Wages In Thailand

swissie

A while ago, there was a thread on TV, listing the wages of a vareiety of occupations. Can't find it anymore.

I am mainly interested in how much a McDonalds-Lady and/or a 7/11 Lady earns.

Thanks & cheers.

aprox for 7/11 is 15 b / hrs

donno about McDonald

Thanks for input. But it can't be. Some time ago, the minimum wage for unskilled farm workers was raised to 200 Bht per 8 hour day. So, if a 7/11 worker makes only 120 Bht in a 8 hour shift that would only bring it to 120 Bht per day = way below minimum wage !

Cheers.

Nevermind big muppet: To err is human !

Bangkok McDonald employees make 600 Bht per day. (stricty hearsay). That of course is a long shot from the minimum wage. But if considering the high cost of living in Bangkok (as compared to the cost of living in the isaan-sticks among the family), I wonder if the Bangkok 600 Bht per day is actually a true financial improvement versus the 200 Bht per day "in the sticks", where within the family food and housing cost are split equally among family members, according to their "earning power". Usually.

Of course, if a farang-sponsor enters the scene, forget about above calculations.

Cheers.

Depends on the location too, some place will be above minimum wage

....locale and employer. As many decent employers will instinctively pay their labour over and above the common minimum wage.....

I have some farang friends who own a restaurant. Their waiters/waitresses get 180 per day. They don't have hourly wages. This means if the restaurant is super busy and they have to stay later than usual, they still get 180.

From memory there is also some information about typical wages and other costs in a report regularly produced by the Thai Board of Investment (BOI).

Google on their name to find the web site and then look around there to find the page listing their downloadable publications

I have some farang friends who own a restaurant. Their waiters/waitresses get 180 per day. They don't have hourly wages. This means if the restaurant is super busy and they have to stay later than usual, they still get 180.

That's shameful and disrespectful.

Wow that's some pretty solid amounts

I know a lot of the bar staff around here get 100 Bhat a day (~7pm - 1am) + Tips. Heard some bars only pay 80 Bhat a day + Tips.

So around 3k Bhat a month + tips.

A friend who was a hotel receptionist, was getting paid 5k a month with some screwed up shift work at the hotel (3pm - 11pm one day, 11pm - 7am a few days later etc). She's now on 6k working at one of the night clubs getting people to pay their 50 Bhat or whatever when they bring in their own bottle of whiskey, think that's for around 5 hours a night (10pm - 3am).

This is all in Isaan though, so cost of living isn't particularly high. Still gives you an appreciation for the hours they do, and encourages me to tip when I can.

Edited by SlyAnimal

before my GF was on 18,000 THB a month plus comms working for hotel company in sales.

I cannot see how most people surive on the wages stated, but we all know they do , as many thais stick together, share food ect ect

but as the other poster mentioned, i still do not know how many thais can afford new cars, my security guard who is on a 10 th f my BASIC salary has a new car, but i seemed to not be able to afford a new car

I agree. However, they have had the same employees for over a year (they don't leave) and have tons of applications from others who didn't make the cut. So apparently some Thais believe that's a good wage.

I agree. However, they have had the same employees for over a year (they don't leave) and have tons of applications from others who didn't make the cut. So apparently some Thais believe that's a good wage.

What about the tips ?

Average Thai customer leave a 20 Bahts tip. 9 customers and they already double their salary,

On a busy day ....

If people lining up for the job, there should be a reason.

What about the tips ?

Average Thai customer leave a 20 Bahts tip. 9 customers and they already double their salary,

On a busy day ....

If people lining up for the job, there should be a reason.

Yes, they get tips. I'm not sure how good they are, though (I never asked). But they're pretty busy, so maybe the tips are good.