Retirement Visa Bkk Or Hull

Hi,

I am a 55 yr old English Guy looking to apply for a Thai Retirement Visa for the first time.

I understand the requirements as follows ;

50 yrs of age.

800,000 Baht in Bank Funds

Police Certificate-No Criminal Record.

Medical Certificate.

+ application forms and pics.

I am coming to BKK Mid August.

My questions are ;

Is it best to apply in Hull ( as i am in England) or Thailand ?,or should I enter on a "stamp on arrival" then start the process ?

Will the Visa office acccept evidence of funds ( equivalent) in a UK bank account,or do I have to open a Thai Bank Account and deposit funds there ?

Regarding the Police Cert,and Medical Cert,I understand they should be no more than 3 months old.Do I have to get these certs notorised.?

Is there anything I have missed ?.

Many Thanks and Regards.

If applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa for retirement you cannot apply at Hull.

You can only apply at the Thai Embassy in London.

You do need a Police and Medical report.

Money in a UK bank

Fee. Single Entry £45. Multi Entry £100

Details.

You can apply for a Non Imm O Visa in Hull and when in Thailand apply for a 12 month extension for retirement. No Police or Medical reports needed.

Money in a Thai bank.

1,900 Baht fee. (£38)

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

As said Hull can not issue a retirement visa. He applies at the Embassy in London if obtaining in the UK. Otherwise he can obtain extension of stay in Thailand of a non immigrant visa entry (which can be issued in Bangkok by Immigration for 2,000 baht) in the process of retirement extension of stay. But if going that route it would be best to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to travel to be sure airline will allow one way travel.

As said Hull can not issue a retirement visa. He applies at the Embassy in London if obtaining in the UK. Otherwise he can obtain extension of stay in Thailand of a non immigrant visa entry (which can be issued in Bangkok by Immigration for 2,000 baht) in the process of retirement extension of stay. But if going that route it would be best to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to travel to be sure airline will allow one way travel.

Thanks for the replies,so in summary is it considered the best route that I go to Hull,secure a "single entry non immigrant O visa",then apply for a retirement extension in Thailand.?

ps,I am quite happy to travel to Hull its only an hour or so from where I live,

Many Thanks

I obtained a Non-o visa here in the states and converted it to a retirement extension of stay at Bangkok Immigration. The process was not painful at all except for the time spent at immigration about 4 hours. There seemed to be a lot of line jumpers that day(agents).

I used the monthly income of 65,000baht with a letter from the Embassy. I had all of my paper work in order with a brokerage statement for proof of address if asked for. Once I was called by the immigration officer it only took about 30 min. to recieve the extension of stay. Very professional and no complaints from me about the process, I was just unlucky to be there on a day when a lot of agents decided to show up.

I also obtained a multiply permisson to leave and that took about 30 mins. as well

There are many naysayers here and maybe they had a bad experience or didn't have all of the required documents in hand but all of my dealings with immigration in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have been very professional and helpful.

I would recommend getting the non-o visa and then extend in Bangkok very easy and pain free. Kbank is very easy to set up an account with just have a local address not a hotel

Edited by moe666

That would be the easiest way in my view.

Just make sure you get the money in a bank as soon as possible. It has to be there 2 months before you apply.

+1

Thanks,just wanted to clarify...can I take a recent account statement showing the monies deposited for several months in sterling in a uk bank ?

and at what point do they want to see the monies in thai baht in a thai bank,is that required at a later stage of the process eg,when i am in Thailand ?

Many Thanks.

Get your bank account as soon as possible and they require money in Thai Bank 2 months before first extension of stay and 3 months after that. For the non-o visa they may want to see your bank statement to ensure you have the money to support yourself for the 3 months of the visa.

The consulate in Portland, Orgen requested my account statement to ensure enough money to live on while in Thailand for the duration of the visa.

Edited by moe666

Thanks,just wanted to clarify...can I take a recent account statement showing the monies deposited for several months in sterling in a uk bank ?

and at what point do they want to see the monies in thai baht in a thai bank,is that required at a later stage of the process eg,when i am in Thailand ?

Many Thanks.

For non-O visa based on retirement you can use UK bank account.

For extension of stay at immigrations in Thailand your money have to be in a Thai bank account for at least two months.

Second year it has to been in Thai Bank account for three months.

Many Thanks.

For nob-O visa based on retirement you can use UK bank account.

For extension of stay at immigrations in Thailand your money have to be in a Thai bank account for at least two months.

Second year it has to been in Thai Bank account for three months.

Thanks,its like dodging Elephant Traps !!

you dont have to apply straight away for your extension of stay,(retirement visa) as your o visa gives you 15 months stay (with border runs of course),as long as you convert within o criteria,i belive its 30 days before your o visa expires.

The only real advantage of a Multi Entry Non OA issued in London is

1. No Border runs - Just the 90 day check in at Immigration.

2. You can get 2 yrs out of the visa by doing a Border run and returning just before the visa expires

(re-entry permit required for 2nd year)

3. and probably most importantly no need to show funds in Thailand until you apply for your extension after the 2years.

Horses for courses really its whatever suits you best.

The Non OA can only be issued by the Thai Embassy in London and you must attend in person.

The documents you mentioned Police Report, medical report statements etc must be notarised by a Notary Solicitor...

So there are a few more hurdles to jump, I used this route when I came but then we were getting much better interest on savings in England compared to now.

The OP is talking about getting a SINGLE entry O visa in England and then a retirement extension in Thailand. No border runs ... just like the O-A.

Thanks,its all so difficult to "nail down" and to be honest,understand the process.Ideally then, I would go to Hull,rather than London,and get a multi entry O visa,is this possible or the right thing to do ?

Regards

No it isn't as you intend to retire. Get a single entry O visa wherever is most convenient and will give it to you in England, and then go to Thailand and apply for the annual extension based on retirement at your local Thai immigration office in Thailand. For the first one, the Thai bank account with 800K must not go under that amount for two months before the application date. Your stay is 90 days on the single entry so get the money in there quickly. You can apply for the extension up to the very last day, but 30 days early is common and accepted.

Also this is very important -- you need to check with your bank(s) about how you can do SWIFT transfers from abroad into your Thai bank account. Some banks offer easy online options, sometimes they want you to sign an agreement in person while you are still in England. You need to know the policies for your specific banks before you go and get this setup if it requires setup. Otherwise, you'll have to fly back just to transfer money.

Edited by Jingthing

No it isn't as you intend to retire. Get a single entry O visa wherever is most convenient and will give it to you in England, and then go to Thailand and apply for the annual extension based on retirement at your local Thai immigration office in Thailand. For the first one, the Thai bank account with 800K must not go under that amount for two months before the application date. Your stay is 90 days on the single entry so get the money in there quickly. You can apply for the extension up to the very last day, but 30 days early is common and accepted.

Also this is very important -- you need to check with your bank(s) about how you can do SWIFT transfers from abroad into your Thai bank account. Some banks offer easy online options, sometimes they want you to sign an agreement in person while you are still in England. You need to know the policies for your specific banks before you go and get this setup if it requires setup. Otherwise, you'll have to fly back just to transfer money.

Thanks for such a clear,direct response,the fog of mystery of how this all works is clearing,I am really grateful for all this advice.

OP

If you did go the '0-A' route the Police Report takes at least 6 weeks to get in the UK..

Depends where you live now in the UK, Birmingham + Cardiff Thai Consulates are also good and maybe closer to you, all do a Postal Service, just phone them

And when you have all the above done,

make sure when you apply in Thailand for your extension to your retirment visa

you can show proof of the address where your applying for ( Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai,)

Wish you luck

Pat

The OP is talking about getting a SINGLE entry O visa in England and then a retirement extension in Thailand. No border runs ... just like the O-A.

Thanks,its all so difficult to "nail down" and to be honest,understand the process.Ideally then, I would go to Hull,rather than London,and get a multi entry O visa,is this possible or the right thing to do ?

Regards

It is whatever suits you.

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa will give you up to 15 months in Thailand but would need a border run every 90 days.

If you intend to apply for the extension soon after arriving in Thailand it would be more cost affective to arrive with a single entry Non Imm O Visa.

If you did go the '0-A' route the Police Report takes at least 6 weeks to get in the UK..

Depends where you live now in the UK, Birmingham + Cardiff Thai Consulates are also good and maybe closer to you, all do a Postal Service, just phone them

I live near Derby,I was only thinking of Hull as it seems to get good references,but no real preference,just a further question,is it more appropriate to go in person to apply rather than by post,

I have happy to make the trip if so.

Regards OP

Regards

It is whatever suits you.

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa will give you up to 15 months in Thailand but would need a border run every 90 days.

If you intend to apply for the extension soon after arriving in Thailand it would be more cost affective to arrive with a single entry Non Imm O Visa.

Thanks,I would much rather avoid the recurring 90 day border run,should I go for the single entry Non Imm O Visa ?

Regards OP

As Lite beer said, If your plan is to apply for the 1 year extension right away, than it will be fine (and a bit cheaper) to get a single non-O.

Its just as people say, pain free and easy and its how you want to proceed at the end of the day. As I said the biggest advantage with the OA is not showing funds in Thailand for 2 years but if you have already decided to settle here then the extra hoops you have to jump thro are not worth the hassle.

As I said before you qualify on all counts so its upto you which way you want to proceed.

Jingthing also gives some good advice re SWIFT transfers, some banks are a hassle to deal with, Im with Nationwide and although 25 quid a time their online transfers are hassle free. Halifax also has a good name, its worth spending a bit of time sorting this out.

I also retired here at 55, been here 3 yrs now and never looked back!!

Good luck & safe Journey

Edited by Tafia

As Lite beer said, If your plan is to apply for the 1 year extension right away, than it will be fine (and a bit cheaper) to get a single non-O.

Its just as people say, pain free and easy and its how you want to proceed at the end of the day. As I said the biggest advantage with the OA is not showing funds in Thailand for 2 years but if you have already decided to settle here then the extra hoops you have to jump thro are not worth the hassle.

As I said before you qualify on all counts so its upto you which way you want to proceed.

Jingthing also gives some good advice re SWIFT transfers, some banks are a hassle to deal with, Im with Nationwide and although 25 quid a time their online transfers are hassle free. Halifax also has a good name, its worth spending a bit of time sorting this out.

Good luck & safe Journey

Thanks Tafia,I,ve got a Barclays International Bank Account,I checked I can do " Swift" transfers through that,now I have decided what I am doing I cannot wait,I know it will not be an easy road and I will face lonely times........but I am through with the UK,yes totally sick of it.

You have all of the info you need, just make up your mind what you want to do. Its half a dozen one or the other. The non o converted to retirement extension of stay is very easy and hassel free

Good luck & safe Journey

Thanks Tafia,I,ve got a Barclays International Bank Account,I checked I can do " Swift" transfers through that,now I have decided what I am doing I cannot wait,I know it will not be an easy road and I will face lonely times........but I am through with the UK,yes totally sick of it.

I know what you mean I planned for some time and after many years holidaying here but took heed what others told me on forums like this that a holiday is completely different to settling but you will be surprised how easy once you know its what you want.

Re the SWIFT ensure they allow online banking and you can do your transfers on line saves a lot of grief.

I'm in Udon Thani if you ever get up this way...Good Luck Mate.

Edited by Tafia

Good luck & safe Journey

I know what you mean I planned for some time and after many years holidaying here but took heed what others told me on forums like this that a holiday is completely different to settling but you will be surprised how easy once you know its what you want.

Re the SWIFT ensure they allow online banking and you can do your transfers on line saves a lot of grief.

I'm in Udon Thani if you ever get up this way...Good Luck Mate.

Thanks Tafia,Yes like you did.. I have been holidaying in Thailand for years,regarding settling down,the contributors to these posts have been an invaluable source of wisdom,information,and support and have helped my confidence hugely in taking this large step.

If I ever get to Udon Thani,I will "get the beers in",thanks and regards..........................