Thaksin Will Only Return If Granted Amnesty: Chaiyasit

webfact

I hate to think what levels they would be at if Korn hadn't put the brakes on the freefall PPP had left the economy in when they left office. So their plan with PTP is to vote back in the 2nd string team of the one that dropped the ball with PPP.... and let them not notice what's happening in the world yet again. "Brilliant!" As 'The Kids In The Hall' might say with full sarcasm.

Why not actually think instead of hating to think about it?

It won't hurt to coax out some rational reasoning.

The seeds of economic problems were sown long before Thaksin was in office. When PM Banharn Silpa – Archa, of the Chart Thai was in power, the finances of Thailand were ok. he left Thailand in decent shape.

Then came along the military with General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh in 1997 and the economy went south fast. It was still quite poor when he was replaced by the Democrat Chuan Leekpai. However, Leekpai managed to stabilize things. However, both the military dictatorship and Abhisit's Democratic party that followed the junta left the economy in a mess. This cannot be disputed. Look at the economic indices of the time.

Thaksin took over and kept the economy stable. he also took measures that laid the foundation for today's improvements. Korn has inerited the payoffs of the investment policies and fiscal decisions taken during the Thaksin era. That's how it works. Every government inherits a legacy from the previous government(s). You make Korn out to be some sort of fiscal genius. He isn't. He is no worse and no better than the finance minister that preceded him.

When you write, you have a tendancy to block out past events that interfere with your chronic villification of Thaksin. Conveniently ignoring the economic catastrophes that distinguished the military rule and Abhisit's Democrat party prior to Thaksin does not make your statement reliable. Go and read the economic indices and see for yourself.

Seems that you interpret things in the picture that you want to believe. Several respected economists have commented that thaksin's economic policies were unsustainable and would cause serious long-term economic problems. I've never seen their comments disputed.

Further, Khun Korn won two prestigious international awards for the policies he developed which in fact limited the impact of the last global economic downturn, and especially limited the possible negative effects on low income earners.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems that you interpret things in the picture that you want to believe. Several respected economists have commented that thaksin's economic policies were unsustainable and would cause serious long-term economic problems. I've never seen their comments disputed.

Further, Khun Korn won two prestigious international awards for the policies he developed which in fact limited the impact of the last global economic downturn, and especially limited the possible negative effects on low income earners.

Democrat aligned economists will of course sing the praises of Minister Korn. What's to say that a finance minister in a thaksin government couldn't have managed as well as Korn? All I can go by are the actual economic indicators at the time of the various governments. The slide into fiscal crisis started with the military junta that preceeded Mr. Thaksin and the prior government. Abhisit inherited the results of the Thaksin era. A national economy doesn't change over night. It takes 2 years before the actual impact of tax and investment policies are seen. This is true all over the world.

What exactly are these prestigious awards. Hopefully you are not referring to the small circulation business magazine award that was handed out a year ago. Did he win a Nobel prize in economics?

I hate to think what levels they would be at if Korn hadn't put the brakes on the freefall PPP had left the economy in when they left office. So their plan with PTP is to vote back in the 2nd string team of the one that dropped the ball with PPP.... and let them not notice what's happening in the world yet again. "Brilliant!" As 'The Kids In The Hall' might say with full sarcasm.

The seeds of economic problems were sown long before Thaksin was in office. When PM Banharn Silpa – Archa, of the Chart Thai was in power, the finances of Thailand were ok. he left Thailand in decent shape.

Then came along the military with General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh in 1997 and the economy went south fast. It was still quite poor when he was replaced by the Democrat Chuan Leekpai. However, Leekpai managed to stabilize things. However, both the military dictatorship and Abhisit's Democratic party that followed the junta left the economy in a mess. This cannot be disputed. Look at the economic indices of the time.

Thaksin took over and kept the economy stable. he also took measures that laid the foundation for today's improvements. Korn has inerited the payoffs of the investment policies and fiscal decisions taken during the Thaksin era. That's how it works. Every government inherits a legacy from the previous government(s). You make Korn out to be some sort of fiscal genius. He isn't. He is no worse and no better than the finance minister that preceded him.

When you write, you have a tendancy to block out past events that interfere with your chronic villification of Thaksin. Conveniently ignoring the economic catastrophes that distinguished the military rule and Abhisit's Democrat party prior to Thaksin does not make your statement reliable. Go and read the economic indices and see for yourself.

Thaksin was in the right place at the right time, nothing more. He failed at every business venture prior to his mid-thirties. His time as PM came during extraordinary world economic flourish. Most every country on the planet was enjoying the fruit of robust economic growth. A monkey could have been the Prime Minister at that time and Thailand would have seen the same results.

Thaksin was in the right place at the right time, nothing more. He failed at every business venture prior to his mid-thirties. His time as PM came during extraordinary world economic flourish. Most every country on the planet was enjoying the fruit of robust economic growth. A monkey could have been the Prime Minister at that time and Thailand would have seen the same results.

Democrat aligned economists will of course sing the praises of Minister Korn. What's to say that a finance minister in a thaksin government couldn't have managed as well as Korn? All I can go by are the actual economic indicators at the time of the various governments. The slide into fiscal crisis started with the military junta that preceeded Mr. Thaksin and the prior government. Abhisit inherited the results of the Thaksin era. A national economy doesn't change over night. It takes 2 years before the actual impact of tax and investment policies are seen. This is true all over the world.

What exactly are these prestigious awards. Hopefully you are not referring to the small circulation business magazine award that was handed out a year ago. Did he win a Nobel prize in economics?

Nice try to save your argument... but Scorecard has won the point clearly.

Democratically aligned, you say, yet they were not even IN THAILAND,

let alone having a connection to this specific party.

Unless you thinking being pro-democracy is enough of a bias.

Secondly.

I was here and watched the world economy crashing

and PPP's 'economists' MISSED IT COMPLETELY, TRT guys missed it except for Devakula. Korn was writing about it in editorials. The PPP ignore Devakula and Korn.

ALL economics journals are small circulation, the market for those discussing the deeper economic questions is very much a niche. I know, because my uncle was an editor of The Development DIgest back in the 60-80's till he retired.

The slide into fiscal crisis started with the USA HOUSING and BOND CRISIS. Which says nothing about the army's fiscal management for 1 year. What is clear is that what replaced the army did not fix anything at all. And missed completely the biggest financial catasrophy of the last 80 years. And did they see it coming with 2 years to look? No. They DID NOT! Ignoring the fact it took less than 2 years in this case.

Their eyes were elsewhere

Also calling me irrational in an earlier post is a flame.

Edited by animatic

You're a little confused. Thaksin "inherited" the economy after the second Chuan government controlled the slide following the 1997 crisis. Abhisit (Korn) "inherited" the economy following the military installed government and the year of mismanagement by the PPP. Therefore we already know that a finance minister in a Thaksin controlled government (the PPP) was only sinking the country further into recession. And please tell us exactly when "the military junta that preceeded Mr. Thaksin and the prior government" was in power?

You're a little confused. Thaksin "inherited" the economy after the second Chuan government controlled the slide following the 1997 crisis. Abhisit (Korn) "inherited" the economy following the military installed government and the year of mismanagement by the PPP. Therefore we already know that a finance minister in a Thaksin controlled government (the PPP) was only sinking the country further into recession. And please tell us exactly when "the military junta that preceeded Mr. Thaksin and the prior government" was in power?

The fact that Korn was internationally recognized is obviously besides the point ;)

The FT isn't a "small" anything in its field --- and Reuters thought it was worth comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/02/22/us-thailand-economy-korn-idUSTRE61L14320100222

Edited by jdinasia

Hmm.....sure, I'll buy that one when you can show me how well the life of the avg thai has been since the coup that kicked out Thaksin illegally!!!!

Look at the first platform issue in the article, to increase people's income and reduce the cost of living. That is the same populist platform Thaksin got into office with....and that is the only type of party that has ever benefited the mass of poor thais in Siam.

I don't like populist. However, how can any "educated Westerner" not understand why the poor would vote for TRT, PPP, or Peau Thai when the other option are upper class, office worker, royalist, academic types that promote THEIR OWN AGENDA?

Do you think the poor in Esarn care if their is corruption amongst those that serve their desires and even their needs (decent water that doesn't make your skin black or acne prone, CLEAN water so the mekong fish you eat doesn't make you sick, a decent place to live, and an education that isn't the worst of all the thai provinces)? They KNOW the rest of Thai society is corrupt and taking their "cut" one way or the other.

The ONLY person I dare say who isn't corrupt is the King and thank God he is still alive. What do you think will happen when he passes away before Siam finally gets a party in power that at least gives SOME of the benefits to it's 90% poor?

You need 3 things to keep up your cheap punting ---- a good exchange rate, a non-violent society where people are willing to "work" instead of steal from you, and stability. Try having your fun in Brazil or the Phils and see how nice that is for you. Like it or not, a populist candidate is what will keep things stable for the time being here, and who's fault is it that the Democrats can't figure that out and adjust their platform? They are at fault. They DON'T WANT TO CHANGE because they are out for their own interests....wake up and smell the p****t**g !!!!!

Pheu Thai Party would seek royal amnesty for Thaksin if it won the upcoming general elections.

They have made that obvious, their main, if not only, platform for the elections.

He will only return home if he does not have to serve the jail sentence.

So Thaksin for sure will not obey the law of this country.

That one I believe.

He will not seek his confiscated money back.

Dont believe that one.

He has already said he would 'change tax law' if he gets back. The meaning of that would in view of his me,me attitude seen clear.

Peace will return to the country if Thaksin comes home.

Dont believe that either.

There will be a lot, probably majority, of the people who will not be happy, possibly even including the army.

He reckoned that Thaksin's sister Yingluck was "qualified and ready" to become the candidate.

A done deal then.

Ahh. Ok, For the sake of argument, I am going to accept your position, that the economy performed well under Thaksin and that it was a result of world economic conditions at the time. Fine.

If so, then all of the long winded arguments presented by others alleging that Thaksin destroted the economy and the economy was in tatters during the Thaksin period are false. You can't have it both ways.

There is just one glitch in your diatribe against Thaksin. In the mid 1990's when the military dictatorship and then the Democrat administration were in charge of Thailand's finances leading a descent into debt, Your timing is off by a few years. Don't people check the dates first before making allegations?

You have conveniently neglected to mention that there was a currency crisis in 1997-1998. Don't you remember the millions of people that had become unemployed and the poverty that was gripping the land? There was real hardship. The much denigrated Thaksinomics with their emphasis on domestic policy came into being with Thaksin's election in 2001. One of the reason's why people were so willing to embrace Thaksin was that the economy under the military and the Democrats had been a mess. Thaksin offered an alternative, he offered hope. (I am not saying he was a fiscal genius, but that is what happened.) For comparison purposes, during the period that Thailand was experiencing hardship, countries like Canada and the USA were posting excellent fiscal results. Paul Martin was finance minister in Canada and was able to get rid of a $42 billion budget deficit, post 5 consecutive budget surpluses, and pay off $36 billion of national debt. He took one of the worst G7 economies inherited from the previous Conservative government and made it into one of the world's strongest. In the USA under Clinton, the budget was balanced and deficits were curtailed. The national debt started to be paid off. It was the George Bush era that screwed up the US economy.

However, let's go back to Thailand. How is it that the rest of the world was doing ok, but Thailand was doing so poorly under the military and Abhisit's Democrats? You cannot blame Thaksin for that.

Hey Scorecard. O partly agree withbthis

"- Yingluck 'qualified and ready' .

No experience in public service, no real political experience,

in fact, she's been pushed before to become involved and rejected the whole idea."

True no elected government experience,

but she certainly has been a ball room and back room player

in the Thaksin political games department for some time.

She knows all the major players via multiple face time,

and she has obviously been a central message conduit for brother

and under the wing of Somchais boss big sister Yaowopa.

She also has executive experience in several companies, ignoring nepotism issues.

Graduating from the #17th world ranked school Oxford

vs

graduating from the #3,480th world ranked Kentucky State U. is not a fair comparison for her. But she does have a decade of executive expeirence that don't teach in Unis and also in running a team.

So I don't think she is a total write off for the job, but being big bros puppet proxy

rules out her possible effectiveness as an individual.

Just trying to be fair.

But not "fair and balance"... I'll leave that to 'Truth Today'.

Excuse me but what executive experience has had other than being a proxy for Thaksin at AIS and SC Assets?

If I were suspicious minded I would think it fishy that, as CEO of AIS, she sold her AIS shares just before the announcement of annual results and the SEC's surprising ruling that Temasek didn't have to make tender offers for all SHIN's subsidiaries, including AIS, which made the AIS share price collapse. But, of course, the SEC then also ruled that this didn't amount to trading based on material non-public information. She would obviously be a straight arrow PM just like her big bro and wouldn't be tempted to indulge in any conflicts of interest.

Edited by Arkady

Hmm.....sure, I'll buy that one when you can show me how well the life of the avg thai has been since the coup that kicked out Thaksin illegally!!!!

Look at the first platform issue in the article, to increase people's income and reduce the cost of living. That is the same populist platform Thaksin got into office with....and that is the only type of party that has ever benefited the mass of poor thais in Siam.

I don't like populist. However, how can any "educated Westerner" not understand why the poor would vote for TRT, PPP, or Peau Thai when the other option are upper class, office worker, royalist, academic types that promote THEIR OWN AGENDA?

Do you think the poor in Esarn care if their is corruption amongst those that serve their desires and even their needs (decent water that doesn't make your skin black or acne prone, CLEAN water so the mekong fish you eat doesn't make you sick, a decent place to live, and an education that isn't the worst of all the thai provinces)? They KNOW the rest of Thai society is corrupt and taking their "cut" one way or the other.

The ONLY person I dare say who isn't corrupt is the King and thank God he is still alive. What do you think will happen when he passes away before Siam finally gets a party in power that at least gives SOME of the benefits to it's 90% poor?

You need 3 things to keep up your cheap punting ---- a good exchange rate, a non-violent society where people are willing to "work" instead of steal from you, and stability. Try having your fun in Brazil or the Phils and see how nice that is for you. Like it or not, a populist candidate is what will keep things stable for the time being here, and who's fault is it that the Democrats can't figure that out and adjust their platform? They are at fault. They DON'T WANT TO CHANGE because they are out for their own interests....wake up and smell the p****t**g !!!!!

Yet another poster who doesn't know what he is saying. Thaksin is not the cure for anything. He is a virus that is much, much worse than any of the other diseases around.

Unlike most people on this forum, I was personally exposed and impacted by the putrid square faced pathogen. The coup was a public service to the people of this great kingdom. If you consider it illegal, it is only because you conveniently choose to ignore all the illegal things which Thaksin did that make it justifiable. Not ideal in any sense, but certainly a practical solution given the realities at the time. Why do you think you are more qualified to choose which laws are important and which ones aren't? Personally, I think the military has more information and is a better judge of this than a random poster on Thai Visa. At least they study the problem and understand the deeper implications. The courts at the time were incapable of acting. I thank whatever supreme being may be around that the Thai military had the courage to act so nobly in this great cause.

You sound like you are a romantic. That is fine, but your admiration for the poison inflicted on this country is sadly misguided.

What people such as yourself fail to realize is that the problem is not the Democrats, and is not the elites. They have personal interests sure, but they will acquiesce to the will of the people, as long as people behave rationally. The problem with everything that is happening is limited to Thaksin himself. Remove the demagogue from the equation, and peace and stability can return. Elect a different populist politician and things will be fine. Just make sure it is one that respects the rule of law and the rights of the minorities.

I forgive you for being ignorant because you obviously don't know the evil you are supporting. If you truly understood, your position would be much more sensible.

"...I don't like populist. However, how can any "educated Westerner" not understand why the poor would vote for TRT, PPP, or Peau Thai when the other option are upper class, office worker, royalist, academic types that promote THEIR OWN AGENDA?..."

'upper class, office worker, royalist, academic types' Bad???

They just happen to be the primary ones who have given the country

any movement forward besides JUST being the rice basket for the west.

Which would solely leave the rural poor at the mercy of the local big men controlling distribution. Or more specifically the feudal system in place for generations.

Academics train people to be functional in business. Business makes jobs, and brings investment,

And academics also educates the young, who can bring some of the knowledge back home to share too.

Office workers are people who keep businesses running and again provide jobs, create investment opportunities and move the country forward in segments besides rural farming, which generates money that filters down to rural farmers in the long run. No businesses, then no progress for ALL people.

Upper class, may be stuck up, but they are also investors and financiers of companies that employe many and move the country forward, make jobs and bring investment from outside thailand.

Well royalists seems to describe the majority of the country.Red shirts and communists, and would be usurpers excepted.Most average Thais love the king and queen and the royal family.At least the ones I have met, and that's quite a few. Such a hapless bunch these Dems represent eh. Not doing anything for the country. That is utter bull poop. But bull poop needed to create a movement in name to take power.

The Dems are just the target, via directed envy, by those that DON'T want the country moving forwards, because it weakens THEIR control up country. Poor people under the control of local masters, keeps the feudal system profitable. Let the people know too much and see opportunities else where, and that control diminishes and so does the profits made on the little peoples labors.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Edited by animatic

The fact that Korn was internationally recognized is obviously besides the point ;)

The FT isn't a "small" anything in its field --- and Reuters thought it was worth comment.

http://www.reuters.c...E61L14320100222

Are you for real. The Financial Times Bankers magzine awards are basically the equivalent of handing out a ribbon to all participants at a school's field day races. Did you look at the awards? They are broken down by region. Mr. Korn is in great company with the Finance Minister of Nigeria, this year's winner a nation teetering on civil war. The awards are intended for product placement and not as recognition of actual achievement. If that was the case, one would be seeing a prominent showing of Chinese, Indian, Canadian, Swedish and Australian figures. Of course Reuters would comment. FT is a contributor to the news feed at Reuters. D-oh.

One of the downsides of these awards is that one must look closely at how the awards are decided upon and how and why they are given. I am not insulting Mr. Korn. However, when he gets a John Bates Medal, or the Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences or even an Adam Smith prize I will gladly sing his praises. The Banker magizine is intended for massaging the egos of those that work in the banking industry.

As an aside, when you read the Reuters article, did you notice Mr. Korn's former role at JP MOrgan Thailand. By happenchance are you up to date on the scandals currently attached to JP Morgan? You might want to do some night time reading instead of hoochie coochie. (Why should your nightlife be more fun than my night life.)

Which would solely leave the rural poor at the mercy of the local big men controlling distribution. Or more specifically the feudal system in place for generations.

Academics train people to be functional in business. Business makes jobs, and brings investment,

And academics also educates the young, who can bring some of the knowledge back home to share too.

Office workers are people who keep businesses running and again provide jobs, create investment opportunities and move the country forward in segments besides rural farming, which generates money that filters down to rural farmers in the long run. No businesses, then no progress for ALL people.

Upper class, may be stuck up, but they are also investors and financiers of co employe manies that many and move the country forward, make jobs and bring investment from outside thailand.

Well done.

As to another point above.

No the economy wasn't "in tatters" under Thaksin, but the world economy was waning from 2004-5 onwards and serious cracks in the facade were evident from 2007 onward. Yes there was stagnation for the year after the coup, but the PPP didn't suddenly put things in order, nor did they even make note of the world economies collapse.

So yes Thaksin benefited in his first term from a resurgent world economy, and the reforms of the Chuan government, but it was beginning to fray steadily in his last full year on office. He was more interested in saving face, maintaining control, and flogging is company to Singapore than the Thai economy.

So it really wasn't a problem from the coup onward, but for a year BEFORE the coup that the problems were starting. But no one was noticing and talking about it, except Devakula and Korn, and few were listening to either. Thaksin ignored because Devakula, because he had 'left him', and Korn because he was a Dem... After that all other 'leaders' had 'more important' things on their minds that Thailands place in the world economy Until Korn and Abhisit had signing power to deal with it.

http://www.reuters.c...E61L14320100222

Are you for real. The Financial Times Bankers magzine awards are basically the equivalent of handing out a ribbon to all participants at a school's field day races. Did you look at the awards? They are broken down by region. Mr. Korn is in great company with the Finance Minister of Nigeria, this year's winner a nation teetering on civil war. The awards are intended for product placement and not as recognition of actual achievement. If that was the case, one would be seeing a prominent showing of Chinese, Indian, Canadian, Swedish and Australian figures. Of course Reuters would comment. FT is a contributor to the news feed at Reuters. D-oh.

One of the downsides of these awards is that one must look closely at how the awards are decided upon and how and why they are given. I am not insulting Mr. Korn. However, when he gets a John Bates Medal, or the Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences or even an Adam Smith prize I will gladly sing his praises. The Banker magizine is intended for massaging the egos of those that work in the banking industry.

As an aside, when you read the Reuters article, did you notice Mr. Korn's former role at JP MOrgan Thailand. By happenchance are you up to date on the scandals currently attached to JP Morgan? You might want to do some night time reading instead of hoochie coochie. (Why should your nightlife be more fun than my night life.)

Korn is kinda amazing, he returned to Thailand and started his own company that became Thailand's largest brokerage in just 7 years. The company was sold to JP Morgan. Korn left in 2004. I am unaware of any scandals from JP Morgan Thailand from 1999 until 2004. Please feel free to fill us all in if there were some! (Now if you are talking about JP Morgan in the US ie Bernie Madoff and around 2006 -----, I don't understand why you would mention it in reference to Korn or Thailand :) )

From the article linked above

"(Korn) has introduced an active and extensive reform program that has succeeded in putting Thailand's economic policy back on track after several years of economic paralysis and frequent government changes," the magazine said.

"they are broken down by region" you say --------- Sorry but even though they are Korn got it for Asia Pacific region AND the World ;) either would be significant .... both just show that you didn't look :)

BANGKOK, 7 January 2010 (NNT) – The Banker magazine of The Financial Times has awarded Thai Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij to be the "Finance Minister of the Year 2010" for both global and Asia Pacific regions. The Banker selected the outstanding finance ministers for five regions including the Americas, Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa, and the Middle East. Mr Korn was first chosen to be the "Finance Minister of the Year" for the Asia Pacific region and was then given the global award respectively.

The magazine compliments Mr Korn on his financial management skills as he assumed the finance minister position of Thailand amid the economic stagnation. In addition, he is given credits for his contributions to promote and enhance financial and economic cooperation in ASEAN.

Other four finance ministers receiving the awards are Luis Carranza from Peru for Americas, Jacek Rostowski from Poland for Europe, Charles Koffi Diby from Côte d'Ivoire (the Ivory Coast) for Africa, and Youssef Boutros-Ghali from Egypt for the Middle East.

http://thainews.prd....id=255301070005

edit to move the new link to the right place

Edited by jdinasia

Often the awards are to those doing the most under the worst conditions.

Not to be confused with keeping your hand on top of the pile as it was when you took office.

The Banker magazine of The Financial Times has awarded

Thai Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij to be the

"Finance Minister of the Year 2010"

for both global and Asia Pacific regions.

Oh wait;

The Financial Times is just an inconsequancial journal... NOT!

The FT newspaper and FT.com

ft-logo.gifThe FT newspaper is printed at 24 print sites across the world and has a global print circulation of 381,658 (ABCs, March 2011). Along with FT.com, it has an average daily readership of 2.1 million people worldwide (PwC audited figures, April 2010). FT.com has 3.4 million registered users and 224,ooo digital subscribers, as well as 605,402 people who pay for its content daily (Deloitte assured, 3 January 2011 to 3 April 2011).

FT Business

ft-business-logo.gifFT Business produces specialist information on the retail, personal and institutional finance industries.

Its publications include:

About Us

The Banker is the world's premier banking and finance magazine. Read in 150 countries around the world, The Banker is the key source of data and analysis for the industry. Its unique database of more than 4000 banks maps their financial strength and soundness via Tier 1 capital, their profitability, and their performance versus their peers.

The Banker has been providing global financial intelligence since 1926 and has built a reputation for objective and incisive reporting on major events. Every month the magazine combines in-depth regional and country coverage with reports on capital markets and structured finance, risk management, working capital management and securities services, environmental finance, trade and project finance, trading, technology and management and governance issues.

No shabby for a niche publication.

I wonder what their take on "Thaksinomics" was.

Edited by animatic

OK ... I think we have debunked gk's posts, though I am still interested if he can come up with any JP Morgan Thailand scandal from 1999-2004! I think it is a silly attempt to muddy up Korn with unrelated dirt .. but if there is something I would like to know about it!)

(I didn't know about the 2.1 million daily readers or the 605k paid subscribers ... FT and FT.com are even bigger than I thought! )

A readership here slightly larger than the FT it would appear...........perhaps the FT should start a centrefold of 'financial masters'

6 Sep 2003 ... Playboy's circulation has stabilized at 3.2 million readers :http://www.npr.org

A readership here slightly larger than the FT it would appear...........perhaps the FT should start a centrefold of 'financial masters'

6 Sep 2003 ... Playboy's circulation has stabilized at 3.2 million readers :http://www.npr.org

Without going through something that most people would see as obvious (FT versus Playboy --- different markets)

FT beats Playboy in daily readers :) Now aren't you ashamed you compared apples to oranges and came out on the wrong end of the discussion?

The magazine's circulation at the end of last year was 2.02 million
Playboy dropped 34% just last year www.chicagobusiness.com

"...I don't like populist. However, how can any "educated Westerner" not understand why the poor would vote for TRT, PPP, or Peau Thai when the other option are upper class, office worker, royalist, academic types that promote THEIR OWN AGENDA?..."

'upper class, office worker, royalist, academic types' Bad???

Upper class, may be stuck up, but they are also investors and financiers of companies that employe many and move the country forward, make jobs and bring investment from outside thailand.

Well royalists seems to describe the majority of the country.Red shirts and communists, and would be usurpers excepted.Most average Thais love the king and queen and the royal family.At least the ones I have met, and that's quite a few. Such a hapless bunch these Dems represent eh. Not doing anything for the country. That is utter bull poop. But bull poop needed to create a movement in name to take power.

The Dems are just the target, via directed envy, by those that DON'T want the country moving forwards, because it weakens THEIR control up country. Poor people under the control of local masters, keeps the feudal system profitable. Let the people know too much and see opportunities else where, and that control diminishes and so does the profits made on the little peoples labors.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Well spoken, thanks.

Without going through something that most people would see as obvious (FT versus Playboy --- different markets)

FT beats Playboy in daily readers :) Now aren't you ashamed you compared apples to oranges and came out on the wrong end of the discussion?

The magazine's circulation at the end of last year was 2.02 million
Playboy dropped 34% just last year www.chicagobusiness.com

I think to be ashamed one would have to take the political commentary on Tvisa seriously..............I am not ashamed.....:)

OK ... I think we have debunked gk's posts, though I am still interested if he can come up with any JP Morgan Thailand scandal from 1999-2004! I think it is a silly attempt to muddy up Korn with unrelated dirt .. but if there is something I would like to know about it!)

(I didn't know about the 2.1 million daily readers or the 605k paid subscribers ... FT and FT.com are even bigger than I thought! )

Not J P Morgan, far closer to home;

"Thaicom's share price jumped sharply yesterday on the news that the Thai government was planning to buy back the satellite business, prompting charges from the opposition Pheu Thai Party that it might have been a target of stock-market manipulation".

Whatever did happen to the Thai Government idea of buying back the Shin Corp business? What? You say nothing happened, but trading of shares soared on release of the news. Who could have made money from that?

http://www.nationmul...s-30131686.html

"Thaicom's share price jumped sharply yesterday on the news that the Thai government was planning to buy back the satellite business, prompting charges from the opposition Pheu Thai Party that it might have been a target of stock-market manipulation".

Whatever did happen to the Thai Government idea of buying back the Shin Corp business? What? You say nothing happened, but trading of shares soared on release of the news. Who could have made money from that?

LOL phiphidon .. weren't you just crying about "sources", since the SET is monitored and nothing came from these charges, we can assume ... what?

oooooh and reading further into the article it was actually such a non-starter that they didn't grill Korn (pun intended!)

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij yesterday took part in a Twitter session with the editors of The Nation. Pheu Thai had targeted him as one of the ministers to be grilled in the no-confidence parliamentary debate. But the debate ended without any censure against Korn.

Asked how he would respond to the opposition's charges of stock market manipulation, Korn replied: "There were many important issues than Thaicom, and still the opposition did not ask any questions. I met with Temasek [major shareholder of Shin Corp] over a month ago without any impact on the stock price - until it became news yesterday - so not guilty.

"If I had wanted to make profit from this, I would have accumulated stock - but this did not happen."

Korn said the Finance Ministry has been asked to look into the Thaicom deal, and so that is what he is doing now. He declined to comment on his talks with Temasek Holdings.

above from the same link provided by PhiPhiDon Edited by jdinasia

LOL phiphidon .. weren't you just crying about "sources", since the SET is monitored and nothing came from these charges, we can assume ... what?

oooooh and reading further into the article it was actually such a non-starter that they didn't grill Korn (pun intended!)

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij yesterday took part in a Twitter session with the editors of The Nation. Pheu Thai had targeted him as one of the ministers to be grilled in the no-confidence parliamentary debate. But the debate ended without any censure against Korn.

Asked how he would respond to the opposition's charges of stock market manipulation, Korn replied: "There were many important issues than Thaicom, and still the opposition did not ask any questions. I met with Temasek [major shareholder of Shin Corp] over a month ago without any impact on the stock price - until it became news yesterday - so not guilty.

"If I had wanted to make profit from this, I would have accumulated stock - but this did not happen."

Korn said the Finance Ministry has been asked to look into the Thaicom deal, and so that is what he is doing now. He declined to comment on his talks with Temasek Holdings.

above from the same link provided by PhiPhiDon

Sorry, now here was I thinking that The Nation was thought to be an impeccable source on this forum. I herewith discount any possiblity that Korn or any of his friends, family or anybody else that could possibly have made any money out of the knowledge of a fake buy out of the Shin Corporation, made any money out of that information. It was just a newspaper story after all. But who were all those enlightened people - wish they could advise me on investments?

Now you're getting the idea.

I get fed up with comments about how the poor can't help themselves, etc, and remain poor. I have spent a considerable amount of time upcountry and a good percentage of these 'good' poor people spend all day partying and drinking whiskey. They are not interested in improving their lot through hard work to make a better life for themselves. Otherwise they would be on the bus to Bangkok, etal, looking for work, and by all accounts there is plenty of work to be had in this land of plenty with a booming economy and industrial sector. I came from a poor background and I have bettered myself; why can't they do so?

Thailand biggest problem is that most Thais have a very low level of education and can't think for themselves. Even the Japanese have commented on this, since they need a skilled workforce to operate the businesses they have here. If most Thais were better educated they could also vote for themselves rather than their village headman telling them who to vote for, ending up voting in frauds like Taksin.

There wasn't any scandal under Korn's tenure whether at JF Thanakom Fleming, JP Morgan or Chase.He was an honest and capable a banker as you could find in Thailand.Charm, good breeding and yes, good looks - the traditional public school boy strengths helped but like Cameron there was an impressive brain at work.

However he was operating in a Thai business environment and that means sailing close to the wind.Some of his advisory work involved recommending and implementing corporate structures which were clearly inconsistent with the letter of the law.But everyone was doing it.

I think Korn has huge potential.He is more personable than Abhisit (who isn't?).The only minor problem is his former PAD association which to be fair he has already distanced himself from.He needs to tell his wife to keep her mouth buttoned as well.

Sorry, now here was I thinking that The Nation was thought to be an impeccable source on this forum. I herewith discount any possiblity that Korn or any of his friends, family or anybody else that could possibly have made any money out of the knowledge of a fake buy out of the Shin Corporation, made any money out of that information. It was just a newspaper story after all. But who were all those enlightened people - wish they could advise me on investments?

Now you're getting the idea.

You got caught in your own game twice in one post, amazing! Not only was it a groundless accusation, you failed to post the facts as they were stated in the article and instead focussed only on the accusation and not on the results. NOT to mention the fact that Korn wasn't mentioned by the reds/PTP ... and I assume you can see why, since they didn't follow up :)

There wasn't any scandal under Korn's tenure whether at JF Thanakom Fleming, JP Morgan or Chase.He was an honest and capable a banker as you could find in Thailand.Charm, good breeding and yes, good looks - the traditional public school boy strengths helped but like Cameron there was an impressive brain at work.

However he was operating in a Thai business environment and that means sailing close to the wind.Some of his advisory work involved recommending and implementing corporate structures which were clearly inconsistent with the letter of the law.But everyone was doing it.

I think Korn has huge potential.He is more personable than Abhisit (who isn't?).The only minor problem is his former PAD association which to be fair he has already distanced himself from.He needs to tell his wife to keep her mouth buttoned as well.

With the exception of the implications of the word 'inconstistant', another rare agreement between us.

Inconsistant is not illegal, or it will be successfully prosecuted. So as with most banking and legal issues, they find a way to get the closest they can get to what they can do, and not cross any big lines. It is normal BUSINESS 101.