Gas Water Heater

Gonsalviz

I am looking for a gas instant water heater. I have found 1 but am skeptical of the capacity. 5 litres/ min. The same company (I am not sure of) used to have a 7 litre model but it is no longer available.

I am planning on having to fill a jacuzzi and occasionally a possibility of 2 showers running at the same time.

Does anyone know what capacity would be sufficient and if I need a larger model, where would I look?

I've bought one from Globalhouse but they do have it at Homepro and probably the others also . It was just below the 6000 baht mark and has 10kw power . The brand name is Mazuma model , i do not remember . 10 kw is plenty for a hot tub and a shower at the same time ( or very cold water ) . Normal water heaters are 3500 watt , a bathtub heater is 6 to 8 kw ( elec models ) .

Homepro did have it on display while Globalhouse i did have to ask if they had it . Any big store like those 2 ( Homemart , Boonthavorn , Homeworks ...) will more then probably have it .

I've bought one from Globalhouse but they do have it at Homepro and probably the others also . It was just below the 6000 baht mark and has 10kw power . The brand name is Mazuma model , i do not remember . 10 kw is plenty for a hot tub and a shower at the same time ( or very cold water ) . Normal water heaters are 3500 watt , a bathtub heater is 6 to 8 kw ( elec models ) .

Homepro did have it on display while Globalhouse i did have to ask if they had it . Any big store like those 2 ( Homemart , Boonthavorn , Homeworks ...) will more then probably have it .

I was looking for a gas model but may have to opt for electric.

This Rheem claims 24 l/min at 25 degrees C temp rise. PDF spec.

If I've done my sums right (someone please check for me) that's the equivalent of a 42kW electric heater :)

In my travel here I've come across 3 places that used gas water heaters. A guest house in Maesai, a motel near Pranburi and the locker room at Waterford Valley golf course near Wiang Chai. Wonderful! Lots of water volume at pressure .. and hot!

I'm surprised more expats don't use gas heaters. One unit for all bathrooms plus kitchen sink and washing machine. No shock hazard. Outside gas supply plumbed to cooking apparatii as well as water. Not sure about cost of gas vs cost of electricity .. but sure beats the heck out of a 3 phase xformer .. I think?

Anyhow, I figure that if a guest house in Maesai can afford one for each room, so can I.

Edited by klikster

The 10kw model from Mazuma , which i have ,is a gas model . I only compared to the elec ones sold for bathtub and shower . 10 kw should be enough but i think they do have a stronger model of 15 kw also .

Currious, has anyone ever used one of these units ?

How reliable are they ?

My problem is that I have well water with high iron contents. All

boilers I have used so far (electric) rust through withing 18 months ...

Thanks,

rudi

The 10kw model from Mazuma , which i have ,is a gas model . I only compared to the elec ones sold for bathtub and shower . 10 kw should be enough but i think they do have a stronger model of 15 kw also .

Well where would one purchase such a unit?

• 1 month later...

I know this is 2 months late, but I just ran across this. I was in Chiang Mai a month ago and went into a store close to the old part of town that sold all sort of appliances. They had 6 different models of gas fired, individual water heaters. Two models were Thai and the other four were Japanese I believe. The least expensive, Thai, was 3700 baht and the most expensive was 9800 baht.

Gas hot water point of service units were the standard heater here 30 years ago. Very hot (in Bangkok had to block 75% of jets to keep it cool enough during most of the year). But electric has taken over now that heated water is a mass market.

The gas heaters were not vented and if someone made the mistake of closing the windows during the cool season the user often died. Not that electric without proper installation is much safer but they got a very bad reputation and were too strong for the tepid water that was normal here. They were designed for normal cold water climate of Japan. If you use a two supply mixer water system then expect they would work well - just make sure do not exhaust into room.

Well where would one purchase such a unit?

Direct from the Mazuma showroom, the one in Pattaya is on Sukhumvit Road, past North Rd. and immediately after the first PTT petrol station just before the new lights at the bypass flyover.

Sorry don't remember the location in Bangkok.

As you were asking about gas and now talking about electric be very sure you have the power for it (understand the above answer is to a two month old questions so this is likely for new readers). 10kw is going to draw over 40 amps which is almost the total capacity of most home service so if single phase power you may want to reconsider. In any event make very sure it is properly installed.

I purchased a 'A O Smith' 150 liter gas heater 15 years ago in Bangkok, shipped to CM. Plumbed the house, for 3 bath/shower and kitchen. I have the thermostat on the lowest temperature and it works great. I have seen all 3 showers being used simultaneously by the womenfolk and it handles the volume. A large gas cylinder will last for 3 to 4 months (850 baht a refill). It is placed outside the living area of the house in a enclosure with a slotted door (air supply) plus access and a vent for the heat and fumes.

As you were asking about gas and now talking about electric be very sure you have the power for it (understand the above answer is to a two month old questions so this is likely for new readers). 10kw is going to draw over 40 amps which is almost the total capacity of most home service so if single phase power you may want to reconsider. In any event make very sure it is properly installed.

I had to spend 300,000 baht to make sure my electric service go to my house site and that it can deal with what I need. (I am 2 km from the nearest main line)

I purchased a 'A O Smith' 150 liter gas heater 15 years ago in Bangkok, shipped to CM. Plumbed the house, for 3 bath/shower and kitchen. I have the thermostat on the lowest temperature and it works great. I have seen all 3 showers being used simultaneously by the womenfolk and it handles the volume. A large gas cylinder will last for 3 to 4 months (850 baht a refill). It is placed outside the living area of the house in a enclosure with a slotted door (air supply) plus access and a vent for the heat and fumes.

Excellent. 15 years is a long time but I should be able to find again. If not I'll do it the hard way.

I had to spend 300,000 baht to make sure my electric service go to my house site and that it can deal with what I need. (I am 2 km from the nearest main line)

All well and good until other properties get built in that 2kms and tap into 'your' line and suddenly you find you don't have enough electric to run a lightbulb!

I installed this gasheater on the back of my house 4 years ago. It's from HomePro and now priced at 5900 baht.

post-23049-0-39496300-1311444107_thumb.j

The hot water pipes are 1/2" copper (pvc will not do well in the long run).

Water temperature can be set by using 1, 2 or 3 burners (middle knob). Minor regulation can be done with the knob for the flame height.

It can easily run 2 showers: just turn up the water temperature, so each shower only needs a bit of hot water to mix with cold water.

Gas consumption: 16.5kg (average size gastank) per 9 months. That's with 2 people each taking 2 showers a day for about 5 minutes.

I installed this gasheater on the back of my house 4 years ago. It's from HomePro and now priced at 5900 baht.

Water temperature can be set by using 1, 2 or 3 burners (middle knob). Minor regulation can be done with the knob for the flame height.

It can easily run 2 showers: just turn up the water temperature, so each shower only needs a bit of hot water to mix with cold water.

Gas consumption: 16.5kg (average size gastank) per 9 months. That's with 2 people each taking 2 showers a day for about 5 minutes.

Exactly the same as i have and it works perfectly . It fills my bathtub in about 15 mins with hot water and is is by far not on the hottest position ( 150watt Hitachi pump powering the waterflow / hot and cold ) .

I've used a lot of on demand electric waterheaters and they might be good for a shower but most models are ugly , require huge amounts of elec ( 5/15 meter wouldn't be sufficient for a bathtub model ) etc . Mine is in the kitchen , and i just got a gasline splitter for the cooker and for my waterheater and i do not have to be afraid for electrics in my shower ( it is powered by 2 1.5 volt D cell batteries and gas ) and all the possible dangers .

If I've done my sums right (someone please check for me) that's the equivalent of a 42kW electric heater :)

I looked at it like this...there again I always struggled with Thermo.......

It takes 4.19kJ to heat 1kG of water 1 Deg C

So heat required is 4.19*24*25kJ which is 2514kJ and that is the heat required/min

So heat required per sec is 2514/60... 41.9kJ

A Joule is a watt/sec (I think) so 41.9kWs you could be correct...or we are both wrong!.............ignoring losses and assuming 1Ltr of water weighs 1kG...well it does at 4DegC.

they might be good for a shower but most models are ugly , require huge amounts of elec

Showers are what they are designed for.

Ugly? Must be in the eye of the beholder. But if limited to a western shower stall size area likely crowded.

Huge amounts of electric is just not true (at least for most users). The ratings are max value and only apply when water is flowing at hottest setting. Most people stop flow after initial wet down and use again for rinse so total time for electric draw is minimal.

But if you are talking bath tubs and such usage then the electric cost could become a major factor.

Is that unit on an OUTSIDE wall?

I will use a gas heater on my new house for showers, basins, kitchen and laundry. Gas bottles outside, where combustible gases or liquids belong .. pipe in gas for cooking.

• Makes taking a strong-flow shower realistic.
  • Takes a bit of danger away from the bathroom (shock hazard)
  • Makes the electric meter rating more manageable.