Cost Of Vehicle Ownership

I'll be moving to Thailand (Ubon) in October and would like to buy an SUV/truck. Personally, I don't really need a truck...a motorbike would be fine...but I have a wife our baby will be born in November and I'll be damned if I'm going to have my baby on a motorbike. Prior to going to Thailand I'm going to get an International Driving Permit ( http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/idp.html ) so it will hopefully be easier to obtain my Thai driver's license. However, I am concerned about the amount of money associated with vehicle ownership. If I purchase the SUV/truck and pay in full, what future costs are there. I don't mean upkeep of the vehicle and gas, but rather registration fees, any taxes due other than at the time of purchase, etc.

Thanks for any information you all can provide.

Hi Transam. Could you elaborate on the "free insurance" comment? Also, is the 6/700 baht compulsory insurance a one-time payment? Is that waived if you purchase a new truck, hence the "free insurance" comment?

I'll be in Thailand 2 weeks from now for a 3 week vacation, but am really looking forward to October when I'll move there. I'll be busy once I first get to town with finding a place to live and getting settled in, but I don't think it will be too long before I can kick back and enjoy new surroundings.

Hi Transam. Could you elaborate on the "free insurance" comment? Also, is the 6/700 baht compulsory insurance a one-time payment? Is that waived if you purchase a new truck, hence the "free insurance" comment?

I'll be in Thailand 2 weeks from now for a 3 week vacation, but am really looking forward to October when I'll move there. I'll be busy once I first get to town with finding a place to live and getting settled in, but I don't think it will be too long before I can kick back and enjoy new surroundings.

When you buy a new motor you must bargain for freebies, it's expected. The free insurance for the first year is normally a selling point and you must insist on that. Government insurance is manditory and paid every year what ever other insurance you have, but is useless. We all agree here that class 1 insurance is a must for a farang to avoiding trouble :huh:.

Any probs in Ubon you can contact me by PM, glad to help. :)

Thanks for the in depth answer. I'll be sure to keep in mind I'm to bargain if I buy a new vehicle. Depending on costs, I may end up buying a reliable used vehicle though (primarily because I won't be driving all that much anyway and there are probably good deals to be had on used SUV/trucks).

I'm sure I'll have Ubon-related questions as the time to move there approaches (good hospital, where to rent a nice 2-bedroom place, etc), but I'll post those in the Issan section when the time comes. We'll have to meet up at one of the expat bars once I get settled in and my wife gives me a kitchen pass. 555!

Thanks for the in depth answer. I'll be sure to keep in mind I'm to bargain if I buy a new vehicle. Depending on costs, I may end up buying a reliable used vehicle though (primarily because I won't be driving all that much anyway and there are probably good deals to be had on used SUV/trucks).

I'm sure I'll have Ubon-related questions as the time to move there approaches (good hospital, where to rent a nice 2-bedroom place, etc), but I'll post those in the Issan section when the time comes. We'll have to meet up at one of the expat bars once I get settled in and my wife gives me a kitchen pass. 555!

Done the expat bar thing :bah:, but yeh, can come my place for a beer and game of pool. :)

(primarily because I won't be driving all that much anyway and there are probably good deals to be had on used SUV/trucks).

No probably not.. 2nd hand car and truck are expensive here..

Just for an idea, sold my 2008 [just 3 years old] Isuzu D-Max last month..... Cost new with many extras + of course 1st class insurance total 611,000 baht. So last month Insurance and road tax with just 2 weeks left + just over 200,000 km, got 430,000 baht, my new truck the deal was they gave an extra 20,000 on part exchange, so really got 450,000 baht..

***** Dealer sold it last week for 480,000 baht. [!! not a lot more to buy brand new]

Of course you would get a better 2nd hand deal if you do not buy a Isuzu or Toyota,

Edited by ignis

Transam...I know how you feel about expat bars, but I mentioned that as a meet-up spot because they're generally easy to find. But, if you'd like to have me over, that's fine too...I'm housebroken. 555

Hi Shipwreck. You made a good point about the waiting period, however I would prefer to sell my 2008 Jeep Wrangler first. It's back in the States and I'll put it up for sale when I'm there in September. Once that's sold, I'll then purchase a vehicle in Thailand.

Hi Ignis. Wow...that's an insane amount of money for a used truck...guess I'm used to U.S. prices where people are hurting for money and will sell their own grandmother if you pay in cash. I'll shop around and see what sort of deals can be had. If nothing used can be found for a decent amount, then I'll just purchase a new vehicle.

Transam...I know how you feel about expat bars, but I mentioned that as a meet-up spot because they're generally easy to find. But, if you'd like to have me over, that's fine too...I'm housebroken. 555

Hi Shipwreck. You made a good point about the waiting period, however I would prefer to sell my 2008 Jeep Wrangler first. It's back in the States and I'll put it up for sale when I'm there in September. Once that's sold, I'll then purchase a vehicle in Thailand.

Hi Ignis. Wow...that's an insane amount of money for a used truck...guess I'm used to U.S. prices where people are hurting for money and will sell their own grandmother if you pay in cash. I'll shop around and see what sort of deals can be had. If nothing used can be found for a decent amount, then I'll just purchase a new vehicle.

Here there are NO descent amounts for a used ride.

If you can, buy new, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different to the states, or the UK for that matter.

Only to happy to have a beer or if you have a problem or want to source something then PM. That goes for all you guys in our area. :)

Edited by transam

The price of a secondhand truck can be high,that's too accommodate buyers that cant get Finance through regular Finance Houses,They do sting them hard though. Its that or Walk for some.You will weep at the Prices here,if you think Stateside Prices.Dont look at the Tacoma before you leave.. Ubons a wise choice,if you play Golf the Egat Course is fine.Nissan sells better up there than anywhere else I've noticed..Happy Settelings to you.

Hi Wandrinstar. I haven't played golf in years, but a good course is a good excuse to have some beers while knocking a ball around.

I'm not sure if I would qualify for financing or not...probably not because when I move to Thailand I'll be unemployed for the first year while I complete my Bachelor's degree. At any rate, I'd rather just pay for the vehicle in cash...cheaper in the long run and one less bill to have to worry about each month.

Don't think there is any. If you buy new you get ''free'' insurance, 4 door truck is 6800bht road tax + about 6/700bht compulsory government insurance.

Welcome to Ubon. :D

Trans, you may be out of date with the road tax. My now cancelled order with the Vigo 3L Double cab Auto was 8,500 Baht road tax. The dealer offered free first year insurance but stood firm on the road tax. Tad surprised!!!??

:ph34r:

Nice one putoie2,if the Transam Man doesn't know the cost,he has integrated into Thai Culture quite well,perhaps hes forgotten.!!. But is that for a Green Plate or Black.?.In my Truck Days, a Big M Nissan,i was regularly pulled for being in the wrong lane in a borrowed truck on Greenies.Out of interest my Big M was amongst the first Jap Imports, a Single Cab,its still about with a Camry engine,its owned now by a Toyota Tuner,and looks realy cool, and the Sound is tastefull..much heavier than the home made Nissans of today, but that applies to all trucks not imported in that era.

The annual vehicle road tax (tabien rot) is calculated based on # passgengers, vehicle weight and engine capacity.

As a guide:

A 4-door 2500cc pickup costs ~4,800 Baht

A 4-door 3000cc pickup costs ~6800 Baht

A 2500cc 7-seat PPV costs ~5000 Baht.

A 3000cc 7-seat PPV (SUV) costs ~ 7000 Baht.

Your values will vary a little as each brand/variant has slightly different weights and actual CC's.

After 5 years of age, the tabien rot gets a 10% per year discount, up to a maximum discount of 50% (at 10y old)

On top of this you also have to pay for 3rd party compulsory insurance (Por Ror Bor) which varies depending on car, but expect anything between 400-900 Baht.

Phutoie2: There's almost certainly a "service charge" in the 8,500 Baht they're charging you. Nothing terribly unusual about that though - most dealers wll try to get a little extra if they can. Check the receipts afterwards to see how much they made out of you ;)

new baby on the way, just not sure why a Truck or SUV Harder to get in and out, Hard to park on tight spaces here, and very hard to drive and turn on the crowded roads and alleys. Lower fuel milage too

Many nice new cars at much less cost

Do go with the Full First class insurance, much like full ocoverage back home in the states

if you get into an accident as a falong here, it your fault reguardless, even if he is underage, drunk, and never drove before, it is your fault, because if you did not move here that accident would never of happened they say . . .

new baby on the way, just not sure why a Truck or SUV Harder to get in and out, Hard to park on tight spaces here, and very hard to drive and turn on the crowded roads and alleys. Lower fuel milage too

Many nice new cars at much less cost

Do go with the Full First class insurance, much like full ocoverage back home in the states

if you get into an accident as a falong here, it your fault reguardless, even if he is underage, drunk, and never drove before, it is your fault, because if you did not move here that accident would never of happened they say . . .

An SUV is much easier for getting a baby capsule in.out due to more natural loading height (well, unless you 140cm tall ;) ) and generally have wider door openings than smaller cars, making the capsule and baby easier to get in/out.

Farang's are not always at fault, nor automatically assumed to be at fault - that's just a popular misconception. They do tend to lose face pretty quickly in an accident situation though, which doesn't do anything to help them..

No mention if thats a green or black plate, the last 2 must be black being modified pik ups..?..

The pricers quoted are for black plate vehicle and you can go in the fast lane.:)

Mrs little car 1,500 for road.

Prices on green plates are regarded I believe as farm vehicle use are about half or less, my sister in-law pays 2,500 for road on her two door D-max.

Black Plates, are Private use

Green Plates are for Business use

Plenty of people have black plates on there pickups as they are for Private use only.. Likewise plenty of 4 door pickups on Green plates as they are covered for Business use

OK don't believe then,Thailand uses 8 different types of cars or automobiles, although there are variations in plate types.

1-7 seats private automobile 4D truck White plate Black No.

More than 7 seats private automobile White plate Blue No.

Private pickup truck / small 2D truck White plate Green No.

Taxi Yellow plate Black No.

Airport taxi / limousine Green plate White No.

Engineering vehicle Orange plate Black No.

Tuk-tuk (3-wheels taxi) Yellow plate Green No.

Personal 3-wheels vehicle White plate Red No.

Some vehicle round here Silver CD's :)

Edited by Kwasaki

OK don't believe then,Thailand uses 8 different types of cars or automobiles, although there are variations in plate types.

No that is for Business users, if it is Private it will or can be White Plate with black numbers..

No if business users then will be White plate with green numbers.

Lots of 4 door pickups with White plate with green numbers. [have 4 personal friends with 4 door pickup with green No, there Thai and also use for Business & Private]........ Likewise many 2 door pickups with White Plate with black numbers [3 house up in my Village is a 2 door Vigo with Black No]

Dark Blue plates with white numbers = Embassy cars

Dark red with black numbers = Police

No that is for Business users, if it is Private it will or can be White Plate with black numbers..

No if business users then will be White plate with green numbers.

Lots of 4 door pickups with White plate with green numbers. [have 4 personal friends with 4 door pickup with green No, there Thai and also use for Business & Private]........ Likewise many 2 door pickups with White Plate with black numbers [3 house up in my Village is a 2 door Vigo with Black No]

Dark Blue plates with white numbers = Embassy cars

Dark red with black numbers = Police

Dunno maybe your right, my info came from a government site.

Think we may need some confirmation from someone who knows the official gen!.

I personally have never seen (up here in Phetchabun) a 2 door pickup truck with black numbers on the plates.

My last two trucks, both Nissan Kingcabs have had the green numbers on the plates and we do not run a business!.

I thought it was done on amount of seats, ours being officially two.

So it is taxed as a commercial vehicle, the annual road tax is about 1050 Baht.

Just looked at our neighbours trucks, all Soi farmers, again green numbers/white plates on two door spacecabs/smartcabs etc.

My accountant always told me that a 4 door pick up can't be deducted as business vehicle.If 2 doors no problem.

Who determines business use or not ?

My Pick up has green #'s on white plates and has only ever been for private use (Iam second owner, original was an elderly retired gent.)

My Pick up has green #'s on white plates and has only ever been for private use (I am second owner, original was an elderly retired gent.)

As previous post before you say, if only people that are being so assertive would explain.

My Pick up has green #'s on white plates and has only ever been for private use (Iam second owner, original was an elderly retired gent.)

Is your pick up registered in company name?

I have no idea but just got back from the local Market, looked to see, out of about 50 pickups, 11x 2 door all makes and ages were white with black letters, the rest were green.. 4x 4 door pickups had green, the others black, oddly noticed 2 pickups with black had company logo's on them..

Was always told:

Black Plates, are Private use..

Green Plates are for Business use..

Friend had wrong plates on about 6 years ago, I was in the pickup, we were pulled in at a Check point, had to pay a fine because he had stuff in the back + wrong plates.

Is your pick up registered in company name?

No, although the guy I bought it off may of had it registered under the "company" who owned his house, was his name in the book though, not a company one.