Police To Remove PAD "Vote No" Campaign Signs

webfact

Police to Remove "Vote No" Campaign Signs

Police are preparing to remove the “Vote No” campaign signs of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, reasoning it has nothing to do with the upcoming election.

Meanwhile, police say 228 MP candidates have sought extra protection.

National Police Office Spokesman Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri said 456 police officers have been assigned to provide extra protection for 228 MP candidates as they asked for it.

He assured this does not affect other security duties of police.

He added that police have stepped up security for areas with intense competition in the upcoming poll, particularly in Chiang Rai, Nakhon Sawan, and Narathiwat, with the focus also on intelligence gathering.

What is of concern right now is betting on the election outcome, which carries a penalty of one to five years in jail, a fine of 20,000 to 200,000 baht or both.

Betting on the election carries a higher penalty than any other forms of gambling.

Prawut also warned political parties that they cannot put up posters that may obstruct motorists’ view.

He added that police have coordinated with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration for the removal of the “Vote No” campaign signs which the Election Commission has already ruled as being irrelevant to the upcoming poll.

He also commented on the bomb attack on the rally of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, stating that there has not been much progress as the closed-circuit camera footage and evidence from the crime scene has not helped narrow down the search for the perpetrator.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-06

footer_n.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PAD are pushing for No Vote, but their political wing the NPP are standing in the election - so I can see that the police are right to take these signs down, as they haven't been placed by any of the existing parties. If the PAD want signs put up, maybe they need to break from the NPP? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Police ask BMA to remove PAD’s ‘vote-no’ posters

news2011-06-06_09-50-29_255406060003_voteno.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 June 2011 (NNT) – The National Police Bureau has asked the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to have all the ‘vote no’ posters of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) removed from the streets.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri stated that the BMA have the authority to remove ‘vote no’ posters from streets under the Cleanliness Act and the Advertisement Billboards Act since such posters are not for election campaigns.

The decision of the police came after the EC announced that removals of vote-no posters are out of its jurisdiction since they are not campaigning for any political parties.

The vote-no posters raised by the PAD features animals such as buffalo, monitor lizard, dog, monkey and tiger wearing suits similar to humans. The posters encourage people to vote no in the upcoming 3 July general election and tell people not to let ‘animals’ go into Parliament.

Earlier, Pheu Thai Party Spokesperson Prompong Noppasit asked the EC to take legal action and remove the posters from the streets since they are inappropriate, tarnish national image and can mislead perception about democracy among people, especially children and youth.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-06 footer_n.gif

Police ask BMA to remove PAD’s ‘vote-no’ posters

BANGKOK, 6 June 2011 (NNT) – The National Police Bureau has asked the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to have all the ‘vote no’ posters of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) removed from the streets.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri stated that the BMA have the authority to remove ‘vote no’ posters from streets under the Cleanliness Act and the Advertisement Billboards Act since such posters are not for election campaigns.

The decision of the police came after the EC announced that removals of vote-no posters are out of its jurisdiction since they are not campaigning for any political parties.

The vote-no posters raised by the PAD features animals such as buffalo, monitor lizard, dog, monkey and tiger wearing suits similar to humans. The posters encourage people to vote no in the upcoming 3 July general election and tell people not to let ‘animals’ go into Parliament.

Earlier, Pheu Thai Party Spokesperson Prompong Noppasit asked the EC to take legal action and remove the posters from the streets since they are inappropriate, tarnish national image and can mislead perception about democracy among people, especially children and youth.

nntlogo.jpg

The monkey looks honest. If i could vote it would definitely be the monkey, look he even comes with a banana. Definitely the monkey.

It's a shame that the PAD - or any other interested person or group - can't express their viewpoint in the run-up to the election. Isn't this censorship?

With regard to deterring people from voting, I've heard it said that in the US a higher election turnout is usually beneficial to the Democrats. I wonder which party would benefit from hi/low turnouts over here?

:whistling:

I can understand their point...but there are many countries in the world where if I was a citizen of that country voting No (or maybe better voting None Of The Above) would be what I wish I could do.

This includes my own native country, the U.S.A.

Of course, most governments in the world wouldn't like that very much...they take themselves and their silly elections where pre-determined candidates....politicians with no real concern but to maintain themselves in office at the public expense...are the only candidates you are allowed to vote for. So why would anyone seriously expect that to be different here in Thailand?

Okay, end of rant.

:rolleyes:

Police ask BMA to remove PAD's 'vote-no' posters

BANGKOK, 6 June 2011 (NNT) – The National Police Bureau has asked the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to have all the 'vote no' posters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) removed from the streets.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri stated that the BMA have the authority to remove 'vote no' posters from streets under the Cleanliness Act and the Advertisement Billboards Act since such posters are not for election campaigns.

The vote-no posters raised by the PAD features animals such as buffalo, monitor lizard, dog, monkey and tiger wearing suits similar to humans. The posters encourage people to vote no in the upcoming 3 July general election and tell people not to let 'animals' go into Parliament.

nntlogo.jpg

The monkey looks honest. If i could vote it would definitely be the monkey, look he even comes with a banana. Definitely the monkey.

The PAD are pushing for No Vote, but their political wing the NPP are standing in the election - so I can see that the police are right to take these signs down, as they haven't been placed by any of the existing parties. If the PAD want signs put up, maybe they need to break from the NPP? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

To National Police Spoke Person and PiSek and all other politicians involved:

you do read Thai, don't you?

well, even if you don't read Thai, you still can see, can you not, friends?

open your eyes wide, wider....

is there a political insignia appearing on the upper left hand corner, or not? SEE ATTACHED PIX

pls stop being too bias toward whatever, whoever and whomever....

do not want to call you bunch stupid, apparently you all are not, my friends.

however by virtue of your own statement that those signs were put up by the yellows....

....so I can see that the police are right to take these signs down, as they haven't been placed by any of the existing parties....

perhaps does show only your ignorance but not your stupidity....

the insignia appearing on the upper left hand corner does belong to a current thai political party....

if you are unable to identify which thai political party it belongs to.... just ask thaivisa members....

there are perhaps thousand of farang who would be happy to dig into our thai dictionary and come up with the right and proper thai owner of the insignia.... LOL :Thaiflag:

post-108818-0-44549900-1307339964_thumb.

Edited by vont

I can see your point of view but does the buffalo bring to the table a bail of hay? I think not. The monkey, being the foreword thinker that he is has come prepared with his banana. It's the buffaloes way of thinking that has put this country into such a mess. Now what if the tiger or kimono dragon became vice PM? You would have a very big problem on your hooves now wouldn't you? Obvious reasons!. Where as the monkey could simply scamper(with his banana) up a tree the buffalo would be doomed to a slow painful death. As for the dog, thats easy just throw him a bone and he's out a there. A vote for monkey is a vote for freedom!

Well, if it is the case as you insinuate that these are NPP posters, not PAD ones, then the NPP should be getting the National Police Bureau to reverse their request to BMA.

Bit hard to see form the posted image but it doesn't look like the NPP emblem:

post-32254-0-63252700-1307341214_thumb.p

It seems to me that there were far too many buffaloes in the last parliament, so I'm afraid he can't get my vote. The monkey is headed for the sin bin, obviously offering a banana as an inducement to vote for him.

As for the dog, oz PM Paul Keating once described an opponent as having all the attributes of a dog, except for loyalty. Well said!

That symbol on that poster is for the "for heaven and earth party", boys and girls.

Thank you kindly.

A little background from a quick Google search:

Meanwhile, Chamlong Srimuang, one of the PAD core leaders, announced that the For Heaven and Earth Party, which is unaffiliated with the group, is also supporting the “Vote No” campaign.

However the party is planning to field a lone candidate to avoid being disbanded.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1043823

Edit to add - if the For Heaven and Earth Party are registered, then vont is indeed correct - the BMA shouldn't be taking them down.

Edited by Pi Sek

Says everything about this crazy country when many Election Posters(by the police own complaint) are a danger to road users and pedestrians , BUT AREN'T REMOVED , whereas boards which tell voters to exercise their right on the ballot paper to vote NO are going to removed. On whose authority? PAD should challenge this in court or maybe it's not worth the hassle.

Says everything about this crazy country when many Election Posters(by the police own complaint) are a danger to road users and pedestrians , BUT AREN'T REMOVED , whereas boards which tell voters to exercise their right on the ballot paper to vote NO are going to removed. On whose authority? PAD should challenge this in court or maybe it's not worth the hassle.

The PAD, not being a political party, can not put up political posters. So it would be on the authority of the EC to remove them.

If they are in fact "For Heaven and Earth" party posters, they should be left where they are.

Also, the PAD should not be campaigning for a particular party, unless their campaigning is included in the party's approved funding statements.

It's a shame that the PAD - or any other interested person or group - can't express their viewpoint in the run-up to the election. Isn't this censorship?

With regard to deterring people from voting, I've heard it said that in the US a higher election turnout is usually beneficial to the Democrats. I wonder which party would benefit from hi/low turnouts over here?

It isn't censorship to not allow a non-political party to use the exception to the billboard laws that political parties are allowed to use during elections. The PAD certainly has access to the press as well as using other legal means to get their message out.

As for who benefits from a low turnout or high turnout --- it would depend on the constituency I suppose.

PiSek --- For Heaven and Earth party is registered. I have found no verification that their logo is what is on the placards as the pictures of various placards seem to not have the logo on them.. That question (and by extension if it is on the signage) should determine if they are allowed to stay.

People's Alliance Leader Dares Police to Remove 'Vote No' Posters

One of the core yellow-shirt leader insists the group's "Vote No" campaign is not against the law.

He's challenged police officers to remove the "Vote No" posters featuring pictures of various animals and a message "Don't Elect Animals into Parliament."

The People's Alliance for Democracy leader, Sondhi Limthongkul challenges police officers to remove the group's "Vote No" campaign posters.

He says the campaign is not against the law and added voters have the right to abstain their votes.

Sondhi speculated that attempts to stop the "Vote No" campaign are backed by those with vested interest in the upcoming election.

Meanwhile, he expresses his confidence that the Pheu Thai party would win the July poll, leaving the Democrats far behind in the MP race.

The PAD leader also reiterated his disagreement with the proposal to grant amnesty to any group of people.

He added he was not surprised by the establishment of a new civic group led by Kaewsan Atibhodi, former member of the Assets Examination Committee, Tul Sittisomwong, a doctor at Chulalongkorn Hospital, and Chirmsak Pinthong, known TV commentator, to move against the amnesty proposal raised by the Pheu Thai Party.

Sondhi said the anti-amnesty network has close ties with the Democrat party.

The PAD leader reported himself to the Crime Suppression Police headquarters today.

The police have filed a case against him, and other PAD leaders, for their role in the yellow-shirt protests at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports in 2008.

The Attorney-General's Office will decide whether it will proceed with seeking arraignment against Sondhi on July 8 at 10 A.M.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-06

footer_n.gif

Gotta give Sondhi some credit ------

The PAD leader also reiterated his disagreement with the proposal to grant amnesty to any group of people.

This includes him and he has some serious charges facing him.

I can see your point of view but does the buffalo bring to the table a bail of hay? I think not. The monkey, being the foreword thinker that he is has come prepared with his banana. It's the buffaloes way of thinking that has put this country into such a mess. Now what if the tiger or kimono dragon became vice PM? You would have a very big problem on your hooves now wouldn't you? Obvious reasons!. Where as the monkey could simply scamper(with his banana) up a tree the buffalo would be doomed to a slow painful death. As for the dog, thats easy just throw him a bone and he's out a there. A vote for monkey is a vote for freedom!

hahahhahhahahha great explanation!!!!!:D

It's a shame that the PAD - or any other interested person or group - can't express their viewpoint in the run-up to the election...

Who says they can't? But if the rules say that only election campaign posters are allowed, then obviously a poster that does not meet the criteria for an election campaign poster is not allowed. Their viewpoint can, however, be expressed by other means.

...the insignia appearing on the upper left hand corner does belong to a current thai political party...

Does the inclusion of the logo of a political party make a poster an election campaign poster? I haven't seen the rules, but I know that the Election Commission (EC) has assigned each party a number for the purpose of the campaign and the election. As far as I know, the ballot sheet will list all the parties that field candidates and next to each party name will be the the assigned party number and a box to be marked with an x to indicate the voter's choice. In this context, the "vote-no" poster is misleading because it suggests that the voter will have the option to select a box next to the text "vote-no". Or can somebody confirm that in addition to the list of the party names and numbers there will be a line and selection box for "vote-no"? Generally, if somebody chooses not to vote for a party he will either not go the polling station or he goes and puts in a blank ballot sheet. Is it any different in Thailand?

Edited by Puccini

This is a 2nd Amendment issue... pure and simple!!!

Oopppps.... My Mistake... I confused this with a REAL democracy...

There is NO Freedom of Speech or any other enforced Constitutionally Protected Rights in Thailand.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

hahahhahhahahha great explanation!!!!!:D

Somebodies been reading the Thai version of "Animal Farm".

BTW... who's watching out for the Crocodiles massing in the Klong?

A Coup waiting in the weeds!

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer