Whitening Cream

Semper

Oh dear, I think the OP would have been better served by the Ladies forum.

We ladies have discussed this topic before. Some of the whitening creams from unregulated places can contain ingredients that are deadly, such as mercury which gives a lovely pale, silvery hue to the skin. On the other end of the specturm, the cheaper body lotions from big companies that claim whitening properties are actually pretty good sunscreens. I use one from Citra, a common Thai brand. Someone on the ladies forum posted about the ingredients and said they're perfectly safe and the only reason they don't list an SPF rating on the bottle is that the SPF rating of the sunscreen ingredient isn't long-term stable, so they can't make claims for it.

The OP should post a list of the ingredients of the product his wife is using before we judge if the product is safe.

Whether it's appropriate is another question. Many westerners like brown skin, but my skin never turns brown -- it always burns in the sun. The Citra "whitening" products serve as a better (and cheaper) sunscreen for me than the imported sunscreens with actual SPF ratings listed.

We ladies have discussed this topic before. Some of the whitening creams from unregulated places can contain ingredients that are deadly, such as mercury which gives a lovely pale, silvery hue to the skin. On the other end of the specturm, the cheaper body lotions from big companies that claim whitening properties are actually pretty good sunscreens. I use one from Citra, a common Thai brand. Someone on the ladies forum posted about the ingredients and said they're perfectly safe and the only reason they don't list an SPF rating on the bottle is that the SPF rating of the sunscreen ingredient isn't long-term stable, so they can't make claims for it.

The OP should post a list of the ingredients of the product his wife is using before we judge if the product is safe.

Whether it's appropriate is another question. Many westerners like brown skin, but my skin never turns brown -- it always burns in the sun. The Citra "whitening" products serve as a better (and cheaper) sunscreen for me than the imported sunscreens with actual SPF ratings listed.

Well, the products she buy are called "Re-Brightening Night Treatment, Visible Lightening Day Creeam and Deep Whitening Facial Foam. All Labeled as POND'S. Should I be worried? :unsure:

Well, the products she buy are called "Re-Brightening Night Treatment, Visible Lightening Day Creeam and Deep Whitening Facial Foam. All Labeled as POND'S. Should I be worried? :unsure:

You should be more concerned with the racketeering industry, less the particular products. We're so easy to marketing....every which way.

On the other end of the specturm, the cheaper body lotions from big companies that claim whitening properties are actually pretty good sunscreens. I use one from Citra, a common Thai brand.

I can confirm this. Citra is about 10% the price of sunscreen and just as effective. My skin burns here in 15 minutes in the middle of the day through to late afternoon. Citra blocks the sun as well as the SPF50 cream I bought for 500B.

On the other end of the specturm, the cheaper body lotions from big companies that claim whitening properties are actually pretty good sunscreens. I use one from Citra, a common Thai brand.

I can confirm this. Citra is about 10% the price of sunscreen and just as effective. My skin burns here in 15 minutes in the middle of the day through to late afternoon. Citra blocks the sun as well as the SPF50 cream I bought for 500B.

My skin does not. Maybe because I do not were shorts or T-shirts at daytime. :rolleyes: