Village Homestays, Weekend Retreats

sking_is_leaving

Hello all

Can anyone suggest any villages with accommodation - basic is OK - within a couple of hours of Chiang Mai, that would be suitable for short visits?

These could be hill-tribe villages or just regular Thai villages in scenic surroundings. I'm not interested in organised hill-tribe treks, but rather visiting a single village over, say, a long weekend. I'd need to be able to get nearby using public transport and then arrange a pick-up or walk a few kms.

I haven't been able to find out much on the internet about homestays or village accommodation in Chiang Mai province - just organised treks, which is not really what I'm after.

I don't live in Chiang Mai yet - but once I move there in June I would like to be able to get out of the city every month or so.

Thank very much if you can recommend anywhere or point me in the right direction.

Get yourself to Chiang Mai firstly, get settled, and start exploring Chiang Mai. You will find all sorts of things looking at brochures, talking to people only after figuring out the public transportation system. You will be more limited going to homestays and one village for a weekend without some sort of transportation though.

I reccomend you Samoeng Village, just 45 minutes away from Chiang Mai. There's a hill side homestay/guesthouse there named Forest Guesthouse. I usually stay there. I find it an excellent escape from Chiang Mai and the mountain road to reach Samoeng is really beautiful too. Once in Samoeng take the road on the right side of the market and keep on going for about 3 km, you'll find the guesthouse on the left side, past the temple. Enjoy