ManU In Decline?

Bredbury Blue

I think the reality is Moyes will get sacked, they will finish mid table, but next seasons manager not likely to make the same mistakes. The job was just too big for him... Too big for many. The queue for succession has already started me thinks.

Indeed, taking over directly from SAF was always going to be tough, for any manager.

I still think given time, that Moyes can turn things around, and fully support him being given that time... but, if and when the time does come for him to be replaced, i think it will be seen as a much more attractive post for a lot of top managers. The intimidating Fergie shadow will have diminished, and a completely new sheet can be turned. To stress, if and when.

Where do you stand on Fergusons presence at every game? I don't feel it helps Moyes one iota. Obviously its Ferguson's right to be there but baring in mind the huge task ahead and knowing that the new manager needs to get out from Fergusons shadow i feel its very unneeded

I think at OT all the away fans should wear fergie masks tongue.png

If Fergie got a cut he'd be for it as well.wink.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minus 26 points compared with the same time last season.w00t.gif

You have got to be having a larf.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Any normal club would have sacked him.

But yeh, I know...Manchester United aren't a normal club.

yeah yeah yeah. It's getting boring. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Anybody think Guardiola would be worried if ferguson was in the stand behind him?cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Man U definitely ain't normal.

And Moyes won't turn things round and restore united to anything approaching supremacy. Not this summer, not next season, no way never.

Martinez is already outperforming him at Everton.thumbsup.gif

26 years of history and the ball is stuck firmly on the centre spot and it ain't moving.

United are going nowhere fast at the moment.beatdeadhorse.gif

Minus 26 points compared with the same time last season.w00t.gif

You have got to be having a larf.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Any normal club would have sacked him.

But yeh, I know...Manchester United aren't a normal club.

yeah yeah yeah. It's getting boring. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

I think were all hoping they will retain Moysie's services for next season. My original bet was christmas/jan next season but its unlikely. But, we can but hope. This whole stability rubbish is dragging them down by the game.

Reality is, they just cannot afford the risk of keeping him. Apart from the transfer money spent, 26m wasted, christ nows how much he's costing them. The NYSE probably has an idea.

Theres gossip of United going for Falcao, presumably to replace RVP and they could get him because if he's prepared to play for Monoco in front of 5000 fans he won't mind not playing in the CL at United as long as the monies there. He must have heard of Rooneys wages so his agent must be doing summersaults at the prospects of a "negotiation." However generally speaking, despite the war chest reputed tp be available they will need a big name manager, not Moyes to attract world class players to a side not in the CL. After twenty consecutive years many young United will obviously struggle to understand this harsh reality. We, for example will probably lose Vertonghen and Lloris if we, as is likely fail to do so.

I just can't help thinking that if he had done what Ferguson had advised and kept his backromm staff, this massive hole he's dug for himself would not nearly been as deep as the one he finds himself in. He also needs to get rid of the likes of Vidic, Ferdinand, RVP, Giggs because they are winners, having worked under a great manger, (bar RVP for years too) and they must think Moyes is a right plonker.

I'm praying United keep Moyes because there nothing that wrong there that a quality manager, and there much talked about summer transfer fund wouldn't sort out in a relatively short time. Louis Van Gaal for example. Theres some really good quality young players there that will become fine players under a top quality coach. Unites and Arse fans have to realise that they are unlikely to appointment their next manager and keep him for the respective lengths of time that those to have. Its just not realistic.

Ssshhh Carmine - don't tell 'em smile.png

Looks like the whole board plus Fergie bought into this stay strong transition phase, so I'm licking my lips at the realistic prospect of more horrendous business decisions (mophead, Rooney's wages) and another miserable season to come.

Edited by SantiSuk

I agree that under normal circumstances David Moyes would have been shown the door by now, given the status of Man U. For the past decade they have been the dominant force in the Premiership, and it would have been taken for granted that this would continue. By their standards the results and performances this season have been nothing short of disastrous. One of the main reasons for a reluctance to fire Moyes would be how this would reflect on Alex Ferguson, his legacy and judgment. Normally if the position of manager of a club like Man U became available, there would be no shortage of applicants, all with top credentials, records of achievement at the highest levels of world football etc. A short list would have been drawn up, and the most suitable would have been appointed. Lets face it, under this normal way of doing things David Moyes wouldn't have got near the job. Now have a situation where the owners, supporters, and probably a majority of the players are all looking at the situation, and wondering how such a swift fall from grace could have happened. From the owners point of view the financial implications are enormous, no Champions league, awarding a new five year contract at 300,000 a week to a player who on at least two occasions has clearly demonstrated his reluctance to stay at the club. The owners must surely be thinking, how did we arrive at this disaster, who has visited this disaster upon us? And there is only one answer to that question, Sir Alex Ferguson. He is 100% responsible for the bypassing of normal procedures, he gave Moyes the job. This kind of nepotism rarely works out in the long run. Now if the club wants to fire Moyes after just a few months, his five year contract at 5 million a year will have to be paid up, likewise all of his backroom staff. If this happened the club would be open to ridicule, and nobody would look more ridiculous than Ferguson. His reputation and judgement would take a severe dent, and his legacy would be badly tarnished. Can't really see that being allowed.

For the past decade they have been the dominant force in the Premiership, and it would have been taken for granted that this would continue.

By whom?

Come on, the miracles that Fergie showed capable of delivering from average squads, never better exemplified than last season, were no secret. Everyone knew he had a unique ability with United, that had been carefully honed after more than two decades. So who was this new miracle worker who could have come in and seamlessly carried on the two decades plus of success without so much as a hitch?

Nobody coming in and filling Fergie's shoes would have taken the title in their first year, not without drastic changes to the squad, and even then, likely not. The first season post Fergie was always destined to be a season of fighting for Europe rather than fighting for the title. Now yes, maybe other managers would have had us a few more places up the table right now, but more than that, nah, I don't believe it... and nor incidentally did all the opposition supporters when Fergie announced his retirement. They all told us then, just you wait, once Fergie is gone, you'll be in trouble. They knew, as we did, that whoever came in, we were destined for at best, a few seasons struggling. And who knows, if your luck's in, it could be a decade or two. United don't have a god given right to be successful, just as Liverpool didn't after their glory years of winning everything.

This business of success being taken for granted is a nonsense.

For the past decade they have been the dominant force in the Premiership, and it would have been taken for granted that this would continue.

By whom?

Come on, the miracles that Fergie showed capable of delivering from average squads, never better exemplified than last season, were no secret. Everyone knew he had a unique ability with United, that had been carefully honed after more than two decades. So who was this new miracle worker who could have come in and seamlessly carried on the two decades plus of success without so much as a hitch?

Nobody coming in and filling Fergie's shoes would have taken the title in their first year, not without drastic changes to the squad, and even then, likely not. The first season post Fergie was always destined to be a season of fighting for Europe rather than fighting for the title. Now yes, maybe other managers would have had us a few more places up the table right now, but more than that, nah, I don't believe it... and nor incidentally did all the opposition supporters when Fergie announced his retirement. They all told us then, just you wait, once Fergie is gone, you'll be in trouble. They knew, as we did, that whoever came in, we were destined for at best, a few seasons struggling. And who knows, if your luck's in, it could be a decade or two. United don't have a god given right to be successful, just as Liverpool didn't after their glory years of winning everything.

Taken for granted by most arrogant United fans i spoke to and taken for granted by most on here too. You are the exemption.

You are also one of the exemptions that i've either seen recently of heard on here that will even talk about football. Says a lot about the "United fan" How fans reaction when its not going well.

The reality of supporting a football club is not having a manager like Alex Ferguson winning everything for a quarter of a century and perhaps those south coast knobs claiming to support United should have thought about that before they abandoned a local/regional side.

The reason for the consummate enjoyment ohad by us all in Uniteds demise is down to the behavior of your fans over the past 25 years.

EDIT...I think i'm genuinely starting to have sympathy for David Moyes!!biggrin.png

Edited by carmine

Normally if the position of manager of a club like Man U became available, there would be no shortage of applicants, all with top credentials, records of achievement at the highest levels of world football etc. A short list would have been drawn up, and the most suitable would have been appointed.

Yes because those appointments by board members in suits, always end up getting the best man for the job. They never get it wrong do they. :rolleyes:

Normally if the position of manager of a club like Man U became available, there would be no shortage of applicants, all with top credentials, records of achievement at the highest levels of world football etc. A short list would have been drawn up, and the most suitable would have been appointed.

Yes because those appointments by board members in suits, always end up getting the best man for the job. They never get it wrong do they. rolleyes.gif

I think the point is it was a surprise to everyone bar Man Utd fans that the board would go along with such a totally unsuitable trophy less guy, appointed on the basis of him being ferguson's scottish mate. Theres no other explanation, certainly not in football terms

Edited by carmine

By whom?

Taken for granted by most arrogant United fans i spoke to and taken for granted by most on here too. You are the exemption.

You are also one of the exemptions that i've either seen recently of heard on here that will even talk about football. Says a lot about the "United fan" How fans reaction when its not going well.

The reality of supporting a football club is not having a manager like Alex Ferguson winning everything for a quarter of a century and perhaps those south coast knobs claiming to support United should have thought about that before they abandoned a local/regional side.

The reason for the consummate enjoyment ohad by us all in Uniteds demise is down to the behavior of your fans over the past 25 years.

EDIT...I think i'm genuinely starting to have sympathy for David Moyes!!biggrin.png

There are knobs at all the clubs and yes we have our share. I do think also that success brings out an ugly side in some. But same for all club supporters. If City go on a run of success now for just a fraction of the time that we were at the top, guarantee you'll see more come out of the woodwork there, no matter what they may tell you now about never forgetting their roots. And would Spurs supporters be any different? Not an excuse for behavior of certain United supporters, but this idea that some clubs have a better quality fan is generally a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. They don't. They just have fewer fans with less to crow about, and therefore less knobs to stand out.

Yes because those appointments by board members in suits, always end up getting the best man for the job. They never get it wrong do they. rolleyes.gif

I think the point is it was a surprise to everyone bar Man Utd fans that the board would go along with such a totally unsuitable trophy less guy, appointed on the basis of him being ferguson's scottish mate. Theres no other explanation, certainly not in football terms

OK. I thought the point was that had our manager been appointed by a bunch of board members in suits, rather than appointed by the most successful manager in the history of the game, and someone who knows more about the club than anyone, we would right now be flying high with the continuation of success pretty much just a formality.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree that under normal circumstances David Moyes would have been shown the door by now, given the status of Man U. For the past decade they have been the dominant force in the Premiership, and it would have been taken for granted that this would continue. By their standards the results and performances this season have been nothing short of disastrous. One of the main reasons for a reluctance to fire Moyes would be how this would reflect on Alex Ferguson, his legacy and judgment. Normally if the position of manager of a club like Man U became available, there would be no shortage of applicants, all with top credentials, records of achievement at the highest levels of world football etc. A short list would have been drawn up, and the most suitable would have been appointed. Lets face it, under this normal way of doing things David Moyes wouldn't have got near the job. Now have a situation where the owners, supporters, and probably a majority of the players are all looking at the situation, and wondering how such a swift fall from grace could have happened. From the owners point of view the financial implications are enormous, no Champions league, awarding a new five year contract at 300,000 a week to a player who on at least two occasions has clearly demonstrated his reluctance to stay at the club. The owners must surely be thinking, how did we arrive at this disaster, who has visited this disaster upon us? And there is only one answer to that question, Sir Alex Ferguson. He is 100% responsible for the bypassing of normal procedures, he gave Moyes the job. This kind of nepotism rarely works out in the long run. Now if the club wants to fire Moyes after just a few months, his five year contract at 5 million a year will have to be paid up, likewise all of his backroom staff. If this happened the club would be open to ridicule, and nobody would look more ridiculous than Ferguson. His reputation and judgement would take a severe dent, and his legacy would be badly tarnished. Can't really see that being allowed.

Nice one Exsexyman. Positively Shakespearean.

A black comedy.

Whatever Rixalex says, and I could take issue with a number of points he raises......

sticking with David Moyes is unlikely to do United any favours and unlikely to avoid tarnishing SAF's legacy.

Honourable exit at the end of the season, warm handshakes and move on.

Up to United to deal with it without losing too much face.

wai2.gif

Whatever Rixalex says, and I could take issue with a number of points he raises......

sticking with David Moyes is unlikely to do United any favours and unlikely to avoid tarnishing SAF's legacy.

wai2.gif

Whatever Moyes achieves or doesn't achieve, I don't think SAF's reputation will be affected one way or the other. All he did was recommend the man. And you think that act might detract from what he did in over 26 years at the club? Come on.

wai2.gif

It will NOT happen-David Moyes is the manager and will be allowed the time and the money to get things right-just as Fergie was previously thumbsup.gif

wai2.gif

It will NOT happen-David Moyes is the manager and will be allowed the time and the money to get things right-just as Fergie was previously thumbsup.gif

Your loyalty is admirable, but SAF was a different man, in a different time and it's a different game. You need to wake up and smell the failure, it is pungent.

wai2.gif

beatdeadhorse.gif

sorry mate.

I'll post something more positive on the Manchester United thread for all us football fans who, whatever colour we are, cannot fail to admire the skills of people like Zinedine Zidane, Paul Scholes and a Frenchman who went unbeaten at Highbury for god knows how many games.

All the best.thumbsup.gif

wai2.gif

Your loyalty is admirable, but SAF was a different man, in a different time and it's a different game. You need to wake up and smell the failure, it is pungent.

Yo verily. I expect Moyes will be given the off season to get things straightend out, and if there is no sign of progress early next season he'll be given the boot. In fact, I'd bet there will be backroom talk of canning him at the end of this season.United can't afford becoming a mediocre afterthought regardless of having to pony up mega money to see Moyes off. Do the cost benefit analysis of keeping Moyes on and missing CL play, or letting him go and bringing in a proper big club manager with pedigree. Between United's poor performances and Moyes' inexplicable comments he's been a disaster.

wai2.gif

Arhhh he's back from Never Never Land.

Welcome back Peter. I'm too am sure David's going to be very successful at Moyeschester united. laugh.pnglaugh.png I think United should keep Moyes for as long as possible regardless of anything because you are a work in progress. Stability, stability.

You are my hero!!!

Some very difficult decisions to be made at United.The board is supposed to be making 150m + available for summer signings but can Moyes be trusted to spend it wisely ?

Also, if Moyes got the boot who is there currently available to take over ?........Di Matteo,Villas-Boas,Neil Warnock ?? whistling.gif

If they go for Van Gaal the tiny totts will be livid.

biggrin.png

No chance of that. They are sticking with the rather ridiculous choice of Ferguson and they are still quite sure he'll be a success. Apparently its all part of stability and supposedly stability brings success

yes i would be livid but then again theres no chance of the penny dropping at OT until seemingly sometime next season (xmas/jan) by which time Moyes will have turned them into a total laughing stock. I have to admit i'm enjoying the OT comedy show immensely this season and the best part is the polar opposite views of the Mau Utd fans and the rest towards his ludicrous appointment.

I would also go as far as to say that anyone who still thinks he was the correct appointment either knows little or nothing about football or fails to understand that even Ferguson was capable of poor decisions and this one was his worse and looking like being catastrophic for the club.

Does being his mate, a scot and no silverware make him the right choice for Manchester United!!! Rhetorical, not a question.

Oh yes Chicoq, no chance or me being pissed off, Van Gaal's Spurs boundbiggrin.png

wai2.gif

Arhhh he's back from Never Never Land.

Welcome back Peter. I'm too am sure David's going to be very successful at Moyeschester united. laugh.pnglaugh.png I think United should keep Moyes for as long as possible regardless of anything because you are a work in progress. Stability, stability.

You are my hero!!!

Never been away Carmine,I backed David Moyes,s appointment quite some time ago and gave my reasons for it, and still do-but boredem set in reading the c_ap from the ABU,s on here,enjoy our temporary demise while it lasts and hope your club can take advantage of it.Seeing the delight on the faces of Chelsea/Man City fans as they believe they can win some silverwear this season is priceless thumbsup.gif

Liverpool and Arsenal-nowt down for them- sorrygiggle.gif

All this talk of what Man U won in the last 2 decades is history as is the fact they won virtually nothing (except1976 cup final) from 1969 to 1986 when AF appeared on the scene. As someone stated nobody has a god given right to think they can keep winning all the time, that's the beauty of our game and the competiveness of the premier league.

All this talk of what Man U won in the last 2 decades is history as is the fact they won virtually nothing (except1976 cup final) from 1969 to 1986 when AF appeared on the scene. As someone stated nobody has a god given right to think they can keep winning all the time, that's the beauty of our game and the competiveness of the premier league.

United didn,t win the 1976 Cup Final-Southampton did thumbsup.gif