Thai Driver'S License In Us

islandguy

I'm planning to be in the States later this year and both my US state license and International Driver's License have expired, leaving me with my Thai Drivers License. I would want to rent a car while I am there, and probably drive one of my parent's cars as well. Anybody have experience with this? I have looked at threads saying the International Driver's License is not the way to go. My Thai license has English as well as Thai. Also, I have not updated my old gold card profile with Hertz, or rented from them in the last 3 years, any experience with this? I would be driving in California, Hawaii, and possibly Nevada. Thanks for sharing your experiences or knowledge.

I would suggest you contact the state drivers license office in the state where your American license expired and ask them or stop into a local DL office upon your arrival. It is important that you look into this before driving anything because if for some reason your DL became suspended which sometimes happens when you fail to renew your auto insurance. In your case that is a possibility if you did not notify them at the time you sold you car before coming to Thailand. A driving on suspended license is a criminal offense and could result in a trip to the local jail until you post bond. You should be able to look up the drivers license office to the state you were licensed in on the Internet. Give them a call and ask them about your drivers license status and if you can now drive on a Thai license in your state while visiting. This may save you a lot of pain and at the very least will give you peace of mind.

A driving on suspended license is a criminal offense and could result in a trip to the local jail until you post bond. You should be able to look up the drivers license office to the state you were licensed in on the Internet. Give them a call and ask them about your drivers license status and if you can now drive on a Thai license in your state while visiting. This may save you a lot of pain and at the very least will give you peace of mind.

But if the OP was driving on a valid Thai license, he would not be driving on a suspended license would he ?...:whistling:

Although not the US have driven on a Thai license & IDP based on a Thai DL in countries where I still have drivers licenses with no problem...I really cant see it being a problem

A driving on suspended license is a criminal offense and could result in a trip to the local jail until you post bond. You should be able to look up the drivers license office to the state you were licensed in on the Internet. Give them a call and ask them about your drivers license status and if you can now drive on a Thai license in your state while visiting. This may save you a lot of pain and at the very least will give you peace of mind.

But if the OP was driving on a valid Thai license, he would not be driving on a suspended license would he ?...:whistling:

Although not the US have driven on a Thai license & IDP based on a Thai DL in countries where I still have drivers licenses with no problem...I really cant see it being a problem

Exactly.

With regards rental they will not allow the customer to get a vehicle without a valid licence. I have no US experience so I cant say about Thai licence validity but I know from experience that numerous western countries have a reciprocal arrangement.

As long as he is not a resident. Then the rules change and he needs a valid licence from that State.

So do you qualify as a non resident?

why dont you just get a new international licence before you go, 500 baht. in UK i can use Thai international licence to rent, so i guess US should be same, although i drove in the USA a lot and they always let me have rentals on UK licence.

Exactly.

With regards rental they will not allow the customer to get a vehicle without a valid licence. I have no US experience so I cant say about Thai licence validity but I know from experience that numerous western countries have a reciprocal arrangement.

As long as he is not a resident. Then the rules change and he needs a valid licence from that State.

But a Thai DL with the accompanying Thai IDP would be considered a valid DL for the purposes of hiring a car in the US, irrespective of the OP's citizenship, what do Thai nationals do if they go on holiday ?...your saying they cant hire a car...they can..

Being resident or non-resident is irrelevant in this case.

why dont you just get a new international licence before you go, 500 baht. in UK i can use Thai international licence to rent, so i guess US should be same, although i drove in the USA a lot and they always let me have rentals on UK licence.

Think the IDP the OP refers to is based on his expired US license, therefore would have to get an IDP based on his Thai DL (provided its a 5 year one of course)

Exactly.

But a Thai DL with the accompanying Thai IDP would be considered a valid DL for the purposes of hiring a car in the US, irrespective of the OP's citizenship, what do Thai nationals do if they go on holiday ?...your saying they cant hire a car...they can..

Being a resident or a non-resident of a state within the U.S. does make a difference in terms of driving privileges within that state, the individual DMV does apply differrent rules in this circumstance, for a resident and a non-resident.

And in terms of an expired DL, if it is over a year, person would normally be required to pass both written and road test all over again but with some leniency.... as I was informed over the international call.

Also the person needs to bring passport or other approved travel doc to prove the case.

(and now you have heard the rest of the story from paul harvey.... :D one of my heroes)

I had a California D.L. that was to expire a week after I landed in Los Angeles ( Avis would not accept my Cal licence). I called AVIS and asked them if they would accept my 5 year Thai D.L. Their answer was "no problem IF I also had an International D.L." I then drove into Bangkok to the Land and Transport dept. paid 500 baht and gave a picture and I was good to go. Landed in Los Angeles went to the Avis counter picked up my waiting rental with no problems at all. Hope this helps

Exactly.

No, could be relevant.

Being a US resident he would need a US permit, being a non US resident the Thai permit with IDP would be sufficient.

Son-in-law's a CHP officer, his quote:

Section 12504(e) Subject to Section 12504, a person over the age of 16 years who is a resident of a foreign jurisdiction other than a state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or Canada, having a valid driver’s license issued to him or her by any other foreign jurisdiction having licensing standards deemed by the Department of Motor Vehicles equivalent to those of this state, may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a license from the department, except that he or she shall obtain a license before being employed for compensation by another for the purpose of driving a motor vehicle on the highways.

OK to drive...but....if stopped, they will check current status of CA DL or "any" DL. The have the legal right and duty to check a persons I.D. to make sure you are not wanted anywhere. They will start asking all types of questions. If DL expired they will probably ask you to show proof of where you "really" live. Passport acceptable. But why go through the hassel? If you have a IDL and your passport your on your way, no questions. Plus all car rentals, hotels, etc will accept it...or should. Applies to most states.

So in my mind why even question it. Get an IDL no hassels!

I have numerous times rented a car at sf airport using my thai drivers license, Last time was in July last year,

reason was for 2 years my ca license had expired and couldn't be bothred renewing it.

Was stopped once for speeding in Ca and gave my Thai licnse , he aksed if i lived there and I said yes and no problem and no ticket

Edited by phuketrichard

Was stopped once for speeding in Ca and gave my Thai licnse , he aksed if i lived there and I said yes and no problem and no ticket

That can happen too. Officers have lots of discretion on whether or not to cite.

Two years ago I rented a car from Budget for a week or so, showed them my Thai drivers licence and a Bangkok Bank debit card and had the car in minutes. I drove in seven different states during that time.

I'm planning to be in the States later this year and both my US state license and International Driver's License have expired, leaving me with my Thai Drivers License.

You may still be able to renew your U.S. state license (in MA you can renew an expired license up to 12 months after expiration), and you may be able to do it via the internet. I know MA allows one (1) renewal via the internet before requiring an in-office renewal (update picture, eye test, etc.). So conceivably you could renew via the internet, maybe using a parental address, then they could re-mail the license to you in Thailand.

I did find this...obviously every state is/may be different...

If you are a visitor from another country, you may drive private passenger vehicles in

Massachusetts for up to one year from your date of arrival in the United States provided you

have a valid driver's license issued by your home country and your country is recognized

under one of the conventions listed in Appendix A or the Registrar has specifically granted

driving privileges to residents of your country as detailed in Appendix A. An International

Driver's Permit is not required, but the permit may help provide an English translation of your

foreign license. The International Driver’s Permit is not a driver’s license.

Thailand is listed in Appendix A.

Edited by lomatopo

I am a US citizen living in Thailand and I go back to the US at least 4 times a year on business and each time I rent a car using my Thai driving license. You do not need to show a passport or an International Drivers License to the rental company. The only thing you should do is make sure you have insurance coverage.

I am a US citizen living in Thailand and I go back to the US at least 4 times a year on business and each time I rent a car using my Thai driving license. You do not need to show a passport or an International Drivers License to the rental company. The only thing you should do is make sure you have insurance coverage.

Surely, you do not appear to be lost in any sense of the word.... LOL

Perhaps, you could tell us which state were you renting your vehicles and which rental group, pls? :)

California and also Ontario and Quebec Canada. I always use National.

Perhaps, you could tell us which state were you renting your vehicles and which rental group, pls? :)

California and also Ontario and Quebec Canada. I always use National.

thx for widening my horizon. was worried too much about my expired license, needlessly; now that I know how others are surviving with their expired DL. many thx. :jap:

Thanks all for the helpful replies based on personal experience. I am reassured that the Thai driver's license will be fine, but it seems prudent to call the last place I had a license in the states to check on my status since it is pretty easy to not realize you have some kind of old parking ticket or perhpaps even some kind of mandatory insurance snafu as brought up by one poster. The IDF seems to not be necessay but I will probably pick up one anyway if it is not too much trouble.

Has anybody got a Hertz Gold Card profile with their Thai license on it? Any problems updating to that info?

Recommend the OP contact Hertz Gold Card direct and inquire with them about changing the info on the Gold Card, and how it would effect the rental procedure.

Check with your State's Motor Vehicle License Dept and see if you can renew you expired license on the internet (I renewed a expired license this way) or by mail and have it sent to your home address in the States. If you are denied a rental car, then at lest you could get to your residence, retrieve the License and pick up a rental car.

The Driver's license rules for many rental companies is ambiguous to having a Valid License issued by your Home Country.

It could be interpreted differently by different rental comapnies or agents and managers.

If you establish a local residence according to California law, within 10 days you are required to obtain a CDL.

The rental companies can rent or not, depending on that person's interpretation of their company rules.

A International License is not required for California for foreign licenses (especially those with easy to read English).

A Police Officer would naturally be more suspicious of your Thai DL if you are not Thai.

So best if you are a Calif, NV or Hawaiian resident, just go get a new CDL while there as soon as you can to avoid any potential hastles.

You are within the law to drive on a Thai License, but it could be a hastle with an officer or agent that is not familiar with the exact rules.

Edited by KimoMax

I would suggest you contact the state drivers license office in the state where your American license expired and ask them or stop into a local DL office upon your arrival. It is important that you look into this before driving anything because if for some reason your DL became suspended which sometimes happens when you fail to renew your auto insurance. In your case that is a possibility if you did not notify them at the time you sold you car before coming to Thailand. A driving on suspended license is a criminal offense and could result in a trip to the local jail until you post bond. You should be able to look up the drivers license office to the state you were licensed in on the Internet. Give them a call and ask them about your drivers license status and if you can now drive on a Thai license in your state while visiting. This may save you a lot of pain and at the very least will give you peace of mind.

I learned this option that most people are unaware of. My home state is Oregon, and I don't know if other states do or do not have the same convenience. I called a DMV from Thailand, explained I was living out of country TEMPORARILY, and my Or license expired. They gave me their site that I could pay online for renewal, and receive a drivers license with no photo, good for 5 yrs. Stipulation being, upon return to Oregon, I have 30 days to go in and exchange for a license with photo. You might inquire with your state if that option is open to you.

Sorry: you are not supposed to drive on an International Licence in your OWN country. Read the booklet of the IDD. As for the rental company, they may appreciate more or less positively a THAI DRIVING licence.

You know how is the procedure to get issued a Thai licence, don't you ? That does not really qualify you as a SANE driver.

You know where Thailand is ranking, when it comes to total deaths and casualties in traffic, per year, don't you. The rental company may know it too.

If I were the rental company, assume you are an American, I would probably lease to you. But I would insist for you take a special all cover Insurance contract, includes CDW. Certainly more expensive than the rental itself, but seems FAIR.

You have not long been driving in the US, or any " normal" country. Consider yourself as a TRAINEE, again...

A International Driver's License is not a Driving License. You have to have a Valid, legal, current Driver's license. The International License is only a translation to be carried with your current driver license.

You do not need a International License in the US unless you license does not have English.