90 Day Reporting

I have now lived in Thailand for 6 years and been to immigration every year to renew my visa without any problems. In fact the staff there have also been friendly and very helpful. Sometimes they made photocopies of a page or 2 of my passport for free. Not once has anyone there made any reference to the 90 day reporting.

I have heard about it but most of my colleagues just said that as long as you are not in the "system" of reporting noone will know or care. Well this all changed yesterday. The woman at the counter pointed out that I hadn't reported to them in the 6 years I have been here. I smiled and tried in all innocence to say that I had a work permit, renewed my visa every year and so on. There was nothing I could do.

I was told to report to another counter and register. The guy working there was immediately quite aggressive and demanded a 5000 Baht fine. Again I tried the polite innocent approach but soon realised there was nothing I could do. Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up paying 2000 Baht.

I know that I have done wrong in this case by not reporting every 90 days but what annoys me so much is the fact that I have been to the immigration 6 times, been in and out of the country countless times and noone has bothered to even mention it until now.

Yesterday I noticed several other farangs complaing about this, so I guess they are doing a crackdown having found yet another way to get money from farangs.

Anyone else experience similar problems?

Do thank you for the post as you may save grief for others; but if you want to play the blame game perhaps you should point it toward those who provided you the wrong advise? As for immigration not mentioning it: did you ever ask? After six years here I am sure you know most people are not going to be in your face if it can be avoided. I would be very happy to get out of it with a 2,000 baht fine rather than be upset my smile did not move mountains.

I know that I have done wrong in this case by not reporting every 90 days but what annoys me so much is the fact that I have been to the immigration 6 times, been in and out of the country countless times and noone has bothered to even mention it until now.

Yesterday I noticed several other farangs complaing about this, so I guess they are doing a crackdown having found yet another way to get money from farangs.

Anyone else experience similar problems?

Pattaya Immigration have been strict on this for some time now.

Each time I go along to report the woman there hands me back my Passport with new date and takes on the manner of a school Head Mistress. She wags her finger as she tells me when I must next report, announcing the exact date. The last time I was there I could not resist but respond by politely asking her when they started opening on Sundays. She looked incredulous so I simply pointed out that the date she had entered and just quoted was a Sunday. Yes, I had already checked in advance as to what the next calendar 90 days date would be.

Petty of me, I know, but life's little victories are few and far between! It has always irritated me that they do not bother to check, pedantic as that may seem.

When I went for my last retirement extension, it had not occurred to me to complete a TM 47 form as I assumed my very presence there was de facto reporting. Not the case as I was 'ticked off' for not having filled out the form and then had to do so.

At the end of the day, they set the rules and we must abide by them.

It's as simple as that.

.... Not once has anyone there made any reference to the 90 day reporting.

I have heard about it but most of my colleagues just said that as long as you are not in the "system" of reporting noone will know or care....

I know that I have done wrong in this case by not reporting every 90 days but what annoys me so much is the fact that I have been to the immigration 6 times.....

..... so I guess they are doing a crackdown having found yet another way to get money from farangs.

You want them to tell you to look before crossing the road as well?

You knew about and didnt do anything. You are lucky they let you off with that small fine.

Its funny how you describe it as a crackdown to get more money out of us when in fact, if we are doing it properly, we DONT PAY ANY MONEY!

I live 30 kms from the centre of Bangkok, every time my 90 days is up or I have other visa business I go to the Suan Plu office get my business done then we spend the rest of the day in Bangkok shopping and sight seing etc. Ive never had any problems at Suan Plu but people should realise that the law is the law and Thais in official positions take a dim view to people disregarding the rules they police. If you play the game and do as you're told, they will help you. Most farangs should consider what would the consequences be for the same visa breach's in their home country, probally deportation with a black mark.

Ok. Thanks for all the comments. Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining about the fine. I just don't understand why they haven't fined me before now.

Yes it was at Soi Suan Plu and yes i know I have been lucky to get away with it for so long and I know it was illegal.

Today 4 or 5 of my colleagues went to the same place and all except one were fined. The one who wasn't fined has been in Thailand for 26 years. The reason for not fining him was that 26 years ago this law didn't exist so he probably didn't know about it!!!!!!

Anyway I'll be going to Soi Suan Plu every 90 days as ordered.

I was told however, that I can actually send the form by mail but I have to send my passport along. I must admit I don't fancy doing that. Who knows what'll happen.

I work in another government office and here they told me that I can register online. Does anyone know about that?

No you can not register on-line. They are probably thinking of reporting a foreigners presence as done for hotels and such.

Yes you can do by mail. Registered suggested. And no you do not send your passport. You make copies of passport pages and entry card and send them along with old TM.47 receipt and new form and a stamped self addressed envelope. It should be mailed to arrive before your reporting date. Many people do use this method.

No you can not register on-line.  They are probably thinking of reporting a foreigners presence as done for hotels and such.

Yes you can do by mail.  Registered suggested.  And no you do not send your passport.  You make copies of passport pages and entry card and send them along with old TM.47 receipt and new form and a stamped self addressed envelope.  It should be mailed to arrive before your reporting date.  Many people do use this method.

Thanks for the information lopburi3.

Much easier than going there every 90 days.

I saw an interview with the head of immigration in Pattaya regarding the immigration office move from soi 8 to Jomtien. During this interview it was mentioned that you will be able to do your 90 days reporting on internet when this office move is completed.

I think the move will take place in November.

When I asked about the mail-in 90-day reporting at Suan Phlu last year, they indicated a strong preference that anyone in the BKK area report in person rather than via mail.  Has this changed, or do people just do it anyway?

When they first started enforcing the 90 day rule they did not even mention Bangkok being able to use mail. But for last year or so they have not seemed to have any objection and freely hand out the procedure information if you ask and have the method listed on web sites.

I lived in Thailand 9 years without leaving, and had been told when I first extended my visa, not to worry about going to report every 90 days - that by the staff at the non immigrnat room. I never did report. Others where I worked did report, but only one person in a group of 10 who came together. In fact, they never even applied for their visas in person sending one person with the lot (for extensions after the first year).

I lived in Thailand 9 years without leaving, and had been told when I first extended my visa, not to worry about going to report every 90 days - that by the staff at the non immigrnat room. I never did report. Others where I worked did report, but only one person in a group of 10 who came together. In fact, they never even applied for their visas in person  sending one person with the lot (for extensions after the first year).

Nine years ago you were not expected to report (just as you did not need a tax clearance to leave Thailand). But for the last three or four years you have been required to report address every 90 days.

Nine years ago you were not expected to report [every 90 days] (just as you did not need a tax clearance to leave Thailand).

I’ve been wondering about the tax clearance certificate. Does an alien in Thailand on a non-O visa for support of Thai wife with annual extensions of stay need a tax clearance certificate every time he leaves the country (in addition to the re-entry permit he needs to come back on the basis of his old visa)?

Nine years ago you were not expected to report [every 90 days] (just as you did not need a tax clearance to leave Thailand).

I’ve been wondering about the tax clearance certificate. Does an alien in Thailand on a non-O visa for support of Thai wife with annual extensions of stay need a tax clearance certificate every time he leaves the country (in addition to the re-entry permit he needs to come back on the basis of his old visa)?

Forget I even mentioned it. No. It has not been required for 15 year or so.

When I asked about the mail-in 90-day reporting at Suan Phlu last year, they indicated a strong preference that anyone in the BKK area report in person rather than via mail.  Has this changed, or do people just do it anyway?

When they first started enforcing the 90 day rule they did not even mention Bangkok being able to use mail. But for last year or so they have not seemed to have any objection and freely hand out the procedure information if you ask and have the method listed on web sites.

When I got my retirement visa, (BKK) and I indicated that I would do my 90 day report by post, the lady officer said - with that famous smile - 'better you report in person'

I chose to report by Registered Mail but did not get a response. To avoid default, I went in person to BKK Immigration and after some frustrating rigmarole the mailed application was found and they admitted no action. 'But, my pen aray, your here and here's your reciept'

Yes, they do seem to prefer personal reports if only to make up for their own deficiencies. Clearly, is all the 90 day reporters in LOS went in person the offices would be swamped. I suspect that that Suan Phlu is overloaded and needs prefers personal reports to 'jog their system.

Forget I even mentioned it.  No.  [The tax clearance certificate] has not been required for 15 year or so.

Good to know. Thank you.

I remembered the tax clearance certificate from 25 years ago and it was of renewed interest to me in connection with my plans for my move to Thailand next year.

When I got my retirement visa, (BKK) and I indicated that I would do my 90 day report by post, the lady officer said - with that famous smile - 'better you report in person'

I chose to report by Registered Mail but did not get a response. To avoid default, I went in person to BKK Immigration and after some frustrating rigmarole the mailed application was found and they admitted no action. 'But, my pen aray, your here and here's your reciept'

Yes, they do seem to prefer personal reports if only to make up for their own deficiencies. Clearly, is all the 90 day reporters in LOS went in person the offices would be swamped. I suspect that that Suan Phlu is overloaded and needs prefers personal reports to 'jog their system.

As one of the documents required is a copy of your last reporting receipt do not believe it is possible to make the first report by mail. Also if over 90 days it can not be made by mail.

I made the mistake of being over 90 days and it cost me 2000baht, no biggy, my mistake. I did have then give me a suggestion form that I did not fill out (hoping they would let me slide with the "EXCELLENT" report that I put in but this didn't happen. I will next time say that I think that this should MAYBE be done on a semi annual basis instead of the 90 day thing now. I can understand SOME of this as I am married to a Thai and do the yearly visa but it is kinda stupid as I bring the wife and our child each time and the wife always says she's happy ( I sure hope so) so everything goes smoothly. This does give me a chance to pop into town and have some time away and really I don't trust the postal system here to get everything there on time.