Sin-Sot, With A Twist.

electrozebra

Many parents put the money down for ''show'' to the guests/village on the day. :)

What is this 'for show' nonsense? Do they think they're kidding the rest of the village by displaying some dosh? If it's just a ritual, then they might as well display that fake 'Bank of Heaven' money that I've seen in Oriental stores in the UK. These sinsod threads are a joke.

Bank of Heaven and Hell money is for dead people and is burnt as an offering . It is a Chinese tradition and has to with showing reverence to your ancestors . post-100087-0-33453300-1306740212_thumb.

post-100087-0-78023500-1306740234_thumb.

Dont bother pointing out any Chinese Influence, the Conned are Happy to live in ignorace, believing what the Family told them..My Ozzy Chum makes us Smile with his "My Brother Said", impression of his Wife. Interesting Pics, ive seen similar at a local Chin Cemetry.:D

I had a flat above a shop that makes these paper thingamibobs in Hong Kong . I was always interested to see what new models they brought out . Cars , phones , computers , guitars , cool dupes , sunglasses , friends, food , mansions. Anything a person would want or need all made from paper and twiggs to be burnt at a funeral . I think they believe all their ancestors are still with them on a diffrent plane but somehow in their houses at the same time . A bit spooky ? Excuse my offtopicness.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History lesson.:lol: :lol:

Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram an ethnic Thai changed Siam to Thailand 24 June 1939 and again from 8 September 1945 when the title of the office changed from "Prime Minister of Siam" to "Prime Minister of Thailand" in 1945 it was then permanently renamed from Siam to Thailand on 20 July 1949.

Here's one for You.The Dictator was the Son of a Cantonese immigrant ,so if you call a Donkey born in a Stable a Racehorse, yes hes Thai, but hardly ethnic .:D

His mother was Thai :) and the father didn't pay any sin - sot.

The Thais moved from their ancestral home in southern China ( Cantonese area) into mainland southeast Asia around the 10th century AD. Prior to this, what is known as Greater India and the Indianized kingdoms ruled such as the Mon who settled further to the west in Myanmar or Burma as it is also known.

I consider myself to be English, my Father was the son of an Irishman my Mother was the daughter of a Frenchman what does that make me then ?? :lol:

History lesson.:lol: :lol:

Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram an ethnic Thai changed Siam to Thailand 24 June 1939 and again from 8 September 1945 when the title of the office changed from "Prime Minister of Siam" to "Prime Minister of Thailand" in 1945 it was then permanently renamed from Siam to Thailand on 20 July 1949.

Here's one for You.The Dictator was the Son of a Cantonese immigrant ,so if you call a Donkey born in a Stable a Racehorse, yes hes Thai, but hardly ethnic .:D

His mother was Thai :) and the father didn't pay any sin - sot.

The Thais moved from their ancestral home in southern China ( Cantonese area) into mainland southeast Asia around the 10th century AD. Prior to this, what is known as Greater India and the Indianized kingdoms ruled such as the Mon who settled further to the west in Myanmar or Burma as it is also known.

I consider myself to be English, my Father was the son of an Irishman my Mother was the daughter of a Frenchman what does that make me then ?? :lol:

A Nutcase.:crazy:

An alcoholic with a preference for wine :D (not a flame meant humorous)

An alcoholic with a preference for wine :D (not a flame meant humorous)

Yep, think kwacks and me are related.:lol:

Calling someone 'second hand goods' and you didn't mean any disrespect, did you mean it as a compliment? And you didn't offend me, but you probably offended the more intelligent of the antipodean folks on this forum.

Do you realise you've used antipodean and intelligent in the same sentence? :D Nope, no disrespect and quite a common term down under. It is neither a compliment nor disrepectful, it's just a common term used. I don't think you would find many of us would bat an eyelid at it.

But then again, we are a weird mob.

Yes I did, do you ever listen to Samran, although some might argue his Thai roots are more prevalent and Burnsie in the immigration forum, always on the button with his responses, although I believe he may no longer be responding in there.

However there are other common terms used through out the world, that are highly disrespectful, but hey they are just common words, like queer, nigger, whore, but hey why should we bat an eye lid regarding them?

What do you mean 'other common terms highly disrespectful'. I said it wasn't a disrespectful term in australia, and it isn't. I didn't mention the rest of the world. I've even heard women describe themselves as such. By the way, we also use the term 'queer' and that also isn't a disrespectful term here, unless you follow it with the c word.

I suppose I'm just a dopey bastard but we aren't so sensitive here.

Sin sod for the second time around and also with child? Not a hope in hell.

And this is a solely Aussie based forum, with only Aussie based posters.

Someone who drinks Guniness with a twist of garlic ?....:D

At least you had Street Names in English, it didn't go down too well in Chaig Rai, when they used Chinese Script in stead of Thai. Soon the U.K. signs will be in Arabic. Thai run Thailand, My Arse.Dream On.:D

This has doomed marriage written all over it...Your over 50...you should know better....If you can afford to lose money on a monthly basis go for it...But I gotta tell you the sin-sot is just the beginning....Once the family knows your income or assets get ready for the following...

1. Trips to the hospital for MIL

2. A new bathroom or addition for the MIL

3. A brand new house for your wife....of which you will own 0%

4. Monthly payments to the MIL because their daughter has to take care of momma now that she has a rich Farlang for a husband...

But you should really think about this....your going to marry a woman that probably has less then a 2nd grade education that you really don't have much in common with. Sure she's a sweet Thai women for a week or 2 when your around....but believe me you never find out about the real woman until you live with them for 6 months or more...

So whats the rush? Don't let some greedy MIL pressure you.......If you put up a little resistance the demands will drop way down....Because in the long run your their monthly ATM machine....They won't risk losing the chance for a lifetime money supply...If I were you I wouldn't do it....

I have about 8 friends that went through the same process with Thai-Esan girls....So sweet, so beautiful, so sexy, so unlike Western women....in the end it's like being married to a 2nd grader who doesn't want to work....

Hangout at the local grade school and that should straighten you out!

Mother 40 daughter 20, I can see the attraction but experience tells me it would not be a long term thing. Twins might work. I have read in Thai newspapers that twins marry the same guy sometimes in a village ceremony. Thinking of the sin sod scenarios that I might participate in, twins seems a possible.

Edited by Rimmer
Nested quoted replies from deleted posts removed

A Nutcase.:crazy: sometimes after too many Changs.

An alcoholic with a preference for wine :D (not a flame meant humorous) good reply not far out.

Yep, think kwacks and me are related.:lol: You never know, my mums dad was one for the ladies.

Someone who drinks Guniness with a twist of garlic ?....:D nice one, I certainly do miss the Guniness.

K

This thread is going down the 'El crapper" I see.

Well hopefully you (OP) got out a little spreadsheet and did a Yes or No checklist based on some reasonable comments and observations. The answer is very clear. Since she and MIL are making it a business proposition with no emotion so should you. Simple as that. It is not complicated unless you are letting your other head do the thinking. Then all is for not. You will find a way to justify it right down the path.

On the flip side since it seems like all we hear on TV is horror stories, let it be known there are a ton of wonderful women in Thailand. People just do not come on the internet to post about it. Just like anywhere else on the planet. The sample size on this site is quite small to formulate a reality. It is very easy to become quickly jaded when all you read is negative comments about Thai women, MIL, Sin Sot etc. Sadly when someone posts a nice story it takes no more then 3 posts in and it gets trashed as it seems people love to read and post about peoples bad times. Guess it goes with the the territory.

OP: There are many a nice gal out there. I suggest that you look elsewhere. You did not travel here to be sucked into a nightmare that will most definitely drain your financial reserves(and shed years off your life). In the end you will probably lose out. I seriously doubt you would tolerate this in your home land with a woman. I know I would sure not.

Best of luck

Edited by JPPR2

Just buy her Mum 2-3 baht of gold and tell her there's more of that coming in the future when you will be better off...I am sure she will agree..

I was conned into paying 2,000 a month for more than three years to the old bag with the promise that everything was going to be okay. In the end, my ex denied they ever made that promise to me and insisted I pay the initial 100k.

So you guys would just leave your parents back home without any financial help huh?

2000 baht is nothing.

Are they your parents ? No

Are they your wife's responsibility ? Yes

Would i help if i see a real problem not those made up ones ? Yes

But if you don't let your wife work so she has no source of income then yes its your problem and because they see the money comes from you often the other relatives will stop paying and every time mysterious problems pop up with requests for extra money.

I been in one of those kind of relations. Thank god my current wife works for a living and pays her share in our expenses and pays for her family an amount she sees fit.

I never paid a dime of sin sod and i would never do it unless i was 30 years older then my wife look like i could act in a horror movie without make up. Then yes sin sod is a good compensation for the wife who stays with a guy like that. :D

I think you may actually understand.

Except that they are now your parents too, not just your wife's. Giving a gift every once in a while never hurts. ;)

Unfortunately, a lot of foreigners clearly cannot read 'some' of the people they associate with here. Over the years I've met more and more people who have lots their shirts (or at least significant enough portions of said shirt) and homes to locals for the SECOND and THIRD times.

And the other way around, surely... but it's easier to recover when you have home field advantage.

:)

After reading this read i would wonder why anyone would want to get married..anywhere :o

As for LOS though, the risks are so high, why do they do it?

Its a lot more fun going through the motions IMO...after the 3rd or 4th would-be sinsod recipient/request, you will start to learn how to handle the issue when it arises :whistling:

And its not like you wont be able to give your money away any more....They will still ask for this and that, just that the amounts will not be as extreme as all this sinsod poppycock :rolleyes:

edit: to delete mention of the 3 F's :lol:

Edited by ozzieovaseas

"Tirak, the day you can't control your parents, is the day YOU will leave this house and not return. I married you and not your parents, and not your brothers and sisters. When that is too hard to handle, we are done".

I am married to a Thai.

I have posted about the "GOLDEN RULE" before. He who has the gold makes the rules. Anyone that forgets that is setting themselves up for inevitable misery and failure.

Edited by chaihot

"Tirak, the day you can't control your parents, is the day YOU will leave this house and not return. I married you and not your parents, and not your brothers and sisters. When that is too hard to handle, we are done".

I am married to a Thai.

I have posted about the "GOLDEN RULE" before. He who has the gold makes the rules. Anyone that forgets that is setting themselves up for inevitable misery and failure.

Long live the dictator! In democracy, we share the wealth :lol:.

I am to some extent agree that you should not bite the hand that feeds you.

I grew up in a welfare country and have no problems sharing my welfare with my family, to a certain extent, and I expect them to behave properly in return.

If you find a girl outside the farang places there is less greed.

Greed is found most often among girls who have associated with bars and other sinister places.

You must set a strict standard immediately. Try to see through the crush that makes blind. :closedeyes: