Snake

murni

I saw near Huay Tung Tao something like the banded krait except I'm sure it had orange and black hoops. I regularly cycle around the 5km exercise track and often surprise snakes as I whiz around the corner as they rest on or near the track. Scares the life out of me though. I've also seen the small smooth green snakes around there and the other day came upon a green and brownish thing about 1.5m long, again he got my heart thumping.

Could be a Red Mountain Racer (Elaphe porphyracea porphyracea to 120c)see p52 of the book referenced by me above.

Interested to know.. where in CM are you?

Snakeville. Go north on WaterBuffalo Hiway, turn right on Serpentine Lane and mind where you step..

....Weather seals are available at the HomePro kinda places that you can stick on the bottom of your doors and that should do it since snakes have been condemned by god to crawl on the ground onto eternity - it's that apple thing..

Beg to differ. I used to rent a house in a soi in C-Mai old city, near Wat Chedi Luang, and had a resident Golden Tree Snake (Chrysopelea ornata - see p66 of 'Snakes and Other Reptiles of Thailand and SE Asia, by Cox, Van Dijk, Nabhitabhata and Thirakhupt'). Looks greenish-yellow from a distance, but its really golden scales on black. One day I saw it climb vertically up a 6inch-wide and half inch deep indented channel in the wall! I never saw it fly - in fact they sort-of glide a bit. Only mildly poisonous, with grooved back fangs carrying the poison. I found a sloughed off skin on the living room floor one morning.

It was a - I say, it was a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head! (cr: foghorn leghorn)

Of course I know that snakes climb since my trees are draped with a few. Young snakes slithering around and poking their noses into small spaces seem to be what the OP is dealing with however and sealing up the bottoms of doors could help keep them from blundering into his/her kitchen or whatever.

A snake that is serious about getting into your home will eventually find a way but, unless you live with rats and mice running amuck in your home as I do, why would they bother? I frequently find geckos that have snuck into the house and I catch and release them outside because there is nothing for them to eat inside (unless of course they know how to deal with the occasional human corpse).

..there is nothing for them to eat inside (unless of course they know how to deal with the occasional human corpse).

i think ye are a little strange Dustoff :D you arnt the one providing jabberwoky with there meat for the sausages are you :o

Certainly not! And I do not think it is appropriate for you to make fun of my sexual preferences.. :D

• 1 year later...
We are getting a lot of one type of snake in the house. It is about a foot long, slender, pale yellow underneath & bright yellow & black horizontal stripes on top.

Does anyone know what it is? We have a guide to Thai snakes but it is not listed in it.

Thanks in advance

According to this description it looks like a Buff-Striped Keelback (Amphiesma stolata) - one of the most harmless snakes in the world.

More information is HERE

snake_1.JPG

Scaremongering at it,s best Ilyushin.

I believe that the tiger snake you refer to is indigenous to Australia.If someone had one as a pet and it had escaped then that may explain the presence of a single tiger snake. Poor Murni is saying that he has had many of these snakes in his house so I think it may be some other species. Quite possibly just as venomous. :D

I'm no expert (after all, 'ex' is a has-been and 'spurt' is a drip under pressure) but I have always understood that:

1. Yellow and black are the danger signs of nature, whether they be on a snake, spider or what have you.2. If you kill small young snakes (rather than gently throwing them out somehow), Mummy snake will soon come looking for vengeance! Not a pretty sight and i know 2 rural farangs to whom this has happened.

3. Generally, snakes are more worried about you than you should be about them. They tend to lash out only when taken by surprise.

Nature has also created a lot if "look a likes" which needs further examination before categorized :)

I live in a Village in Muamg Loei North East & foung a black & yellow snake in my outside kitchen this morning as my dogs were going crazy. It was about as fat as my finger.

Being English we generally dont have a great deal of experience with snakes. It was very slow & docile & I read that generally that means highly Venomous. I swept it into a long handled dust tray & put it over my back wall into the field. I do not like to kill creatures.

I find about 5 snakes a year here usually big & brown but I have had bright green tree snakes. They are slow too. I had a large cobra that actually spat venom & hit me on my cheek once. I had to kill it as it was large,very agressive striking as I was trying to catch it to set it free. I have seen large spiders & big black scorpions here too. My lawnmower has chopped a few small snakes by accident cutting my grass. If the snakes are too long I pin them down behind the head with a stick & grasp them tight as they cant bite you if you hold them tight right behind the head & throw them over the field. Not much else you can do really. I dont want them in my garden or house. Here is a pic of the most common brown snake eating a frog by my wall its only small. The other one is quite big. Not sure if its dangerous.

post-98079-1272930376_thumb.jpg

post-98079-1272930451_thumb.jpg

Multiple black and yellow banded snakes in Thailand. Some non-venomous snakes mimic the venomous ones and some venomous ones decide that the more things that think yellow and black is bad the better, so they mimic as well...

If you are unsure, avoid it, walk backwards and call someone to deal with it if need be. Better to be out a few baht and a bit of pride than to find out necrotic or neurotoxic venom feels like flowing through your veins!

P.S. Venomouse refers to injection, poison you ingest. Thus we are afraid of snakes and arthropods that are venomous, and don't eat poison dart frogs because they're poisonous.

Scaremongering at it,s best Ilyushin.

I believe that the tiger snake you refer to is indigenous to Australia.If someone had one as a pet and it had escaped then that may explain the presence of a single tiger snake. Poor Murni is saying that he has had many of these snakes in his house so I think it may be some other species. Quite possibly just as venomous. :D

I'm no expert (after all, 'ex' is a has-been and 'spurt' is a drip under pressure) but I have always understood that:

1. Yellow and black are the danger signs of nature, whether they be on a snake, spider or what have you.2. If you kill small young snakes (rather than gently throwing them out somehow), Mummy snake will soon come looking for vengeance! Not a pretty sight and i know 2 rural farangs to whom this has happened.

3. Generally, snakes are more worried about you than you should be about them. They tend to lash out only when taken by surprise.

Nature has also created a lot if "look a likes" which needs further examination before categorized :)

I live in a Village in Muamg Loei North East & foung a black & yellow snake in my outside kitchen this morning as my dogs were going crazy. It was about as fat as my finger.

Being English we generally dont have a great deal of experience with snakes. It was very slow & docile & I read that generally that means highly Venomous. I swept it into a long handled dust tray & put it over my back wall into the field. I do not like to kill creatures.

I find about 5 snakes a year here usually big & brown but I have had bright green tree snakes. They are slow too. I had a large cobra that actually spat venom & hit me on my cheek once. I had to kill it as it was large,very agressive striking as I was trying to catch it to set it free. I have seen large spiders & big black scorpions here too. My lawnmower has chopped a few small snakes by accident cutting my grass. If the snakes are too long I pin them down behind the head with a stick & grasp them tight as they cant bite you if you hold them tight right behind the head & throw them over the field. Not much else you can do really. I dont want them in my garden or house. Here is a pic of the most common brown snake eating a frog by my wall its only small. The other one is quite big. Not sure if its dangerous.

The photo of the snake on the right is a python. it is hard to tell by the photo, but it doesn't look like a large one. Reticulated pythons are the longest snakes in the world and have been known to grow to almost 30 feet in length. Anacondas of South America are fatter for their length but not as long. Boa constrictors are much smaller.

The photo of the snake on the right is a python.

Python molurus (common names: Indian python, black-tailed python, and Indian rock python), hardly longer than 3 meters.

And this one quite pigged out recently. Hope you didn't miss your cat, Richards ...