Thai Immigration Tightens Requirements For Retirement Visa Extensions

Back to the original subject: "Thai Immigration tightens requirements for retirement visa extensions."

Has anyone actually spoken with a Thai Immigration official, and been able to confirm, or deny the original post?

Or, are we stuck with ten pages of useless speculation?

I also note that after 200+ posts there has been NO ONE who has posted saying they were asked for proof to back up a sworn statement...

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's totally crazy that the average Thai earns about 8000 baht a month, but they expect farangs to have pension incomes of 65,000 baht a month to live there.

Remember...Farangs are different. They need more money to pay the farang price.

Unless your lieing to your embassy its a non issue ??

All thats happening here is they want to see that what you claim is reality.. If no ones telling porkies then I see no issue.

Apparently, once again, people from Immigrations have been reading ThaiVisa message boards to find out which loopholes are being exploited. Many times when someone has posed a question on this board about proof of income or meeting the minimums, someone has responded that if you're an American (or someone else whose embassy uses sworn statements) that you can just say anything you want.

Same was true back when people were shifting bank balances around and Immigrations then decided to require money to be in your account for several months. The geniuses posting on TV would brag about how clever they were and that loophole was closed.

Anyway, as someone else said, the financial requirements remain the same, but because of a few dishonest people we will all have to provide more documentation that we meet those requirements.

I don't see the relevance of the comparison of a supposed average Thai salary of Baht 8000 to the Baht 65,000 requirement for retired farang. It may hurt your feelings to face the fact that Thailand is not providing a refugee camp for impoverished farang. We're welcomed here if we are going to spend money to boost the economy. Very sensible. Not sure what other countries are laying out a big welcome for foreign welfare cases.

I'd be interested in learning about the "welfare" that Thailand provides for poor foreigners with phony embassy letters. I'm aware of none but maybe I am missing some big monthly welfare check. I have heard that they have chained poor, mentally disturbed foreigners naked to the bars in a jail cell but maybe that is just a vicious, racist urban legend.

Ok, someone tell me how you do this. I am an american and only show the letter each year stating an income of 2448 dollars a month.

I do not have a bank account in Thailand as i us a debit card. At the local bank for all my cash needs.

I have one check from SS for $1448 a month and one from divedends for $1000 a month. How the _uck do i show proof of income if I cannot show a bank statment from America?

If someone is doing the stated income of at least 65000 baht a month. Then please tell me how you do it.

I really do not want to pout 800000 baht in the bank here. One of my dividend accounts for 30,000 makes me over 2000 a year in dividends. It would be stupid for me to put money in Thailand.

Thanks

Number 1 you need a Thai Bank account. If you are living here in Thailand and withdrawing money from an ATM Deposit it into a Thai bank account then go back to the ATM and withdraw what you need with your Thai ATM card. A pain in the Ass but proof of what you deposit is recorded in your bank account. If you have $2448 a month earnings transfer it here into your Thai Bank Account via the ATM or whatever and retransfer it back to USA the sufficient funds you need there. Again a pain in the butt but it is proof of income from USA. You get a letter from USA Embassy stating your yearly income and have the Thai Bank Book showing you have the required amount deposited into the Thai Bank. Number 2 you need a drawn map showing where you live. Number 3 you need one or two passport photos. Nunber 4 if you have a yellow house book that helps also. If you have a Thai wife bring her and her house book. Number 5 have 2 photo copies of everything. You do need a Thai Bank to deposit your money into and if you shop around one will eventually give you an account depending on the type of Visa you currently have such as an Non O Immigration Visa not a Tourist Visa. Hope this helps you.

You cant just show your interest that you make from your investments that you make from your home country. That money has to be transfered to your Thai Bank Account and if you are living here in Thailand you have to live on some money and withdraw money from your country so why not have a Thai Bank account. I have to do it. I have more than enough money to qualify for the retirement visa in my investments but unfortunately I have to withdraw the interest from it each month in order to qualify for the retirement Visa plus show my Goverment Pensions. It's a little easier than getting a marriage Visa because with the proper proof it's done the same day but you still have to go every 90 days to show proof of residence. With a marriage Visa you will wait 1 month after the application is sent in before you get it plus iit's a lot more hassle.I just got my first Retirement Visa today with a lot less of things to do referring to the Marriage Visa.

Edited by DavidARoss

US citizens are required to report all bank accounts in excess of $10,000 (300,000 bt) to the US govt yearly. The penalty for not reporting is obscene, 50% of the account value or $100,000 per account. I assume they assume anyone with over 10,000 is laundering. That is why I, as an American, am not interested in triggering this report. The US govt is trying to get banks all over the world to report US citizens holdings over $10,000 to them.

Careful. That's 10K in aggregated money of all accounts in the total of the sum of all goes over 10K. What that means for example, is that if you have eleven accounts of 1K USD (at any point in the year in total), you must report ALL eleven accounts! Some people think they are gaming the system be keeping accounts under 10K. Nice try, no cigar.

This perhaps dubious report that some nationalities MUST IMPORT pension/income for extension purposes for at least two months prior maybe excepting, there has before NEVER been any requirement to IMPORT even ONE baht of claimed pension/income used for qualification. So if you earned a million baht in income and could prove that, I don't think there was ever any requirement to WITHDRAW that income either, and certainly not IMPORT any or all of that claimed income into Thailand. Not saying that couldn't get ambiguous accounting-wise, for example, how the earned income is accounted for, such as instant reinvesting, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

Whats confusing is that some individuals have an income but not a pension as yet.

So do they now want to see pension proof or income proof?

As many i know that are over 50 but under 65yrs don't qualify for their pensions in their home countries.

Private pension?

Ocupational pension?

Pension annuity?

Aren't those "pensions" just like the State Pension that you seem to be refering to?

Those are just 3 that spring to mind that qualify as pensions in the true sense

Penkoprod

What about investment income? I am not 65, so get no pension, but receive more than the required money, in (documented) investment income. I wonder if that qualifies, has anybody gotten retirement visa with same?

Like you I am many years away from pension cashing in time having 'semi retired' in my early forties and have been living in Thailand and happily married for nearly a decade now. It does happen you know!

So I also had to show my income through investments. However, even though in the good old days before The Crunch I had easily more than enough in monthly investment income to satisfy the Thai government's requirement and again when it was doubled later but I found that with Thai Immigration in my experience it has been less problematic to place the 200k and subsequently 400k in an account for a short period prior to the 12 month marriage visa renewal 'audition'.

"This is one way of looking at it. Still living here is a privilege and this is their country and their rules ... I do not see any unfairness in it. Do you?"

It's not a question of "fairness". In my case, it's a question of complexity and-- in my humble opinion, borders on harassment by Thai Immigration.

My income comes from several different sources-- into several different accounts-- at various different time intervals throughout the year. It's not a normal "monthly pension" as the outdated simple-minded Thai concept expects.

I've been retired for seven years in Thailand. I have sufficient funds and income to support that retirement. In fact, it's far more than enough to satisfy the ridiculous Thai Immigration requirement. I transfer money via ATMs as needed, because that is the least expensive way of bringing money into Thailand. There is no specific monthly income and no fixed track-record of a specific monthly transfer amount-- as the childish Thai requirement expects.

If I was going to become a "burden" on Thailand by attempting to retire here without sufficient funds or income, I think it would have become evident by now.

If they want to slam new retirees with this insane requirement to see if they qualify, that's one issue. Retirees who have proven themselves via longevity should be exempted and left alone.

Surfrider it seems you are the one with the problem not immigration. The rules over all are not a burden, but I guess you would like your own set to match your multiply sources of income and feelings of entitlement. But at the moment it is all speculation about any new rules.

It's totally crazy that the average Thai earns about 8000 baht a month, but they expect farangs to have pension incomes of 65,000 baht a month to live there.

It's easy to understand. They know that so many farlangs are losing all there money by spending it in bars and cars and motorbikes for the wife and the whole family.

They think for their own people............:jap:

Crazy they will issue a visa with a work permit to teachers who as a rule make less than 30,000 Baht.

In one way it is understandable. All though a Thai makes considerably less than a Foreigner they have a social network to help take care of them in there old age. Where as many foreigners have no real support here if things go wrong. Here in Chiang Mai there has been talk of finding some sort of support for Foreigners in need who do not have a big income. This is a problem that will grow in size as the population of ex pats ages.

I have never seen, nor understood, the point of all this "expensive drama" in wanting proof, letters from embassy, bank statements and such that is made by Thai Immigration, about our income and financial status for a retirement/marriage visa or any other kind. I mean it's not like the Thai system has got to support us if we are "short of cash" is it? There is no Dole here. No unemployment benefit. No sickness benefit. They don't even have a social welfare system for themselves, let alone us. If we don't have enough money, we either starve or go home - apart from a very few (one who I know personally), who may get supported by their Thai wife if she is working or her family if they can afford it. This is the case for any Thai that is on the "bones of his/her ass" through bad luck, loss of work and sickness etc. There will always be some unfortunates and more than a few utter wasters, that "fall through the cracks" for many reasons, loss of income either here or back home, things have gone bad back home, ill heath - physiological as much as any other or an accident, losing it all to a scam, really bad luck such as being wrongfully arrested here and being "cleaned out by the police" - the list is endless. No matter how strict or tough Immigration make the rules, there will always be people who crash. Some of you will be thinking that these unfortunate folks may turn to crime to get by, so we should try to get rid of them before they do, or not allow them in to begin with. I say, that those criminally minded were here breaking the law to begin with and will always get in, no matter what restrictions are in place. Just like they do and have always done in any country. Perhaps more so in Thailand, as the "pickings" are still relatively easy and they thrive in a corrupt environment. The main point I am making though is this. What does it cost the country, the government or the Thai people, in cases like this where foreigners fall out? The answer it seems to me is this. Nothing! So why make it so difficult for normal folks that like this place, who would contribute not take, to want to live and settle here?

Why is it diffcult to meet the requirements of obtaining a retirement extension of stay a few hours at most to put together your documents. I donot think any country in the world allows anyone to march in and set up house keeping without the ability to support themselves.

"The rules over all are not a burden"

Your opinion is duly noted, and -as the saying goes- opinions are like a**holes- everybody has one . . .:)

If you can't see the ridiculous unnecessity of this new burden-- heaped on top of all the other laughable hoops we are forced to jump through ( if it proves to be true ) -- then we live in different worlds and you can keep yours, as far as I'm concerned.

Your opinion is duly noted, and -as the saying goes- opinions are like a**holes- everybody has one . . .:)

If you can't see the ridiculous unnecessity of this new burden-- heaped on top of all the other laughable hoops we are forced to jump through ( if it proves to be true ) -- then we live in different worlds and you can keep yours, as far as I'm concerned.

I kind of fall between these two views. I understand the need to verify that retirees can support themselves, but what really bugs me is the ambiguity of the OP. It is not even close to providing definitive information for exactly what a targeted nationality with income letter is going to need. It's not even half baked, they haven't even turned on the oven. I also agree if they ever do explain their EXACT requirements about this, it is indeed an additional rather over the top BURDEN on applicants. It's hard to not get the feeling that they are turning the screws on us.

This perhaps dubious report that some nationalities MUST IMPORT pension/income for extension purposes for at least two months prior maybe excepting, there has before NEVER been any requirement to IMPORT even ONE baht of claimed pension/income used for qualification. So if you earned a million baht in income and could prove that, I don't think there was ever any requirement to WITHDRAW that income either, and certainly not IMPORT any or all of that claimed income into Thailand. Not saying that couldn't get ambiguous accounting-wise, for example, how the earned income is accounted for, such as instant reinvesting, etc.

"perhaps dubious report"? That's being kind.

It would seems the whole report was based on:

Quote from OP:

"It has been reported that along with the statement the applicant has made at their embassy stating their monthly income, for the past month the Immigration Bureau has asked to see proof of at least two months of pension income. This requirement is not just for new applications but renewals as well", says Sunn Justubavornchai, legal advisor at Sunbelt Asia Co., Ltd."

This is what the Sunbelt legal adviser heard. He heard that FOR THE PAST MONTH extra proof has been required. We are already aware that some Immigration Officers at some Immigration Offices have been asking for additional evidence of income. There was a long thread covering this exact topic in March. Two years ago the Australian Embassy advised me that I may need to support my statutory declaration with proof of income.

Nothing new here. In actual fact the statement is false because this has been going on for more than the past month - it has been going on for years.

... but what has this got to do with: "Proof of transfer of pension into Thailand required", the subheading of this post.

No explanation has been given in the OP. It skips the issue entirely.

The OP is wrong about Canadians too, who have for quite some time been required to provide evidence of income to their embassy.

Edited by tropo

I kind of fall between these two views. I understand the need to verify that retirees can support themselves, but what really bugs me is the ambiguity of the OP. It is not even close to providing definitive information for exactly what a targeted nationality with income letter is going to need. It's not even half baked, they haven't even turned on the oven. I also agree if they ever do explain their EXACT requirements about this, it is indeed an additional rather over the top BURDEN on applicants. It's hard to not get the feeling that they are turning the screws on us.

I have to agree with you JT about proving you have enough money to not be a burden. The OP has only stirred speculation and is very unclear in it's wording and lack of specific cases... So, I'll believe any changes when I see them or read a first hand account at my immigration office. I renewed my OA visa just over a month ago and it was exactly the same as the year before....

All thats happening here is they want to see that what you claim is reality.. If no ones telling porkies then I see no issue.

Apparently, once again, people from Immigrations have been reading ThaiVisa message boards to find out which loopholes are being exploited. Many times when someone has posed a question on this board about proof of income or meeting the minimums, someone has responded that if you're an American (or someone else whose embassy uses sworn statements) that you can just say anything you want.

Same was true back when people were shifting bank balances around and Immigrations then decided to require money to be in your account for several months. The geniuses posting on TV would brag about how clever they were and that loophole was closed.

Anyway, as someone else said, the financial requirements remain the same, but because of a few dishonest people we will all have to provide more documentation that we meet those requirements.

I don't see the relevance of the comparison of a supposed average Thai salary of Baht 8000 to the Baht 65,000 requirement for retired farang. It may hurt your feelings to face the fact that Thailand is not providing a refugee camp for impoverished farang. We're welcomed here if we are going to spend money to boost the economy. Very sensible. Not sure what other countries are laying out a big welcome for foreign welfare cases.

I'd be interested in learning about the "welfare" that Thailand provides for poor foreigners with phony embassy letters. I'm aware of none but maybe I am missing some big monthly welfare check. I have heard that they have chained poor, mentally disturbed foreigners naked to the bars in a jail cell but maybe that is just a vicious, racist urban legend.

In fact i had bought medical insurance in Thailand from AIS which is an American company(No one spoke English). Had previously been to Pattaya Bangkok hospital on many occasions with my insurance card for little things all under 10k but at that moment i needed a CAT scan, they simply refused my insurance and required me to pay cash! Explained my insurance and showed them the card as always but then they told me i may get the procedure and not pay.(had been at least 20 times before) I told them to go fornicate themselves and called the insurance, about a week later after at least thirty phone calls. The hospital at the time flatly refused my card because of the expense! My Insurance kept telling me they had to accept it but they would not! To make a long story longer. Got an attorney involved and all is well. Will never recommend Bangkok Pattaya. They give a rats ass about there patients even when they have insurance! In there opinion I was told i should leave a 1,000,000 baht cash deposit held in there account in case me or my family was injured ! This is what i was told! AIG has a contract with Pattaya Bangkok! This was there opinion! A previous poster stated that opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one but NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR FROM IT! Trust me their business office is quite smelly! As for foreign wellfare, i had insurance and had big problems, how does this foreign wellfare work even as i am paying Thai taxes for the last 4 years?, I hope my tax dollars did not go to pay some lady 5 million baht for her sugar fish!

Edited by FOODLOVER

I agree double standards. But maybe it would be harder to charge double prices from a farang if he/she was only living off double the income. 65,000 bht pension per month is a lot. Pensioners in Australia would be lucky to get 25,000 don't know where they come up with the 65,000.

It disappointing when people have access to the internet but don't take a few minutes to get correct information. The Aussie pension for a single person would be equivalent to around 43,000 bht/mth (not 25,000) and around 66,000 bht/mth for a couple. On top of this there are many additional supplements and concessions (eg. rent, electricity, telephone, travel, children, etc) and of course free health services. And not forgetting that many businesses give discounts for 'seniors'. I imagine this is similar to other 'farang/western' countries. You won't live the high life on a pension but you can live comfortably enough if you manage your money carefully.

Our 'western' countries have had the benefit of many of us working and paying taxes for 30 or 40 years or more and so there is an obligation to support us in retirement. And 'western' countries are relatively wealthy and can afford to do so. Thailand on the other hand has not had us working for it for 40 years and is not a wealthy country. Seems very reasonable to me therefore that Thailand simply wants to ensure foreigners can support themselves (and any local dependents). The basic 800,000 bht balance for 3 months/year does not seem unreasonable and has not increased over the years despite inflation increasing living costs in Thailand. Certainly the strengthening of the Thai baht exchange rate has made this more difficult for some farang but this is not a decision of the immigration dept.

My father on the aged pension gets $430 AUD f/night $860 per month that equates to around 27,000 baht give or take a few baht either way still way off 65,000 and if he was to move to Thailand to live then that pension would be reduced as they base it on the cost of living in the country you choose to live.

If he gets less than the full pension it is because he has other assets and/or income. Do you know what the pension would be reduced to if he lived in Thailand or are you just thinking it would be reduced? Not everything is cheaper in Thailand - it depends on where you live and how you live. Same as anywhere.

Repeating what has been said before: The Thai Govt does not say foreigners need 65,000 bht/month income. Nor does it say you need that much to live on. It simply wants to see 800,000 bht in the bank for 3 months each year so it knows you have the financial resources to look after yourself. They very reasonably give you flexibility in how this is done: lump sum, monthly or a combination. That is it. If you only need 8000 bht or 25,000 bht/month to live on, terrific. The Thai Govt is not interested. Just show them that you have 800,000 bht for 3 months each year. If your investment and/or tax arrangements in your 'home' country are such that you don't want to stump up this amount, that is your decision on your finances. It is not the Thai Govt being unreasonable.

yes I will keep mine as it has served me well over the years. Yours seems to have created a lot of anger.

I keep a home in the states. Sold my home that i had while i was working. I bought a smaller home and put a car in the garage, paid cash. So i don't have any debt. Just in case i need it in an unlikely event. So I'm good to go what ever comes down the pike. You never know guys.

Thailand could give a rats ass about the retire's. They want the big money in sex tourism and vacationing farang and asian . Enjoy it while you can. Thailand and all Asian country's are coming of age. I am a photographer of wildlife and let me tell you many Thai's are very rich. With huge disposable incomes. My thoughts in 10 years expats will not be welcome here. It will be impossible to get a retirement visa here. Same as America and others now.

My advice is enjoy it and keep options open. Or get married and stay. But if you are going to marry. I would do in soon. Before they close that loop hole.

Life is too short to complain and grip about things that you have no control over. If you have the 800,000 baht then you have enough to go home and do whatever.

Just my opinion.

Understand this topic relates to the "Retirement Visa Extension"; however, thought I would post my recent experience from the "Thai Wife" Visa Extension as I use the income verification form from the US embassy, as well.

In mid-May ventured to Bangkok Immigration with the "packet" of documents required including the income verification letter from the embassy (US Citizen). Imm. Off. requested additional proof of income in the form of pay stubs, etc. However, packet was processed and extension signed in the passport along with the date to return for the decision. Next day returned to imm. with the latest month's worth of pay stubs I had available (from March, the latest bundle of mail forwarded from the states), signed and dated the documents in front of the original officer was told thank you and left.

In 2010 similar situation, the Imm. Off. wanted to see activity within a Thai bank deposits/withdrawals. Next day returned with 2-3 months worth of bank statements from local Thai bank showing transfers in and withdrawals for bill pay, etc. Once again was told thank you and left.

So, my packet of supporting documents grows each year but no real show stoppers.

Ok, someone tell me how you do this. I am an american and only show the letter each year stating an income of 2448 dollars a month.

I do not have a bank account in Thailand as i us a debit card. At the local bank for all my cash needs.

I have one check from SS for $1448 a month and one from divedends for $1000 a month. How the _uck do i show proof of income if I cannot show a bank statment from America?

If someone is doing the stated income of at least 65000 baht a month. Then please tell me how you do it.

I really do not want to pout 800000 baht in the bank here. One of my dividend accounts for 30,000 makes me over 2000 a year in dividends. It would be stupid for me to put money in Thailand.

Thanks

Number 1 you need a Thai Bank account. If you are living here in Thailand and withdrawing money from an ATM Deposit it into a Thai bank account then go back to the ATM and withdraw what you need with your Thai ATM card. A pain in the Ass but proof of what you deposit is recorded in your bank account. If you have $2448 a month earnings transfer it here into your Thai Bank Account via the ATM or whatever and retransfer it back to USA the sufficient funds you need there. Again a pain in the butt but it is proof of income from USA. You get a letter from USA Embassy stating your yearly income and have the Thai Bank Book showing you have the required amount deposited into the Thai Bank. Number 2 you need a drawn map showing where you live. Number 3 you need one or two passport photos. Nunber 4 if you have a yellow house book that helps also. If you have a Thai wife bring her and her house book. Number 5 have 2 photo copies of everything. You do need a Thai Bank to deposit your money into and if you shop around one will eventually give you an account depending on the type of Visa you currently have such as an Non O Immigration Visa not a Tourist Visa. Hope this helps you.

David, I have had a retirement visa here for two years now. But no account here. But you are saying all i need to do is show 2448 dollars being deposited into a thai bank each month and that will satisfy. If so that will be easy. One problem is I am in the USA now. and will be here until Aug. Coming back to renew my retirement visa in Sept. I can show it on my account here, but do not have an account in Thailand. Hummmm. I might have to for-fit my retirement visa for one year until I set up an account in Thailand and have the required documents. That is going to be a real pain. I wish they would have given a grace period of a few months. Or allowed bank statements from another country to satisfy the requirement.

Oh well I really like retirement in Thailand.I will just have to cope until I get things in order. Seems like they would send a letter to all retiree's giving them a heads up on this. Just showing up and not knowing the new rules. Then getting turned down is like they do not want us anyway. Trying to thin out the herd some i guess. But you know I have seen many here I thought or know they did not have the means to be here. I have even loaned a few some money to get by on. I really do not know how they stay here full time.

Thanks alot David for the help.

Edited by garyk

Thanks

David, I have had a retirement visa here for two years now. But no account here. But you are saying all i need to do is show 2448 dollars being deposited into a thai bank each month and that will satisfy. If so that will be easy. One problem is I am in the USA now. and will be here until Aug. Coming back to renew my retirement visa in Sept. I can show it on my account here, but do not have an account in Thailand. Hummmm. I might have to for-fit my retirement visa for one year until I set up an account in Thailand and have the required documents. That is going to be a real pain. I wish they would have given a grace period of a few months. Or allowed bank statements from another country to satisfy the requirement.

Oh well I really like retirement in Thailand.I will just have to cope until I get things in order. Seems like they would send a letter to all retiree's giving them a heads up on this. Just showing up and not knowing the new rules. Then getting turned down is like they do not want us anyway. Trying to thin out the herd some i guess.

Fine my post from page 3 or 4. You donot need a Thai bank account. If this becomes the new requirement make a copy of your. US bank account and high lite the deposits of your income. Save your atm slips for spending money in Thailand in case they ask for them. many people donot have a Thai bank account but live off of atm withdrawls from their US bank account.

They have always been able to ask for more supporting documentation just seems lately to have become more frequent

Repeat you donot need a Thai bank account unless you use the 800,000baht or combnation method.

When is everyone going to finally get the hint that they are not welcome here?

Scammers and fraudsters aren't. Those who meet the the requirements are.

I think what you are NOT getting that retirees reading the OP who thought they KNEW what the requirements were, now don't know what they are. Referring again to the IMPORT of pension/income detail/rumor and how EXACTLY this can be proven if it is even real. We do know the money amounts. Not talking about that; they are well known.

When is everyone going to finally get the hint that they are not welcome here?

Scammers and fraudsters aren't. Those who meet the the requirements are.

I think what you are NOT getting that retirees reading the OP who thought they KNEW what the requirements were, now don't know what they are. Referring again to the IMPORT of pension/income detail/rumor and how EXACTLY this can be proven if it is even real. We do know the money amounts. Not talking about that; they are well known.

The OP mentions nothing about the import of pensions. It only talks about actually having proof of your income, rather than a sworn statement, which people can fraudulently exploit.

That is what I am referring to, and my point is still valid - the ones complaining about the higher burden of proof (as opposed to income) are probably the ones who have been scamming the system. It is not unusual for any government, anywhere in the world, to from time to time change evidence requirements to stamp out fraudulent behaviour. But here in TV land, it is interpreted by some as 'thems Thais don't want us here'.

In my book, if you proclaim to be retired and haven't got $25K squirreled away, then you probably shouldn't be retired.

(cue the "I can live in Thailand for 30 baht per day" mob).

The rest is rumour, and everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about it.

The OP mentions nothing about the import of pensions. It only talks about actually having proof of your income, rather than a sworn statement, which people can fraudulently exploit.

Yeah, sure thing ...

Headline of OP

Thai Immigration Tightens Requirements For Retirement Visa Extensions Proof of transfer of pension into Thailand required

In fact i had bought medical insurance in Thailand from AIS which is an American company(No one spoke English). Had previously been to Pattaya Bangkok hospital on many occasions with my insurance card for little things all under 10k but at that moment i needed a CAT scan, they simply refused my insurance and required me to pay cash! Explained my insurance and showed them the card as always but then they told me i may get the procedure and not pay.(had been at least 20 times before) I told them to go fornicate themselves and called the insurance, about a week later after at least thirty phone calls. The hospital at the time flatly refused my card because of the expense! My Insurance kept telling me they had to accept it but they would not! To make a long story longer. Got an attorney involved and all is well. Will never recommend Bangkok Pattaya. They give a rats ass about there patients even when they have insurance! In there opinion I was told i should leave a 1,000,000 baht cash deposit held in there account in case me or my family was injured ! This is what i was told! AIG has a contract with Pattaya Bangkok! This was there opinion! A previous poster stated that opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one but NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR FROM IT! Trust me their business office is quite smelly! As for foreign wellfare, i had insurance and had big problems, how does this foreign wellfare work even as i am paying Thai taxes for the last 4 years?, I hope my tax dollars did not go to pay some lady 5 million baht for her sugar fish!

First of all, if you have insurance with AIS, that's why the hospital would not except your insurance card because AIS is one two call. I believe you mean AIA, and again this is an AIG company that the U.S. Federal government had to bail out. If you want a good insurance company try Bupa, or LMG.

Barry

The OP mentions nothing about the import of pensions.

Yes it does

Posted 2011-06-06 20:41:29

Thai Immigration tightens requirements for retirement visa extensions

Proof of transfer of pension into Thailand required

BANGKOK: The Immigration Bureau has tightened the requirements for retirement extensions.

but no more explanation about this affirmation rumour.

This thread has been read over 25,000 times and has received nearly 300 replies and contain little more than rumours, speculation, what-ifs with a sprinkling of flaming and of course no new facts or official information.

Am I the only one who thinks this thread has become a self perpetuating doomsday scenario?