Thai Licence Without Showing Idp

Finally got around to getting a Thai driving licence as repeated calls to the insurance company still left me unsure as to whether an IDP was sufficent.They said it was fine but would not put it in writing.

Anyway when i got the licence,i just showed my UK one and that was sufficient.They did not ask to see the IDP.This was at Nong Khai.I do not know if the guy was having one of those days but it might be worth those without an IDP who want a Thai licence to try Nong Khai.Nothing to lose really.

Finally got around to getting a Thai driving licence as repeated calls to the insurance company still left me unsure as to whether an IDP was sufficent.They said it was fine but would not put it in writing.

Anyway when i got the licence,i just showed my UK one and that was sufficient.They did not ask to see the IDP.This was at Nong Khai.I do not know if the guy was having one of those days but it might be worth those without an IDP who want a Thai licence to try Nong Khai.Nothing to lose really.

I did the same in pattaya with my plastic uk, euro licence. I"m not sure if they will accept the old paper licence, though it might be worth a try.

I did the same in pattaya with my plastic uk, euro licence. I"m not sure if they will accept the old paper licence, though it might be worth a try.

I gave my paper licence and idp and they just threw the idp back at me as if to say "what's this for?'.

You did not have to take the written test??

Today I got a medical certificate from Pattaya memorial hospital. I first asked what the cost was and they said 150 baht I had a wound dressed there which I have had done for a week now, anyway they only charged 100 baht + my dressing which was 126 baht (same each day) mind you it took them 3 days before they said NO alcohol while on medication.

They asked me to read small writing with one eye covered, not easy as my eyesight is not perfect for short distance. I wear glasses for driving which I told them, so they suggested using them to read the small print, this of course was useless as they are for long distance! Anyway I passed!

oh man im also worried about the colour test as im red/brown colour blind. if its them dots with the numbers in somewhere im up shit creek without a paddle. i cant beleive you cant drive if your colour blind over there. is a bribe out of the question.

To get my first license I presented my UK (paper) license, two photos, letter from the embassy confirming address, copies of passport + non-imm "B" visa & work permit, and a medical certificate.

I had to do the colour vision test, but it was not the full dots version. This involved standing at the front of the classroom where the locals were taking their written test, while the instructor pointed at some large single colour dots on a wall chart with a pointer. I decided to speak in my "excellent" Thai. Once the whole room was in fits of laughter she gave up and passed me. I'm slightly colour blind but this test should not give you any problems.

When I renewed to a 5 year license I only had to show copies of my current visa & work permit plus the expired license (I'm not sure if you even need the WP, but took it anyway). This was at On Nut, Suk 77

I obtained the Thai drivers licence yesterday form the Jatujak office. I only showed them my UK drivers license and was never asked for an IDP. Once I had handed in all the paperwork, I took 2 colourblindness tests and the 2 brake/accelerator tests. Then I went back downstairs and paid 105 baht and the lady behind the counter said to me 'riap roy'. No written test was taken.

One other thing of note. I was told that you needed to produce a letter of residency from your own embassy. I took the letter of residency and my work permit to the Jatujak office and the woman working there told me I could use either my work permit or letter of residency as proof of address. That pissed me off a bit, as it cost me 1736 baht to get the letter from the UK embassy. I could have saved myself money if I knew that my work-permit was sufficient.

It might just be the JJ office that allows you to use your work-permit but it's worth checking out if other offices have a similar policy. Save yourself time and money.

I tried to get this residency document from immigration and they weren't too keen on processing my forms. They told me it would be a long process maybe 2 weeks + as the police would need to check where I'm living. They told me to get a letter from my embassy which was 600 Baht. Perhaps the guys I was dealing with were feeling a bit lazy on this occassion.

You also need two passport size photos.Take along a friend as everthing is in Thai.

no you don't;

we took two passport fotos cut down to the previous days requested exactly 1 inch square; were then told "no good,need shoulders showing;get new pics"

"where" we said ,being new comers to Phuket

"Go Big C or Phuket Town" the man said :o We went Big C;took pics in again next (third ) day

"no good"he said again

"why"we said

"paper wrong type; cannot put stamp on"he said with a smirk

We were just a bit miffed by now.

A nice Thai lady had overheard and said'" there is a foto booth ,official,just round the back,didn't he tell you?"

"No he Bl...y well didn't " we said

So now you know .Beware the uninformative,smug Official attitude. Go with a guide to get you through painlessly.Essential if you want to keep your blood pressure down!

QUOTE(LivinLOS @ 2005-09-30 13:30:48)

health form ??? What is this and where from ??

just go to any private hospital and ask for a check up, they will give you a sheet that says you are healthy. mine cost 250 baht and i was in and out in 20 minutes

You were done!

I have got them many times. A couple of times from a doctor near Victory monument, 30 baht and he doesn't even see you. Get it from the receptionist.

Bang Na hospital was expensive - 70 baht. Go to any doctors, no need to go to a hospital.

Also, you don't I didn't need the residence letter, but I have a work permit.

Uk license is all I needed, whoever said anything about a IDP?

QUOTE(aletta @ 2005-10-03 11:08:20)

You also need two passport size photos.Take along a friend as everthing is in Thai.

I didn't take a long a friend, but they were very scared at first, asking "where is your wife?", until they realised that this 6'4" whitey could speak Thai.

You'd better learn Thai or take a friend everywhere when you are driving, a few of the signs are in Thai in Thailand. :o

I tried to get this residency document from immigration and they weren't too keen on processing my forms. They told me it would be a long process maybe 2 weeks + as the police would need to check where I'm living. They told me to get a letter from my embassy which was 600 Baht. Perhaps the guys I was dealing with were feeling a bit lazy on this occassion.

What immigration office did you go too? In Pattaya, if you bring them a rental agreement, or lease, they will give you a resedency letter. Sometime charge you 200 baht, and sometimes free. tit.

Barry

I obtained the Thai drivers licence yesterday form the Jatujak office. I only showed them my UK drivers license and was never asked for an IDP. Once I had handed in all the paperwork, I took 2 colourblindness tests and the 2 brake/accelerator tests. Then I went back downstairs and paid 105 baht and the lady behind the counter said to me 'riap roy'. No written test was taken.

One other thing of note. I was told that you needed to produce a letter of residency from your own embassy. I took the letter of residency and my work permit to the Jatujak office and the woman working there told me I could use either my work permit or letter of residency as proof of address. That pissed me off a bit, as it cost me 1736 baht to get the letter from the UK embassy. I could have saved myself money if I knew that my work-permit was sufficient.

It might just be the JJ office that allows you to use your work-permit but it's worth checking out if other offices have a similar policy. Save yourself time and money.

If your drivers license from your home country specifies what you are able to drive, then you do not need an idp. Otherwise an IDP is required for them to be able to find out what you are licensed to drive. If not you will have to take the exams, written and driving.

Barry