Thailand To Conduct Extensive Study

Jai Dee

THAILAND TO CONDUCT STUDY ON THE USE OF NUCLEAR ENERGY

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated that Thailand will have to put more efforts in conducting extensive study on nuclear energy if it is to be used as another alternative source of energy in place of oil.

Prime Minister's Office Spokesperson Suraphong Suebwonglee(สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี) spoke on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's behalf with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the International Energy Agency. The meeting also brought up issues of nuclear energy as an alternative. Mr. Suraphong said Finland was the only country in Western Europe that has invested in nuclear energy, while other countries are studying on the pros and cons of nuclear energy. He said that as for Thailand more studies would be required. Meanwhile the IEA has predicted that ethanol will play a greater role in the global level in the future, where 6 percent of world energy usage will be comprised of ethanol by the year 2020.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 11 ตุลาคม 2548

I thought before people pounce on this topic to research the facts some (regarding nuclear power - both pros & cons). Probably a lot more cons when it comes to Thailand at the present time. Cost to build - around 150 billion baht (at current market estimates). Waste disposal - several tons a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reactor

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._86/ai_77279545

http://www.io.com/~hcexres/tcm1603/acchtml/finrepx7c.html

http://archive.greenpeace.org/comms/97/nuc.../repstatus.html

http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/e...FTOKEN=94416339

Edited by tywais

I doubt that Finland is the only country in Western Europe that has invested in nuclear energy......who is the idiot here, Mr. Suraphong or me. If its me then you only need fear that my rice won't grow....if its Mr. Suraphong then you need to worry about the possible future of nuclear technology in Thailand.

From what I understand the new generation of reactors are cleaner and more effifient than earlier versions.

With designed-in failsafe features like it being impossible for the thing to go critical is certainly an advantage. Considering Thailand's reliance on fuel for electricity generation, it is a reasonable thing to investigate.

the problem is the huge amount of contaminated waste that has to be stashed away for a 100 years plus. theres a lot of it. These reactors have limited life and then cost massive sums of cash to shut them down. Thais dont have a good record when it comes to recycling and waste disposal.

I wonder if bicycle paths would be used by people if they existed?

I know there are a few areas with bike paths. but they are out of the way, and do not exist where most people travel to and fro.

when I was a kid in oregon, I used to ride my bicycle to school everyday. it was a 2 mile ride each way. no big deal.

most of the places I hang out in bangkok are within a 3 mile radius. seems to me that more people should consider bicycles as an option.

now, all we need are bike paths as an incentive for people to use bikes as their main means of transportation.

An international consortium of gov't research agencies are starting to build the next generation magnetic confinement fusion reactor in France (of all places). These people have gotten more sophisticated at predicting their results and making detailed time lines about how their progress is likely to unfold...they say that if all goes well that in about 20 or 30 years it is likely that they will be ready to start designing a commercial style electrical generating facility. This agency is called ITER. If you are interested (hahahahahahahahaha) just google for 'iter'. Its probably better to wait for these reactors and make do until then rather than to create alot of messy fission facilities especially when the people in charge think that Finland is the only country in western europe that has invested in nuclear energy......can you believe that!!!!hahahahahahahahahhaha....or cry me a river of tears...I don't know which.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.

Have no fear for atomic energy,

’cause none of them can stop the time.

I agree completely...we need something to help clean the cr@p out of our minds....I'm talking mental floss, not dental floss....I'm talking about improving moral hygiene, not oral hygiene........I'm talking about moral fibre, not oral fibre......