirement extension to his/her visa and is about to settle in Thailand? This person will not be interested in a Non-Imm. "B" visa and certainly not interested in a work permit being a retiree!!!!!!! If it's "money in a Thai bank" that's being used as the financial criteria, then the person needs to be able to open a Thai bank account..

Try another branch or even another bank!!

Retirement visa is classed the same as a work permit... any visa that is Not just a tourist visa should do the trick...

and how, pray tell, does one get a retirement visa without a thai bank account showing a balance of 800,000 Baht? :whistling:

Naam, you get the visa first, (non-imm 'o' or 'o-a') outside the Kingdom and then you get the extension of stay by showing the 800,000 Baht. So, I think what was meant, is that, for the purposes of opening a bank account, the visa, used for retirement purposes, is viewed, by the bank, as being the same as the work permit. Or, as you rightly say, the extension of stay could not be obtained :)

Naam, you get the visa first, (non-imm 'o' or 'o-a') outside the Kingdom and then you get the extension of stay by showing the 800,000 Baht. So, I think what was meant, is that, for the purposes of opening a bank account, the visa, used for retirement purposes, is viewed, by the bank, as being the same as the work permit. Or, as you rightly say, the extension of stay could not be obtained :)

thanks, understood. never really knew exactly what the deal with "non-imm / oa" et al was. the Mrs and i got our retirement visa after entering Thailand on the 30 day visa waiver. the same applied to nearly a dozen of my friends (the last one two months ago). our cases required to have the 800k in a Thai bank before applying for the first year of stay.

thanks, understood. never really knew exactly what the deal with "non-imm / oa" et al was. the Mrs and i got our retirement visa after entering Thailand on the 30 day visa waiver. the same applied to nearly a dozen of my friends (the last one two months ago). our cases required to have the 800k in a Thai bank before applying for the first year of stay.

Ah, ok :)

What they did for you there is convert your 30 day permission to stay into a non-imm visa. The other way is to get the non-imm out of the country, giving you a 90 day stay, so the funds required for the extension of that stay have enough time to 'season' in a Thai bank ( I think it's 2 months for the first extension for that very reason) and then, rather than getting a years visa, the retiree obtains an extension of stay based on retirement, at which point all the financials are required :) I think that way is for first time visitors who obviously need some time to get their bank accounts opened. I guess if you've already got a Thai bank account with the necessary funds in place, your way would be easier by far.

i have 2 acc. bangkok bk and ayudhya in yasothon.

i moved to Khon kaen after divorce and try to get a new acc.

all branches in central plaza asking for a workpermit or a garanty letter from the ambassy.

cheers

The above Embassy letter is just your passport number and name on a piece of paper with your home and Thailand address listed and stamped by Embassy. It is not a guarantee letter as in financial terms.

Below is the web public requirements for Bangkok Bank for those without a work permit to open an account.

Valid passport, and

ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card with your photo issued by a government

institution or university as such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University

Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy [Download Form 177 KB], International

Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via

the SWIFT message [Download Form 958 KB], a person

acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer,

government officer, company executive, private firms), or

home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

[Download Form 674 KB]

2.3 Other documents showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents

showing owners of a fixed asset Condominium Sale/Purchase

Agreement

• 1 month later...

Opened a Kasikorn bank account today after trying all of the banks in Buriram. All they required was my passport and a copy of my wifes ID. They issued me a debit card with a daily max of 100000. Internet banking also.

Just opened a secondary bank account with bangkok bank today at there main branch in silom! no problems account issued is savings it allows debit and online payments but doesnt offer internet banking. i did try TMB, and 2 braches of Kasikorn, which declined unless you have a work permit or wife! So yes hunting around is the best bet.

What account type was it (saving?) Most accounts are able to access internet banking (except for the ones receiving US pensions) - send a PM to forum member daveroc - he's a BKK Bank person, and see what he suggests. let us know!!