Rubber Trees

Missus was in her village yesterday. Was told cup was being bought locally on the gate at 43 baht per kg, and sold at auction in Bung Khan for 46 baht per kg. We sell on Wed so i'll keep you informed. Output slowing down now, maybe two more sales. Fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...

# Misinformation in the above post. Winning buyer was from the deep south, a std middleman, first time auction winner up here. Apparently a bit of a nightmare, only 3 trucks instead of 9/10, low amount of staff, hence an incredible slow turnover. Some people (number 400 odd in the queue system) did'nt get weighed and paid until the following day. That's 36 hours after the start of W&P!

# Auction yesterday was won by the same buyer.

# Sold cup at the above auction, 42.20 baht per kg.

# One more 2 week session on the oldest trees. Younger trees stopped for this season.

• 2 weeks later...

well it is that time of year again.... just this afternoon had another fire rip through the trees, banged 10 rai into 5 ish rai..... fella next door lost 30 plus rai on top of loss from other year...... massive fire that started a couple of villages away  before it hit our trees, I saw the smoke but was lazy to go have a look.... wife almost lost a motorbike this time, fairing nicely burnt.... with a bit of luck will get the last of the trees dug out end of the year and rent the remained of this land out...... the best investment I have ever made, the rubber tree.....

out enf

• Like 1

On 22/02/2017 at 7:47 PM, thoongfoned said:

well it is that time of year again.... just this afternoon had another fire rip through the trees, banged 10 rai into 5 ish rai..... fella next door lost 30 plus rai on top of loss from other year...... massive fire that started a couple of villages away  before it hit our trees, I saw the smoke but was lazy to go have a look.... wife almost lost a motorbike this time, fairing nicely burnt.... with a bit of luck will get the last of the trees dug out end of the year and rent the remained of this land out...... the best investment I have ever made, the rubber tree.....

out enf

I feel for you... Must be a nightmare. Fires are a real danger at this time of year and the next couple of months. Accidental or deliberate getting out of control. Be careful out there. Sounds like out your way it is a real problem.

Surprised you haven't been asked yo be a mod Mike, I was after my holiday, by the same guy who gave me the holiday. "We like your posting style" 555

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

wife came home last night and said she has managed to sell the last of the standing rubber trees, about 300 burnt/fire damaged and 300 ish ok trees, all about 11/12 years old, not that big but ok for village thai standards. just 20 baht each/12,000 baht the lot. the guys that cut the eucalptus are the ones cutting/buying. better then nothing like the last 2000 plus that went for charcoal........

macro is on standby to take the stumps out, to be planted with sugar cane later in the year..... will be good to see them go!

just come back from the trees with the wife, she has managed to get the price up to 15,000 baht now, said i had been moaning.......... picked up a few of the larger cut up trees, they are not that heavy/dense?  the euca that i was cutting down the other day were alot heavier and the trees were not size of these rubber trees. the burnt trees are still oozing sap that is why the men were willing to buy them, when they are dried right out they do not want to know, or so he said.....

looked at the rubber books the other day, we bought the saplings from 25 baht each going upto 35 baht plus delivery from a fare distance, so all said not a bad investment i made here.555

• Like 1

yes i was surprised at the weight. the tree had been cut into small pieces (like they do the euca) 2m ish, the couple i put in the lorry were the very bottom of the tree, 60/70cm wide ect,could see the rubber dripping out, no more than 30kg each bit. these trees had been fire/heat damaged a short time ago.... the other a day i was clearing the trees under/around the electric cables at the farm and the euca that i cut was much heavier at half the size of tree.........

maybe the rubber tree are of such a bad state that they almost feel hollow...... the guy next doorhas sold his burnt rubber trees to a different "firm" about same money 1000 ish tree 20,000 baht, his trees are a little smaller than the wifes...  who says size dont matter... the wife got paid out this morning, thats the childrens money for new year coming up.....

• Like 1

had another look out there, the larger trunks are more like 1.2m not 2m....... some ny be a little heavier then 30kg but not by much..... they are transporting the wood in the, tactac trucks, high sided job, would think you could only get a little over 2 ton in one, they are going out 2-3rds full, dont think they could pull more over uneven ground.....

• Like 1

had another look out there, the larger trunks are more like 1.2m not 2m....... some ny be a little heavier then 30kg but not by much..... they are transporting the wood in the, tactac trucks, high sided job, would think you could only get a little over 2 ton in one, they are going out 2-3rds full, dont think they could pull more over uneven ground.....

I feel youv made the ryt move. As sad as it is. Originally your area was a sugar cane and rice area. It was the government that planted a dream in peoples heads . Then the poor farmers lost 6 or so years of income.spent a lot of money planting yang. When really they wouldve been far better off to stick with what they were doing. Getting income every year.
Sighhh tit.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 8:48 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Last sale of the season last week.. Sold cup at auction  43.00 baht per kg.

Now cups hung on wires, panels painted, good tidy up on the land, and we go again early-mid April.

Broke all production and monies in records this season. If prices stay similar this season (35-40 baht per kg) will break them again.

OT. Late posting due to TVF Gestapo (moderators) considering me a naughty boy and banning me for a few days. Time to stop replying in the general news/opinions sections to the low standard of many posters on this forum who are racist and offensive to people in this country which equates to insulting my wife and kids. That is apparently allowed, but biting back is not. Better not bite. Best not reply. Stick to the Farming and Motorcycles forums...

Keep it quiet thaiguzzi. Lots of ignorant folks on TV don't know there are an awful lot of good people in Issan and it's a lovely place to live. Let them wallow in Pattaya, Hua Hin and other tourist ghettos, the fools.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cobbler said:

I feel youv made the ryt move. As sad as it is. Originally your area was a sugar cane and rice area. It was the government that planted a dream in peoples heads . Then the poor farmers lost 6 or so years of income.spent a lot of money planting yang. When really they wouldve been far better off to stick with what they were doing. Getting income every year.
Sighhh tit.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

i agree, afew of the larger land holding families around us have had sugar in the ground since well before i had my first visit to the village (15 plus years) these same families still farm cane, but on much larger scale now...

the rubber tree idea came from me, at the start it was just somthing to do/put in the land, at the time of planting (we/family were in europe) and it was just a "cheap" project.... i used say the cost of the vits/labor is so low here, but over the years with inflation/rising living costs ect it turned into an expensive "hobby" - getting a tractor on finance did not help either.5555

to be honest we have not even seen a small return on the investment, still its only money, lesson learned, till the next project.....

the people i feel for are the ones that are not in a postion to forget the money that has been spent, let alone the time, like the family next door to the wifes farm, they have  also seen very little return on there trees (10 years old) also....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah you gotta do it right and stick at it.

Season just gone was our 6th cutting season, trees 13 y/o.

Takings were just shy of a mil TB.

Nett profit after everything, the Mrs earned just over half a mil.

Oh, for prices to stay around and above 40 TB this year...

60 TB per kg for cup, we'd probably go over to sheet, new motorcycle for me, hols for the family... dreamin...

How many trees?

23 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

4000 odd. Different ages. 3 plots turned into 2. Total trees  about 4900, ie 700-900 still not tapped.

Will do another count next month.

Nice one.

Fertilizing. Missus just got back from farm shop next door. Says advised to dig holes between rows every 3m about 10" deep and add fertilizer. Cover back up.

Any advice on that? 

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah you gotta do it right and stick at it.

Season just gone was our 6th cutting season, trees 13 y/o.

Takings were just shy of a mil TB.

Nett profit after everything, the Mrs earned just over half a mil.

Oh, for prices to stay around and above 40 TB this year...

60 TB per kg for cup, we'd probably go over to sheet, new motorcycle for me, hols for the family... dreamin...

can not moan at that per year year in year out, for the most part of the year the price was still depressed (our tappers were not willing to work for quoted prices per kg) if you have no large bills ie banks or cars ect. a family can easily get by on that sort of money up here.

rubber is a time "thing" and your trees still have plenty of time to bring in the high earnings when prices are good to fair, would be nice to see the price start back off at where it left you in feb.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Nice one.

Fertilizing. Missus just got back from farm shop next door. Says advised to dig holes between rows every 3m about 10" deep and add fertilizer. Cover back up.

Any advice on that? 

thats the sort of thing we have done in the past with shop bought vits and also pig/cow manure.