Getting Back Sinsod After Divorce

JurgenG

A friend of us is going to divorce, for problems mainly caused by the in-laws. He was really pissed off that after the money he gave them, they weren't more supportive, actually quite the opposite. it's their never ending demands that caused all the problems that eventually lead to the divorce.

We were thinking it would be fair to ask for the sinsod back. Being realistic, we know there is very little chance that it will ever happen. Does anybody ever heard of the groom getting the sinsod back after a divorce ? Just curious to know.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just happened to a friend's son. After the marriage, he moved in with the wife's family (Isaan custom/culture). A month after the marriage, the mother-in-law wanted to ship him off to Dubai (solo) for work, but for some odd reason he wanted to stay longer with his new bride. The rancorous atmosphere got so bad, he split and went back to his parents. The marriage quickly dissolved. The 100,000B sinsod? Fughettaboudit! rolleyes.gif

I've always had the understanding this was exactly what the sinsod is for - a kind of replacement for the alimony wives would get in the west that they don't get here - so of course it won't be returned.

Edited by WyattEarp

Why does every topic have to be about a friend?

Why are you asking? Don't you have any friends?

For the OP, the time to get the sin sot back is shortly after the wedding. It's 'show money' after all. Don't tell me your friend actually let the in-laws hold on to the lot?

Doesn't ANYONE read these endless sin sot posts???!!!!

Edited by NanLaew

I've always had the understanding this was exactly what the sinsod is for - a kind of replacement for the alimony wives would get in the west that they don't get here - so of course it won't be returned.

Exactly. It's so that if the man does a runner the wife isn't left homeless and broke.

Maybe if there was infidelity on the wife's part you might have an argument (although the Sinsod would probably still never be returned), but this doesn't seem to be the case here anyway.

Just happened to a friend's son. After the marriage, he moved in with the wife's family (Isaan custom/culture). A month after the marriage, the mother-in-law wanted to ship him off to Dubai (solo) for work, but for some odd reason he wanted to stay longer with his new bride. The rancorous atmosphere got so bad, he split and went back to his parents. The marriage quickly dissolved. The 100,000B sinsod? Fughettaboudit! rolleyes.gif

say 40 days 2500 baht a day.........not too bad really........I wouldn't say he was too far out of pocket.......

say 40 days 2500 baht a day.........not too bad really........I wouldn't say he was too far out of pocket.......

100 000 should be ok. for a year. Not 40 days. But then I don't know where you hang around. :rolleyes:

In your dreams.

Sin Sod is a seal of your commitment to marry and make it work. You failed so now it's the price of failure.

It might help you think it through a bit better next time.

In your dreams.

Sin Sod is a seal of your commitment to marry and make it work. You failed so now it's the price of failure.

Sin sod is just a way for an otherwise undesirable guy to get a wife. Why else would you pay knowing full well that sin sod should normally be returned (original way)

Sin sod is just a way for an otherwise undesirable guy to get a wife. Why else would you pay knowing full well that sin sod should normally be returned (original way)

Hansum man you no need pay dowry

True.. if you marry within your age and looks range you usually don't have to pay dowry. If you want a 20yo stripper while your 60 and 300lbs the chances are a lot higher you have to pay it.

Then its just something to line the pockets of the girls family. The original sin sod was returned to the couple by giving them a house and some land.

A horror-story in the making - leading to disaster.

Though, not always the universal custom to shack-up with in in-laws, a more appropriate {and safe} living arrangement will be to live within close hear-shot of her parents - build another house on familial property, or build your dream house some distance away {in the same moo baan}, etc.

Regardless of one's relationship with the in-laws, never ever consider living under the same roof with them.....

In your dreams.

Sinsod is not normally returned, that is not the original way. It is true that it is often returned when the groom is a farang and makes a big stink about it, but it says more about the Thais ability to adapt. Thais also pay sinsod, and as much as farangs.

In your dreams.

Sinsod is not normally returned, that is not the original way. It is true that it is often returned when the groom is a farang and makes a big stink about it, but it says more about the Thais ability to adapt. Thais also pay sinsod, and as much as farangs.

Just look it all up and you will see. But many don't want to see it because that means they have been shafted. Just look up the context. Before it was given back in as a house and some cattle to provide a setup for the couple.

But that has changed to rip off people.

Thais also pay sinsod, and as much as farangs.

Yep. In most cases, the amount is equal to what Farang might dish out.

And then....also similar would be the situations where sin sod is not an issue - Thai/Thai or Thai/Farang.

I think the of not investing anythng you can't afford to walk away from applies here.

I built a house for my wifes grandparents who sacrificed to raise her. They have been living there proud and comfortable for 5 years being cared for by an aunt. My wife had never been married and I think I can say for certain that I would not have paid anything had she been married or had a child.

Every situation is different. I know guys who don't pay anything or help out with support, that's fine for them but it looks more like a business relationship than a marrage. I have never regretted my decision.

Every situation is different and experence and good judgement is necessary to decide what applies to you.