Bored To Death In The Sticks

ninjat

Told the wife we could go up country for a few days for songkran; buy the tickets. Best prices were for an 8 day stint, I said no, I'd rather pay the extra 3k and go for 4 days, she got mad and didn't buy the tickets. i asked why, she said too expensive; I said I'd rather pay a little more and only stay 4 days. She said it would be insulting to only go for that long (not true). Now were not going anywhere (wa-hoo)but have to deal with a passive aggressive wife for god knows how long :angry:

Only those with Thai wives (or long term girlfriends perhaps) will truly understand what I am talking about :lol:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a 6 week stint in the sticks once, which was about my limit.

I mostly just got drunk.

Great idea at least if your drunk you can sleep it off. I would never go in the sticks unless it had an airport where l could make an early escape as 1 day would be enough

If its up north just parade around in a pro yellow shirt if down south a pro red one, should make life and your vist a little more interesting... :whistling:

FYI, there is a North and South Issan. Besides the red shirts are not just from the North. Perhaps one of the largest concentrations of their support is Si Sa Ket.

Try and get out of the Sukhumvit ghetto once and a while and turn off the TV and actually go somewhere in Thailand for a change.

perhaps you should realise that thailand encompasses more than Issan and that the South of THAILAND is ways further down than Si Sa Ket.

Love the sneering reference to Sukhumvit though, perhaps you should venture farther afield than the chicken coop and local lao khao stand and actually go somewhere in Thailand.

Like Boo said, as long as I have my laptop and camera I'm okay. I also like to bring a drawing pad and some paints. It REALLY helps to have a creative hobby. I just got my first I-pod last year before coming to Thailand and my daughter loaded 800 of my favourite songs on it. It sure keeps me contented when going to 10 km or more walks. Now I understand why kids had those music players with them all the time. Everyone has earphones today. BUT, make sure when walking when listening to music to be extra careful. it's too easy to step in front of a vehicle you can't hear.

Visiting the in laws, I always take a lot of books with me, and a bicycle. Always drive the car up there, nice to be able to go places. Just spending a few days should never be a problem, nice to slow down a bit every once in a while.

I hate the village locals and their lazy way of life.

They just muck about all day, picking fruits off trees or riding around on their motorbikes with nothing else to do.

Below is a snapshot of 2 locals I saw out and about on a motorbike. I mean, who would want to hang out with the likes of them for 6 weeks? Totally boring.

No, not me, I would much rather stay in the town, go bar crawling with my mates, eating crap food and sitting on my computer.

I know just what you mean, Beetlejuice. Why just a couple of weeks ago these obnoxious young ladies grabbed me and wouldn't let me leave until I had a meal at their cafe. I was held there against my will for 3 hours instead of being allowed to go back to my hotel alone and eat the processed cheese sandwich I had made 6 hours before. And, I was so looking forward to watching the slapstick Thai TV program that night.

<snip>

She even stole my glasses for this photo.

<snip>

Yup, it's really rough out in the sticks with only a few places with entertainment.

Edited by craigt3365
removed picture

They just muck about all day, picking fruits off trees or riding around on their motorbikes with nothing else to do.

Below is a snapshot of 2 locals I saw out and about on a motorbike. I mean, who would want to hang out with the likes of them for 6 weeks? Totally boring.

No, not me, I would much rather stay in the town, go bar crawling with my mates, eating crap food and sitting on my computer.

I know just what you mean, Beetlejuice. Why just a couple of weeks ago these obnoxious young ladies grabbed me and wouldn't let me leave until I had a meal at their cafe. I was held there against my will for 3 hours instead of being allowed to go back to my hotel alone and eat the processed cheese sandwich I had made 6 hours before. And, I was so looking forward to watching the slapstick Thai TV program that night.

She even stole my glasses for this photo.

Yup, it's really rough out in the sticks with only a few places with entertainment.

But Ian, dear, those photos were hardly taken out in the sticks were they? Or are the burbs of Chiang Mai now counted as out in the wilds? :lol: Now on your Mahseer fishing trips, that really counts as being way out in the middle of bugger all. Just you and your pole. ;)

But Ian, dear, those photos were hardly taken out in the sticks were they? Or are the burbs of Chiang Mai now counted as out in the wilds? :lol: Now on your Mahseer fishing trips, that really counts as being way out in the middle of bugger all. Just you and your pole. ;)

True that, but some people call anywhere outside Nana Plaza or Soi 8 in Pattaya "Out in the sticks".

I DO know what the OP is saying though. I've been there more than a few times, and I have to occupy my time creatively. I had to buy a fold up table just so I had something to put my computer on.

I've been looking after a Thai family in a Thai village called Luk Kae (Kanchanaburi) for 8 years. This is their home.

Boons_home_2.sized.jpg

My entertainment is taking the children to the river for a swim. They love it but need adult supervision for safety sake.

This was taken about 6 years ago and that particular spot has now been turned into a park.

Children_at_river_6.sized.jpg

Now the children are getting more responsible I take them further afield to Mt Erawan waterfalls

Fong_Gong_2.sized.jpg

Fern_1.sized.jpg

True that, but some people call anywhere outside Nana Plaza or Soi 8 in Pattaya "Out in the sticks".

I DO know what the OP is saying though. I've been there more than a few times, and I have to occupy my time creatively. I had to buy a fold up table just so I had something to put my computer on.

I've been looking after a Thai family in a Thai village called Luk Kae (Kanchanaburi) for 8 years. This is their home.

Boons_home_2.sized.jpg

My entertainment is taking the children to the river for a swim. They love it but need adult supervision for safety sake.

This was taken about 6 years ago and that particular spot has now been turned into a park.

Children_at_river_6.sized.jpg

Now the children are getting more responsible I take them further afield to Mt Erawan waterfalls

Fong_Gong_2.sized.jpg

Fern_1.sized.jpg

Thank you for uploading these lovely photos.

Definitely tourist brochure material and makes you want to go; aaahhhh, bless em, when looking at the kids.

Edited by Beetlejuice

If its up north just parade around in a pro yellow shirt if down south a pro red one, should make life and your vist a little more interesting... :whistling:

FYI, there is a North and South Issan. Besides the red shirts are not just from the North. Perhaps one of the largest concentrations of their support is Si Sa Ket.

Try and get out of the Sukhumvit ghetto once and a while and turn off the TV and actually go somewhere in Thailand for a change.

perhaps you should realise that thailand encompasses more than Issan and that the South of THAILAND is ways further down than Si Sa Ket.

Love the sneering reference to Sukhumvit though, perhaps you should venture farther afield than the chicken coop and local lao khao stand and actually go somewhere in Thailand.

LOL. Sukhumvit hit too close to home sweetie?

The reference to the south sure was not that far south since the guy thinks that's the home of the yellow shirts.

Yeah ... right the Muslim terrorists down there are big yellow shirt supporters.

Yet, some might not consider the very Khmer Provinces of Si Saket and Surin to be "associated" with Isaan.

Not having a go but, Issarn includes people who both identify with the Lao culture and use a dialect related to Lao and those (yes, a minority) who use a Khmer dialect.

Buriram

Chaiyaphum

Kalasin

Khorat

Loei

Mukdahan

Nakhon Phanom

Nong Khai

Sakon Nakhon

Sisaket

Surin

Ubon

Udon

I can't think of all 20 provinces right off the bat these are all Isaarn.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Ahh bless Vpi has had his beer is now relaxing and refering to people by sweetie...

I wont bother with the whole politcal shirt argument that upset you so much this morning, when you had a sense of humor faliure.

Will adress the unnecessary personal attack. I dont live in Bangkok never have , Can converse fully in Thai both written and spoken.Employ over 100 Thais across the country plus have travelled extensively across Thailand for both pleasure and business.

Still do not consider myself an expert for all things Thai like your goodself.But do know if you are bored as the OP in the country is talking politics will always stir up a bit of a reaction.As will talking money or food.

Learn the language travel a bit and see for yourself VPi or better still do as I suggested post the pictures on here and give us all a laugh.

:whistling: also ment to show point is made in jest

Edited by stiggy

no more pictures from you.

PLEASE

:jap:

What in the world do you do all the time wherever you are most of the time now?? Are you the type that must be entertained, or can you create your own entertainment? Do you sit in a bar a lot being entertained, or go out and find fun, entertaining, educational things to do.

Up to you, as they say. Go there and find, or go there and be depressed, or don't do there. Up to you.

mario299

Yet, some might not consider the very Khmer Provinces of Si Saket and Surin to be "associated" with Isaan.

Not having a go but, Issarn includes people who both identify with the Lao culture and use a dialect related to Lao and those (yes, a minority) who use a Khmer dialect.

Buriram

Chaiyaphum

Kalasin

Khorat

Loei

Mukdahan

Nakhon Phanom

Nong Khai

Sakon Nakhon

Sisaket

Surin

Ubon

Udon

I can't think of all 20 provinces right off the bat these are all Isaarn.

ask any of the koratians and they will protest that they are NOT issaan.

but any how: take care of the local dogs, look at peoples' gardens clean up the yard of grandma and grandpa (im dying to do that next time when we get to go), teach the kids to make pancakes over a charcoal and wood fire (camping style), make pita bread (same way), i dunno, id probably be bored in a city cause u need more money to go anywhere or do anything in a city. out in the sticks, there's always stuff to do that doesnt cost anything more then a smile and make some conversation...

bina

How about dressing up in a yellow t-shirt, drink a bottle of whiskey and then nick someone's Tuk Tuk and drive all the way back to BKK and then call the missus and tell her you're out with the boys for a couple of weeks - dont remind to tell her you left 2000 baht for her under the pillow.

I dont know what, but you're not going to be bored...

Awesome i want that

I can't understand how so many Farangs that married HISO girls live in a backwoods village in Isaan.

Its like saying that men that married into hi society USA went to live in the wilderness of Georgia and met Banjo playing kids whose family members wanted them to squeal like a pig .

It just ain't gonna happen !

Edited by MrsMills

I can't understand how so many Farangs that married HISO girls live in a backwoods village in Isaan.

I suspect that the so-called hiso girl isn't all that. Don't ya have to be born into that class? Surely, a wannabe when your family are backwater low Isaanites.:whistling:

I suspect that the so-called hiso girl isn't all that. Don't ya have to be born into that class? Surely, a wannabe when your family are backwater low Isaanites.:whistling:

Maybe a tad unfair, many Isaan people have more money than you or I will ever have.

I do agree with the HISO girl analogy though, then again, she isn't likely to have met a HISO Farang in a bar, I know that's different, of course it is, it suits us.

I know many many Farangs who met their wives in Bars, hey and farang women are no different, I remember many years ago I had to lend a Danish girl money because her Thai boyfriend from Samui had ripped her off, I met girls in Japan who had been ripped off by Thai guys ( These were Farang girls ), they did the curcuit from GOA to KPG, go to earn money in TOKYO and live another 9 months in GOA and KPG, and so it went on, many got ripped off in Thailand, then again, many also got ripped off by Israeli guys in Japan after they got jobs in Hostess bars.

Anyway, back to Thailand, Thais are pretty cool. :)

Just refuse to go.

Send wife back with some cash in her hand, then go out and party for a couple of weeks!

I will try this next time we visit Thailand. I hope to get away with it! For at least half the holiday! Will let you know if I survive :lol:

Told the wife we could go up country for a few days for songkran; buy the tickets. Best prices were for an 8 day stint, I said no, I'd rather pay the extra 3k and go for 4 days, she got mad and didn't buy the tickets. i asked why, she said too expensive; I said I'd rather pay a little more and only stay 4 days. She said it would be insulting to only go for that long (not true). Now were not going anywhere (wa-hoo)but have to deal with a passive aggressive wife for god knows how long :angry:

Only those with Thai wives (or long term girlfriends perhaps) will truly understand what I am talking about :lol:

I thought it was only my wife did that. Or it was unique to her! :lol:

LOL. Sukhumvit hit too close to home sweetie?

The reference to the south sure was not that far south since the guy thinks that's the home of the yellow shirts.

Yeah ... right the Muslim terrorists down there are big yellow shirt supporters.

LOL. Yeah actually, it is. The south has always been the most anti Thaksin region of Thailand (BKK all the way down to the border). Thaksin parties winning the rural south is about as likely as the democrats sweeping all of Isaan. And the south isn't all 'Muslim terrorists'.