Inlaws Cleaning My Stuff

haveaniceday

Yep all my teflon pans have been thoroughly cleaned, back to raw metal, was almost as amusing as my (then) brand new stainless steel fridge having the outsides cleaned vigorously with a scouring pad......................

Thanks to an old Maid I have the only "Brushed Silver" cutlery set in Thailand - for twelve.

:angry:

Patrick

My first cleaning lady loved her scouring pad. She even used it on the tv screen. Then the second used Pledge on everything she could find. Scouring pads and Pledge are very forbidden in the household now. Live and learn.

BTW I didn't fire them for that. They left to take care of family

Edited by garycm

Wow, I know how you guys feel, it took my mother-in law less than a week to damage my newest pan.

I wonder why they are aggressive with pots, but never manage to clean anything in the house higher than eye level.

And why is there always a plastic basin in my sink taking up the whole sink space?

I went into the kitchen in our house in Rayong one day,put bread in the toaster and walked away,I could see smoke coming from the toaster,I quickly turned it off,took the bread out and looked inside.My thai step-son had made cheese on toast for the first time,he put the cheese slice on the bread and into the toaster,the stuff was all over the grill,I liked that toaster :annoyed: .I just said don,t worry,at least you tried.

Yep all my teflon pans have been thoroughly cleaned, back to raw metal, was almost as amusing as my (then) brand new stainless steel fridge having the outsides cleaned vigorously with a scouring pad......................

:cheesy: I'm not laughing at you but with you, though on second thought you're probably not laughing at all :whistling: .

Why not clean it yourself? Then you'll know it's done right!

Well, and now you know why a great many foreigners have limited household help. I found it incredible that the cleaning lady would use a harsh detergent to mop a wood floor. Even a dumb guy like me knows you dust first then use a damp mop. The freak out point for me was seeing the woman sprinkle the abrasive cleaning powder into the ceramic toilet bowl, take the toilet brush and then start scrubbing everything, from the toilet bowl to the seat. My bum goes on that seat :angry:. This is why I like alot of others take the long winded thread on "servants to have" with a few tylenols. B)

One thing I make sure about is that animal food bowls and water dishes are cleaned by me. The last thing I need is a poisoned best friend.

. I found it incredible that the cleaning lady would use a harsh detergent to mop a wood floor. Even a dumb guy like me knows you dust first then use a damp mop.

I once came home to the hostel where I was staying in Taipei, Taiwan, to find the American girl ( who incidentally had been to university ) who was the temporary manager mopping the vinyl tiled living room floor with chlorine bleach. There was no ventilation. Poor Belinda.....I remember her well......she had tears streaming down her face from the chlorine fumes, and I gently took the mop from her hands, led her outside and explained about chlorine. So this phenomenon is not confined to uneducated cleaning ladies in Asia. We humans can be ignorant or even plain stupid anywhere !

Edited by Latindancer

:cheesy: I'm not laughing at you but with you, though on second thought you're probably not laughing at all :whistling: .

cheesy.gif

A old black cast iron pot or skillet will keep them busy for a while. They have not got mine back to grey color bu its not lack of trying. I have to re-season every time they visit.

Where did you get your frying pan? I've been looking for one of those.

If you meat a Cast iron skillet, True Value (can google it) has them in different sizes.

Why not clean it yourself? Then you'll know it's done right!

No point in having a dog and barking yourself.........................

Another good one, you're on a roll.. :cheesy: I don't have a dog though so I have to bark :mellow: ..

I know it seems a small thing but it's one of many similar and I love the Mrs. to bits but I came over here with a very specific amount of possessions to make our life easier and more comfortable and since I had to pay for at least half a shipping container anyway as I had too much to ship by air being prohibitively expensive. I shipped some other things like cookware and such that was really new and first rate stuff..

One of those things was a special measuring cup the likes of which I've not seen here in Thailand and it's very useful and handy but not indestructible though supposed to last years. Within a few weeks I noticed the numbers already fading considerably on the side of the formerly clear plastic outer portion where the measures are printed and wondered about it until I reasoned from the scratches that she was using the scrubby side of the sponge instead of the soft sponge side to wash it with and thus removing the measures, now half of it is virtually useless when it's supposed to get years of good use :( ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

. I found it incredible that the cleaning lady would use a harsh detergent to mop a wood floor. Even a dumb guy like me knows you dust first then use a damp mop.

I once came home to the hostel where I was staying in Taipei, Taiwan, to find the American girl ( who incidentally had been to university ) who was the temporary manager mopping the vinyl tiled living room floor with chlorine bleach. There was no ventilation. Poor Belinda.....I remember her well......she had tears streaming down her face from the chlorine fumes, and I gently took the mop from her hands, led her outside and explained about chlorine. So this phenomenon is not confined to uneducated cleaning ladies in Asia. We humans can be ignorant or even plain stupid anywhere !

Even much worse if she had used any other cleaners with an acid in them you may well have been just remembering her...

Some funny stories here. Keep them coming. I always enjoy a good laugh. Fortunately, I don't suffer these problems. I'm single and do all my own cooking. Even when I was married I did the cooking with both my wives. I intructed them not to touch my skillets. It was only when my mother in law came to stay that I was driven insane. I'm not sure I have recovered. My wife's mother was a nosey little homebody and wouldn't stay out of my kitchen. She quickly ruined all my blackened iron skillets and they quickly had rust spots. She picked my strawberres before they were ripe and left them on the window sill to turn red. It drove me crazy because my strawberry patch was only 5 steps from the kitchen door. Eventually I just moved down stairs and ate in my camper until the little biddy was gone. It took me a month to return my skillets to working tools afterwards.

I have a lot of Sticky Rice now. That lovely non-stick rice boiler worked a treat until the inner bowl was scoured. Now I have rice sticking to the bowl each time I use it.

I insisted on showing the correct method for cleaning the non-stick frying pan I brought over from the UK. That item has survived 2 years now and not one scratch. Something to do with the fact it is English and an item to be well cared for in the bosses eyes :D

Love the stories. Our mistake was to build MIL and FIL a proper ventilated kitchen with sink,taps worktop and shelves, so that they wouldn't have to cook outside over the circular charcoal fire pot and wash everything in the same plastic bowl on the ground that the chickens walk in, and drink out of all day. But of course we didn't really consult them about the upgrade - just did it. Well sure enough, 2 weeks later something apparently unrepairable happened to the kitchen taps, and the new 2 burner gas stove was never used. They now use the new kitchen to store 'brushed' cutlery, pans and even plastic boxes. Everyone including the chickens uses the big plastic bowl in the dirt, and the charcoal fire still does its thing. Strangely though, despite the dirt, MIL and FIL hardly ever get sick !?

Love the stories. Our mistake was to build MIL and FIL a proper ventilated kitchen with sink,taps worktop and shelves, so that they wouldn't have to cook outside over the circular charcoal fire pot and wash everything in the same plastic bowl on the ground that the chickens walk in, and drink out of all day. But of course we didn't really consult them about the upgrade - just did it. Well sure enough, 2 weeks later something apparently unrepairable happened to the kitchen taps, and the new 2 burner gas stove was never used. They now use the new kitchen to store 'brushed' cutlery, pans and even plastic boxes. Everyone including the chickens uses the big plastic bowl in the dirt, and the charcoal fire still does its thing. Strangely though, despite the dirt, MIL and FIL hardly ever get sick !?

Another good story, Tim. I think the mistake western people (or at least the group here) make is taking life too seriously. As a child I grew up playing in the mud, and going off all day and never returning until it got dark. We survived despite not having drugs for many of the diseases that killed off the weaklings. Mumps, measels, whooping cough, chicken pox and some nasty viruses all took their toll, but those of us that survived developed immunities and became stronger. Western children today are molly coddled to a point of ridiculousness. Every child has to be taken to school in a car. Every child has to have an adult in attendence 24 hours a day. Nobody is taught being responsible for your own actions.